gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:59:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greg Larson RIP  (Read 8434 times)
Jason
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »

Greg Larson was a great guy all around. He and I were known to argue endlessly about every topic under the sun thanks to our love for arguing (and both of us never wanting to admit defeat in said argument), but he was an awesome guy to talk to. He and I actually talked about the Beach Boys very rarely; more often than not we talked about baseball. He and I also had many great talks about Leon Russell; in fact he told me the story about his purchase of A Song For You and how he played it endlessly. There were a lot of great times spent talking to him. I hadn't talked to him since October or November due to me taking a break from the fan world but every chat I had with him was great if not 100% cordial given our love of debate. RIP Greg. Keep getting those foul balls and listen to A Song For You eleven times a day, every day!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »

First met Greg back around 1995.  Lost touch for quite  a few years, but spoke with him again just a  few months ago.  I knew he was ill, but not terminally.  Very nice guy, deep love of the BB's. He will be missed to be sure.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 07:59:51 PM »

Really missing Greg now. He was my first Beach Boys buddy.

In these latter years I haven't been much of a friend. I hardly ever called him and probably left a few calls unreturned. But I did connect with him a few times this year and for that I am relieved.

When Brian debuted SMiLE, I was one of the many pilgrims who made the overseas journey. I remember procuring a tour booklet, earmarked for Greg. Upon my return, I promptly sent it to him, but I remember it somehow acquired the tiniest of smudges on the front cover, despite my best efforts to keep it pristine for him. Greg noticed, but he didn't judge. I'm sorry, Greg. I should have given you MY copy. You were worth it.

Greg had a great heart. More than anything, that's how I value people. He would never begrudge a smudge. He made allowances for his friends. He always saw their better sides. He had an open mind, and a deeply-rooted humility that allowed for foreign perspectives. At the same time, he lived fully in his own perspective; he lived in the eternal Now. He was my kind of man.

I've had a beer or seven tonight (Baltimore's own National Bohemian - or "Natty Boh" in the local vernacular), and I probably wouldn't otherwise post this. I've been hanging out with friends, revelling in the warm weather and the prospects of being alive. Back at home now, it grieves me that I can no longer dial up my first Beach Boys buddy, and swap stories here in this mortal coil. It's a crazy thought, this.

I just cracked open another Natty Boh. The elephant in the room here is alcohol. Poor Greg died from it. He never once hid behind the stigma, and he was an open soul. He was what he was. I wish so much that he could have mastered alcohol instead of the other way around. Greg, this one's for you. You died too young, and I miss you tonight.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 08:54:12 PM »

I never knew him, or really knew who he was, but I can see that he was well loved and respected. It's cool how a simple band can unite random groups of people together, causing many friendships to be formed because of it. Perhaps one day I'll see him on the other side, in that great gig in the sky.  Brian, Dennis, & Carl

May I ask how he passed? That "fading away" comment gave me a cold chill.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 09:18:58 PM »

I never knew him, or really knew who he was, but I can see that he was well loved and respected. It's cool how a simple band can unite random groups of people together, causing many friendships to be formed because of it. Perhaps one day I'll see him on the other side, in that great gig in the sky.  Brian, Dennis, & Carl

May I ask how he passed? That "fading away" comment gave me a cold chill.

The short answer is "I don't know." But I know he had problems with his pancreas for years as a result of his drinking. I'm sure his final demise was related to that somehow. He wasn't a tortured soul or anything. He was always very comfortable in his own skin. I always envied him that. He didn't drink to self-medicate. He drank because he had a disease. He stopped for a while but relapsed and eventually resigned to that state. My main hope is that he didn't experience too much pain at the end. If he slipped away gently, I'm sure he went out happy. He had a small but beloved place in this universe. Universally speaking, this message board is a tiny place, but it's a place nonetheless, and it's a place that loves Greg and remembers him well. I hope this thread goes on a little while longer...

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 11:20:59 PM »

Reading all these great messages about our friend Greg sure makes me feel good that I also knew him as a beach boys fan, cd trader, and all around good guy.    Greg provided me many hours of phone and email conservations.   I recall telling him I was going to the the BB Landmark and he told me to look for his Brick.   I happily called him when I was at the landmark and said I was next to his brick.  My wife took a picture of me pointing to his brick and sent him it to him.  He loved it!

I had the opportunity to finally meet him a few days after the Landmark dedication when he came up to San Francisco.   With all the great restaurants in the city, he simply wanted PIZZA. 

He's a special guy and all of you that knew him know that.   

Surf's Up Forever Greg.

Les in SF
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 04:34:02 AM »

Sad to hear this.

Met Greg a few times at conventions and he had a real spark & love for the music.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 04:50:46 AM »

Having lived in Oklahoma for nearly a decade now, I met up with Greg once or twice at Beach Boys shows. As many have already said, he was a tremendous fan of The Beach Boys and was very eager and excited when it came to discussing anything about them at any time. His enthusiasm was undeniable and if you hung around with him, he made it his duty to ensure you were having as good of a time as legally possible. He had plenty of stories to share and he almost seemed determined to give everyone he met a Beach Boys bootleg of some form ("Jared, have you heard them at Carnegie Hall? No? Well here you go..."). If he was at all "suffering" from any type of "problem", he sure didn't let on about it very much. He was "fun, fun fun" all the way (even after Daddy took the T-Bird away). I remember the first concert I met him at. He bought me a beer. I was only 17. He offered me several after that but I could hardly hold down the first. I hadn't seen him in the past few years and his passing comes as a sad surprise to me. But in my mind, he's up there with Dennis Wilson having a blast.

Greg was truly one of a kind. I'll miss him a lot.
Catch a wave, my friend.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:39:41 PM by JaredLekites » Logged

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
wilsonart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »

Greg...you always wanted me to join this board...only doing it for you!   I started Greg on the Beach Boy adventure years ago in Minnesota.  Greg always a thinker, planner yet unpredictable... I enjoyed making him smile.  Greg called to tell me I missed the boat for good seats at a show.  Early on during the concert Greg spotted me in  a wheel chair right up on the main stage. I'm not saying this was the right thing to do, but it brought a smile to his face.   You've got some Dennis in you he'd say.  Thank's  for the music we shared and some of the stuff  of mine he'd share with you.  Thanks for returning back to Minnie for some of Brian's concert's.  Greg you are a true fan and friend for so many years.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »

I have to add my two cents about Greg.  Everyone here keeps saying what a great guy he was, it is certainly true.  You had to know this guy to to truely appreciate him.  He had an unending passion for the band and the music, and ALWAYS went out of his way to share and help fellow fans.  Over the years, I've had the privledge of hearing some great and rare music thanks to Greg's generosity.  He never asked for anything in return.  It's a very sad note that Greg didn't make it quite long enough to see SMILE officialy released.  But we know he's smiling on the otherside.  Farwell for now our friend.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 10:43:55 AM »

I first read about Gregs passing on Susan's site.  I knew Greg (used to slip and call him gary) through the boards and pm's.  I too must mention his sweetness as a person and generosity in sharing BB media.   He was always there and always like a friend you had known for a longer time.  I have his return address on a letter he sent once still on my fridge.  He sent me things by regular mail.  I wanted to return the favor but he said he had all that he needed and was just glad to share.   

We're all getting older.
Seems obvious but,  it occurs to me, more profoundly each year, that you can't replace friends once they are gone.

Call an old friend today.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »

This is very sad to hear.  I didn't know Greg personally like many of you here, but he was a pleasure to deal with.
MBE
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2011, 11:29:10 PM »

You know he really always encouraged me as a writer. My final draft of my Beach Boys book will be done within the month and I will dedicate to him. If he hadn't given me such good input I may have never finished it. I sent him an early draft a few months before he passed and I hope he enjoyed it. I owe a lot to him.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 06:20:34 AM »

You know he really always encouraged me as a writer. My final draft of my Beach Boys book will be done within the month and I will dedicate to him. If he hadn't given me such good input I may have never finished it. I sent him an early draft a few months before he passed and I hope he enjoyed it. I owe a lot to him.

What Beach Boys book?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
MBE
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 06:24:37 AM »

It's a music based song by song biography.
ghost
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2011, 08:57:58 AM »

I knew Greg too. He was a selfless enthusiast of The Beach Boys & seemed endlessly pleased turning people on to the music, even new fans that he might never speak to again. Greg shared his abundance out of love for the music and nothing else. All things arise & subside. No beginning no end - only appearances. Where we come from Where we go. Wisdom. R.I.P.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2011, 09:48:33 AM »

Okay, so I'm rereading this thread....he was 62?!!? I seem to remember meeting him some time ago, either in Philadelphia or New York, and he didn't look much older than me, and I'm in my 30s....or was he just that youthful before he got sick???

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
ghost
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »

Okay, so I'm rereading this thread....he was 62?!!? I seem to remember meeting him some time ago, either in Philadelphia or New York, and he didn't look much older than me, and I'm in my 30s....or was he just that youthful before he got sick???

You may be thinking of either Glen or Gary - stand ins that Greg used for appearances.
MBE
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2011, 02:54:44 AM »

Don't know what he looked like, but man I do miss him. He and I got tight the last six months of his life though we had been in touch almost ten years.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx