gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681363 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 04, 2024, 09:34:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Van Dyke Parks interview in the latest Record Collector  (Read 30529 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2011, 03:17:21 PM »

I feel lit simply pays to remember: just out of plain consideration, that there are people out there, actual Beach Boys fans (misguided or not) who think Mike is a talented person, like his singing, his lyrics, his vibe, his style as a frontman, and somehow contribute these feelings to their overall appreciation of The Beach Boys as a group made up of individuals. Brian get's his due and will continue to get his due: no one can change that. But there are fans out there who actually like Mike. It's possible and real. Therefore the stale old "Mike is evil" bullmerda can be a bit insulting to these silly fans.
Shades of the sheriff?? angel

No, just a fan with an opinion.

One I happen to share, as well...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2011, 03:23:29 PM »

I feel lit simply pays to remember: just out of plain consideration, that there are people out there, actual Beach Boys fans (misguided or not) who think Mike is a talented person, like his singing, his lyrics, his vibe, his style as a frontman, and somehow contribute these feelings to their overall appreciation of The Beach Boys as a group made up of individuals. Brian get's his due and will continue to get his due: no one can change that. But there are fans out there who actually like Mike. It's possible and real. Therefore the stale old "Mike is evil" bullmerda can be a bit insulting to these silly fans.

No, just a fan with an opinion.

One I happen to share, as well...

Good - I'm glad the guy who dumped all over Fishmonk can agree with the poster who claims that Beach Boys fans are misguided if they don't share his point of view.
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »

Oxygen Oxygen... right to the braaaain... skip the vice verses gettin' to the refraiiiiin
Let Yourself float.... don't carry that weeeeiiiight.... NEVER DESTROY WHAT YOU CAN CREAAAAAATE!...

Great tune... love it....

isn't Mike more of a man's man type? You can either handle it or you can't.
I think the whole what does crows cry thing is a rib... a big giant rib... a rolling rib that gathers sauce... as in spicy barbecue...

Mike and Van Dyke are from different sides of the tracks, right?

to the original poster:
I don't know if or when I will get my hands on this interview: any chance of paraphrasing Van's take on the political climate? Thanks

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »

Wow...really? Because I agree with this
Brian get's his due and will continue to get his due: no one can change that. But there are fans out there who actually like Mike. It's possible and real. Therefore the stale old "Mike is evil" bullmerda can be a bit insulting to these silly fans.
?

What's wrong with that statement? My issue with Fishmonk was the fact that he stated that I wasn't a real Beach Boys fan because I didn't share his opinion. I was agreeing with Erik in that NOT ALL BB FANS WILL HAVE THE SAME OPINION OR LIKE THE SAME THINGS. I happen to like Mike's work with the band;not everyone else will.

What the hell is up with the hostility on this board?

I hope the Smile box set gets cancelled. Maybe then people can quit being buttholes to each other and remember how to treat people with basic respect.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:37:56 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »

@Erik H.

I am by no means a Mike hater. As to my "coattails" comment: I meant it as there would not have been a Beach Boys were it not for Brian. He wrote, arranged and produced them. Except for the actual singing and playing, all of their success was through Brian. We all know this as fact. I don't blame Mike for Smile. Never have, never will. Just the fact that Smiley Smile was released, along with the Smile music released on subsequent albums kind of proves that, at least to me. Everyone can think whatever they want, and 45 years later, it doesn't change a thing. Brian had issues with Mike on Today and Pet Sounds, yet all were released, because that's the way Brian wanted it. Like Sinatra, he did it his way. Ultimately, no matter all the underlying factors, it was Brian's decision to abort Smile.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »

Wow...really? Because I agree with this
Brian get's his due and will continue to get his due: no one can change that. But there are fans out there who actually like Mike. It's possible and real. Therefore the stale old "Mike is evil" bullmerda can be a bit insulting to these silly fans.
?

What's wrong with that statement? My issue with Fishmonk was the fact that he stated that I wasn't a real Beach Boys fan because I didn't share his opinion. I was agreeing with Erik in that NOT ALL BB FANS WILL HAVE THE SAME OPINION OR LIKE THE SAME THINGS.

What the hell is up with the hostility on this board?

I hope the Smile box set gets cancelled. Maybe then people can quit being buttholes to each other and remember how to treat people with basic respect.

Sorry, Billy. I actually misread Erik's quote there so I'm in the wrong on that one.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »

@Erik H.

I am by no means a Mike hater. As to my "coattails" comment: I meant it as there would not have been a Beach Boys were it not for Brian. He wrote, arranged and produced them. Except for the actual singing and playing, all of their success was through Brian. We all know this as fact.

Mike doesn't.

I don't blame Mike for Smile. Never have, never will. Just the fact that Smiley Smile was released, along with the Smile music released on subsequent albums kind of proves that, at least to me. Everyone can think whatever they want, and 45 years later, it doesn't change a thing. Brian had issues with Mike on Today and Pet Sounds, yet all were released, because that's the way Brian wanted it. Like Sinatra, he did it his way. Ultimately, no matter all the underlying factors, it was Brian's decision to abort Smile.

I will say this for ya, your argument is consistent.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2011, 03:42:44 PM »

No worries...did mean what i said though. The board as a whole has been very negative lately, and its depressing really.  I see so many people on here constantly arguing over something that is supposed to be bringing us great joy.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »

\

Sure, happily! The Sheriff rocks!  Evil

Rockandroll, I honestly have not been trying to evade your points, it's just that I've taken the bait many many times and have respond to direct quotes regarding Myke many many a time and the same silly Mkye swipes always come bubbling back up no matter what. You've spoken your point of view with impressive articulation. I'm just tired of this and want to simply love The Beach Boys warts n all which is very possible and quite easy to do..... I greatly regret any negativity I've been bringing today.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2011, 04:05:47 PM »

I'm with Billy, I promise to be kinder and gentler going forward.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2011, 04:21:23 PM »

No worries...did mean what i said though. The board as a whole has been very negative lately, and its depressing really.  I see so many people on here constantly arguing over something that is supposed to be bringing us great joy.

And your hope is the Smile Box gets canceled and everyone will then be nicer? 
Yeah, maybe, after they find you and tear you limb from limb! That will, undoubtedly, make everyone nicer.   Roll Eyes

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »

Meh, I had a good run :/

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2011, 04:55:07 PM »

I tried to get everyone to hold hands. But it was rejected!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »

That...wasn't my hand....

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2011, 05:21:59 PM »

Of course

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »

Did he? I mean, I can't say for sure, but it's certainly interesting that no vocals seem to exist for Surf's Up and Cabin Essence despite the vocal sessions that have been noted (the one that apparently didn't go well)

In December? That surprises me because four months elapsed between Sloop John B. and Wouldn't it be Nice and it had only been two months since GV. Why did there need to be a single out? Wasn't the album also meant to come out in January? I really find it hard to believe that the album due out in a month was less of a concern than a single.

You can't tell that it's Mike Love singing the 'Over and Over' part at the end of Cabinessence?  And as for the session not going well, if you go by the production notes of the Inside Pop reels, no mention of a fight or argument, or anything out of the ordinary was documented. So who knows exactly what Siegel was talking about.
And yeah, if you read Anderle's comments, he went to Brian and told him that he needed a single. What songs did Brian work almost exclusively on after the first of the year? Heroes and Vege-tables. The 2 songs that were talked about as being the first single from the album .
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2011, 05:38:48 PM »

Of course

It was Mike's bald head. Just not sure which one  Evil
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2011, 05:42:20 PM »

You can't tell that it's Mike Love singing the 'Over and Over' part at the end of Cabinessence? 

Yes, but that was recorded during the 20/20 sessions, no?

And as for the session not going well, if you go by the production notes of the Inside Pop reels, no mention of a fight or argument, or anything out of the ordinary was documented. So who knows exactly what Siegel was talking about.

Well, again, we have a documented vocal session for that day for Cabin Essence and Surf's Up but those vocals, as far as I know, are nowhere to be found (...yet). It's quite possible that Mike did indeed refuse to sing that day. He certainly didn't object to it being portrayed that way in that horrible Made for TV movie.

And yeah, if you read Anderle's comments, he went to Brian and told him that he needed a single. What songs did Brian work almost exclusively on after the first of the year? Heroes and Vege-tables. The 2 songs that were talked about as being the first single from the album .

Well, I agree that Brian was working specifically on those songs with the plan that they would be singles but that doesn't explain why he would pretty much  abandon the album after December 15th. Maybe there was a single deadline but there was a much bigger album deadline looming.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2011, 06:23:46 PM »

You can't tell that it's Mike Love singing the 'Over and Over' part at the end of Cabinessence? 

Yes, but that was recorded during the 20/20 sessions, no?

And as for the session not going well, if you go by the production notes of the Inside Pop reels, no mention of a fight or argument, or anything out of the ordinary was documented. So who knows exactly what Siegel was talking about.

Well, again, we have a documented vocal session for that day for Cabin Essence and Surf's Up but those vocals, as far as I know, are nowhere to be found (...yet). It's quite possible that Mike did indeed refuse to sing that day. He certainly didn't object to it being portrayed that way in that horrible Made for TV movie.

Well, I agree that Brian was working specifically on those songs with the plan that they would be singles but that doesn't explain why he would pretty much  abandon the album after December 15th. Maybe there was a single deadline but there was a much bigger album deadline looming.

All of the "Cabinessence" vocals, aside from Carl's lead, were recorded in '66. 

Granted, I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea Mike ultimately agreeing to sing the lyrics he questioned (quite well, I might add) means that there wasn't some damage done by way of his protests.  Anderle made the point that Brian was getting sick of all the resistance he was encountering on many fronts, and complaints about lyrics (and the material in general) from Mike and other members of the band probably didn't help matters.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2011, 06:35:38 PM »

Well put. I certainly would never try to suggest Mike was helpful or overtly supportive toward Smile. I just dislike how Mike's opinion on Smile is usually used as an excuse to tear him down as a singer, lyricist, front man, human being. Not everyone's going to like everything and when you're in the band you're probably going to say something.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2011, 06:54:34 PM »

and I'd like to clarify: when I said Mike wasn't riding Brian's coattails, I meant that he certainly wasn't just sitting around on his ass and letting Brian do everything. He was contributing lyrics as much as he really could/when asked, he was serving as the group's frontman live (an extremely important part of a pop band, as we all know. In that era especially) and he was a very prominent presence vocally in the group's recordings, and he contributed enough lyrically (and vocal melody-wise, I'd bet my bottom dollar) to cement his place in pop/rock history. He rode Brian's coattails certainly to a much lesser extent than say, Roger Daltry of Pete Townsend's coattails.... Nevermind the question: since when did not being the dominant writer/arranger in a pop/rock band (and merely a co-writer/lead singer/co-founder) automatically make one a coattail rider?? Are Ringo and George coat tail riders? Are David Gilmour or Rick Wright? Are Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson? Is Keith Moon (who wasn't too thrilled with Tommy EVER: might I add)? The list goes on and on.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 06:56:04 PM by Erik H » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »

It also speaks volumes that audiences for decades could go to a Beach Boy concert with Brian nowhere on stage and still go home satisfied that they'd seen The BEACH BOYS!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2011, 07:09:05 PM »

I think that's the case though for the songs being timeless, regardless of how ancient any of the participants are (from Mike/Bruce to Brian himself). One day they just may make a sequel to Young at Heart only starring the Beach Boys LOL

Funny that you mentioned Pink Floyd...they're my 3rd favorite band (after BB and Stone Temple Pilots, and right in front of Roxy Music). There's a band where the whole was greater than the sum of its parts.  It took ALL of them to make their magic. For me, the magic stopped not when Waters left, but when Wright was phased out.

The Beach Boys though, to me that is the largest collection of talent ever assembled. Each one of those guys are so damn talented in their own right. To me, any of them would be the most talented member in a different band. That right there speaks volumes as well.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2011, 07:10:37 PM »

In the year following his junking of SMiLE, Brian said the band almost broke up because he decided to junk the SMiLE songs he junked. The band didn't want SMiLE junked, Brian did and so the Velvet Steamroller junked them even though the band strongly disagreed.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »

Yeah, wasn't the quote "the band almost broke up, actually broke up for good after that"?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx