gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 01:38:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: River Song in Doctor Who...  (Read 4185 times)
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2011, 01:39:01 AM »

Hello there, Happy Easter hope it's as sunny over where you are this weekend.
While watching the new ep of Doctor Who which has a lady called River Song who may or may not be the Doctor's wife or something like that??, Did anyone else spot that the very week of the first year she was first introduced that the reissue of POB finally made it into the shops?.
Sorry if this is a bit silly but I was very pleased when this happened my two fav worlds coming together so to speak.
And if this has already been pointed out please point me to where it was posted cheers.
Enjoy the weekend one and all Grin
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 01:44:31 AM »

HA! That was a bit of a shock to see a Doctor Who thread here. It was like two of my online worlds collided. Bravo! LOL
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:15:54 AM »

Just done a bit of checking and POB was rereleased on 17th June 2008, And River Song first story which was a two parter was on 31st May 2008 & 2nd part 7th June 2008. So fairly close methinks Tongue.
Still it's a good link up with Doctor Who and Dennis Wilson Roll Eyes
Imagine if Dennis was casted as the Doctor!!! He wouldn't need an Sonic screwdriver that's for sure Grin.
Mike Love could be casted as Davros!! Cheesy.
Brian could be K9 always there to help out in the nick of time LOL.
Can't think of what the others may be in the world of Doctor Who any ideas??
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 02:35:46 PM »

Meanwhile, over on CBeebies, the veggies in Mr Bloom's Nursery sang the first few lines of 'Vegetables' a few days ago.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »

Just done a bit of checking and POB was rereleased on 17th June 2008, And River Song first story which was a two parter was on 31st May 2008 & 2nd part 7th June 2008. So fairly close methinks Tongue.
Imagine if Dennis was casted as the Doctor!!! He wouldn't need an Sonic screwdriver that's for sure Grin.

David Marks would be Paul McGann's Doctor.. the one only the hardcore fans remember  LOL
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 02:47:03 AM »

David Marks would be Paul McGann's Doctor.. the one only the hardcore fans remember  LOL
Ok then you twisted my arm, Here I go...
Brian would be the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) the most populor & the one everybody remembers. Cool
Carl would be the 5th Doctor (Peter Davidson) youthful and peace loving. angel
Dennis would be 10th Doctor (David Tenner), Or as Billie Piper nicked named him David "Ten-Inch" the most lusted of the Doctors. Wink
Mike would be 6th Doctor (Colin Baker), The one we all like to forget with funny dress sense etc. Shocked
Al Would be 1st Doctor (Willian Hartnell), who takes his time to get things done just like Al!!. Roll Eyes
Bruce would be the 7th Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) Come into it very late into the classic era. LOL
I know how silly this all is but i can't resist putting this down on here  Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 11:07:46 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9831.msg171227.html#msg171227

“We live in divisive times.”
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »

Nice one cheers Cool
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 06:00:46 AM »

How many Whovians have we got in here exactly? I'm happy to stick my hand up and say I'm an (infrequent) poster on Gallifrey Base, as I am here, and I've been a fan of the good Doctor since the mid-70s. I seem to remember Jon Hunt was a Doctor Who fan, back in the SMiLE Shop days, too...

2004 was an awesome year. Brian released SMiLE, and the Doctor Who revival started shooting! And am I the only person to see strong links between Russell T Davies (who revived Doctor Who for its 2005 re-launch) and Darian (who helped to bring the 2004 SMiLE to fruition)? Both long-term fans since they were young, who then ended up creating new versions of their former teenage obsessions.

So the question is: does that make Mark Linett Steven Moffat? OK: now I *AM* kidding...

MattB
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 07:20:54 AM »

Gallifrey Base Fiend here!

*raises hand*

Grin
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »

And another one here!  Grin
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:29:11 PM »

And here!.

Did everyone hear the sad news about Lis Sladen last week ?, she will be greatly missed.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 01:23:16 PM »

How many Whovians have we got in here exactly? I'm happy to stick my hand up and say I'm an (infrequent) poster on Gallifrey Base, as I am here, and I've been a fan of the good Doctor since the mid-70s. I seem to remember Jon Hunt was a Doctor Who fan, back in the SMiLE Shop days, too...

2004 was an awesome year. Brian released SMiLE, and the Doctor Who revival started shooting! And am I the only person to see strong links between Russell T Davies (who revived Doctor Who for its 2005 re-launch) and Darian (who helped to bring the 2004 SMiLE to fruition)? Both long-term fans since they were young, who then ended up creating new versions of their former teenage obsessions.

So the question is: does that make Mark Linett Steven Moffat? OK: now I *AM* kidding...

MattB
I'm on Galifrey Base too!!, But not written anything up on there, Hmmm maybe I write up the same thing as I've had on here LOL.
My brother is a massive fan and a editor for Sky TV, in his spare time has done a few fan things doctor who stuff on youtube.
Love the Russell & Darian thing, And yes Mark Linett is Steven Moffat to us!!.
Question is there anymore connections with Doctor Who & Beach Boys??
How about Breakaway released in 16th June 1969 last song for Capiton Records, at the same time as The War Games (Last 2nd Doctor story & last in black and white before colour) was on too.
Any more??
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 06:02:49 AM »

Maybe it's just me seeing connections that aren't there (as the 8th Doctor once said), but it seems to me that the Russell T Davies/Darian Sahanaja comparisons just go on and on.

Before Doctor Who was brought back on TV in 2005 (a revival that began with the assembling of a creative team in 2003), many fans were of the opinion that it would be impossible to resurrect the show as the mainstay of mainstream UK Saturday night TV viewing that it was in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. Plenty thought it would be necessary to utterly relaunch the show for the 21st century, radically overhaul the central concept, make it darker, more adult, more sci-fi or more comedic (depending on who you talked to). So many people were talking about rebooting the show, making the story start all over again, creating a parallel version of Doctor Who that didn't follow on from the original story.

Then Russell T Davies came along, ignored all of these opinions, and set about creating a new version of Doctor Who for a new millennium. Whilst his version was clearly crafted to work as a modern TV programme, and not as a show with the pace of a 60s relic, it was clearly the same old show (except to a small group of diehards, who insisted that he had corrupted the beauty of the original concept). Within weeks, the show was a massive hit with schoolkids everywhere, AND it managed to appeal to adults all over again as well (a position that continues unaltered to this day). And all while preserving the major elements of the old story. The diehards still talk about 'Classic Who' and 'NuWho', and treat them as separate animals, but the official position has always been that the post-2005 stories continue the story of the same central character as graced our TV screens from 1963 to 1989. A host of cleverly woven continuity references connect the show from 1963-1989 and the revival from 2005 onwards, and there was no reboot, no major reworking. Just solid time-travel goodness.

Seeing any parallels here? Well, in case you aren't...

Before a finished version of SMiLE was released in 2004 (a revival that began with the assembling of a creative team to work on it in late 2003), many fans were of the opinion that it would be impossible to resurrect the project in anything like the form it might have taken in the late 60s. Over the years, there had been many who thought that it would be necessary to rework the original material, make it more relevant to modern audiences, add modern production touches, or have the aging Beach Boys add new overdubs to the original recordings to revive the work.

Then Brian Wilson returned to SMiLE, and with the aid of his original collaborator Van Dyke Parks, and the invaluable assistance of long-term SMiLE fan Darian Sahanaja, they ignored all of these opinions, and set about creating a coherent version of SMiLE for the new millennium. Whilst their version was initially crafted merely for live performance as a coherent whole, and did not use the actual 60s recordings, the Brian Wilson band worked incredibly hard under Darian's guidance to reproduce the original musical arrangements, production, and feel. It was clearly the same music (except to a small group of diehards, who insisted that Darian had created his own fanmix of SMiLE, and corrupted the beauty of the original concept). Within weeks, the show was a massive live hit, playing to sold-out arenas all over Europe, and when the same arrangement was released as a studio recording later in 2004, it was by far Brian's most successful solo recording (a position it occupies unaltered to this day). And all while preserving the major elements and arrangements of the older recordings. The diehards still talk about 'the '67 SMiLE' and 'BWPS', and treat them as separate animals, but the official position has always been that the 2004 release was a completion of the original concept by its original creators. A host of cleverly woven links knitted the music from 1967 together, but there was no remixing, and no 21st-century overdubs on 1967 material. Just solid Brian Wilson musical goodness.

...OK, so my tongue is FIRMLY in my cheek here, and of course, there are plenty of aspects of the above scenarios that don't stack up or parallel each other at all closely. But it was fun to write...

...and I continue to love ALL versions and eras of Doctor Who, from 1963 to 1989, and from 2005 onwards. Just like I love all eras of SMiLE recordings, from 1966-67, 1968, 1971 and 2004. It is, quite literally, 'all good'.

MattB
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 06:47:22 AM »

Matt Bielewicz that was amazing just reading this at work on a break and loved what you wrote down. Will give a more detailed reply after work but cheers. 
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 11:04:59 PM »

How about this then?, the most popular Doctor no4 (Tom Baker) ran from 1974-1981, More or less when the Beach Boys was at there most popular too.
Arrgg I'm reading into things wayyy too much LOL
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 04:18:51 AM »

Another Whovian here.....Whovain since 1975.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 04:34:11 AM »

Hands up... been a fan since Baker started, and always watched (from behind a pillow) before that.  Used to run a fan club/newsletter back in the day…

“We live in divisive times.”
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 04:44:29 AM »

And yet another hand raised.

I used to post on Outpost Gallifrey before it went out of existence. I now check in on Doctor Who Online once in a while but very rarely post. In fact I have a grand total of one post on that forum, and that was to bemoan the new Dalek redesign (for the record, I was severely disappointed with the first series of the Moffatt era and really tuned out for a while).

What is this Gallifrey Base of which so many speak? Where is it?

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 05:43:49 AM »

One good deed deserves another, they say. And so, Catbirdman, in exchange for your utterly SPLENDID list of SMiLE material you'd like to see in the 'Game Of Speculation' thread, I give you: Gallifrey Base.

That list of yours prompted me to write a whole bunch of SMiLE-related questions down in one place which I've never collected together in one place before. I will be posting it in the next few minutes under the title 'Catbirdman's List: Questions, Answers, Speculation'. For making me do that, the link to Gallifrey Base is the very least I can offer in return.

MattB
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 09:22:37 AM »

One good deed deserves another, they say. And so, Catbirdman, in exchange for your utterly SPLENDID list of SMiLE material you'd like to see in the 'Game Of Speculation' thread, I give you: Gallifrey Base.

That list of yours prompted me to write a whole bunch of SMiLE-related questions down in one place which I've never collected together in one place before. I will be posting it in the next few minutes under the title 'Catbirdman's List: Questions, Answers, Speculation'. For making me do that, the link to Gallifrey Base is the very least I can offer in return.

MattB

Thanks for that, Matt! I registered under the user name Catbirdman over there. Won't be actually reading or posting anything though until I get around to watching The Impossible Astronaut.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »

Enjoy the episode, Catbirdman! I wasn't completely sold on all of Series 5, either (and I was surprised, as I liked everything Moffat had written up until he took over)... but I think The Impossible Astronaut is TOP stuff. As you'll see if you read some of my comments on it at Gallifrey Base (I'm registered under the same name over there, because, well... it's my name!).

MattB
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx