gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:01:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cover songs better than their original  (Read 97223 times)
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 27, 2018, 06:04:10 PM »

I thought she had a great voice.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 27, 2018, 09:36:46 PM »

She didn't.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 28, 2018, 03:20:25 PM »

She did.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 28, 2018, 03:23:41 PM »

You like her voice. I don't. Plain & simple.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 20, 2018, 02:45:12 PM »

Not sure if lt's better but it's a pretty cool take on the Cream song "Badge" by Fanny. I must say I prefer it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M24xNZYXOZw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_(band)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 20, 2018, 03:40:59 PM »

It's familiar band name - I frequent Beatles.ru & some moderator raved about it few yrs back AND in fact befriended their bass guitarist, one of the sisters in band, IIRC. Cool, right?  He even posed with her, met her where she lives when she's old. Anyhoo, that's when I discovered that girl band. I too will not say better but they did kinda nice RS rendition "Let's Spend The Night Together". MicK sings it MUCH better ofc.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 14, 2018, 07:41:45 AM »

"Rockin' Good Way" by Shakin' Stevens & some American (I think? going by accent) singer Bonnie Tyler. Clip to it where they sing it is cringey, with 80s stupid fashion. But song's catchy & good vocs. Season-related, Stevens' song "Merry Christmas Everyone" is in Top 5 fave Christmas songs.

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 18, 2018, 03:46:16 PM »

I always thought Phoebe Snow's version of McCartney's Every Night was better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-NqKi7SMVU

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 18, 2018, 06:58:39 PM »

I prefer the Beach Boys' version of "Just Once in My Life" over The Righteous Brothers' version. Sure, the Brothers' version is great in its own right, with the baritone vocals and Spector Wall of Sound, but there's something about the mix of Carl's sincere lead and Brian's raw, aching pleading that comes through in the chorus that I just love. It just makes the song seem so much more, I dunno, personal, I guess? And I love the use of the synthesizer in the BBs' version because it feels grand but not overpowering-- like the vocals are allowed to be the star of the show.

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 20, 2018, 04:11:09 PM »

Talking about BBs, wish they didn't choose "Blueberry Hill" to sing. It's dull beyond. Couldn't sth. else be covered instead?

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 20, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »

"Rockin' Good Way" by Shakin' Stevens & some American (I think? going by accent) singer Bonnie Tyler. Clip to it where they sing it is cringey, with 80s stupid fashion. But song's catchy & good vocs. Season-related, Stevens' song "Merry Christmas Everyone" is in Top 5 fave Christmas songs.

Bonnie Tyler is Welsh. She comes from the same area South Wales as Richard Burton and Anthony Hopkins a place called Port Talbot. Cathrine Zeta-Jones is also from quite near there.

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 22, 2018, 07:50:35 PM »

Talking about BBs, wish they didn't choose "Blueberry Hill" to sing. It's dull beyond. Couldn't sth. else be covered instead?

Yeah, Blueberry Hill's not my favorite, but you know, I just looked it up and it looks like it's been covered by dozens of bands, so what do I know? As for something else? Hmm, how about "Since I Don't Have You" by the Skyliners, with Carl on lead vocals. I dunno, it sounds good in my head ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2019, 12:16:31 AM »

SLY in Beatles film MMT is way cool than usual song. It's really bizarre yet got the carnival/ circus tune flair about it.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2019, 05:36:17 AM »

Chocolate Watch Band's "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" is thousand times cooler than The Kinks'. It's super, add to it the fact the vocalist channels Mick Jagger as if Mick secretly sang as guest lead singer during CWB's INLEE session. Being Mick Jagger's fan, it's big plus.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 14, 2019, 04:31:41 AM »

Listening to Winamp shuffle, what do I hear? The Animals' spectacular "House Of The Rising Sun". It's sheer coolness layered with coolnesses. It's freshly cool as back then. The band did the song the best.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 23, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »

"Brady Bunch Theme" should be covered by The Ramones. Maybe Phil Collins. Either could sing it with dedication & de-square & de-cheesy it.

gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 24, 2019, 11:49:11 PM »

Yeah, Blueberry Hill's not my favorite, but you know, I just looked it up and it looks like it's been covered by dozens of bands, so what do I know? As for something else? Hmm, how about "Since I Don't Have You" by the Skyliners, with Carl on lead vocals. I dunno, it sounds good in my head ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That sounds terrible! It sounds terrible in my head [fancy compoutersymbols[
gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 24, 2019, 11:55:17 PM »

that version of "Man of Constant Sorrow" or whatever from Oh Brother Where art ThouI don't know what the original would be.

I know it's not easy to find on youtube
. It's one of those weird soundtrack songs, where you'll easily find the wrong version redone by the performers for their financial gain, but the actual performance you want is some  guarded financial secret.
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 26, 2019, 01:56:39 PM »

That sounds terrible! It sounds terrible in my head [fancy compoutersymbols[

Well, it sounds dreamy to me. To each his or her own!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 26, 2019, 05:34:52 PM »

Listened to The Roomates' (with single "m") "It's Cold Outside" - it's vocally better than Choir's but this song really doesn't fit doo wop style, it's really cool in its garagey style. Sure, it's doo wop band but why not sing garage just once? Since they covered, you know, garage song. Else they should cover sth. else. It doesn't make sense.

beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 26, 2019, 08:16:18 PM »

"Hush"

Its writer Joe South did a fine job on his own recorded version in 1968, and it sounds great, but for me, Deep Purple nailed this one. Their version of "Hush" just makes me want to get up and start dancing. The vocals are sexy, even the organ solo is sexy!

Gotta say, though, I despise the Billy Joe Royal version (the first version recorded in 1967, despite being written by Joe South). The vocals sound annoyingly nasal to me. Thank you, Deep Purple, for redeeming it!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 02, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »

There aren't many songs The Beatles covered that fit into this category but this might conceivably be one. I only heard the original by The Miracles a few months back and I've known this one since it was released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rokS8Ao4nQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27ve_Really_Got_a_Hold_on_Me

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 25, 2019, 10:49:15 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLkLs6SvyDM
gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2019, 08:02:31 PM »

"Takin away my wisdom, let it be.."  <I LOVE that lyric change
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 31, 2019, 01:52:09 PM »

I don't know if it's better but its certainly equal to the original. I used to be nonplussed by the idea of The Damned singing "Eloise" but it works wonderfully well. And you have to admit Dave Vanian looks yummy. Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b31L4P7G5j8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eloise_(Paul_Ryan_song)

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx