gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 09:26:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any singers you can think of that sound like The Beach Boys?  (Read 5938 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 06:48:16 AM »

Fleet Foxes

Some will differ but that band has almost made a career from rewriting You're Welcome a couple o' dozen times? (I love them by the way...)

“We live in divisive times.”
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 07:20:48 AM »

Fleet Foxes

Some will differ but that band has almost made a career from rewriting You're Welcome a couple o' dozen times? (I love them by the way...)

Haha! I can see that.
They have a song on their new album that has a real Phil Spector vibe (instrumentally at least) http://youtu.be/Mtx7zLRM8t8

This guy sounds like every one of the Beach Boys at the exact same time:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmcguire70#p/u

Wow! This guys is pretty great. His version of Hushabye is pretty special. http://youtu.be/xpgfIwQkw_Y
From my side of the world too. I wonder if he is in any of the local Beach Boys tribute bands.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 07:53:19 AM »

Ok, so nobody agrees that Mike Stripe sounds like Mike Love Tongue

Well how about this guy from They Might Be Giants?

http://youtu.be/NAbZzdalZh4

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 02:56:30 AM »

Already mentioned several times but the Explorers Club for me.  Love 'em to pieces.

It's fun to see how many BB songs you can identify in each song of theirs. There's even a Rio Grande moment and another track that could slip right onto Wild Honey and only Brian would know for sure.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:58:26 AM by kiwi surfer » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 03:06:12 AM »

As far as singers whose voices sound like members of the Beach Boys (rather than bands that are trying to adopt a similar style)...

I'd have to agree with Don_Zabu. Panda Bear from Animal Collective sounds a lot like a mixture of Brian and Al at the same time. This is best demonstrated in the song Comfy In Nautica http://youtu.be/25_gjUbvqNg

Funnily enough, just listening to the new Panda Bear album now as I'm reading this.

I agree with the above poster that imitation usually results in a case of diminishing returns but I think Panda Bear and Animal CXollective are a good example of a modern band borrowing a sound and building on it/taking it in new directions, just as Brian Wilson took the Phil Spector sound and fashioned something entirely original out of it. You only have to look at how influentional AC have been on subsequent new bands to realise they are more than mere copyists.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 04:58:47 AM »

Fleet Foxes

I thought the reason they existed was to make every 20something buy a plaid shirt and form a terrible band.  Bit like Nirvana 20 years ago.
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 05:00:37 AM »

As far as singers whose voices sound like members of the Beach Boys (rather than bands that are trying to adopt a similar style)...

I'd have to agree with Don_Zabu. Panda Bear from Animal Collective sounds a lot like a mixture of Brian and Al at the same time. This is best demonstrated in the song Comfy In Nautica http://youtu.be/25_gjUbvqNg

Funnily enough, just listening to the new Panda Bear album now as I'm reading this.

I agree with the above poster that imitation usually results in a case of diminishing returns but I think Panda Bear and Animal CXollective are a good example of a modern band borrowing a sound and building on it/taking it in new directions, just as Brian Wilson took the Phil Spector sound and fashioned something entirely original out of it. You only have to look at how influentional AC have been on subsequent new bands to realise they are more than mere copyists.

Admittedly these bands are called things like Rude Dog & The Dweebs, Geocities and Doogie Howser MD and hopefully will be defunct within a year.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 05:41:17 AM »

Admittedly these bands are called things like Rude Dog & The Dweebs, Geocities and Doogie Howser MD and hopefully will be defunct within a year.

Caribou, The Morning Benders, Deerhunter, Grizzly Bear to name but a few. Whether they'll last, who can say, but Animal Collective's influence, specifically Merriweather Post Pavillion, is undeniable, just as Brian Wilson's influence on that album is plain to hear. I think that the classic Beach Boys' albums are still influencing music and pushing it forward in exciting and creative directions is something to celebrate. There's a good article about it here: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/arts/all-hail-the-zoo-wave/story-e6frg8n6-1225986627496
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:44:25 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx