gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:56:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cover songs better than their original  (Read 97175 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »

Alright!  I got one.  

"Crystal Blue Persusasion" the famous version of course is by Tommy James and the Shondells.  I have nothing bur respect for them of course, they are excellent and the song is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2821Jvnaeg8

That came out in 1969.

---------------------------------------------------------

Joe Bataan's version from 1972 .... in my opinion, even better.  This is the best type of cover.  They took a great song, and a great recording, and did it in their own style, showing the song the respect it deserves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18GLgSghXZ8

Interesting? Yes. No way I would say it was better though. They turned it into some rather generic soul music. It's not bad, but not unique like the original.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:57:17 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2014, 07:24:36 AM »

As much as I love Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, the Jackson 5 recording of Who's Loving You knocks out the original. This little guy had so much soul it was ridiculous. Smokey turns in a fine performance but Michael really got the heart of the thing.

The Miracles

The Jackson 5
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:28:06 AM by MugginsXO » Logged

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2014, 07:34:33 AM »

The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore by The Walker Brothers (1966) is waaaaay better than the original Frankie Valli version (1965). Heck, until recently I thought that the Walker Brothers version WAS the original, but nope. Anyway, Valli's version just lacks the drama and dynamics of the Walker's, which is strange, because when I think of Valli, I don't think  "subdued". I've always loved that Walker Brothers record though.
Wow, never knew that Frankie sang it. The melody is very beautiful regardless of who's on lead. But yes, The Walker Bros. for me too. I prefer them over The Righteous.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2014, 05:46:57 AM »

Many songs that regarded classics cannot be enjoyed heard by another artist. Other case in point - when you think the cover increasingly makes you forget the original. And 3rd - when nothing hits home, not any version. So, for me until now it's been "Brown Eyed Handsome Man". John Fogerty, Berry or the worst off the bunch Paul McCartney's - I just didn't & couldn't like it. Listening to Buddy Holly's "20 Golden Greats" CD - need to say, I knew him only by "That'll Be the Day" (my go-to favorite, heard it on radio in 2006 & still love it), "Words of Love" & 2 "Peggy Sue" numbers - I find out he sang on this Chuck tune! I mean, how cool is that, one rocker covering another? Maybe that notion did the mind trick, I wouldn't know, but nonetheless, it was fun! Real fun. What I've noticed about Buddy Holly records is the guitar work, it's so good! Notably on "Wishing", the last song on the same CD - so ahead & inventive for its time. It's a little charming tune. "Well...All Right" is a goodun as well, but not nearly enough to fit this thread.

So, Buddy Holly beats Chuck Berry on "Brown Eyed...".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2014, 07:24:51 AM »

Elusive by Lianne La Haves is a superior cover of

Elusive by Scott Matthews.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2014, 03:59:23 PM »

I like The Isley Bros' "Summer Breeze" better than Seals & Crofts' original.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2014, 07:40:39 PM »

In 1969 Judy Collins recorded "Someday Soon"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jn90y9H9S4

In 1983 Moe Bandy recorded a far superior version of the same song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNFUQIHsQOQ

In 1991, Suzy Bogguss recorded a version even better than THAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tEu9vUemgI

Over the years, Moe Bandy's voice got much thicker, soulful, and expressive.  As a result, when he sings the song NOW, it's become the definitive version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nTHxPcuojg

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2014, 07:56:08 PM »

Yes!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2014, 08:18:02 PM »

Thanks for these, Ron! That was an interesting chain. I liked them all, but I still gotta say that no one can better the original with Judy's pure celtic princess kinda voice (yes, I know, she's American).

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2014, 04:21:47 AM »

They do a bunch of good covers. I love their Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight. Their Ohio is good too.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »

There are many on this page I disagree with, but a few I am quick to defend.  Swing Out Sister Owns "Am I the Same Girl" tho' I like "Soulful Strut" - but you are comparing an instrumental.  And as much as I love Dusty.  Not on this one.

I've never heard anybody do "Someday Soon" like Judy.  There are many singer/songwriters she bettered with her choice of material.  That would be a long list.

Don't think I've posted in this thread before.  This is all just personal tastes - subjective.  Another place to post lists.  Does it ever change your mind to hear what somebody else thinks is better?  Not me.

And Mari, you're kidding on that "Alfie" pick, right?  Burt?  Burt did it better?  That's like saying Stephen Sondheim sings one of his songs better than the folks whose loving hands he put them in.  I own those two Sondheim records he put out doing his own songs.  Nice enough, but Feel is not enough in the case of any of them.  As is the case with Burt.

I do agree a bit, but only a bit with the Walker Brothers choice over the Four Seasons.  On that one song.  I like the Righteous Brothers way more than the Walker Brothers.  Do you think they could have done "Ebb Tide" as well?  Scott's voice and especially his material is an acquired taste.  No contest to the Four Seasons topping both groups.  My opinion.   "Brown Eyed Handsome Man" goes to Chuck.  He did many of his songs better than others, he's just not remembered for doing so.  "Words of Love" to The Beatles.  "Well All Right" to Blind Faith.  "That'll Be the Day" to maybe Linda Ronstadt.  I could go on all day with who did Holly better than Holly.  Holly was one of the artists who didn't do his own songs as well as others.  That's My Opinion.  Many would disagree.  I don't own any of his records, but I do have a comp of others doing his.  Damn, now I'm making lists.  I'm not trying to come off as angry, but sometimes I feel baited.  Just my choices - same as all of you.  Did it change your mind?   

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »

"Brown Eyed Handsome Man" goes to Chuck.  He did many of his songs better than others, he's just not remembered for doing so.  "Words of Love" to The Beatles.  "Well All Right" to Blind Faith.  "That'll Be the Day" to maybe Linda Ronstadt.  I could go on all day with who did Holly better than Holly.  Holly was one of the artists who didn't do his own songs as well as others.  That's My Opinion.  Many would disagree.  I don't own any of his records, but I do have a comp of others doing his.  Damn, now I'm making lists.  I'm not trying to come off as angry, but sometimes I feel baited.  Just my choices - same as all of you.  Did it change your mind?   

Interesting, I'd have never picked a single Buddy Holly cover as better than the original--at least not any that come to mind or that you mentioned. But then again, I really love Buddy Holly, and heard him on my dad's records in my formative years. (I tend to think sometimes experiential things like that play into our tastes as much as their pure sound, for what it's worth.) It doesn't bother me whether anyone agrees or disagrees, really, so I definitely don't mind your opinion. Just surprising to me, is all. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say they generally prefer Holly's songs by other people in the way that you do with, say, Bob Dylan (where the next sentence is inevitably along the lines of "he writes great songs, he just can't sing." With which I also disagree, by the way.).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2014, 04:22:07 PM »

Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down - Nancy Sinatra, original by Cher
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »

I like Frank Sinatra's version, too. However, in all fairness, Cher's version is great and credit goes to Sonny Bono for writing the song!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2014, 10:02:57 PM »

Does it ever change your mind to hear what somebody else thinks is better?  Not me.
Same here.

And Mari, you're kidding on that "Alfie" pick, right?  Burt?  Burt did it better?  That's like saying Stephen Sondheim sings one of his songs better than the folks whose loving hands he put them in.  I own those two Sondheim records he put out doing his own songs.  Nice enough, but Feel is not enough in the case of any of them.  As is the case with Burt.
That's why I specifically said that he's not a singer, more of a composer, but I thought the way he sang it, w/o trying, was marvelous. I didn't hear any other songs he wrote & performed himself. They could be not to my liking, but "Alfie", it's good. According to my ears anyway.

Damn, now I'm making lists.
No, you just added 2c to this cover vs. original discussion. Otherwise, you'd post them in one row.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2014, 11:05:55 PM »

I like Frank Sinatra's version, too. However, in all fairness, Cher's version is great and credit goes to Sonny Bono for writing the song!
My favorite version is by Terry Reid.  Sonny and Cher is second best, in all fairness.  And Sonny has written several great songs.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2014, 01:37:16 PM »

Subject Subjectivity...Perhaps not BETTER than...but different than and at least as good as.... .... ....

The Letter...The Arbors.

I like Buddy Holly's songs but many can outsing him...
Peter and Gordon...True Love Ways
Beach Boys...Peggy Sue
Beatles...Words of Love
Stones...Not Fade Away [just to grab 4 easy ones.]

Da Do Ron Ron...Ian Mathews [great a capella 'read']

You've Made Me So Very Happy  [BS & T's version trumps Brenda Holloway's]

Bird On a Wire...Joe Bonamassa [I think Joe beats EVERYBODY with his version]

Palisades Park...Beach Boys

16 Tons...The Platters annihilate Tennessee Ernie.

Dion's bluesy remake of this own 'The Wanderer' on his Sanctuary album is tremendous.

Night and Day...Chicago

On the Street Where You Live...Dennis De Young NAILS it.

Why Do Fools Fall in Love...Both The Beach Boys and Ben Zeppa

That's enough for now...

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2014, 02:22:08 PM »

My favorite version is by Terry Reid.  Sonny and Cher is second best, in all fairness.  And Sonny has written several great songs.
And the Fudge then?  Grin   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoRz9lCPDwA

It took me a while to locate but that super-familiar melody in the intro is from "The March of The Siamese Children" from The King and I: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9L_lilJKQQ

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2014, 02:30:50 PM »

Beach Boys...Peggy Sue
Beatles...Words of Love
How about Buddy's spooky ultra-slow version (with posthumous overdubs, apparently by The Fireballs) of Little Richard's "Slippin' And Slidin'"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOTT_DIclDQ

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2014, 10:03:17 PM »

Original:

The Drifters - This Magic Moment

Great, classic record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy99-66BZow

Cover:

Jay & the Americans - This Magic Moment

As much as it pains me to say, I think it's better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX6898nw-ks

one version is perfect R&B Black soul.  The other is perfect Blue-eyed soul... usually that's going to come out the other way around, but I think Jay Black topped the original in my opinion. 

Here's Jay about a year ago singing it live... voice still intact even though he's positively geriatric.  Love the cool bridge they added in, too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRBi5zA1PC4
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 24, 2014, 12:15:45 PM »

As much as I love Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, the Jackson 5 recording of Who's Loving You knocks out the original. This little guy had so much soul it was ridiculous. Smokey turns in a fine performance but Michael really got the heart of the thing.

The Miracles

The Jackson 5

Berry Gordy even told Smokey "I think he's got you on this one" and Smokey said "I know..."  Cheesy

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2015, 07:53:25 AM »

Beach Boys...Peggy Sue
Beatles...Words of Love
How about Buddy's spooky ultra-slow version (with posthumous overdubs, apparently by The Fireballs) of Little Richard's "Slippin' And Slidin'"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOTT_DIclDQ
Can't speak for Add Some, but I'm too much a fan of Little to ever select the cover over ANY original. I basically reckon he's the best r-n-roller. Buddy's good on his own.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2015, 08:24:07 AM »

Both better than the Rolling Stones originals, both by Chris Farlowe:

Out Of Time
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDjbul0WyE

Ride On Baby
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_E9SnOR-hUA

Full disclosure:  I don't like the Rolling Stones much.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2015, 03:20:06 PM »

Both better than the Rolling Stones originals, both by Chris Farlowe:

Out Of Time
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDjbul0WyE

Ride On Baby
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_E9SnOR-hUA

Full disclosure:  I don't like the Rolling Stones much.
I used to own "The Fool" by Mr Farlowe. What a voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UspwsWU_iQ8

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2015, 10:52:30 PM »

I remember someone telling me that GNR's version of "Live and let die" blew Paul's version away because and i quote "Axle has a better voice." I strongly disagree,,,lol
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx