gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:45:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cover songs better than their original  (Read 97192 times)
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2015, 07:34:33 AM »

^ gnarly ! Smokin

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2015, 08:47:50 AM »

I always loved this version of "Gin and Juice," by Sissy Bar, since first hearing it in the late '90s. I thought it was spectacular in how it brought out the absurdity of the original. "I've got bitches in the living room gettin' it on..." and "damn, I've got a pocketful of rubbers and my homeboys do, too," from these voices. LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDq2FGsEGd8

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2015, 03:08:41 PM »

I always loved this version of "Gin and Juice," by Sissy Bar, since first hearing it in the late '90s. I thought it was spectacular in how it brought out the absurdity of the original. "I've got bitches in the living room gettin' it on..." and "damn, I've got a pocketful of rubbers and my homeboys do, too," from these voices. LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDq2FGsEGd8

Rather cool, that----although not cool enough to woo me away from Mr Cheese's version. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2015, 09:36:26 PM »

Belarusian band live-covers Yellow Sub & Ob-La-Di > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehFRmQ9G_r0 << This is seriously good; creative & the guys are all in sync, impeccable sense of rhythm. usually I don't give chance to non-vocal covers. Oh, & great national costumes.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2015, 11:58:38 PM »

I'm going to get sacrilegious here for a second. 

On "Glee" they did a cover better than both of the two original songs, Aerosmith's "Crazy" and Britney Spears "You Drive Me Crazy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFeNzkiGVJA

Unfortunately the autotune is so bad even I can hear it, but it grows on you after awhile and it's pretty hauntingly beautiful.  Something about how they made it a simple acoustic song and about a couple teenagers works.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2015, 05:10:51 AM »

Marvin Gaye's chart-topping cover of "I Heard It through The Grapevine". The Miracles' less developed version was earlier. Gladys Knight's version----a US #2----was recorded after Marvin's but released as a single first. Gladys sounds like she just don't care----let's party! Marvin sounds terrified----those floor tom thumps sound like a death knell. This is the all but unknown original from 1966:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH0Tzx5brVE

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2015, 01:48:11 PM »

I'm going to get sacrilegious here for a second. 

On "Glee" they did a cover better than both of the two original songs, Aerosmith's "Crazy" and Britney Spears "You Drive Me Crazy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFeNzkiGVJA

Unfortunately the autotune is so bad even I can hear it, but it grows on you after awhile and it's pretty hauntingly beautiful.  Something about how they made it a simple acoustic song and about a couple teenagers works.

It is shocking to bring up "Glee" but honestly, some of their covers were really good.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2015, 11:13:43 PM »

Sound of Feeling - Hurdy Gurdy Man It sure nice to hear a song defined as "psychedelia" sound like psychedelia. Donovan's voice just isn't enough, uh, fit for the genre. It's rather mundane, even effects don't help.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2015, 03:58:48 AM »

Sound of Feeling - Hurdy Gurdy Man It sure nice to hear a song defined as "psychedelia" sound like psychedelia. Donovan's voice just isn't enough, uh, fit for the genre. It's rather mundane, even effects don't help.

I love Donovan's "breathy", laid-back original but the cover by Steve Hillage is not far behind in my estimation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTpKG5jQIo

The extended coda is something else! 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2015, 08:18:04 PM »

This is sth. I've been searching - the version of "In the Mood" with vocals <- & that's what I should've written to find it. Slowpoke. Anyway, Brian Setzer Orchestra
I heard it several yrs ago on radio & ever since loved it. Cool guitar solo. [dat video, though... Epic fail]

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2015, 10:29:04 PM »

Mary Hopkin - Que Sera Sera. Really dislike the Doris Day version. She has no (special) voice. Granted, I'm not huge fan of Mary either but I think it has its merits.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2015, 01:39:47 AM »

Mary Hopkin - Que Sera Sera. Really dislike the Doris Day version. She has no (special) voice. Granted, I'm not huge fan of Mary either but I think it has its merits.

Sly & the Family Stone do a nice over-the-top version. When its album, Fresh, was released in '73 there was this crazy rumour going round that Sly and Doris were having an affair. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Son_p6sPeI 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2016, 10:15:26 PM »

Sly & the Family Stone do a nice over-the-top version. When its album, Fresh, was released in '73 there was this crazy rumour going round that Sly and Doris were having an affair. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Son_p6sPeI 
I'll change my Mary Hopkin statement. Though I wouldn't say I'm a fan of them either.
Didn't know that covering somebody's song=having affair with them. Some got very twisted mind.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2016, 12:01:33 AM »

This cover of Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift putrs the original to shame https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Fh83VwHRo&list=FLV1RDQ0_F5rhRw-6iYbh-8Q&index=27

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2016, 05:12:44 AM »

Wouldn't take much to put a Taylor Swift song to shame.

Speaking of pop covers, the band Halestorm does a killer hard rock cover of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2016, 07:23:22 AM »

Actually I think Ryan Adams's 2015 cover of Taylor Swift's 1989 is pretty good, start to finish, if you're interested in a sort of roots-rock meets Nebraska sound. Swift is a talented writer. I didn't care for the production style of her version of 1989--to me, that synth-driven '80s sound was annoying then and more so now--but the songs are good.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2016, 07:53:09 AM »

Actually I think Ryan Adams's 2015 cover of Taylor Swift's 1989 is pretty good, start to finish, if you're interested in a sort of roots-rock meets Nebraska sound. Swift is a talented writer. I didn't care for the production style of her version of 1989--to me, that synth-driven '80s sound was annoying then and more so now--but the songs are good.

I've heard bits of pieces, but I'm not really a fan of Ryan Adams either. 

Plus, I think certain songs can't be fixed.  IMO, Swift has written a couple of those ie. Bad Blood and Shake It Off.  Nothing more than earworms. 

I remember a few years ago, Alanis Morrisette jokingly released a piano ballad version of Black Eyed Peas "My Humps."  That was pretty amusing. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2016, 07:59:48 AM »

Plus, I think certain songs can't be fixed.  IMO, Swift has written a couple of those ie. Bad Blood and Shake It Off.  Nothing more than earworms. 

I remember a few years ago, Alanis Morrisette jokingly released a piano ballad version of Black Eyed Peas "My Humps."  That was pretty amusing. 

I'm not an Adams fan generally, either. In fact, not at all. This is the only album of his I've ever bought and liked. I agree with most everything else you've said except the specific examples (e.g., some songs can't be fixed). But I also don't think earworms should be discredited, either. A little dessert can be worked into a well-balanced diet.

KDS
« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2016, 08:18:30 AM »

I'm not an Adams fan generally, either. In fact, not at all. This is the only album of his I've ever bought and liked. I agree with most everything else you've said except the specific examples (e.g., some songs can't be fixed). But I also don't think earworms should be discredited, either. A little dessert can be worked into a well-balanced diet.

Capt,

We'll have to agree to disagree on earworms.  I think most Top 40 today is just the worst type of mindless, soulless, vapid pop. 

And, keep in mind, I hold that opinion as somebody who's a huge fan of the so-called hair metal movement.  Smiley  I'll listen to that if I want a good dessert. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 03, 2016, 08:27:31 AM »

I agree that most Top 40 is indeed as you describe it. But I wouldn't call most of it earworms, either. Most is entirely forgettable, which is the opposite of an earworm.

As for the disagreement, that's fine by me. I need not be agreed with ... JUST FEARED AND OBEYED! (OK, I don't need those things either.)

KDS
« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2016, 09:49:47 AM »

I agree that most Top 40 is indeed as you describe it. But I wouldn't call most of it earworms, either. Most is entirely forgettable, which is the opposite of an earworm.

As for the disagreement, that's fine by me. I need not be agreed with ... JUST FEARED AND OBEYED! (OK, I don't need those things either.)

Most of the Top 40 songs I've heard get instantly buried in my brain, and usually won't leave until I'm able to flush them out with much more quality music. 

I'm 100% convinced that's why many of these songs sell.  I mean, could that many people actually have liked Izzy Azalea's Fancy?  I think they got the song in their head, couldn't get it out, and that somehow compelled them to buy it. 

Getting back to covers, I really enjoyed Disturbed's version of Shout by Tears for Fears in 2000.  But Disturbed's recently released cover of Simon and Garfunkel's The Sound of Silence is horrid. 
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2016, 12:19:40 PM »

This lady (I think she might be angel, on account of her voice and having a harp) does an incredible cover of a Swans song. I'm hesitant to say it's better than the original, but she conjures up much more emotion than the original even tried to. It's pretty wonderful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54c_aayWn6w&ab_channel=EliseMorton
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2016, 09:33:32 AM »

Ima REALLLLLLLY go Sacrilegious on this one.  I doubt 10% would agree... but I've grown to appreciate Tiffany's "I Think We're Alone Now" over the original by the incredible Tommy James & the Shondells. 

Of course the original is a great song and well produced, well written... great guitar work as always... but when Tiffany redid it, it finally got the 1 thing it was missing, the youthful sound of young love that the song is written about.  She's not even a very good singer... but she was a young girl and it feels more right than the original. 

Tommy James & the Shondells - I think we're alone now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkMFLUXTEwM

Tiffany - I think we're alone now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Q3mHyzn78
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2016, 04:30:01 PM »

I agree.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2016, 08:12:52 AM »

I went backpage to make sure it wasn't posted: "Heart and Soul" by Jan&Dean. When today it came out on shuffle, I had to listen it again. Larry Clinton is nice but there is sth. pure & sincere in the way Jan sings with Dean delaying. I like their vocal blend. That & double-tracked (?) piano.
If I went to New York, my 1st stop would be FAO Schwarz. There is walking piano; Tom Hanks & Robert Loggia played it in the film "Big". They did "Heart & Soul" & "Chopsticks". Favorite scene of the whole movie.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx