gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:20:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cover songs better than their original  (Read 97173 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:13:07 AM »

I can't remember if I had written a thread about this, I tried searching but you know how often the words cover, song, and original are used on this board.
I'll come up with mine in a bit.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:27:20 AM »

I know this has been brought up at some point, and definitely in Beach Boys context (covers of their tunes or tunes they covered). But it doesn't look like it has been a recent topic, anyway, so if you have something to say on it, I say go for it. I'll stick my neck out on a couple right off: Byrds Mr. Tambourine Man tops Dylan's, and Wondermints' Ooh Child is my favorite version of the song ever. I also prefer Great Lakes' Some of Shelley's Blues more than Mike Nesmith's.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:30:36 AM »

I know this has been brought up at some point, and definitely in Beach Boys context (covers of their tunes or tunes they covered). But it doesn't look like it has been a recent topic, anyway, so if you have something to say on it, I say go for it. I'll stick my neck out on a couple right off: Byrds Mr. Tambourine Man tops Dylan's, and Wondermints' Ooh Child is my favorite version of the song ever. I also prefer Great Lakes' Some of Shelley's Blues more than Mike Nesmith's.
WOuld the Monkees' version of Cuddly Toy be a cover or a song written for the group?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:42:56 AM »

That's a good question. There is that idea of how we ought to treat what I'll call the pre-Dylan pre-Beatles era (i.e. before we expected the writer to be the performer). And Nilsson was definitely a part of that phenomenon, during its waning days of prominence. I don't think he wrote Cuddly Toy for the Monkees, but he certainly was selling tunes. So is that a cover? I don't know.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:44:31 AM »

I prefer Dylan's Tambourine Man over the Byrds....however, I prefer their version of 'All I really Want to Do' over Dylan's.

The Four Tops version of 'Walk Away Renee' over The Left Banke's - though both are VERY good.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »

I like Iron & Wine's version of Flaming Lips' Waiting For Superman quite a bit. Maybe not better, I don't know. But in some ways I do think it is. It shows different sides of it, being so removed from the unmistakable Fridmann sound of the original.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 11:12:29 AM »

I prefer Dylan's Tambourine Man over the Byrds....however, I prefer their version of 'All I really Want to Do' over Dylan's.

The Four Tops version of 'Walk Away Renee' over The Left Banke's - though both are VERY good.

REALLY?
Though I've never heard the Four Tops' version, that Left Banke version would be hard to top....no pun intended...

BTW, I will say any version is better than Mike's version (He did with Dean T, right?) of Walk Away.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:18:38 AM »

REALLY?
Though I've never heard the Four Tops' version, that Left Banke version would be hard to top....no pun intended...

BTW, I will say any version is better than Mike's version (He did with Dean T, right?) of Walk Away.

The Four Tops version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wICc8bU95u8

I guess it's because I grew up listening to the Four Tops version that I have a bias Cheesy - however I really think that the harmonies in the Four Tops version are far superior, however the string arrangement in The Left Banke's version is excellent. So, it's a close call.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 11:22:08 AM »

Damn, it's not on youtube. How I would love to hear that....If it is as good as their Jingle Bell Rock duet I'm in for a real treat!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:25:03 AM by rab2591 » Logged

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »

I can Hear Music- Beach Boys, of course
Heart and Soul- Jan and Dean
Ain't She Sweet- Beatles (either version; early sessions or Get Back sessions)
Rock and Roll Music- Beatles
Louie Louie- Beach Boys (no, I'm not kidding)
Hey Baby- Ringo
Good Ol' Days- The Blanks
Vine Street- Harry Nilsson...a close 2nd with Van Dyke Parks
Just Once in My Life- Beach Boys/Rightous Brothers-----gotta be a tie...I can't pick, those vocals are sooooooooo good!
Three Cool Cats- Beatles
All Along the Watchtower- Hendrix
Black Magic Woman- Santana
I shot the Sherriff- Clapton
Had to Phone Ya---toss up here...I love the vocals on the Beach Boys but the backing track to the American Spring is so Love You synthy

~post of the century~
-Mikie

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 11:32:16 AM »

Another one from 15 Big Ones I like over the original is 'Palisades Park' - I find myself listening to The Beach Boys version quite often.

Have to disagree with Louie Louie - love the original. However, 'Papa Oom Mow Mow' from Party definitely beats the original for me....Brian does a great job singing "Dip Dip Dip" in his falsetto...love it!

Definitely agree with the Hendrix version of All Along The Watchtower.

I haven't heard Nilsson's Vine Street though - One of my favorite tracks from Song Cycle. The Newman demo is on youtube - that is a really class recording of it too.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 12:15:36 PM »

I haven't heard Nilsson's Vine Street though
You have to, not just for that tune but the whole album: Nilsson Sings Newman is in my opinion one of the 10 or 15 best albums there has ever been. Wow, it's good.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 12:22:06 PM »

That version of "Vine Street" really stands out too...the first time I heard those wall of harmonies on the chorus....man I had to sit down! The Nilsson sings Newman album is just brilliant.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 12:30:26 PM »

Damn, it's not on youtube. How I would love to hear that....If it is as good as their Jingle Bell Rock duet I'm in for a real treat!

No its on the Mike & Dean album but its actually The Association - Walk Away Renee (One of Curt Boettcher's very last productions also, if not the last)

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »

Stone Temple Pilots do some pretty good covers.

Dancing Days by Led Zeppelin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQRPM8Mm6RQ
Break On Through by The Doors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEpj0VM6K3w

No mas, por favor.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 01:28:08 PM »

You have to, not just for that tune but the whole album: Nilsson Sings Newman is in my opinion one of the 10 or 15 best albums there has ever been. Wow, it's good.

VDP and Nilsson both sing two different songs before launching into....."That's a tape, that we made.....etc..etc."

Are the songs they sing before before both Newman songs? 
Both songs are very fitting for each singer.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »

VDP and Nilsson both sing two different songs before launching into....."That's a tape, that we made.....etc..etc."

I've always really enjoyed the Harpers Bizarre version of Vine Street, has a cool intro tape version of their old Tikis song Bye Bye Bye. VDP's early version is of an old folk song called Black Jack David. Nilsson's is the one Newman wrote for the song, which can also be heard on his debut S/T album (with VDP/Warronker production)

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »

Do tributes to the artist count as covers?
Because if so, there's a lot of ties and really close 2nds for the BW Tribute (All Star Tribute) let alone numerous other tribute albums.

To name a few:
Surfer Girl- Paul Simon (mind blowing!)
Pet Sounds (song)- Gary Usher is gotta be a tie with the original, honestly!
Don't Worry Baby- Billy Joel, close 2nd, I love his vocals, but the BB are still dominant.
City Blues- Richie Sambora
Warmth of the Sun- Vince Gill
Where I Belong- Adam Marsland's Chaos Band; Carl's version is a close 2nd
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:41:07 PM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 01:42:44 PM »

I've always really enjoyed the Harpers Bizarre version of Vine Street, has a cool intro tape version of their old Tikis song Bye Bye Bye. VDP's early version is of an old folk song called Black Jack David. Nilsson's is the one Newman wrote for the song, which can also be heard on his debut S/T album (with VDP/Warronker production)
Didn't know Harper's Bizarre did a version, look out Youtube

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 01:46:31 PM »

Another tribute I just thought of was at a Lennon tribute a while ago, I think Sean Lennon sang This Boy and I loved it! The vocals were great.

That is if we're counting tributes   Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 02:05:09 PM »

Speaking of Nilsson, I'm surprised nobody has brought up one of his best cover songs: Without You (versus Badfinger, though both have very sentimental reasons behind them)

I also enjoy:
Spanish Harlem- Mama's and Papa's
Yellow Submarine- Black Dyke Mills Band
My Way- Sid Vicious
Romeo and Juliet- American Spring
I Fought the Law- The Clash
Try Some Buy Some- Ronnie Spector
Glad to Be Unhappy- Mama's and Papa's
I Was Made to Love Her- I really can't choose between the Beach Boy's and Stevie's version, Carl's vocals are sooo good but I love the track and vocals to Stevie's, and the BB version has that WH vibe (obviously, being on the album)  LOL
Come and Get It- Badfinger...though it was written for them by Paul, Paul had the original
Never My Love- the 5th Dimension's version has got to be a really close 2nd to the Association.
Muskrat Love- America
Love Will Keep Us Together- Captain & Tennille
Sour Milk Sea- Jackie Lomax
Unchained Melody- Vito and the Salutations
Monster Mash- Beach Boys

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »

the Let it Be album- Laibach   Shocked

Just kidding, but they certainly did make its a more interesting album out of that material than the Beatles did...but it

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »

Even more additional tunes, I can't quit!

Going Out of My Head- Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66
Please Mister Postman- The Beatles
Night & Day- The Temptations
Pinball Wizard- Elton John
Ticket to Ride- The Carpenters
Be-Bop-a-Lula- John Lennon
Angel Baby- John Lennon

~post of the century~
-Mikie

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »

Didn't know Harper's Bizarre did a version, look out Youtube

Off the Secret Life Of Harpers Bizarre....worth tracking down! The CD release includes the B-Sides which were covers of Nilsson Poly High & Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 07:18:36 PM »

I really enjoy Fiona Apple's version of Across the Universe.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx