-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:27:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Exodus Part Three: The Resign Thread + The Long Version Of What Happened
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Exodus Part Three: The Resign Thread + The Long Version Of What Happened  (Read 59725 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2006, 03:05:30 AM »

I've never witnesses John and Jon "ganging up" on anybody - they put up with more sh*t on the board than they should have, in my opinion, before finally banning those who deserved to be banned.

Refresh my memory-- other than the Professor, who else did they ban?

If crap like Lovestein's comments are now acceptable here, I guess I'll give up on the board as well.

It's not a matter of his comments being acceptable.  I don't agree with the tenor of them, and I don't agree with his comments on contributions.  I have no ill will towards Jon, John, or anyone else who left, no matter what was done or what is being said.  We are to forgive each other for our trespasses. 

If Mike had said what he said on any other part of the board, it would be a more serious issue.  But your reaction reminds me of the confusion that is part of this "exodus."  Some of them were mad that I moderated at all, mad that I ever censored language, deleted a message or a thread. Some were made that I allowed this part of the board to exist.  Some who have said I have been wrong to edit or delete threads have also said more than once 'if i were chuck, that thread would be gone.'  Confusion indeed.

So, no, Mike's post remains here not because it's been deemed "acceptable."  Right now, any moderating I do on this thread would only be fodder for more gossip and attacks.

Plus, while I can't subscribe to what Mike said, I also can't subscribe to the continuing misrepresentations.  The people who lay out their accusations now turn this into a running gag, as if an attempt to convince people I'm a sick, passive aggressive, harasser of women, is funny.  It's said I hate the Smile Shop, when I've shown no ill will towards the efforts to revamp that site or board.  It's being said I'm not a real Christian. 

So, no, Mike's post remains here not because it's been deemed "acceptable." 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 05:05:23 AM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2006, 03:18:11 AM »

1 FL4SH TH4 VE4L

Thanks, Chris.  Though I have to admit, I have no idea what "flashing the veal" means. 

wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2006, 03:55:39 AM »

I have to admit this is very entertaining...if anyone showed misguided behaviour...and people were offended...then they can cast their stones...if someone was naive enough to think that they could reveal personal feelings and info on the web and not get hurt...was naive...really...they need to go for a walk in the park...

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2006, 05:23:02 AM »

I don't want to be involved but I'd hate to think I/we sat oblivious to some problem: Are other women being harrassed by anyone through this board?

I doubt she ever was.  Charles is just her new patsy.  You can't trust a person with that credibility.
She is the common item in both "harrassment" cases.  What does that tell you?
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2006, 05:24:59 AM »

I've never witnesses John and Jon "ganging up" on anybody - they put up with more sh*t on the board than they should have, in my opinion, before finally banning those who deserved to be banned.

One day, Old Bean and Old Rake arrived..  with that Joseph Castrano fella that wrote in code.
There was a time when every single post of mine was ripped apart by the two dandy's.  If I
started a thread (a couple about Weezer were affected by this), they would hijack it and troll
it to death.  They would also make crude sexual jokes about me and my lady.  The mods
wouldn't do anything about it and then someone told me Jon Hunt was one of the Old Baggs.
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2006, 05:30:54 AM »

Swamp Pirate, please email me at smileysmiledotnet@gmail.com.  I need to discuss some stuff with you.

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2006, 05:51:58 AM »

BTW, thank you to those who have emailed me to complain about Lovestein's posts on this thread.  Again, I don't agree with the tone or content of his messages.  I don't plan, however, to delete what he has said, out of respect to those who have left due to unhappiness with messages and threads being deleted.  No more than I plan to delete Chris' post.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2006, 06:21:35 AM »

BUBB4 H0-T3PZ, 1 KN0W U H4T3 TH4 W1F3

Thanks for the shout out. I'm not sure what you are telling me, but I'll take it as a compliment. I enjoy your posts as well, and hope we can continue to have a good time here on the board.

I think this episode has run it's course. I'm heading back to the on-topic discussions and getting down to business.....
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2006, 06:40:43 AM »

Chuck, PM me at Shut Down and I will respond to you when I get home tonight.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2006, 06:41:44 AM »

You know, i have to jump in.  What i'm seeing here is just wrong.  People who have stated that they know nothing about what really happened are passing judgement on the people involved, and that just defies explanation.

Yes, the same person has been at the center of both "harassment" incidents, but it makes me a little sick to see people who have been complete bystanders suddenly start hammering her.  That's not right.  If you are not privy to all of the facts - by first-hand knowledge, not by hearsay - then it's libelous to make the kinds of statements i'm reading here.  What we might believe is one thing; what we KNOW is something else altogether.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 12:54:52 PM by Susan » Logged

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2006, 06:44:08 AM »

Chuck, PM me at Shut Down and I will respond to you when I get home tonight.

I will have to email you, Swamp.  I can't PM you on Shut Down.

Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2006, 07:08:03 AM »

Okay.  I won't be able to do anything until tonight.

I'll second what Susan said.  Like I said over at Smile Shop this morning, enough's enough.  Everyone needs to take a step back.  Blasting off on Laurie here or Chuck over there at this point serves no real constructive purpose other than to exacerbate what is already a bad situation.  All it does is validate what one side already thinks of the other. 

People make mistakes.  People forgive.  People heal.  People move on.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2006, 12:15:19 PM »

Charles is a nice guy.

But I'm not. And I have no problem tearing some jerk a new a-hole.  I'm not going to stand back and watch him get ganged up on and bad mouthed.

But I've decided to delete my posts because I don't want to lower the standards of the board.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2006, 04:43:30 PM »

I hope they don't think that this will blow over and they'll be welcome back here.

Scum.

We should keep a sticky on the "Resign Thread" and add Chris D to it, that way we won't forget what a-holes they are. Then we should change the name from "Resign Thread" to "Banned Scumbags."
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 04:46:28 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2006, 05:38:42 PM »

Wow.  The place clears out a little, and the real psychos come out of the woodwork.  Dr. Octave, Heywood Floyd, et al; you really need help.  You're coming across as a scary group of hateful sociopaths.  Glad I left.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 02, 2006, 05:48:53 PM »

Wow.  The place clears out a little, and the real psychos come out of the woodwork.  Dr. Octave, Heywood Floyd, et al; you really need help.  You're coming across as a scary group of hateful sociopaths.  Glad I left.

Glad you're gone.  If you left, how about you stay away this time?

Takes a big man to post anonymously.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 05:52:03 PM by TV Forces » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2006, 06:00:31 PM »

It's done. Over. A week from now, nobody will care. Swamp said it best,though.

The only thing I regret about all of this was AGD leaving, as I enjoyed the knowledge he brought with him, even if I disagreed with some of his opinions. Well, at least Desper, Boyd, and Linnett are still here.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2006, 06:05:09 PM »

I just wrote a 6 page paper on Buddy Holly.

My fingers and brain are too tired to contribute to this.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2006, 06:08:59 PM »

I just wrote a 6 page paper on Buddy Holly.

My fingers and brain are too tired to contribute to this.

If you were AGD, everytime somebody had a question about Buddy Holly, you'd be disgusted they didn't reference your paper first.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2006, 07:09:25 PM »

Please allow me the privilege of having the last word on this thread.

The most important thing I can say is this:  all of this, all of these boards, bands, music, etc. means nothing compared to the fate of your soul.  The most important question you can ever ask is "Who is Jesus?"  After that, when you have resolved that question, and the answer has led you into the family of God, everything else is secondary.

I'm pleased to see that things have quieted down so quickly.  The main parts of this board are very active, and the off topic area is almost completely unused.  The drama that has hung over this board ever since the Smile Shop was temporarily shut down has dissipated.  We've been given yet another opportunity to start over, and so far it has a sweeter taste than I could have imagined, given what led to it.

There are some who left because they felt it wrong that I, the administrator of this board, publicly discussed private messages in a public thread.  I understand their point and I appreciate they feel I did something an administrator should not do.  I've made this point before, and I will do it again:  I did my best to keep a private matter private.  My private messages were consistently being shown to other people, and once people decided to post, on this board, public messages stating I was harassing someone via a private message, I had no choice but to respond publicly.  Harassment is not a trivial accusation.  People go to jail for it.  Not responding would have been received as a concession to an action I did not commit.

Like others, I can appreciate the irony of the complaints about deleting messages or message threads, only to see the message threads about me on two different boards deleted today.  I appreciate the irony of being called passive-aggressive, when it was passive-aggressive behavior like publicly praising this board while railing against it in private that led to this nonsense.  Just the same, holding onto grudges only poisons the person clinging to the anger.  I encourage everyone to not use friendship or loyalty as excuses to wrap yourself in spite.  Use what has happened as a means to form better alliances, and not as a justification to create more division.

I reiterate to anyone who chose to left:  I did not ask anyone to leave, and I've not told anyone they can't participate on this board.  It's clear some who left were never happy here, for a variety of reasons, and in those cases, they've clearly made the best choice possible.  I do hope that anyone who wants to come back understands they are welcome to return and participate.  And I hope that everyone who left knows they have nothing but my best regards.  Again, there's no point in the continuing grudges that only lead to further anguish.

Specifically to Laurie:  I'm sorry about what has been said about you since this past weekend.  My intention was never to create a public situation where people who do not know you would judge you.  Unfortunately, when a private situation becomes public, ugliness is certain to follow.  It's clear now that I should have taken a firmer and clearer position on the bickering and sniping on this board a long time ago, and I'm sorry if any action or non action on my part has led to any unearned grief on your part.

Soon, hopefully, I will be handing over the daily operations of this message board to some capable people who have volunteered to manage things.  I will still be here, posting, reading, but I will not be the administrator, having to involve myself in every detail of the board.  This will give me more time with my wife and children, and everything else I do out in the "real" world.  It will give me more time to work on the Smiley Smile web site.  And it will also give some who left a choice to make:  if you left because you couldn't be on a message board I was running, will you stay away from a board I'm not running?

I'm going to freeze this topic, not out of censorship, but because this topic has run its course.  I will not delete this thread, however, at least not yet.  Not when the a charge as serious as harassment still lingers.  This will serve as an explanation to anyone who may hear the rumors and gossip down the road as to what really happened.  Plus, I wouldn't want anyone to think I deleted the thread to "hide evidence."  If anyone has any comments or questions concerning what has happened, please email me or send me a private message.

Thank you all for making this board and site the best it can be.  Thanks for participating every day.  And don't forget to use all the other Beach Boys sites and boards on the Internet; they each have their own special flavor and each add something special to the world of Beach Boy fandom, including the Smile Shop.  I may not be able to participate there, but you can, and you should, not to start an argument, but to enjoy the knowledge and wisdom of those who regularly post there.

God bless you all, and goodnight.

ADDENDUM, written March 22 2006

After some threads on this topic were started and deleted on the Male Ego and Smile Shop boards, I've had some questions asked of me and some statements made that require addressing.

1.  Jeff Mason state on the Smile shop "two boards has always been a pain, but I have done it because not every one came over to the Smile Shop... and Jon, I feel awful now. If I had known you were truly p**sed and still were, I would have left months ago. I would never have come back. I apologize if that was wrong."  I can vouch, after, per my wife's suggestion, reading messages from what is left of the original Smiley Smile board, Jeff, Jon and John, and others, were not happy with my decision to start my own message board and welcome what was the former Smile Shop community into it.  And while some were not happy with the months of activity that led to the "exodus," there were other agendas in action.

2.  Jon Busey-Hunt stated on the Smile Shop, "I understand wanting to know what went down, and wanting to understand fully before pulling the trigger. Its a tough row to hoe as it were because Chuck is going to do whatever he can to prevent folks from knowing what happened, deleting threads and all that, and it comes down to basically his word against ours."  This was stated in a thread that Jon deleted.  Jon on a regular basis deleted threads on the Smile Shop board when I hosted it.  By leaving this thread up, I've actually done everything I can to make certain folks can know what happened.

3.  Ian/Tommy stated to Jeff Mason on the Smile Shop, "He said you were happy about my banning, among other things. Not that I believed him, because I didn't."  Actually, I told Ian that Jon Hunt told me when I banned Ian briefly last year that he agreed with my decision.  While I do not have the messages Jon sent me, I have the replies I sent him, and it's clear in them that Jon asked for Ian's email and IP addresses so he could likewise ban him from the new Smile Shop board.  Obviously, things have changed, and Ian is currently welcome on both boards. 

4.  One person who left this board stated he did so because, as an administrator, I should not have discussed private messages I sent or received under any circumstances.  However, when the party receiving the PMs states on Male Ego "I showed two abusive messages from the Smiley Board Administrator to a few trusted and respected friends and asked them to be witnesses," and also states "when someone in a position of authority (i.e. the Board Administrator) is sending abusive and yes, sexually harrassing messages to a member, I feel that justifies that member asking for outside help from trusted friends in that forum community," and when those PMs became public discussion here, I had no choice but to discuss them as well. 

5.  Let this be clear:  Jon Hunt learned I was able to read private messages as soon as I discovered I was able to.  This was not some shocking discovery months later. 

Unfortunately, since anonymous posters on the Male Ego board continue to malign both Laurie and myself with lies and misconceptions, this probably won't be the last time I have to add to this final post.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 07:51:29 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: