gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:00:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cover songs better than their original  (Read 97169 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2018, 04:27:51 AM »

My favorite blogger Larry posted Buffalo Springfield cover by Kin Vassy, link to listen here: https://ironleg.wordpress.com/2018/01/14/kin-vassy-blue-bird/

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 30, 2018, 05:26:28 AM »

As What's My Line? freak, I check everything about it. Here's beautiful glamorous Jayne Meadows, comedian Steve Allen's wife (he & she used to be guest panelists few times at WML?, BBs sang at Steve Allen show). Steve introduces Jayne by saying she lived in China. She dances & sings in Chinese "Hello Dolly", it's really sth. else: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLZ0jLCb_2o

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2018, 06:20:49 AM »

Taco's version of "Puttin' on the Ritz" is pretty awesome.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2018, 06:38:25 AM »

You know Taco too? I decided since nobody replied to this

Taco "Cheek to Cheek", forget Fred Astaire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ZQxwox59Y

Such great "retro" voice.

nobody knew him. Sang praises to Taco before & very familiar with his "Ritz" cover. To reiterate, he's blessed with great "retro" voice, perfection to the T articulation.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2018, 11:06:03 AM »

You know Taco too? I decided since nobody replied to this

Taco "Cheek to Cheek", forget Fred Astaire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ZQxwox59Y

Such great "retro" voice.

nobody knew him. Sang praises to Taco before & very familiar with his "Ritz" cover. To reiterate, he's blessed with great "retro" voice, perfection to the T articulation.

Agreed on all counts!

I just taught a unit on Irving Berlin and I played Taco for my students.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2018, 05:11:24 AM »

Dlt button
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:33:45 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 27, 2018, 06:30:02 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Queers....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK289WAUGmY

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 10, 2018, 04:58:09 AM »

Looking for songs whose lyrics mention "The Beach Boys" I came across this version by Alex Goot of Katy P's "California Gurls" in which Snoop Doggy Dogg is replaced by The Beach Boys in the "Sex on the beach" verse.

I do like this----it's a lot less twee than Ms. Perry's original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StRcO0_CqRg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Goot

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2018, 05:38:35 AM »

Miracle Legion's cover of "Heart Disease Called Love" by John Cooper Clarke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k34COzWzKcY

JCC original version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiPNC2DJR8M

Also, Elvis Costello's What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:12:27 AM by marcusb » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 19, 2018, 04:26:46 PM »

Deleted, nobody cares to check anyway.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:32:52 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 24, 2018, 02:54:11 PM »

"I Can Hear Music" is my absolute favorite BB cover.  It blows the original out of the water with the in-your-face energy from  the first note, and that Carl vocal - sublime, perfect, never gets dated.

I saw another poster states that he prefers the Four Top's version of "Walk Away Renee" to the Left Banke's. Might I suggest a listen to the version done by the Cowsills, none other than John Cowsill and his siblings? Made soon after oldest brother Bill was unceremoniously kicked out of the band, it features a lead by brother Bob, with the rest, including John, on gorgeous, soaring harmonies.  The Four tops were fully grown, mature  men when they did their version; although they did a terrific job, it sounded a bit weird for a song that is clearly about a tender teenage boy. And while I love the original, the Cowsills, while still young, were professional vocalists who  nailed every note - breathtaking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-BjJq_yO-Q
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 24, 2018, 03:36:34 PM »

I saw another poster states that he prefers the Four Top's version of "Walk Away Renee" to the Left Banke's. Might I suggest a listen to the version done by the Cowsills, none other than John Cowsill and his siblings? Made soon after oldest brother Bill was unceremoniously kicked out of the band, it features a lead by brother Bob, with the rest, including John, on gorgeous, soaring harmonies.  The Four tops were fully grown, mature  men when they did their version; although they did a terrific job, it sounded a bit weird for a song that is clearly about a tender teenage boy. And while I love the original, the Cowsills, while still young, were professional vocalists who  nailed every note - breathtaking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-BjJq_yO-Q

That is stunning. Those harmonies! Thanks for sharing, B.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 24, 2018, 04:00:20 PM »

Your welcome! I have always loved the Cowsills, so was so excited when John joined the Boys.  He was in one of the episodes where Uncle Jesse had the Rippers over - you can really hear his vocal talent there, as well as on records and youtube performances over the years. I've been to two M & B shows, but was disappointed i n how little he was used beyond  thickening of the harmony. His vocal talents are wasted, IMO. especially since he shows no signs of aging in  that way!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 24, 2018, 04:15:47 PM »

Not "John Cowsill-vocalist" fan. Cool drummer but he described his voice in the old thread as "Kermit the Frog". I agree 100%. John used to post here, username "Cowsii". Read what he said few years back:

I'm not a fan of my voice either but that was the first time we ever did it. I know. No excuse. The voice is what it is. Christian would sound good on it if he had the range. We'd have to lower way too far... I am generally a back ground singer. I dred singing Darlin, especially after sitting next to Darian when he does it.  sh*t! I sound more like Kermit the frog... oh well I like singing. But I don't want to hear me either. so for those who agree I'm sorry for your misery...
You see? When John criticizes his vocals, you realize this is real cool chap. 3D

You're right that Four Tops' "Walk Away Renee" is epic fail. If that band didn't exist, it'd be the same as they existing. It's band you could take or leave, not big difference. That said, Left Banke's "Renee" can't be beat. Beautiful backing track, the Cowsills' backing arrangement isn't interesting to my ears. Nice vocs but Left Banke sang it much better.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:00:26 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 24, 2018, 08:01:39 PM »

I don't like the sound of my singing voice, either, but people keep asking me to sing a their weddings! Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one...  I don't think that the Four Top's version of WAR  was an "epic fail," really; my only criticism is that the song seems so clearly an expression of a kid closer to puberty than manhood, and sounds more comfy sung by a younger guy with a sweeter tenor. Theirs, on the other hand,  had a very manly vibe.  Otherwise, it was an excellent cover that they truly made their own. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 25, 2018, 03:36:21 AM »

If you click that John Cowsill post, it'll lead you to thread in which posters said they didn't like his singing. &.... John agreed with it! Usually people like positive feedback to things they do. But, he was totes cool about it. It's refreshing attitude.

Any guy's voice is technically "manly". Broadly speaking, here's male voice & there's female voice. That said, you do have point. "Renee" is written by young chap, inspired by real young girl. Makes sense for youthful voice to sing it. We'll agree to disagree about the last bit "it was an excellent cover that they truly made their own." The Four Tops really ruined it. The reason Left Banke's arrangement is the best is beautiful, elegant baroque mood, catchy intro with harpsichord playing cool beat, many interesting things that makes The Cowsills pale in compare.

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 02, 2018, 04:17:45 PM »

Pat Benatar's version of  I Need A Lover is WAY better than John Cougar Mellencamp's rather monotonous version.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 02, 2018, 05:22:17 PM »

Charles Manson's "Home Is Where You're Happy" & Smiley poster DonnyL's cover would be equal. Charles' is better vocally - DonnyL's got cool faster arrangement.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 02, 2018, 06:25:11 PM »

Timothy B. Schmit's Caroline No on Stars and Stripes Vol. 1. He nails the lead, just as tender and wistfully as Brian, and the Boy's background harmonies elevate the song to the sublime.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 07, 2018, 04:43:48 AM »

Today they played Pet Shop Boys "Always On My Mind" by radio. Well done barring few silly arranging choices. This band's lead vocalist sings well as usual. I didn't like the previous versions due to downtempo.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 16, 2018, 12:22:16 AM »

Despite detesting "I Fought The Law", cover by Paul Stefen & Royal Lancers is nice, it differs than the other popular covers.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 12, 2018, 03:50:58 PM »

Paul-sung "She's So Heavy" is miles better than John's. Paul sings it with groove. John, when sings in "cool" style, doesn't get to Paul's "cool" level.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 27, 2018, 07:38:56 AM »

"Walk Right Back" by Dana, U.K. singer, Eurovision-1970 winner. She managed surprisingly to erase sadness of melody (reason I'm not the song's fan), esp. in compare with Everly bros. It helps I like her voice.

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 27, 2018, 03:49:43 PM »

Just about any song Linda Ronstadt covered, was better than the original.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 27, 2018, 04:21:15 PM »

I disagree. Linda's voice is like nails scratching glass.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx