gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681028 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 09:43:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Do You Pronounce "I Love to Say Da-da/Da Da/Dada"?  (Read 2079 times)
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »

Is it dada as in Dadaism? Or as in daddy?

I've seen it written different ways, but wasn't sure what to glean from it.

If it's as in daddy perhaps there's a relation to the "Mamamama" section from "Wonderful".

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »

It's hard to say how it's pronounced since the words never appear in the song! Smiley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »

Why did I JUST have this same conversation with my wife earlier? LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CatchAWave
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:55:41 PM »

I have always thought of the title as a double entendre. I believe, IMOHO, that the title is a pun on the concept of the album, as well as the whole Child is the Father of the Man lyrics of the album.

Dadaism played a major influence in Pop Art, and I believe that this is what Smile was intended to be; baroque Pop Art with a commercial slant. I don't believe that Smile was trying to evoke the spirit of

true Dadaism, a rejection of all art as a concept created by the bourgeois capitalist society, but rather a pure expression of Pop Art. So I guess I believe that the title of the song is pronounced in the

traditional art sense. I have no facts to back up my opinion, but I like the way the title sounds when pronounced this way.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 01:06:11 AM »

It's hard to say how it's pronounced since the words never appear in the song! Smiley

But they do in "Cool, Cool Water".  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 02:41:45 AM »

It's actually pronounced doo doo.  Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 04:04:49 AM »

I pronounce it Dah-Dah (the art movement), but then I also say 'barth', 'grah-ss' and so on, cos I'm a (british) southerner, so that might have something to do with it  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:57:57 AM »

My guess is Dada as in the art movement. Has anyone asked Brian about this in the past 5 decades?

About Cool Cool Water: isn't it actually the "wah-doo" chant, as in "wah doo, wah doo, wah doo, wah doo"? I lived in Boston for  some time, and "water" was pronounced what-ahh. I've never heard an accent say wah-doo for water unless it was a Subud thing... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »

There's also the da-da-da backing vox in Wonderful...and wasn't the Mamamamamama chant supposed to have originated with Wonderful?

I'm guessing there's a plethora of parent/child imagery goin' on...
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »

When was the vox for this recorded??
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »

I find it interesting that the edit on Secret Smile has the musicians move into a third section that quickly breaks down. It sounds remarkably like Child (specifically the piano version with the 'woodchuck' or 'whoah child' vocals). Always make me think there might be more in the dada = dadda theory, and that LTSDD really has more in common with Child than water.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx