gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:37:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Concert posters  (Read 64283 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2011, 10:26:54 AM »

Wow! That's a good one, Smile-Holland! I've never seen that one before. I have an early 70's U.S. W/B press kit with those same pictures in 8x10, but not with the extensive bios on each one. Where did you get that?

Really? I thought this one could be found on Ebay from time to time as well. It's a UK pressing btw.
It has a nice intro on The Flame! Which makes me wonder if it's in fact 1971 (seeing the late 1970 releases on page 2).

Don't have a copy, but I was able to make scans of a copy of a good friend of mine (from the flames-website).

It's definitely UK, it does show up on ebay from time to time. The tour with the Flame was Nov/Dec 1970: http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs70.html

Rocker, that tour program was from 1968. There were two versions - one had a poster showing the Beach Boys sitting on the floor in a circle; the second had the same poster inside but  had a few extra pages, featuring "inverticubes" that folded into pyramids with pictures of each member of the band.

Actually the copies with the inverticubes have a "psychedelicized" version of the poster; sort of a Day-glo effect.

( Blowing his horn) I have one of, if not THE best, collections of BBs tour programmes, I am honored to possess them.  There are still a very few vintage ones I don't have. so please send them to me!   I'll try and get busy scanning some more for your pleasure!  ( so much drudgery) 
Guess I should start at the beginning...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2011, 11:07:50 AM »

Rocker, that tour program was from 1968. There were two versions - one had a poster showing the Beach Boys sitting on the floor in a circle; the second had the same poster inside but  had a few extra pages, featuring "inverticubes" that folded into pyramids with pictures of each member of the band.

Here's the tour program I have from 1966:

http://sonic.net/~dsktracy/bbstuff/Tour%20and%20Souvenir%20Programs/pages/1965%20or%201966.html

Ok, thanks. Wasn't sure si I guessed because I didn't wanna go back and look on ebay again.
BTW if you are looking for that 1970 Sunflower-programme, I think I've seen it there too so it could be a chance for you.

Would love to have that poster. In fact, there are so many cool pictures in those books, which I all liked to have as posters
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:11:13 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2011, 11:16:36 AM »

man!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:55:44 AM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2011, 11:21:44 AM »

2nd
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:56:11 AM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »

3rd
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:56:40 AM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »

later
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:57:07 AM by bgas » Logged

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2011, 12:26:55 PM »

wanted to say thanks to the posters of these scans in this thread also...

and a special thanks to you bgas....  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2011, 01:22:30 PM »

The 60s programmes are cool. '66/'67 - the biggest band in the world....  Smokin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2011, 02:01:15 PM »

I have all of those except the '66/'67 program. Would like to have that one! I especially like the two '64 programs, which I got very resonably way back when.  Gotta put the '86 amd '89 programs up too, Bgas!

And when you have time (if you've got 'em) the covers and pictures inside the three Sea Of Tunes song hits folios. The blue ('64), red ('65), and yellow ('66) and the pink one ('65) Guitar Sounds of The Beach Boys with Carl on the cover.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »

early
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:57:43 AM by bgas » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »

The early autographs are VERY cool!

I'll take the May 9, '64 program from the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium! How much did that set you back, Bgas? That was a Beach Boys concert 3 months before recording the "in Concert" album at the same venue.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2011, 02:37:46 PM »

The early autographs are VERY cool!

I'll take the May 9, '64 program from the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium! How much did that set you back, Bgas? That was a Beach Boys concert 3 months before recording the "in Concert" album at the same venue.

Ahhh Graasshopper! I don't dwell on the prices I've paid!

Some of these have cost a small fortune, some I've scored relatively cheaply, and I really don't remember what each has cost me, thjo I might have kept the receipts for some of them. Not sure where I put them tho....   
Plenty more to come! The nice thing about scanning these, is seeing anew some of the extras, like the ticket stubs attached to some of them That I'd forgotten were there. Or the fan notes on the pages. or finding a page from Billboard tucked into one of the books! 
So many things to show, so little time left; Be nice to be able to post most of what I have; nice also that Smile is appearing this year. 

Oh well, back to work( so to speak)  If I was better at taking the pics( or had a better camera) I might not have to take them and then crop them, before I upload them, so I can copy the pictures here.  ( whine) 

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2011, 05:03:55 PM »

Continuing...  
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:58:17 AM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2011, 05:14:57 PM »

Before we all get kicked out of here...   

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:58:52 AM by bgas » Logged

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »

So cool to se these, bgas. Thanks for sharing.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2011, 09:33:11 PM »

The last one is killer!  Capitol advertizing the Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and watch for Smile in January (67)!  Artistic and style wise, the two albums are the difference between night and day. What a shock for a fan buying BB Greatest Hits, then buying Smile (if it were released). Even coming off Pet Sounds for that matter.....

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2011, 12:12:48 AM »

I wonder if the shock would have been greater than the shock of moving from Pet Sounds to Smiley Smile! LOL
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2011, 04:25:55 AM »

Fantastic stuff, bgas. Thanks for sharing!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2011, 04:45:47 AM »

Wondeful stuff bgas ! Thank you !
I love the Wanted: Jan & Dean -page  Cheesy
The Beach Boys programme with the Smile advertising is great. Look at the psychedelic font

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2011, 05:10:50 AM »

The program from very late 1965/early 1966 until the middle of 1966 has some of the best pictures of the band i have ever seen. Give major props to bgas for collecting and sharing with us such a wonderful collection of programs.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:12:51 AM by briansbathrobe » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2011, 05:44:20 AM »

Japanese Tour Program, 1966

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2011, 07:12:56 AM »

hmmm
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:00:09 AM by bgas » Logged

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2011, 07:34:33 AM »

Here's a 1975 tour program:

Incredible footage! You can almost hear them sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic... Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2011, 09:16:52 AM »

The 1975 tour program.  There's your evidence that Brian Wilson wasn't in bed the whole time between 1973 and 1976!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2011, 09:46:15 AM »

While trying to decide
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:01:14 AM by bgas » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: