gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:38:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Concert posters  (Read 64276 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 09:50:36 AM »

The Al/Smiley Smile standup;  9 inches wide at the farthest spread by about 16 inches tall. Foldout support on the back, which is missing. Hard stock Black/white obviously.  Have to wonder where these were used, and why I've never seen another.  SOMEBODY has to have one/some!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »

It looks like Al's head was super-imposed on the picture of the shirt.  Maybe the other Beach Boys had their heads super-imposed too. Somebody who ran or worked for the fan club in 1967 would know. Send the picture to Al - see if he knows.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 10:17:52 AM »

It looks like Al's head was super-imposed on the picture of the shirt.  Maybe the other Beach Boys had their heads super-imposed too. Somebody who ran or worked for the fan club in 1967 would know. Send the picture to Al - see if he knows.
Maybe. Looking at it close up, it just looks like a photo taken of Al. If there were others it would be easier to check/compare. 
I doubt Al remembers it, but I'll try and see.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 05:02:53 PM »

Page 194 of LLVS (Revised Edition) features a standup of Al and Mike with the Smiley Smile LP between them.  So, was this whole thing a standup display unit or separate items cobbled together for that photo.

Thanks for posting that bgas. Surely one of the more unusual pieces of BB related promotional memorabilia.  Shocked

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 05:30:10 PM »

Page 194 of LLVS (Revised Edition) features a standup of Al and Mike with the Smiley Smile LP between them.  So, was this whole thing a standup display unit or separate items cobbled together for that photo.

Thanks for posting that bgas. Surely one of the more unusual pieces of BB related promotional memorabilia.  Shocked

Looking at the ( really bad) pic on page 196 of the 1st edition, I'd say: it's a standup just like mine( or mine) and a Mike standup( probably the one I've heard of, but never seen) positioned in front of an LP cover , or print ad. Only because I'm not sure what sort of emblem that is at the top center of the cover.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:51:15 PM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »

Here's one of my posters I really like, even though it's only about half the poster( it's the important half) and I paid $10 for this beauty!  There's a pic of the whole poster on Tracy's site. ( December 28th 1962)

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 09:04:55 AM »

Not actually a poster...  it's the invitation to Donald Trumps 50th Birthday Bash: 

The top as it lays flat, before you open it   

and then once you pop it open/up, you're in the driver's seat! With the invitation a person received a colorful "beach" shirt, and a pair of sunglasses, neither of which I'm showing here. 

and then while I'm at it, here's a beach towel from the 1979 Beach Boys Day in LA:

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 09:07:57 AM »

oops. Forgot this alternate cover for a 1970's Concert Program( they didn't use this one)

This was , I think, going to be the cover( front cover on the right): 

and then these would have been the inside of the cover pages: 

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 04:53:32 AM »

Lovin' it!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 11:24:19 AM »

the second picture you show here was in fact used for the 1980 Europe tour programme. Also the inside cover pages. The outside looks different though.

oops. Forgot this alternate cover for a 1970's Concert Program( they didn't use this one)

This was , I think, going to be the cover( front cover on the right): 

and then these would have been the inside of the cover pages: 

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 01:34:32 PM »

might as well post the complete tour book...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 01:43:56 PM »

Gosh, S-H that's a beauty (better than the music on the album  Grin ) !! Thanks for posting !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2011, 02:22:03 PM »

what was sold in u.s. in 1980 also....

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2011, 02:51:49 PM »

Ok, Dennis' painting was taken from this picture:

What about the others? Would love to see the one of Brian....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:53:32 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2011, 06:52:18 PM »

Brian could be from the gatefold picture of the group from Spirit Of America album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »

What about the others? Would love to see the one of Brian....

Brian could be from the gatefold picture of the group from Spirit Of America album.

I think Rocker meant the photo that looks like the Brian pose( above). I don't see that one in SOA( at least in my copy)

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2011, 07:21:58 PM »

Isn't It Brian sitting with a cowboy hat or was it Carl? It's been many a year since I last looked at it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »

Isn't It Brian sitting with a cowboy hat or was it Carl? It's been many a year since I last looked at it.

It's Carl, standing. with what looks like a cowboy hat. 
Good memory, tho. I had to look.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 07:50:42 PM »

It's Brian sitting with a cowboy hat on.

Reminds me of the picture of him sitting on a plane with a cowboy hat on and a cigar in his mouth reading and issue of "Surfing" magazine.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 07:52:30 PM »

That seems like it'd be an amusing photo. Could you post it in the Brian/BBs picture thread please?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »

It's Brian sitting with a cowboy hat on.

Reminds me of the picture of him sitting on a plane with a cowboy hat on and a cigar in his mouth reading and issue of "Surfing" magazine.

Where are you looking?  My SOA LP doesn't have Brian with a cowboy hat.

That seems like it'd be an amusing photo. Could you post it in the Brian/BBs picture thread please?

Which pic do you mean?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2011, 08:04:11 PM »

OK, Bgas, you scanned the 1980 tour book. Now scan the insides of the 1975, 1976, 1977, and 1989 concert booklets, which are all very different.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »

It's one of my favorites. It's in color, and I'll see if I can find it.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2011, 08:15:27 PM »

OK, Bgas, you scanned the 1980 tour book. Now scan the insides of the 1975, 1976, 1977, and 1989 concert booklets, which are all very different.

NOT me man; that was Smile-Holland. Talk to him... 
I guess all the sixties tour books are different, maybe you should ask to get all those scanned for you too?
Then maybe throw in some scans from the 90's and 2000's? 
Whew!!  That'll be a lot of scanning; Hope S-H is up to the task. 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2011, 08:37:42 PM »

Yeah, the 60's tour books are all different too. But I'm not a scanner type guy with a lotta time, so....

There's a few posters of yours that I don't have, Bgas. Nice ones!  I have the press kit for Sunflower and a couple of others, but never saw that one before. Did I see the Sunflower and L.A. Light press kits earlier on this thread? Did you take them down? I thought I saw them last night.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx