gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:57:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cover songs better than their original  (Read 97202 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 22, 2017, 11:51:00 PM »

Nice.

Found Glen Campbell singing "Hello Goodbye": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doO0MZhCtfo
It's short yet says "full version". It's the best Magical Mystery Tour track miles away & Glen backed with such arrangement definitely did it justice.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 29, 2017, 05:57:04 AM »

I like song "Dream A Little Dream", listened to possibly every cover. The 3 that stand out - Cass Elliot, Jarhead Ghost (in there garychester?) & Robbie Williams & Lily Allen's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MFx8ySwOVI

The backing track is the same as in Elliot's, Lily even took her style which I liked, it's during the last chorus when Cass sings some words in waves, up & down - "craving"/ "longing"/ "just". But Lily's got different voice so it's not too rip-off. Robbie does justice to song as well. I do think he's good singer but wouldn't say I'm fan.

Now, here's song I disliked immediately - "Shakin' All Over", esp. by Guess Who. But, the recent post in Larry's blog is child of the 1890s Mae West singing it with backing band Somebody's Chyldren (nope, it's not typo). Off-beat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9yo3dDJScM

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #227 on: September 29, 2017, 06:45:14 AM »

I like song "Dream A Little Dream", listened to possibly every cover. The 3 that stand out - Cass Elliot, Jarhead Ghost (in there garychester?) & Robbie Williams & Lily Allen's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MFx8ySwOVI

The backing track is the same as in Elliot's, Lily even took her style which I liked, it's during the last chorus when Cass sings some words in waves, up & down - "craving"/ "longing"/ "just". But Lily's got different voice so it's not too rip-off. Robbie does justice to song as well. I do think he's good singer but wouldn't say I'm fan.

Now, here's song I disliked immediately - "Shakin' All Over", esp. by Guess Who. But, the recent post in Larry's blog is child of the 1890s Mae West singing it with backing band Somebody's Chyldren (nope, it's not typo). Off-beat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9yo3dDJScM

I like The Guess Who's version of Shakin All Over.  But, I think The Who did a better version. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 29, 2017, 04:14:58 PM »

I like The Guess Who's version of Shakin All Over.
The vocal's unbearable to hear - too whiney & desperate.

KDS
« Reply #229 on: September 29, 2017, 07:18:38 PM »

Agree to disagree.  I think its a pretty powerful lead
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 05, 2017, 11:59:55 AM »

Agree to disagree.  I think its a pretty powerful lead

Nothing beats the original in my book, by Johnny Kidd & The Pirates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n327ncoU_ZU

As a commenter rightly says: "A rarity, a genuine English classic Rock n Roll record".

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 05, 2017, 12:11:50 PM »

Actually I came here to post Fats Domino's cover of The Beatles' "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey".

This was the version I heard first----it was released as a 45 in 1969 but didn't do a boiled bean anywhere. It got a certain amount of radio time in the UK.

I feel it's more of a song than the otherwise splendid original, which is more of a musical kick up the arse.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNeSJVUxOkc

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 06, 2017, 06:28:22 PM »

Favorite Beatles cover - "Hey Jude" by Wilson Pickett.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 06, 2017, 07:04:42 PM »

I was just listening to that last night! Great cover!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2017, 01:48:15 AM »

God yes! I'd be flayed alive for saying this on a Beatles forum but in my opinion it beats the singalong original hands down.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 07, 2017, 05:20:35 PM »

God yes! I'd be flayed alive for saying this on a Beatles forum but in my opinion it beats the singalong original hands down.

Duane Allman on lead guitar.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 08, 2017, 03:30:29 AM »

It doesn't beat the original - it's equal to it.

Beatles set the record as band covered million times. Question to B.E., JK & whole Smiley lot - what's your Top 3 favorite Beatles covers? To "Hey Jude", I'd add Tenacious D's "And Your Bird Can Sing" & Slade's "Martha My Dear". You tell now.

KDS
« Reply #237 on: October 08, 2017, 07:58:05 AM »

Beatles set the record as band covered million times. Question to B.E., JK & whole Smiley lot - what's your Top 3 favorite Beatles covers? To "Hey Jude", I'd add Tenacious D's "And Your Bird Can Sing" & Slade's "Martha My Dear". You tell now.

Joe Cocker - With a Little Help From my Friends

Helloween - All My Loving

Aerosmith - Come Together
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 08, 2017, 08:43:45 AM »

Well, it's a prolonged salvo of stupendous screams by the Wicked Pickett plus "Skydog" Allman's stratospheric guitar, against a lot of la-la-la-ing and Macca's self-indulgent ad-libs. Easy choice for me. But I digress. Grin

Off the top of my head, my three are Wilson's "Hey Jude", Candy Flip's "Strawberry Fields Forever" and Steve Hillage's "It's All Too Much"...

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 08, 2017, 03:50:30 PM »

Question to B.E., JK & whole Smiley lot - what's your Top 3 favorite Beatles covers? To "Hey Jude", I'd add Tenacious D's "And Your Bird Can Sing" & Slade's "Martha My Dear". You tell now.

-in no specific order-

Harry Nilsson - Mother Nature's Son [greatest, most faithful recreation]

Wilson Pickett - Hey Jude [incredible, authentic interpretation]

Harry Nilsson - You Can't Do That [most creative and fun]

I think Nilsson's Mother Nature's Son sounds more like The Beatles version than any other Beatles cover I've ever heard. Of course, the bigger Beatles or Nilsson fan you are the easier it is to tell them apart, but that's always true. Beautiful song, beautifully sung. Listening to Nilsson's various Beatles-related work, it's obvious how much he admired them. As a Beatles fan, I appreciate that.

I think Pickett's Hey Jude stands up in its own right...and then some. Most Beatles covers feel more like tributes to me, perhaps most are. Not this one. A lot of people would add Cocker's With A Little Help From My Friends to this category (I'm not crazy about it...I'd rather listen to the Beatles version 99% of the time). But, generally speaking, I think the Beatles just loom too large to successfully cover. You can't compete with their presence.

I'm kinda at a crossroad with a song, Hold Me Tight

I love love love the Beatles' version, but then again, I love Spector's version (The Treasures, I believe). Both very different versions of the song. The instrumental track to Spector's is far superior in my opinion, but the Beatles is more of a bubblegum/pop type song (IMO). To me, the Treasures' vocals on HMT is more of a 50s/motown/soul type.

What's your thoughts?

Which is better?
Btw, yes, blast from the past, but I wanted to thank punkinhead for bringing this cover of Hold Me Tight to my attention! Cool.

Hey Baby- Ringo
Also, this is awesome  Grin
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:53:19 PM by B.E. » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: October 10, 2017, 06:17:26 AM »

against a lot of la-la-la-ing
It's na-na-naing. Tongue

A lot of people would add Cocker's With A Little Help From My Friends to this category (I'm not crazy about it
Agree 100%. You listed 2 times Nilsson - if we change it to Top 5, would it be again Nilsson or smb. else?

JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 10, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »

Four Tops version of "Everybody's Talkin", I like this one more than Fred Neil's original or Nilsson's version for that matter. Leave it to Levi and the other Tops to bring out the soul in something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MOiUqk4mVk

OR, their version of 'MacArthur Park'. I never really liked this song until I heard Levi Stubbs sing it. When he does, I suddenly get it...the heartbreak, the longing, the cake left out in the rain, the stripped pants. It all comes together.

Yeah, I'm in a Four Tops mood today.  Cool Guy
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 10, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »

You listed 2 times Nilsson - if we change it to Top 5, would it be again Nilsson or smb. else?

I think I only have a top 3 Grin Those are the especially noteworthy ones to me. Perhaps I'd consider CSN performing 'Blackbird' in the top 5. That's another one I seek out to listen to from time to time. I've enjoyed many Beatles covers, but I'm also not particularly interested. I'd rather just listen to the Beatles! That said, I've recently been listening to Yusuf/Cat Stevens versions of Long And Winding Road, All Things Must Pass, and The Day The World Gets 'Round. He's also performed Love Me Do and All You Need Is Love live. Completely off-topic now, but (as a Beatles fan) I think it's pretty cool that after quitting popular music for decades, Yusuf reemerges with a great affinity for the Beatles music. Prior to his performing these songs in recent years I wasn't aware of any significant fondness for or connection to the Beatles (other than recording with Ringo once in the late '70s).

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2017, 06:48:53 PM »

Flamin' Groovies "There's a Place."  They do a good "Please Please Me" too.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:41:25 PM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 28, 2017, 05:40:43 AM »

This is new favorite "Summertime"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9vGp9ghpe8

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 03, 2017, 02:36:54 PM »

I Heard It Through the Grape Vine, Marvin Gaye....
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 03, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »

Long time tried to ID who sang the coolest, jazzy, luxurious cover of "Just a gigolo" I taped at 15 straight from radio. I went by Wiki list, 1st checking black artists as it sounds "black" - accent, timbre. This didn't give fruits - google jazz singers not listed in Wiki. Again, luck free. Later check it back, now scan the white singers with "black"/ kinda "black" voice. & what do you know? David Lee Roth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFV1biHrOBU

It's arranged as Louis Prima/ Sam Butera medley but vocally it's cooler by David. I say it as Louis fan. Didn't check Van Halen.

KDS
« Reply #247 on: January 04, 2018, 05:15:45 AM »

I Heard It Through the Grape Vine, Marvin Gaye....

Same song, but the CCR version. 

Speaking of CCR, I also prefer their take on I Put a Spell on You
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2018, 05:08:44 AM »

Short funny "Downtown" cover by charming Bennett Cerf in What's My Line Cheesy (Jack Jones mystery guest) But listen 1st from here: https://youtu.be/z9Ei0o_90V4?t=1254

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2018, 01:43:15 PM »

I was reminded today of this great cover I used to hear on Sky Radio in the '80s before it became blander than bland. Eye to Eye did it first, but to these ears Virginia David's version of "Am I Normal?" has something magical about it that the original lacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyWPChIR9ss

http://meaninglessinsights.blogspot.nl/2014/03/lost-80s-gems-1-am-i-normal-david.html

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx