gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:57:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Classic Rock Outtakes Industry:where do we go from here?  (Read 24709 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2011, 09:14:20 PM »

Weezer is a great, great band, well at least the blue album and Pinkerton, with the attendant b-sides. But I don't know if they are quite at the point of Brian and co.

But yeah there is a lot of bands/artists that are still great. I used to have a rule that there was hardly any good music that came out after 1974, but yeah there is still lots of great from the past 20 or so years, stuff like Animal Collective, Sufjan Stevens, Radiohead, Dr. Dre, Nirvana, Elliott Smith, Elvis Costello, etc.

Indeed, all of those are great. Some of the best music nowadays is coming out of the hip-hop, and, surprisingly, metal areas. If they're your cup of tea you'll find much to love.

Wolfmother is awesome too, although the constant comparisons to Zeppelin and Blue Cheer hurt them. They're much more than just a derivative. Nas and Outkast are about the best you'll find in hip-hop nowadays. Taylor Swift has much more potential than her music seems to imply; the whole "top 40 with fiddles/steel guitars" country scene needs to go. Jazmine Sullivan is probably the best modern R&B artist. The black and death metal scenes are still producing some great groups. Case in point, to Mr. vintagemusic, there's ALWAYS good stuff out there; sometimes even in the "mainstream".

Jeez, totally forgot OutKast. As far as a rapper or musical artist in general, Andre 3000 is way more talented and original than most around today. Here's hoping he actually releases a solo or OutKast album sometime soon.

Oh and I know this is totally even more off-topic, but I gotta say its funny Macca is doing a standards cover album. Seems like a very "Brian" type of idea, doesn't seem very McCartney-esque.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2011, 11:35:21 PM »

Weezer is a great, great band, well at least the blue album and Pinkerton, with the attendant b-sides. But I don't know if they are quite at the point of Brian and co.

But yeah there is a lot of bands/artists that are still great. I used to have a rule that there was hardly any good music that came out after 1974, but yeah there is still lots of great from the past 20 or so years, stuff like Animal Collective, Sufjan Stevens, Radiohead, Dr. Dre, Nirvana, Elliott Smith, Elvis Costello, etc.

Indeed, all of those are great. Some of the best music nowadays is coming out of the hip-hop, and, surprisingly, metal areas. If they're your cup of tea you'll find much to love.

Wolfmother is awesome too, although the constant comparisons to Zeppelin and Blue Cheer hurt them. They're much more than just a derivative. Nas and Outkast are about the best you'll find in hip-hop nowadays. Taylor Swift has much more potential than her music seems to imply; the whole "top 40 with fiddles/steel guitars" country scene needs to go. Jazmine Sullivan is probably the best modern R&B artist. The black and death metal scenes are still producing some great groups. Case in point, to Mr. vintagemusic, there's ALWAYS good stuff out there; sometimes even in the "mainstream".

I believe some forms of music, that is some genres are more valid than others.I have a fairly broad mind musically, I can embrace anything from classical, to Led Zeppelin, to the Beach BOys to Beatles, Elivs Costello to Gershwin, and Tony Bennett.

But comparing rap, hip hop or Kid rock or outkast to The Beatles, Zeppelin, Gershwin or Chopin, is like comparing Scorsese or Kubrick
to some guy who makes industrial films for the installation of institutional bathrooms.

Much of today's newer music is in genres that are not worthy or valid, such as hiphop or rap or much of the metal music scene.
bad chords, melodies, words, vocals, lack of individuality. Just bad awful stuff.

This is why so many many many discerning older guys like me, buy re-issues of Pink FLoyd, the Beatles, The Beach Boys and Byrds.
As a musician, classic music fan, songwriter, I can't even imagine listening to something like Kid Rock, Lady Ga Ga or some speed metal
band and saying "oh I want to do that with my life"

Some of these bands  I have never heard, maybe Wolfmother is great. I have a feeling they aren't. I don't mean to sound rude
I just have trouble even understanding how someone could think there was parity between Lady Ga Ga or hiphop and say Pet SOunds
or Sgt Pepper or Elvis Presley or Elvis Costello. Now I did just listen to Wolfmother.. and that is legitimate hard rock, its kind of like a rehash of
Black Sabbath from 35 years ago. I don't see what the fuss is about. But I will admit its legitimate hard rock.

To each their own I suppose, Gie me some more of that classic rock! Give me life, liberty and Classic rock!
Jason
« Reply #177 on: May 15, 2011, 01:25:23 PM »

I'm 26. There will always be the "old geezers" who don't get the music of the current generation. That's just life. Our parents now don't like stuff like Lady Gaga or Nas or similar stuff because "it's trash". People said the same about Nine Inch Nails in the mid-90s, about Madonna in the 80s, about Alice Cooper in the 70s, about the Beatles in the 60s, about Elvis Presley in the 50s, and so on. Taste is relative. Age doesn't mean someone can't enjoy another generation's music. It's your cup of tea or it isn't.

Just for a little tidbit of fun...anyone ever heard Brian talk about new wave? Back in the 80s he raved about it. That's not "his generation's music". Point is that great music transcends trends and tastes. Same reason I have no problem listening to Hildegard of Bingen, J.S. Bach, Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby, Woody Guthrie, Elvis Presley, Serge Gainsbourg, Johnny Cash, the Beach Boys, Steve Reich, Os Mutantes, Alice Cooper, Venom, Madonna, Napalm Death, Nine Inch Nails, Emperor, Weezer, Nas, Taylor Swift, or Lady Gaga back to back. It's great music. All of this limiting of the "great music" to a certain period is revisionist Rolling Stone bullshit and DOES NOT belong in music appreciation. Ever notice how music polls nowadays basically ignore stuff before the 1960s? That's almost a thousand years of written music just disregarded, like it never fucking happened. Christ, even the Elvis Presley promotional propaganda machine likes to say that "before Elvis, there was nothing"; never mind the fact that Elvis lived and breathed all kinds of great music. That's not only sad, it's WRONG. This stuff cannot be regulated to the footnotes of the music history books. That goes for the classics and the new stuff today. Period.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2011, 06:38:58 PM »

Well That's true every older generation , dismisses newer music, I remember
my grandfather saying how great Al Jolson was, and my Father Frank Sinatra
and me the Beatles and Beach Boys .

Conversely every new generation thinks it knows everything and dismisses
older music that came before, and talks about stuff that will usually be forgotten
as great stuff.

But to each there own. This thread however is about the future of Classic Rock!
upcoming releases, re-releases and things like that. If you love Lady Ga Ga power to you.

As far as SMiLE as I understand it, the first disc on the set, will be as close an approximation
to the intended SMiLe as possible. Or as close to a finished album as possible. With the most
complete mix possible for each song. This disc will all be in mono.

So my question to the experts is this. Will one of the discs have a stereo representation of
the same thing as disc one ? I understand Brian Wilson heard everything in mono, and I understand
stereo was very primitive in mid 66 to mid 67, how many tracks did they have 4 or 8 ? not many.
but "new" stereo mixes woud be cool from my point of view. Unless almost everything is locked
together on the available masters. Onto one channel. I suppose it's going to ary from song to song
and they will not have multitracks for everything? or they will ?

and in the case of SMiLE  what does multi track really mean? are we talking pre-bounced pre pingponged
master tapes, or master tapes that have already been reduced? That would certainly limit any stereo
mixes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx