gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:44:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cover songs better than their original  (Read 97164 times)
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 03:29:10 AM »

Johnny Cash's cover of "Love's Been Good To Me"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 07:15:34 AM »

I really enjoy Fiona Apple's version of Across the Universe.

Wow! Just looked it up - that's a great cover!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »

Material Issue - "Kim The Waitress" (Green Pajamas)
Johnny Cash - "Hurt" (Nine Inch Nails)
The Volebeats - "This Is Where I Belong" (The Kinks)
The Ramones - "I Don't Want To Grow Up" (Tom Waits)
The Church - "Hiroshima Mon Amour" (Ultravox)
Talking Heads - "Take Me To The River" (Al Green)
Them - "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" (Bob Dylan)
Robyn Hitchcock - "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" (Bob Dylan)
Bryan Ferry - "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" (Bob Dylan)

...and I really like Dylan's version!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 09:40:51 PM »

Barenaked Ladies-Still Ill
Beach Boys-Little Old Lady From Pasadena
Belle and Sebastian-The Boys Are Back In Town
Frankie Goes to Hollywood-Born to Run
Darian Sahanaja-Do You Have Any Regrets
Ted Leo-Since You Been Gone
Richard Cheese-Down With the Sickness
Neko Case-Bowling Green
Feist-Now at Last
Barenaked Ladies-(They Long to Be) Close to You
Death Cab-Free Fallin`
Death Cab-Earth Angel
The Raveonettes-My Boyfriends Back
Twisted Sister-Leader of the Pack
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:41:22 AM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 05:46:34 AM »

Deep Purple- Donny and Marie Osmond and Brian Wilson (Adult Child)---both two different versions/recordings of the same song.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 06:08:52 AM »

Schneider TM remix of The Smiths' "There is a Light That Never Goes Out"

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 02:34:56 PM »

I always thought of ABBA's Super Trooper as just a catchy little disco tune. Until I heard Camera Obscura's heartbreakingly beautiful acoustic version. They do the song much more justice than ABBA.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 08:27:05 AM »

Barenaked Ladies-Still Ill
Beach Boys-Little Old Lady From Pasadena
Belle and Sebastian-The Boys Are Back In Town
Frankie Goes to Hollywood-Born to Run
Darian Sahanaja-Do You Have Any Regrets
Ted Leo-Since You Been Gone
Richard Cheese-Down With the Sickness
Neko Case-Bowling Green
Feist-Now at Last
Barenaked Ladies-(They Long to Be) Close to You
Death Cab-Free Fallin`
Death Cab-Earth Angel
The Raveonettes-My Boyfriends Back
Twisted Sister-Leader of the Pack

i concur

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 05:32:19 AM »

The Carpenters version of "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft" blows away the original.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 03:47:26 PM »

The Carpenters version of "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft" blows away the original.
weird, I was thinkin the same thing...but I wanted to listen to them back to back just to make sure...I'd only listened to the Carpenters' version a handful of times as opposed to the Klaatu version....Anyone else think this song is kinda obscure of the Carpenters to cover?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2011, 08:38:49 AM »

I always thought of ABBA's Super Trooper as just a catchy little disco tune. Until I heard Camera Obscura's heartbreakingly beautiful acoustic version. They do the song much more justice than ABBA.
They did a damn good job with that song! In another era Camera Obscura could've been huge as opposed to just being an 'indie' band.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
RollPlymouthRock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2011, 10:19:10 AM »

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the Aretha Franklin cover of Respect or the Jeff Buckley version of Halleujah.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:24:25 AM by RollPlymouthRock » Logged
All Golden 74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 11:19:50 AM »

This may be obvious - how about Sagittarius with My World Fell Down(the version with the long bridge).  I really love this song - too bad the whole album wasn't this good.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »

The first two Led Zeppelin albums. Smiley

Seriously, All Along The Watchtower by Hendrix is the quintessential cover version. Others:

Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds (original by Mark James)
The Isley Brothers - Twist And Shout (original by The Top Notes)
The Beach Boys - I Can Hear Music (original by The Ronettes)
Wilson Pickett - Mustang Sally (original by Sir Mack Rice)
both Dionne Warkwick and The Carpenters - (They Long To Be) Close To Me (original by Richard Chamberlain)
Glenn Campbell - By The Time I Get To Phoenix (original by Johnny Rivers)
Bill Haley - Rock Around The Clock (original by Sunny Dae & The Knights)
Joe Cocker - You Are So Beautiful (original by Billy Preston)
Deep Purple - Hush (original by Billy Joe Royal)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 12:56:17 PM by Andreas » Logged
All Golden 74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2011, 03:07:31 PM »

It's a slow day (sorry Mom! Grin)

Elvis Presley - Good Rocking Tonight (original Roy Brown)
Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (original Big Maybelle)
Link Wray - Hidden Charms (original Charles Clark, but also beats every other version I've heard!)
Doors - Back Door Man (original Howlin' Wolf)
Black Flag - Louie Louie (original The Kingsmen), my favorite version and the funniest lyrics!
Ray Charles - Modern Sounds in Country and Western music (original lotta people), better version of all of 'em except the Buck Owens stuff.

RollPlymouthRock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011, 07:36:21 AM »

How could i forget the Beach Boys' cover of Do You Wanna Dance.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 10:32:37 AM »

I'm kinda at a crossroad with a song, Hold Me Tight

I love love love the Beatles' version, but then again, I love Spector's version (The Treasures, I believe). Both very different versions of the song. The instrumental track to Spector's is far superior in my opinion, but the Beatles is more of a bubblegum/pop type song (IMO). To me, the Treasures' vocals on HMT is more of a 50s/motown/soul type.

What's your thoughts?

Which is better?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 10:39:47 AM »

I'm kinda at a crossroad with a song, Hold Me Tight

I love love love the Beatles' version, but then again, I love Spector's version (The Treasures, I believe). Both very different versions of the song. The instrumental track to Spector's is far superior in my opinion, but the Beatles is more of a bubblegum/pop type song (IMO). To me, the Treasures' vocals on HMT is more of a 50s/motown/soul type.

What's your thoughts?

Which is better?
This also reminds me how Brian and Phil have such different takes on covers (more of the time), perhaps later, I could come up with a list, not just Spector & Wilson covering each other...but their covers themselve.

And even then, I feel like Bacharach has a lot of different versions of his songs with different artists...unless they're just a cover by different artist and have no connection to Bacharach...But mostly, all the "originals" that are on the 3 disc Look Of Love boxed set are my preferred version....However, I did download (what I thought was this 3 disc set) but was actually a 2 disc set with a different track selection/artist such as A. Franklin singing I Say a Little Prayer rather than the original artist (Dionne Warwick? I think) or This (Girl's) In Love with You sung by Petula Clark rather than Herb Alpert...which is quite different in my opinion...anyone else experience or notice this?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the Aretha Franklin cover of Respect or the Jeff Buckley version of Halleujah.

I will give you both of those for sure, great examples. Actually, until last night (whilst listening to the Vagrants' version of "Respect" on the Nuggets compilation), I didn't even realize that Aretha Franklin's version was technically a cover.

Speaking of the Queen of Soul, I would say the Flying Burrito Brothers did a classic version of "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man." It would be audacious to suggest it tops the original, but it's a different take (different genre, different gender) and stands on its own like a great movie can stand apart (without necessarily being "better") from its book source.

But my favorite cover version of anything ever goes to the Red House Painters' version of The Cars' "All Mixed Up." Mark Kozelek wrenches every ounce of real, unabashed emotion that you never knew the song had in the first place. A truly beautiful track.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:29:57 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »

But my favorite cover version of anything ever goes to the Red House Painters' version of The Cars' "All Mixed Up." Mark Kozelek wrenches every ounce of real, unabashed emotion that you never knew the song had in the first place. A truly beautiful track.

Hey, thanks for the tip! I was listening to The Cars' original on repeat on my drive home from work today and would love to hear another band's take on it.

(By the way, I'm digging the new Cars' CD a lot - I felt they lost their way after SHAKE IT UP [1981] and I can't believe Ocasek and company delivered an album on par with SHAKE... and PANORAMA thirty years later. I just wish Ben Orr could have lived to take the lead on half the tracks.)

EDIT: Just listened to the Red House Painters version and found it quite lovely...although I think it might be too earnest.  The coolness of the original arrangement makes the song feel more desperate or melancholic to me (and you can't beat the "Be My Baby" drum quote that shows up after the first bridge). The icy synths, the sax, the mechanical rhythm and Orr's near-monotone delivery puts the performance of the song on the same level as the emotionally distant supermodel the song is persumably about. In other words, it feels like The Cars deserve to be pining for that type of woman whereas Mark Kozelek sounds like a guy who doesn't even live in the same city as that girl.

All the same, thanks for bringing the cover to my attention!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:10:32 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2011, 09:41:09 PM »

Just listened to the Red House Painters version and found it quite lovely...although I think it might be too earnest.  The coolness of the original arrangement makes the song feel more desperate or melancholic to me (and you can't beat the "Be My Baby" drum quote that shows up after the first bridge). The icy synths, the sax, the mechanical rhythm and Orr's near-monotone delivery puts the performance of the song on the same level as the emotionally distant supermodel the song is presumably about. In other words, it feels like The Cars deserve to be pining for that type of woman whereas Mark Kozelek sounds like a guy who doesn't even live in the same city as that girl.

All the same, thanks for bringing the cover to my attention!

And thank YOU for bringing the Cars to top of mind for me. I've been meaning to check out Move Like This, as well as their vintage material, for quite a while, and this was the impetus I needed. Your description of the Cars' recording of "All Mixed Up" was well-framed and helpful for further listening. I'm purchasing the material now, will check back later...

Mark Kozelek is nothing if not earnest. Good choice of words there. Indeed, he doesn't live in the same city as his envied love object - all the more reason why his take on the material is poignant to me. But your description of icy synths and monotone vocals has prompted me to revisit the original...

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »

Wilson Pickett - "Hey Jude" (original by The Beatles)
The Kingsmen - "Louie Louie" (original by its composer Richard Berry & The Pharaohs)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 12:21:30 AM »

This may be obvious - how about Sagittarius with My World Fell Down(the version with the long bridge).  I really love this song - too bad the whole album wasn't this good.
Huh?

Are you saying My World Fell Down is a cover done by Sagittarius? I didn't know it was a cover, I always thought it was written for the album Present Tense ....If you're saying this version is a cover, who did the original?

By the way the, some of my fav tracks from the album (besides my World Fell Down) are Song of the Magic Frog, The Keeper of the Games, and Hotel Indiscreet.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2011, 08:31:50 AM »

I prefer Dylan's Tambourine Man over the Byrds....however, I prefer their version of 'All I really Want to Do' over Dylan's.

BTW, I will say any version is better than Mike's version (He did with Dean T, right?) of Walk Away.

Damn, it's not on youtube. How I would love to hear that....If it is as good as their Jingle Bell Rock duet I'm in for a real treat!

No its on the Mike & Dean album but its actually The Association - Walk Away Renee (One of Curt Boettcher's very last productions also, if not the last)

I can only assume it's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lzGJGGDlQk

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »

Geraint Watkins version of Heroes and Villains is one of my very favorite covers.  Maybe not my favorite of favorites but certainly one of the most surprising and pleasing covers I've heard in recent years.  Shows a real jazzy side of the song.  And of course the Jez Graham interpretations of the Beach Boys songs are very good listening.

Of course if you go back to the pre singer songwriter era most songs were covers of sorts.  For example, most all of the Brill Building songs were covered by others even though there are original recordings by many of the writers.

For a while, the Beatles were covering everything that wasn't nailed down.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx