gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:10:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Little Deuce Coupe
5 - 19 (19.2%)
4 - 28 (28.3%)
3 - 34 (34.3%)
2 - 16 (16.2%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 2 (2%)
Total Voters: 92

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Little Deuce Coupe  (Read 63260 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2016, 09:56:21 PM »

To me, the Beach Boys' car songs are more dated and shallow than anything else they did (except, I guess, their surf songs).  So I really don't like 11 of the 12 songs on this album.

But No-Go Showboat is absolute magic.  Nothing else sounds like it, and I'm not sure how anything else could.  You almost have to wonder if No-Go Showboat was the real product of Brian's first acid trip.

No Go Showboat is a cool tune with impressive chord changes, as is Custom Machine. Brian took the chords and melodies into areas other people hadn't even thought of yet. Love the overall sound of this album; I rate it higher than Surfer Girl.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2016, 07:50:17 PM »

I absolutely like the both songs. This is an underrated album with overrated t/t. Though tbh, I enjoyed hearing Al sing it in "Live in Vegas".
Smiley
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2017, 11:56:10 AM »

I give it 5 stars despite a single flaw…Be True To Your School, which sounds like a throwaway in Brian’s stream of composition that gained traction nevertheless. The song’s musical ideas are near hackneyed, near Billy Joel. Adding insult, Mike arrives with his too-quick phrasing and the adverb “now.” Elsewhere on the album, Mike’s singing is better. Otherwise…

Give me Roger Christian. This is the Brian/Roger album. Seemingly effortless song craft…from Brian’s thoughts, Roger’s legitimate argot as added trope, to each 2.5 minute soundscape that keeps it simple and adds Beach Boy early career-making harmonies.  Lots of room for strong metaphor and philosophy in the whole shebang. My favorite is Cherry Cherry Coupe, with the static base-added melody under the harmony in the chorus end.  Think of the subconscious supporting the overt eros.

Here’s a great short album…  “The Beach Boys Sing the Brian Wilson-Roger Christian Songbook”…

Car Crazy Cutie
Little Deuce Coupe
Cherry Cherry Coupe
Don’t Worry Baby
In The Parking Lot
No-Go Showboat
Spirit of America
Shut Down
Ballad of Ol’ Betsy
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2017, 02:13:09 PM »

Odd that I haven't commented yet, although I seem to have voted.

All good songs here, even----sorry, DC----"BTTYS", which has its own charms distinct from those of the 45.

LDC vies with Holland for a place in my BB top ten albums, the one setback being the fact that it shares a song with SUSA, a top ten certainty. Whatever, a great little album and I hope I gave it five.

Good to see Mr Cunningham back on board. His erudition is sorely missed.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2017, 02:35:13 PM »

JK: Good to hear from you.  Realized l had a message from FF.  Hope you didn't mind too much
my negativity (about BTTYS). I feel a little negativity is good for one's soul. Plus I earn it by estimating
that Hey Little Tomboy is.......fantastic. 
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2020, 07:34:03 PM »

Preface: I only assign a rating of one star to songs that are literally duplicates.

Little Deuce Coupe (Mono, 2015 AP release)

Side 1:

1. Little Deuce Coupe - *

2. Ballad of Ole' Betsy - ****
Nice second song on the album. Great lead and backing vocals.

3. Be True To Your School - *****
Classic song. The single version has a bit more punch but a great number regardless.

4. Car Crazy Cutie - ****
This one is pretty fun, and solid vocal performances.

5. Cherry, Cherry Coupe - ****
One of the best on the album. Nice feel to it and good vocals.

6. 409 - *

Side 2:

7. Shut Down - *

8. Spirit of America - *****
This song has grown on me. Always thought it was pretty good, but something about the lead gives me chills.

9. Our Car Club - *

10. No-Go Showboat - ****
I like Brian a lot on this one. Solid all-around

11. A Young Man Is Gone - ****
I prefer the original lyrics from "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring" but this is great either way.

12. Custom Machine - ****
Not memorable but not one I skip. I had this and No-Go Showboat as three stars originally but bumped them up.

Overall Rating: ***
I have thought of this as a weak album but it's really not one to be honest. The main issue here is the retreads. No spoken words or instrumentals to bring it down otherwise. Every new song is fantastic.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx