gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681013 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 02:32:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New book for spring 2012: 50 Sides of The Beach Boys  (Read 5212 times)
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2011, 07:57:39 AM »

There had been some mention of this last year in relation to a Brian Wilson feature I wrote for Maclean's, but now I can tell you officially. When you’re done enjoying Jon Stebbins' next book – I personally can't wait – you may want to check out my own book 50 Sides of The Beach Boys. It's being released in spring 2012 via ECW Press, the same guys who published Jon's Dennis Wilson book. In keeping with the band's 50th anniversary, I am telling the stories of its key songs through the perspective of band members, collaborators, fellow artists and notable scribes. I'll keep you updated.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 08:07:09 AM »

Thank you, Mark.

You could have titled it: '50 Beach Boys Fans Can't Be Wrong'. To maintain the sly reference to their birthday.

I will get it.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:08:42 AM »

"50 Beach Boys Fans Can't Agree" might be better, Don!

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 12:43:57 PM »

Thank you, Mark.

You could have titled it: '50 Beach Boys Fans Can't Be Wrong'. To maintain the sly reference to their birthday.

I will get it.

And then put them in golden tuxedos on the front ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 12:49:52 PM »

"50 Beach Boys Fans Can't Agree" might be better, Don!

Right on the money!  LOL

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »

Thank you, Mark.

I will get it.

Just imagine: 50 of us oldsters here in Nudie's famous suits, waving their bus passes to a BBs show enthusiastically... major selling point for the book!  Grin

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:19:16 AM »

Thank you, Mark.

I will get it.

Just imagine: 50 of us oldsters here in Nudie's famous suits, waving their bus passes to a BBs show enthusiastically... major selling point for the book!  Grin

what you been smokin Don?  That is one CRAZY vision.  I dig it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 08:24:19 AM »

BTW I think this should be in the "honored guests"-board too, if Mark is gonna post more infos and maybe answer questions. Just a thought

BTW Mark, is it a collection of different interviews and books (I guess that's the only way for Dennis and Carl's thoughts) or did you do any new interviews yourself ?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:27:07 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »

BTW I think this should be in the "honored guests"-board too, if Mark is gonna post more infos and maybe answer questions. Just a thought

BTW Mark, is it a collection of different interviews and books (I guess that's the only way for Dennis and Carl's thoughts) or did you do any new interviews yourself ?

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm happy to answer some questions, although I have to keep some things close to the vest for now. My book is ALL new interviews I have conducted. That's my hook, and hopefully it will bring out new information and different perspectives on the band.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »

I'm really looking forward to Mark's book. I know he's put a lot of effort into putting it together. His concept is interesting as it will give us some fresh perspective on the music, with a lot of important voices weighing in on the creation of various songs. Congrats on making it happen Mark!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 01:09:22 PM »

My book is ALL new interviews I have conducted.

That sounds promising !! Since it's a whole book, I hope we get more that some "Well, I wantedt to write a song about girls and so I did"'s from Brian. And it's always the best to hear them talking about the only thing that's important, the music.

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 04:02:07 PM »

Can we get a sample of at least the titles/ideas for at least 10 sides?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »

My book is ALL new interviews I have conducted.

That sounds promising !! Since it's a whole book, I hope we get more that some "Well, I wantedt to write a song about girls and so I did"'s from Brian. And it's always the best to hear them talking about the only thing that's important, the music.

Agreed, I think that's by far the best thing this book potentially has going for it.  Can't wait to check it out Mark!
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 06:48:27 PM »

Well, I can say that in keeping with the 50th anniversary theme, I will be looking at 50 songs. Of course, certain songs have to be included. But in some cases a song that may have been a hit is trumped by a song representative of a certain era or that has an interesting history all its own. Solo stuff will be included. The people commenting on the songs are either people directly involved with their creation or people who have been influenced/amazed by them. As for who is talking about what, I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise…

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 03:54:03 PM »

Well, I can say that in keeping with the 50th anniversary theme, I will be looking at 50 songs. Of course, certain songs have to be included. But in some cases a song that may have been a hit is trumped by a song representative of a certain era or that has an interesting history all its own. Solo stuff will be included. The people commenting on the songs are either people directly involved with their creation or people who have been influenced/amazed by them. As for who is talking about what, I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise…
Would you say that you're mentioning at least one song per album? (just to cover all the "eras")

It's weird in BB-land, there's some songs that trump others...like I could see something like Good Timin' being trumped during the 79 era because it's not really representative of that era...(not that you can't use it for that era, just an example)....but other songs from that era, Baby Blue (which also enters into the Bambu area) or the not so popular Here Comes the Night, but is a good example of how the BB could have been perceived (when performing in concert).

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 06:16:30 AM »

Would you say that you're mentioning at least one song per album? (just to cover all the "eras")

It's weird in BB-land, there's some songs that trump others...like I could see something like Good Timin' being trumped during the 79 era because it's not really representative of that era...(not that you can't use it for that era, just an example)....but other songs from that era, Baby Blue (which also enters into the Bambu area) or the not so popular Here Comes the Night, but is a good example of how the BB could have been perceived (when performing in concert).

You've hit on the head one of the biggest challenges I have faced. I have aspired to include at least one song per album so that all the historical eras are covered, but obviously there are several tracks off Pet Sounds and Smile, for example,  that people want to talk about, but off Summer in Paradise, not so much. It also depends on which tracks are most personal to my interviewees.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 06:31:49 AM »

As long as you asked Mike about "Cabinessence" you can't do no wrong son....  LOL

- Jack Rieley
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »

SPECIAL NOTE ~ Just posted an interview with Mark Dillon, author of 50 Sides of The Beach Boys

http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/

Phil Miglioratti talked with Mark Dillon, author of "50 Sides of the Beach Boys: The Songs That Tell Their Stories." Mark unpacked the process of how he researched the history and recruited the 50 exclusive interviews with the Beach Boys and their friends/colleagues.
50 songs. 50 stories. 50 VERY interesting backstories!

Little Girl I Once Knew first song on Pet Sounds?

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx