gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680828 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:22:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Classic Rock Outtakes Industry:where do we go from here?  (Read 24707 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2011, 09:13:16 AM »

O.K.: let's assume that Alan Boyd, Mark Linett & The Beach Boys are seeking a Grammy for "The Smile Sessions". There will be some serious competition from "Pink Floyd's "The Dark Side of The Moon" 6-disc "Immersion" box set. The "Smile" box will have to be incredible to win a Grammy.

Fair point... but Smile has one huge ace up the sleeve: it was never released. This is the... what, fourth, fifth reissue of DSOTM ?. Even Floyd fans, on hearing the news of the latest reissue series, are going "again ?". The Smile project is truly historic.

Yes, but this reissue(the 6-disc box set) of "The Dark Side of The Moon" has something that no previous reissue did: unreleased live & studio material.

In this case are these alternate versions of released songs,official releases of booted live songs(presumably in better quality) or songs that have never been released at all?
Simply for myself, I don't care, unless they are never released songs.

Well, people, there you have it - obviously Phil doesn't want The Smile Sessions released, and even if they are (and imagine his pain !), he sure as hell doesn't want them to win the 2012 Grammy for Best Historical Album.  Grin

I DO want "The Smile Sessions" to be released, but the Pink Floyd sets have now been compiled, the tracklistings for 2 of the 3 Floyd "Immersion" box sets have been revealed, and they are certain to be released, while an air of uncertainty hangs over the "Smile" box. Based on what we know at this point, The Pink Floyd "The Dark Side of The Moon" 6-disc box set will be difficult to beat in a contest over "Best Historical Release". If the "Smile" box will be equally impressive, I say "Show us what you've got!". The Pink Floyd projects are well into the mastering and manufacturing stages, while The Beach Boys "Smile Sessions" box still looks like what the computer industry calls "Vaporware"; advertised, but non-existent product.

I fall on the side of a definite release. Their( Capitol/EMI) plan was upset by Al's announcement, so a quickie statement was released, but this isn't a "vaporware" release. Capitol/EMI is simply playing it close to the vest, until Alan and Mark get all their ducks in a row; then they'll announce the details/ tracklists.  If it was a non-existent product, there's no way they would have announced the different versions

I'll stand alongside those who believe it's happening.

Not into this "show us what you've got" though, Phil.  If the set's delayed until Christmas – or beyond – to allow Mark and Alan to give it what they feel it needs, I'll be happy.  Al's statement already seems to have created an unnecessary rush, and this project is too special to rush.

“We live in divisive times.”
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »

I do have one question for the experts here.

We know SMiLE is being issued fairly soon. (this year)
and we know the Pink Floyd are re-issuing the entire catalogue
with bonus material, and various sonic upgrades.

Is it certain, SMiLE is the only album coming from the Beach Boys
or could they be working on a multi album release like Pink Floyd.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »

I obviously don't have an answer for you but the bottom line with all archival releases is if a band releases one archival release and it sells well, it might encourage them to release more from the vaults in the future.  Probably not the answer you wanted but if "SMiLE" puts up figures in line or exceeding what is expected of it, we might see more releases from The Beach Boys' archive in the next several years.

As far as other groups that I'd like to see archival releases from?  Judging from the little snippets that are included on "The Mamas & Papas Anthology" box set, some of their vocal sessions seem almost as much of a trip as some of The Beach Boys vocal sessions.  I'd love to hear me some more of that!

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
PhilCohen
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2011, 12:23:26 PM »

Unfortunately, the ABC, ABC/Dunhill, Probe, Bluesway group of labels had a policy of destroying multitracks as soon as the studios delivered them. With the exception of some Steely Dan albums,There are no multitracks for those labels. They were gone by the time MCA Records bought the labels.

I obviously don't have an answer for you but the bottom line with all archival releases is if a band releases one archival release and it sells well, it might encourage them to release more from the vaults in the future.  Probably not the answer you wanted but if "SMiLE" puts up figures in line or exceeding what is expected of it, we might see more releases from The Beach Boys' archive in the next several years.

As far as other groups that I'd like to see archival releases from?  Judging from the little snippets that are included on "The Mamas & Papas Anthology" box set, some of their vocal sessions seem almost as much of a trip as some of The Beach Boys vocal sessions.  I'd love to hear me some more of that!
PhilCohen
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »

Unfortunately, the ABC, ABC/Dunhill, ABC Probe & ABC/Bluesway labels did not save multitracks, so, by the time that MCA Records bought the labels, nearly all of the label's multitrack tapes(excepting SOME Steely Dan albums) were long gone.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2011, 12:34:23 PM »

Currently it's the only Beach Boys project in the works.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2011, 12:36:38 PM »

Unfortunately, the ABC, ABC/Dunhill, ABC Probe & ABC/Bluesway labels did not save multitracks, so, by the time that MCA Records bought the labels, nearly all of the label's multitrack tapes(excepting SOME Steely Dan albums) were long gone.

Man that sucks.  I knew something was off too with how little information there is on "The Mamas & Papas" recording sessions such as tracking and vocal dates etc.  I know both John and Michelle Phillips mentioned that they didn't have any unreleased songs in the can besides what they released on their albums.  I found that hard to believe but it's probably more representative of the fact that they don't have any unreleased material at their disposal since the breakup of the group that they could've released.  Pity.

Their sessions from how Michelle described them seemed like a trip as well with a lot of goofing around, carousing and drinking which probably would've made for some great bootleg fodder if the multi-tracks still existed.  

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2011, 12:53:17 PM »

These nicely packaged  reissues of classic material really kept me going there for awhile but I haven't seen too many lately.  I did hear the kinks were rereleasing their catalogue.  I really enjoyed Zombies and Love packages a couple years back.  Fine stuff I enjoyed even more the second time around.  I've yet to hear very much of the Cameo Parkway rereleases.  Anybody care to comment on those?

Anyhow, as someone said, now is the time to clean up and rerelease all of that old material before the aging boomer audience ,who still purchase CDs, is gone or slips into fixed income and decides to pass (Either pass  it by or simply pass on  Wink
PhilCohen
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2011, 03:57:53 PM »

As for whichever box set(Pink Floyd, Beach Boys or somebody else) may win a Grammy, may the best box set win. With these sort of mega box sets, the industry has invented a product where the only way to get 100% of the content of the original is to buy the original. Yes, the CD's can be cloned, and if you have an anti-encryption program, the DVD's can be cloned. But few consumers have a blu-ray burner(and Blu-Ray anti-encryption program) on their computer. But even if you've got all those things, you won't be able to exactly duplicate memorabilia, posters, books, the outer box etc.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2011, 07:20:57 PM »

These nicely packaged  reissues of classic material really kept me going there for awhile but I haven't seen too many lately.  I did hear the kinks were rereleasing their catalogue.  I really enjoyed Zombies and Love packages a couple years back.  Fine stuff I enjoyed even more the second time around.  I've yet to hear very much of the Cameo Parkway rereleases.  Anybody care to comment on those?

Anyhow, as someone said, now is the time to clean up and rerelease all of that old material before the aging boomer audience ,who still purchase CDs, is gone or slips into fixed income and decides to pass (Either pass  it by or simply pass on  Wink

Speaking of the Zombies, they have a new album out "Breathe Out, Breathe In" which sounds pretty good!  Only available on iTunes in the US, at the moment. Amazon in the UK.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:28:06 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2011, 06:16:30 AM »

These nicely packaged reissues of classic material really kept me going there for awhile but I haven't seen too many lately.  I did hear the kinks were re releasing their catalogue.  I really enjoyed Zombies and Love packages a couple years back. Fine stuff I enjoyed even more the second time around. I've yet to hear very much of the Cameo Parkway re releases. Anybody care to comment on those?

Anyhow, as someone said, now is the time to clean up and re release all of that old material before the aging boomer audience ,who still purchase Cd's, is gone or slips into fixed income and decides to pass (Either pass IT by or simply pass on  Wink

Speaking of the Zombies, they have a new album out "Breathe Out, Breathe In" which sounds pretty good! Only available on tunes in the US, at the moment. Amazon in the UK.

This is actually the second new Zombies album. The other being from 2004. Both new Zombies albums sound very similar
in terms of texture and songwriting. Argent wrote all the tunes, and he wrote some very good songs. Not classics like Time of
Season or She's Not There, but good songs nonetheless. Blunstone sings most of the lead vocals (Argent sings a few) they
sound fab fab fab. Amazingly this is only the sixth Zombies studio album .The two new albums are so similar they almost sound
as if they were all written and recorded at the same time.Jim Rodford is the bass player, I guess he replaced Pete Quaife in the Kinks
back in the seventies.Chris White The other original Zombie sings on the 2004 album doing harmonies,but not on the brand new CD
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »

Man that sucks.  I knew something was off too with how little information there is on "The Mamas & Papas" recording sessions such as tracking and vocal dates etc.  I know both John and Michelle Phillips mentioned that they didn't have any unreleased songs in the can besides what they released on their albums.  I found that hard to believe but it's probably more representative of the fact that they don't have any unreleased material at their disposal since the breakup of the group that they could've released.  Pity.

Their sessions from how Michelle described them seemed like a trip as well with a lot of goofing around, carousing and drinking which probably would've made for some great bootleg fodder if the multi-tracks still existed.  

I'd put down good money to bet that the multi-tracks from 'People Like Us' still exist only outtakes from these sessions 'Fantastic Four', and an early version of the track 'No Dough' were released on a reissue of John Phillips' Jack of Diamonds album, also the album was still pretty recent when Dunhill were trashing them.

The multi-tracks of "Dedicated to The One I Love", "Look Through My Window" and "My Girl" still exist (or at least survived much longer than the others.. they were used by Steve Hoffman on the compilation "16 of Their Greatest Hits" in 1986), the reason being, John had taken them out to experiment with quad mixes.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »

There was film shot inside Western Studio 3 of a Mamas And Papas vocal session, in 1967 for a special on ABC at the time. I have only seen a precious few seconds of this on some random Mamas and Papas documentary years ago...but it is in full color and quite awesome as far as I remember.

Just wondering if anyone may know more about this, as it's been awhile since I actively searched for info on that piece of film.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »

These nicely packaged reissues of classic material really kept me going there for awhile but I haven't seen too many lately.  I did hear the kinks were re releasing their catalogue.  I really enjoyed Zombies and Love packages a couple years back. Fine stuff I enjoyed even more the second time around. I've yet to hear very much of the Cameo Parkway re releases. Anybody care to comment on those?

Anyhow, as someone said, now is the time to clean up and re release all of that old material before the aging boomer audience ,who still purchase Cd's, is gone or slips into fixed income and decides to pass (Either pass IT by or simply pass on  Wink

Speaking of the Zombies, they have a new album out "Breathe Out, Breathe In" which sounds pretty good! Only available on tunes in the US, at the moment. Amazon in the UK.

This is actually the second new Zombies album. The other being from 2004. Both new Zombies albums sound very similar
in terms of texture and songwriting. Argent wrote all the tunes, and he wrote some very good songs. Not classics like Time of
Season or She's Not There, but good songs nonetheless. Blunstone sings most of the lead vocals (Argent sings a few) they
sound fab fab fab. Amazingly this is only the sixth Zombies studio album .The two new albums are so similar they almost sound
as if they were all written and recorded at the same time.Jim Rodford is the bass player, I guess he replaced Pete Quaife in the Kinks
back in the seventies.Chris White The other original Zombie sings on the 2004 album doing harmonies,but not on the brand new CD

Actually "Breathe Out, Breathe In" is the Zombies fourth new studio album since 1991.

1991 - "New World"

2001 - "Out of the Shadows" (billed as Blunstone/Argent for legal reasons) Great album

2004 - "As Far As I Can See"

2011 - "Breathe Out, Breathe In"

I also highly recommend Colin Blunstone's 2009 "The Ghost Of You & Me".  A sequel, of sorts, musically, to "One Year" (One of my favorite all time albums)

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2011, 12:49:28 PM »

Well technically that's true. about the Zombies, but the 1991 album does not have
Rod  Argent involved, so personally I wouldn't count that one.

Steve Hoffman Mama's and Papa's.. ?   He remastered quite a bit of ABC Dunhill or
just them?

The legendary Ken Scott of Beatle and David Bowie (and Supertramp) fame had
some very interesting things to say about Steve Hoffman. In Scott's view Hoffman
is a megalomaniac, and  to use his words "glorified cutting engineer"
I don't see how anyone could disagree. There are also stories about many
tapes that went missing. speaking of missing tapes and multis. and Hoffman.

Richie Podolor used to have quarter inch and half inch copies of all his Three Dog Night
and Steppenwolf Dunhill work, I wonder if anyone ever asked him about it, or just
went by the ABC archives list.

I enjoy the first three or four albums after SmileySmile is there any chance of a box
set for that material, wild honey, friends, 20/20 sunflower.surf's Up.. I guess that's five albums
the last great Brian Wilson Beach Boys tracks as the rest of the group began to fill the void
or take over.

Jason
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2011, 12:54:29 PM »

I enjoy the first three or four albums after SmileySmile is there any chance of a box
set for that material, wild honey, friends, 20/20 sunflower.surf's Up.. I guess that's five albums
the last great Brian Wilson Beach Boys tracks as the rest of the group began to fill the void
or take over.

Even if the band were to consider issuing every known unreleased outtake, appending the ones that have been released, and maybe adding the prerequisite stereo remixes, backing tracks, a cappellas, and related live material, you'd probably have a four-disc set at most. And I highly doubt it. But we've been surprised before, so...
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »

Well technically that's true. about the Zombies, but the 1991 album does not have
Rod  Argent involved, so personally I wouldn't count that one.

Not true. All the original members appear.  I have the album.  Rod plays keys on the  "Time of the Season" remake.  PLEASE, do some research when posting here.  I'm no AGD when it comes to the BB but I follow the Zombies closely.

Anyway, how can you not count it?  Chris White is on there, and it's called the Zombies.  Colin sings lead.  I guess the post Bon Scott albums shouldn't be called AC-DC.  Members do leave bands.

vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2011, 02:09:28 PM »

Rod  Argent involved, so personally I wouldn't count that one.

Not true. All the original members appear.  I have the album.  Rod plays keys on the  "Time of the Season" remake.  PLEASE, do some research when posting here.  I'm no AGD when it comes to the BB but I follow the Zombies closely.

Anyway, how can you not count it?  Chris White is on there, and it's called the Zombies.  Colin sings lead.  I guess the post Bon Scott albums shouldn't be called AC-DC.  Members do leave bands.

Take it easy friend. Yes I was aware, Rod Argent did participate on the one song, The remake of the 1968 Time of Season. But he did not participate
on any of the other songs. I guess it would be akin to The Stones without Keith Richards or the Who without Pete Townshend.I find that Blunstone
and Argent are the two irreplacable members of the Zombies, so for me the 1991 album doesn't really count because Argent only appears on the one
track the remake. The other member of the Band I think is really important is Chris White and I wish he had participated more but even so, with Argent
and Blunstone both involved from my point of view it is the Zombies. Argent wrote all the Zombies hit singles and the majority of their material, sang some
of the leads , played the keyboards ,produced and arranged, sang a lot of the backround vocals, I just don't see how you can call it the Zombies when
his involvment was almost nil on that album. Just a matter of opinion I suppose. But I do love both of the recent albums. and I think they sound like two peas
in a pod, nice matching bookend albums.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2011, 04:40:52 PM »

Rod  Argent involved, so personally I wouldn't count that one.

Not true. All the original members appear.  I have the album.  Rod plays keys on the  "Time of the Season" remake.  PLEASE, do some research when posting here.  I'm no AGD when it comes to the BB but I follow the Zombies closely.

Anyway, how can you not count it?  Chris White is on there, and it's called the Zombies.  Colin sings lead.  I guess the post Bon Scott albums shouldn't be called AC-DC.  Members do leave bands.

Take it easy friend. Yes I was aware, Rod Argent did participate on the one song, The remake of the 1968 Time of Season. But he did not participate
on any of the other songs. I guess it would be akin to The Stones without Keith Richards or the Who without Pete Townshend.I find that Blunstone
and Argent are the two irreplacable members of the Zombies, so for me the 1991 album doesn't really count because Argent only appears on the one
track the remake. The other member of the Band I think is really important is Chris White and I wish he had participated more but even so, with Argent
and Blunstone both involved from my point of view it is the Zombies. Argent wrote all the Zombies hit singles and the majority of their material, sang some
of the leads , played the keyboards ,produced and arranged, sang a lot of the backround vocals, I just don't see how you can call it the Zombies when
his involvment was almost nil on that album. Just a matter of opinion I suppose. But I do love both of the recent albums. and I think they sound like two peas
in a pod, nice matching bookend albums.

Ha, yeah. But you said " the 1991 album does not have Rod  Argent involved".  In addition to White, New World had original drummer Hugh Grundy doing all the drums.

Chris White  actually wrote more Zombie material than Rod.  Check out "Odessey and Oracle".  Some might argue it ain't the Zombies without Chris White.

Bottom line, saying "New World: isn't really a Zombies album is not correct.  That Rod wrote their three hits, I'll give you that.

vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2011, 05:19:13 PM »

Yes technically you are correct. Rod Argent participates on one song on the 1991 Zombies album.
To me that is minimal participation, Argent to my way of thinking is a core member of the Zombies
and without more participation from him, I don't think of it as really being the Zombies.

I was bothered greatly that Chris White barely participated in the two recent Zombies studio albums.
I  think White was a core member also. However in my judgement, my way of thinking, if you have
Argent and Blunstone you can say its bonafide Zombies. It bothers me without White, but you can
get away with it. But conversely without Argent to my way of thinking you can't. Argent's signature
keyboard sound, the hit material he wrote, his vocals and arranging, the two must have members
are Argent and Blunstone. Believe me I hesitate to call it The Zombies without Chris White, but as long
as you have the other two, I guess you can get away with it. As much as I like some of Rod Argent's
new songs on the two most recent albums. With Chris White as the other songwriter creating a foil
and contrast I'm sure I would have liked both albums even better..

I'm really hoping this forthcoming SMiLE will be fantastic and bring a little focus back to this era in music
which I think is just the most fertile, and productive ever. 1964-1972 something like that. Of course all
era's have some great music. Though I would be hard pressed to name anything recent that rises to that level.

I was really hoping Cream would do a new studio album when they got back together.Apparently Jack Bruce and
Ginger Baker cannot get along for more than about five minutes.
Jason
« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2011, 05:33:22 PM »

I'm really hoping this forthcoming SMiLE will be fantastic and bring a little focus back to this era in music
which I think is just the most fertile, and productive ever. 1964-1972 something like that. Of course all
era's have some great music. Though I would be hard pressed to name anything recent that rises to that level.

Weezer, Fleet Foxes, Beachwood Sparks, Stereolab, Aphex Twin, Bebel Gilberto, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Lady Gaga...plenty of stuff. Open your ears and especially your mind.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:35:48 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2011, 06:30:22 PM »

Weezer, Fleet Foxes, Beachwood Sparks, Stereolab, Aphex Twin, Bebel Gilberto, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Lady Gaga...plenty of stuff. Open your ears and especially your mind.

Yes I am familiar with some of the work from those artists you mentioned. Some of them are ok, I would never mention them as
being on the same level as The Beatles or Beach Boys or Bob Dylan, Pete Townshend, Paul Simon, Hendrix, not even close.
It's all subjective of course. But to mention Lady  Ga Ga or  Weezer as equals to Brian Wilson with Pet Sounds or Smile or the
Beatles With Abbey Road or Rubber Soul or Simon and Garfunkel or Janis Joplin or Hendrix, it's just not so. For whatever reason
rock was more fertile then than it is now.Part of it of course is my mindset and prejudices or preferences, but realistically the artists
today have not proven themselves to be equal with their own Tommy or Bridge over Troubled Water or Pet Sounds. My one friend
is wild over Radio head, I listened to two of their albums at his insistence, and I thought, why does he think they are great? I Listened to
Lady Ga Ga, I thought well she has some talent, she writes songs and sings, but I don't like it much. I listen to Weezer occasionally
I like them a bit. I don't think much of Green Day. I liked this goup Collective Soul a little bit. Coldplay is ok. Oasis is ok, but none of
them are really great.Not compared to Electric Ladyland or Pet Sounds or Sgt Pepper, not even in the same league. No to me anyway.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 14, 2011, 06:39:44 PM »

Weezer is a great, great band, well at least the blue album and Pinkerton, with the attendant b-sides. But I don't know if they are quite at the point of Brian and co.

But yeah there is a lot of bands/artists that are still great. I used to have a rule that there was hardly any good music that came out after 1974, but yeah there is still lots of great from the past 20 or so years, stuff like Animal Collective, Sufjan Stevens, Radiohead, Dr. Dre, Nirvana, Elliott Smith, Elvis Costello, etc.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2011, 07:46:10 PM »

Yes technically you are correct. Rod Argent participates on one song on the 1991 Zombies album.
To me that is minimal participation, Argent to my way of thinking is a core member of the Zombies
and without more participation from him, I don't think of it as really being the Zombies.

I was bothered greatly that Chris White barely participated in the two recent Zombies studio albums.
I  think White was a core member also. However in my judgement, my way of thinking, if you have
Argent and Blunstone you can say its bonafide Zombies. It bothers me without White, but you can
get away with it. But conversely without Argent to my way of thinking you can't. Argent's signature
keyboard sound, the hit material he wrote, his vocals and arranging, the two must have members
are Argent and Blunstone. Believe me I hesitate to call it The Zombies without Chris White, but as long
as you have the other two, I guess you can get away with it. As much as I like some of Rod Argent's
new songs on the two most recent albums. With Chris White as the other songwriter creating a foil
and contrast I'm sure I would have liked both albums even better..

I was really hoping Cream would do a new studio album when they got back together.Apparently Jack Bruce and
Ginger Baker cannot get along for more than about five minutes.

I read that Chris co-wrote some of the new songs though I haven't seen credits.  He is doing a live gig in London with the band, as is Hugh Grundy.  I agree that Argent's keyboard sound is essentila but so was David Marks guitar, and Denny's voice but the BB carried on.

Jason
« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »

Weezer is a great, great band, well at least the blue album and Pinkerton, with the attendant b-sides. But I don't know if they are quite at the point of Brian and co.

But yeah there is a lot of bands/artists that are still great. I used to have a rule that there was hardly any good music that came out after 1974, but yeah there is still lots of great from the past 20 or so years, stuff like Animal Collective, Sufjan Stevens, Radiohead, Dr. Dre, Nirvana, Elliott Smith, Elvis Costello, etc.

Indeed, all of those are great. Some of the best music nowadays is coming out of the hip-hop, and, surprisingly, metal areas. If they're your cup of tea you'll find much to love.

Wolfmother is awesome too, although the constant comparisons to Zeppelin and Blue Cheer hurt them. They're much more than just a derivative. Nas and Outkast are about the best you'll find in hip-hop nowadays. Taylor Swift has much more potential than her music seems to imply; the whole "top 40 with fiddles/steel guitars" country scene needs to go. Jazmine Sullivan is probably the best modern R&B artist. The black and death metal scenes are still producing some great groups. Case in point, to Mr. vintagemusic, there's ALWAYS good stuff out there; sometimes even in the "mainstream".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx