gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:51:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys movie  (Read 4957 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:21:31 AM »

I was listening to "Don't Worry Baby", and was reminded of American Graffiti's use of period pop music. I think it would be a cool idea to make a movie to all Beach Boys music kind of like "Across the Universe" used Beatles music. The Movie could have seperate acts that use different periods of Beach Boys music as a soundtrack. (Act 1- Surf and Car songs) (Act 2-Today through Smile) (Act 3- Wild Honey to Holland)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:22:49 AM »

For the love of all that is decent and just...NO.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:28:24 AM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/10/beach-boys-movie.html

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:30:21 AM »

Actually, here's the original thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9405.0.html

Anyone know where that movie is in terms of production/release?

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:31:51 AM »

Oh wow i guess there goes my product pitch idea... Shocked I was just thinking of the Beach Boy's music playing in the background like American Graffiti does and not a musical like Across the Universe is.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:40:48 AM by briansbathrobe » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
aaktt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »

I really don't like the idea of this movie happening. All these modern shows with pop covers of classic songs are horrible, from Across the Universe to Glee. Whereas American Graffiti was great of course Smiley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 12:30:24 PM »

I love watching American Graffiti. The first time I watched it I was only watching it to hear 'All Summer Long' LOL...but it turned out to be one great film.

I only like the idea of the film because it will be great publicity for The Beach Boys - yeah, it will most likely reinforce the car/surf stereotype, but that car/surf music led me to albums like Pet Sounds and Friends. So I see it as a win-win.

On a semi-related side note: if it weren't for the movie 'De Ja Vu' I don't think i'd have been pushed back into listening to The Beach Boys.

Does anyone know what happened to the movie 'The Drummer'? It was in pre-production last year and was supposed to be released this year.

letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 12:49:22 PM »

Totally agree on this one Smiley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »

I checked that link to that old thread, and if John Stamos is truly co-producer of the new musical movie, that doesn't sound good to me at all because i am reminded of that horrible miniseries about the beach boys he produced where Brian was a blabbering moron and Mike was the cool headed genius in the group.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:49:30 PM by briansbathrobe » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 01:41:27 PM »

If a Mama Mia type movie was made using Beach Boys songs, I'd go into seclusion for the entire movies theatrical run, and the first week of the dvd release.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 01:46:56 PM »

I couldn't stand Across The Universe. Sure, the songs are wonderful and timeless, but once you remove The Beatles from THE BEATLES, and have a bunch of hip, pretty actors singing the songs, it's suddenly not so great.... Plus, they made some serious judgment lapses IMHO: like the grieving mourners singing LET IT BE during a funeral at the height of the civil rights crisis:...... Ummmm..... just "Let It Be"Huh? total insulting merda!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:55:23 AM by Erik H » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »

Disney was working on a remake of Yellow Submarine but in the end couldn't come to an agreement in the licensing of the songs. Could you imagine a remake of Yellow Submarine? I know the Beatles don't even supply their own voices but that movie is quite the icon of late 60's idealism. Why remake it???
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 01:56:55 PM »

I just wanted them used like american graffitti used all summer long and surfin sarfari used them as film score. I  cringe now mentioning in my first post  "across the universe" after thinking in depth of all those lame covers those actors sang in that movie. Beach Boys music has already been through enough cheese with Mike Love's traveling jukebox tours over the years.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »

It's OK. In concept, Across The Universe was a great idea!
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 05:19:32 PM »

Bwahahahaha.
Does that mean that a Cirque de Soleil production would be right out?
Pet Sounds to contortionists and clowns?
c'mon.  Razz

Disney was working on a remake of Yellow Submarine but in the end couldn't come to an agreement in the licensing of the songs. Could you imagine a remake of Yellow Submarine? I know the Beatles don't even supply their own voices but that movie is quite the icon of late 60's idealism. Why remake it???

Luckily that thing got stopped - it was going to be another one of those horrid Robert Zemeckis "Motion Capture" horrors. Maybe they've finally clued in on the Uncanny Valley. Since it's started flopping bigtime - they sited the abysmal performance of "Mars Needs Moms" as well.
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »

If the Beach Boys do a reunion concert, they should see if Jonathan Demme is available to film it. He did "Stop Making Sense" and Neil Young's "Heart of Gold".

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 02:39:41 AM »

Bwahahahaha.
Does that mean that a Cirque de Soleil production would be right out?
Pet Sounds to contortionists and clowns?
c'mon.  Razz

I like the Love-CD quite a bit but after hearing what they did to Presley's music I'm very disbelieving they would do a good BBs-show (well, the show might be good but the music....you know what I mean)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »

Actually, here's the original thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9405.0.html

Anyone know where that movie is in terms of production/release?

At The Beach Boys' show last month in Niagara Falls, when Mike was doing his usual ribbing of John Stamos, he started mentioning JS' involvement with the movie, but then cut himself short, saying "but I shouldn't be talking about that," which  leads one to believe something's going on. As for The Drummer, I have heard secondhand that it is mired in rewrite hell.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »

my sister had me watch across the universe the other night, and well, i was reminded about how awful those actors sing those songs. I will be scared to my core if this glee-beach boys film comes out and has random people who don't appreciate the deeper material and just like the greatest hits of beach boys just like what happened with endless summer in 1974.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:57:19 PM by briansbathrobe » Logged

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »

Was nothing learned from the SGt. Pepper movie?  Shocked
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx