gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:36:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cover songs better than their original  (Read 97199 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2016, 10:38:13 AM »

"Donna" by Hep Stars (feat. young Benny Andersson. Nope, not vocals) is better than Ritchie Valens'. Sth. about the guy's voice that I don't like original. The band singer has pleasant voice and it's overall well done. The only good thing about Ritchie was when he sang "Where...can.you be" as dotted note whereas the Sweds went simply "where-can-you-be".

Btw, not a fan of the song as is. Jus' saying what's better. As in topic subject.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:43:12 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2016, 04:29:50 PM »

"Donna" by Hep Stars (feat. young Benny Andersson. Nope, not vocals) is better than Ritchie Valens'. Sth. about the guy's voice that I don't like original. The band singer has pleasant voice and it's overall well done. The only good thing about Ritchie was when he sang "Where...can.you be" as dotted note whereas the Sweds went simply "where-can-you-be".

Btw, not a fan of the song as is. Jus' saying what's better. As in topic subject.

For comparison. First those Swedes: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aee7SEhv554

And now the fantastic atmospheric original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHBcblwYVWU

What a song, what a version! Tears me up every time...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2016, 04:57:21 PM »

I didn't pay attn. to atmosphere; I just don't like Ritchie's voice. And as I stated, I don't actually like the song in the 1st place. It just came up with other youtube results and by sheer comparison the Hep Stars imo did better. It's totally cool if you prefer the orig. I don't.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2016, 02:58:47 AM »

Dave Van Ronk & The Hudson Dusters "Both Sides Now" (as renamed "Clouds")  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3z7NxFbZzA  Never fan of the singer/song; Dave tackled it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 03:02:50 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2016, 07:05:30 AM »

Couple here that feature among my all-time favourite 45s, let alone covers of song (I may have posted one earlier):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhJypQzo1to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn8SFdyOA_M

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 18, 2016, 07:28:19 PM »

...& all this time I thought it was original (2nd vid). Gotta check the other versions to see which I like.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 19, 2016, 04:50:33 AM »

Original single of 1966, The Ivy League "My World Fell Down" written by John Carter  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2xbqExuB1o
[Fun fact: the Ivy League did back-ups in the Who's "I Can't Explain"]

1967, "My World Fell Down" recorded by Sagittarius. Glen Campbell sings  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs-oGEhDP0E
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 07:27:59 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2016, 07:51:41 AM »

The Four Seasons' "Lucky Ladybug" > Billy & Lillie's
They also covered their "La Dee Dah" but imo it's very annoyingly silly song they shouldn't bother. "Lucky Ladybug" is fun & joyful.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 14, 2016, 06:28:56 AM »

PLMW by "Andrew's Science Project". It's in soundcloud. Mind you, still don't like the song but this is better because they changed the melody a bit & it's totally different arrangement. I like the absence of main guitar riff. It's fresh & actually good.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2016, 05:09:57 AM »

The Carpenters "(They long to be) Close to you". Coz I like Karen. She is miles away better than boring Dionne Warwick.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:42:39 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 30, 2016, 02:32:00 AM »

Much prefer Otis's "Satisfaction" to Keith and Mick's... *reaches for hard hat*:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmnZRBTPzg0   

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 30, 2016, 05:55:16 PM »

Much prefer Otis's "Satisfaction" to Keith and Mick's... *reaches for hard hat*:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmnZRBTPzg0   

I disagree but I can dig it.

I may be alone on the obverse -- I prefer Otis's original "Respect" (particularly the wild Monterey version) to Aretha's.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2016, 03:46:00 AM »

I may be alone on the obverse -- I prefer Otis's original "Respect" (particularly the wild Monterey version) to Aretha's.

You are not alone (not familiar with the live version though).

I could never warm to all those sockittome's (straight out of the Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In show).

On the other hand I was so glad that Ms Franklyn was finally getting material that was worthy of her fantastic voice.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2016, 02:25:31 PM »

I could never warm to all those sockittome's (straight out of the Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In show).

On the other hand I was so glad that Ms Franklyn was finally getting material that was worthy of her fantastic voice.

John, Ross,  how are you guys doing tonight?  Stone's "Satisfaction" for me.  Otis' "Respect" - Aretha was just getting started.  Hard to say who had the best music overall.  Otis was cut-off so quickly.

Ron, and the captain's agreement on "I Think We're Alone Now" is so far out in left field it's difficult to make a comment.  Jaw drops.  Shocking observation.  That's the one where one should be going for a hard hat.

And I'll answer on the "(They Long to be) Close to You" - I like both about equally.  They were both great singers.  The Carpenters had a bigger hit with it.  Think so, I have both records.  Remember the Carpenters version on the radio more.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »

John, Ross,  how are you guys doing tonight?  Stone's "Satisfaction" for me.  Otis' "Respect" - Aretha was just getting started.  Hard to say who had the best music overall.  Otis was cut-off so quickly.

Ron, and the captain's agreement on "I Think We're Alone Now" is so far out in left field it's difficult to make a comment.  Jaw drops.  Shocking observation.  That's the one where one should be going for a hard hat.

And I'll answer on the "(They Long to be) Close to You" - I like both about equally.  They were both great singers.  The Carpenters had a bigger hit with it.  Think so, I have both records.  Remember the Carpenters version on the radio more.

We good, thanks for asking.  Hope u b 2.

You know I never liked the Carpenters in their hey day -- wasn't my thing.  But heard a deejay  play "Close to You" and "We've Only Just Begun" at a wedding the other day.  Sounded gorgeous.  I also enjoyed a documentary I saw on PBS.  Richard was a very adept musician/arranger.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2016, 08:42:40 PM »

I also enjoyed a documentary I saw on PBS.  Richard was a very adept musician/arranger.
Indeed he was - undeservedly gets backlash from fans here & now for not caring about Karen, utilizing her voice for commercial reasons. Comments in Youtube to the interview after Karen's death say that Richard didn't seem too upset & various negative readings of his posture & words. Well if he didn't cry maybe he doesn't like showing tears? Doesn't mean the event didn't sadden him.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 04, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »

You know I never liked the Carpenters in their hey day -- wasn't my thing.  But heard a deejay  play "Close to You" and "We've Only Just Begun" at a wedding the other day.  Sounded gorgeous.  I also enjoyed a documentary I saw on PBS.  Richard was a very adept musician/arranger.

That's how I felt, too.  I got into them after I got older, something like the mid-80s.  A lot of the 70s music was like that for me.  I grew to even like some of the BubbleGum stuff.  Crazy tracks like "Sugar, Sugar" - though in all honesty, it was only after I heard Alex Chilton do it.  Also, "Gimmie, Gimme, Gimmie" - and my friends give me sh*it for it!   They don't like ABBA, either.  I do, and did when they first came out.  In the 70s if you did like something like that, you kept it to yourself. LOL 

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 04, 2016, 06:56:14 PM »

I like bubblegum band Ohio Express. "Chewy Chewy" is favorite.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: October 04, 2016, 07:36:48 PM »

I would've liked to see Brian and Richard Carpenter collaborate, personally.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 06, 2016, 05:52:16 PM »

I would've liked to see Brian and Richard Carpenter collaborate, personally.
Smb. should arrange the meeting of these 2. Brian being polite would say 1st that he really liked them & their "Fun Fun Fun", Richard would say he's big BBs fan (he liked 3 "B" - Beatles, Bacharach & BBs) etc. Would be cool.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 06:11:19 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 10, 2016, 08:50:33 PM »

The Mavericks' jazzy "Are you lonesome tonight?". Sung beautifully by Raul Malo.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 19, 2016, 07:09:18 PM »

Larry as usual with brilliant speech https://ironleg.wordpress.com/2016/09/25/glori-loring-song-to-a-seagull/

bullman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 20, 2016, 04:29:03 PM »

Man, this one sends me.
Anybody on this board, I'm sure, can relate to the BB influence. I saw it live.
Straight No Chaser, A Cappella,...cover of Radiohead Creep...Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKV6MY5H-Jg

T

Who doesn't at least Smile during first 15 seconds of "Little Pad"?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2016, 06:13:38 AM »

To broaden this topic as "interesting covers", here's 2 by The Alan Lorber Orch. - The Blues Project's "Flute Thing" & 5th Dimension's "Up Up & Away". Listen by checking this blog post (& read too): https://ironleg.wordpress.com/2016/10/23/the-alan-lorber-orchestra-flute-thingup-up-and-away/

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2016, 06:56:28 AM »

To broaden this topic as "interesting covers", here's 2 by The Alan Lorber Orch. - The Blues Project's "Flute Thing" & 5th Dimension's "Up Up & Away". Listen by checking this blog post (& read too): https://ironleg.wordpress.com/2016/10/23/the-alan-lorber-orchestra-flute-thingup-up-and-away/

Most interesting. Thanks for the link. Poking around on YT, I didn't realize Alan Lorber arranged "Killer Joe" for The Rocky Fellers in 1963:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhEy743xwZA

And now back to topic. LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx