gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:30:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Little Deuce Coupe
5 - 19 (19.2%)
4 - 28 (28.3%)
3 - 34 (34.3%)
2 - 16 (16.2%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 2 (2%)
Total Voters: 92

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Little Deuce Coupe  (Read 63300 times)
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »

A step backwards after Surfer Girl unsurprisingly considering how quickly the band were forced to release this. Lyrically the album doesn't hold up too well but Custom Machine and No Go Showboat are both nice up-tempo numbers and the harmonies on Ballad of Ole' Betsy are exquisite.

2 1/2 out of 5.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2012, 11:15:57 AM »

Little Deuce Coupe may pale in comparison to other albums from this period, but considering it was released three weeks after Surfer Girl i think it's 'failures' can easily be forgiven, no? Judge it by the new songs only and you've got yourself a pretty decent (mini-)album. Old Betsy and Spirtit of America are beautifully sung, particuarly the latter which features a tremendous early Brian lead. Cherry Cherry Coupe is simplistic but very catchy, while No-Go Showboat and Custom Machine are genuinely great songs - Brian's songwriting and production skills are all very apparent on these two songs! They're both so intricate and tightly arranged, far more elaborate than they perhaps appear on the surface.

It's a comfortable 3 from me.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2012, 09:00:42 AM »

With the exception of the title track and a couple of others, this doesn't have much I like. Inessential or worse, in my estimation, and if not for the fact that it came on the twofer with the great All Summer Long, I likely would have sold my copy.

Finally sat down and listened all the way through several times. Luther's comments sum up my thoughts, although I would never sell a BB cd!! All summer long blows this out of the water.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2012, 05:26:20 AM »

This album is so much better than All Summer Long.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2012, 08:07:58 AM »

imo this album is an utter throwaway, made in 1 month to piss Capitol off. it's pure filler.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2012, 01:38:31 AM »

imo this album is an utter throwaway, made in 1 month to piss Capitol off. it's pure filler.

It's not THAT bad. The mono mix helps a lot, Britzereo ruins so much of the early catalogue. In The Parking Lot, Betsy, Custom Machine....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2012, 09:58:13 AM »

I like it much better than the first two albums. I don't think it's a throwaway at all.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »

I love almost every song on this album (I like them all) so I gave it a 5  Grin Smokin

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »

the album perhaps deserved to be docked for the five repeats, but 6 of the 7 other songs I think are GREAT. Don't get the 'utter throwaway' judgment. Yeah, it would have made a better 8 song EP, perhaps....but those songs are great.
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2013, 12:42:29 PM »

The new songs for this album are great. However, while the repeats are good, it's no fun hearing the same songs two albums in a row. Still a pretty strong album from the group. This is where they began to cut back on the instrumentals (A plus, indeed).

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »

You got to respect this album for being one of the first concept albums ever.

That being said, I don't care for this album at all. It's all car songs, and the whole album is dated. The songs are mediocre at best.

Still, it is one of the first concept albums...
But then again, it was rush-recorded and released straight after Surfer Girl. Not a wise move.

2/5.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2013, 02:38:41 AM »

This album is worth a 4 if only for the unexpectedly beautiful harmonies in Custom Machine.

A discipline daddy.
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2013, 05:26:56 AM »

I really love the "Little Deuce Coupe" album, and give it a strong 4/5. It's a pure car-themed album with some really solid songs. My favourites on the album, other than the hit singles are "Custom Machine", "No-Go Showboat" and "Cherry, Cherry Coupe".

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2013, 03:04:06 PM »

What would you replace the repeat tracks (LTD, 409 and Shut Down) with on this record?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2013, 01:36:41 PM »

What would you replace the repeat tracks (LTD, 409 and Shut Down) with on this record?
Tbh, I'd leave it as it is, even despite the fact that I don't like the t/t. It totally belongs there. Side 1, beginning track.

Fair enough. How about Shut Down, Our Car Club and/or 409, then?

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2013, 10:47:22 AM »

Our Car Club rules! Now, my turn for asking - what would you replace the repeat tracks with on LDC?

Not sure. Were there any other tracks available at the time or songs Brian wrote for other artists that were considered for the Beach Boys? "Surf City" comes to mind, but I'm not sure if Brian ever intended that for the Boys.

RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2013, 10:56:22 AM »

2/5.

Little Deuce Coupe (song and the album) sucks. But Car Crazy Cutie is the most underrated BB song from pre-Today period.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »

Id give it 3/5 because it has to many repeats .. Beyond that I think the new songs are good to very good.. Cover art does nothing for me..Lots of hot rod lp"s back then + they all looked like this one.. This Lp is a holding pattern .. When this was released single version BTTYS + LSN came out Fall // Winter 63
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2014, 12:49:17 PM »

Judged on its own terms, LITTLE DEUCE COUPE is a fine record and also rock's first concept album. The album covers the full emotional range of automotive life, from cocky celebrations to mournful odes. Yes, there are reissued cuts but the Stones pulled a near classic when they did the same with FLOWERS and Brian makes it happen on LITTLE DEUCE COUPE. This is classic Americana. Those who bash this record are being...Beach Boys snobs!

bluesno1fann
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2014, 02:29:30 PM »

Judged on its own terms, LITTLE DEUCE COUPE is a fine record and also rock's first concept album. The album covers the full emotional range of automotive life, from cocky celebrations to mournful odes. Yes, there are reissued cuts but the Stones pulled a near classic when they did the same with FLOWERS and Brian makes it happen on LITTLE DEUCE COUPE. This is classic Americana. Those who bash this record are being...Beach Boys snobs!

But Flowers is actually a compilation, while LDC is a official studio album.
When compared to most of the 60's album, this album falls far short.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2014, 02:49:26 PM »

Didn't FLOWERS contain several cuts that were unique to that album? I find it more enjoyable than BETWEEN THE BUTTONS. Look it this way: Some kid in the 60's could have owned LITTLE DEUCE COUPE or FLOWERS as his/her only Beach Boys or Stones LP and been none the poorer for the reissued cuts. Once knew a guy who claimed FLOWERS rated second to only to EXILE among Stones platters. Of course, he was high at the time, but to each his own. Grin
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 02:50:21 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
KDS
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2015, 12:30:16 PM »

I gave this a 3, but it's a high three for the overall quality.  However, since 1/3 of the album are songs that appeared on the previous three albums, I had to take it down a point. 

I love The Ballad of Ole Betsy.  It was a treat to hear that on the C50 Tour.  I prefer the single version of Be True to Your School, but it's a different take. 

There's also a great group vocal is A Young Man is Gone, which is basically Their Hearts Were Full of Spring with different lyrics. 

The arrangements are good, but thematically, it's a little repetitive.  A step back in quality from Surfer Girl IMO. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2015, 05:59:33 AM »

Of the early Surf n' Turf albums, I always thought of Surfer Girl as their best.  But lately I feel like Little Deuce Coupe is better in many regards.  It's the first album where I feel like Brian Wilson's production becomes another member of the band, so-to-speak.  Just like Surfer Girl, the whole album is good, but the production is a show-stopper.  It feels tighter.  Shinier.  Bigger, yes, but not bloated.

I think the production is actually a sweet spot for the band and it perfectly fits the car metaphors.  Fast, tight, lean and mean.  Not too crowded, and no longer surf-band garage-y.  There's something going on here with this Brian Wilson guy that probably raised a few eyebrows by now.  He knows what he's doin'.  It ain't a fluke.

Surfer Girl was, if not a transition from their first two loose, early surf band albums, it was definitely an awakening.  A culmination of their early work.  But it's on Little Deuce Coupe where he goes beyond.  It's now all polished up and perfected -- even though a few tracks date from those earlier efforts, yes --but because of that, it's the new stuff -- the "filler" -- that Brian's focusing on.  It's the secret to this album's appeal.  The filler, is no longer throw-away.  It fills in the gaps perfectly -- like the mortar between the bricks.  It holds it all together.

After this, on Shut Down Volume II, the production starts to feel extremely dense (and a little scary at times!).  You can tell there was a lot of work and effort on their construction -- a lot of experimentation.  But on Deuce Coupe it doesn't sound like he's searching at all -- it sounds solid, focused and sure of itself -- like Brian knew exactly what he wanted.  It just sounds all too easy.  And as a result, I seem to reach for Deuce Coupe more than any of their early fun-in-the-sun albums.  This is the "good old days."  Perfect Beach Boys.

I feel like he could have made a dozen albums like this.  Without burning himself out.  But he wasn't settling or resting.  On the next album, he starts building the layered sonic palette he became famous for -- a dense wall of sound, behind a barrage of vocals. I always felt those massive details must have been lost on most AM radio fans.  Plus, it sounds like a lot of work -- which could have worn him out.  It's probably the reason we have the MAJOR gaps between the filler and the killer material on the next few albums.  He put too much pressure on himself.

Nevertheless... on Little Deuce Coupe, we get to enjoy the simple days, one last time.  5 stars.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:12:36 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2016, 04:38:27 PM »

To me, the Beach Boys' car songs are more dated and shallow than anything else they did (except, I guess, their surf songs).  So I really don't like 11 of the 12 songs on this album.

But No-Go Showboat is absolute magic.  Nothing else sounds like it, and I'm not sure how anything else could.  You almost have to wonder if No-Go Showboat was the real product of Brian's first acid trip.

catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2016, 06:39:52 PM »

Wow. I'm so in love with your comment.

I also think that the album must be considered as a work on its own, not minding that some of its songs were on previous albums. I gave it 4/5, because I love the energy in it. The guys really seem in control and focused. You know what, maybe if I could vote again I'd give it a five - It's one of the albums that I listen to the most.

Favorite songs: Be True To Your School, Car Crazy Cutie, Cherry, Cherry Coupe and Our Car Club

Le moineau est venu se poser à ma fenêtre.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx