gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:52:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guilty Pleasure Songs From The Catalog (Or Not)  (Read 7049 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2006, 12:37:59 PM »

Beach Boys songs, official and otherwise, that you know you're not supposed to like, but do anyway.  Let the tomatos fly:

"Our Team"

Just a fun song for me, captures that 1964/65 spirit in a good way.  It would have fit nicely on Shut Down Volume 2

"Hey Little Tomboy" (released version)

(And, honestly, most of the MIU album) Sorry, but Brian's just not very menacing to me- lyrics are pretty dodgy, as usual, but love the chorus.  I wish they'd done something with it about six years earlier and sung it a little better.

Brian's Back

Guess I'm just a sentimental sap.

Now- purge thyselves!

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 02:07:37 PM »

Agreed.  Believe it or not, I'm REALLY digging Mike's new version of Brian is Back.  His voice really sounds aged in it, no winey winey, but hey it sounds really sweet. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 02:13:55 PM »

"Summer of love" from SIP (and yes, I like the whole album, though I don't know which version I have). When I first heard those "sum-sum-summer summer of love" harmonies, I felt like I was in heaven, that was 1999 when I was 14/15. And I still dig it....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 06:03:20 PM »

I also have a soft spot for Brian's Back...Carl's voice adds to it immensely.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 06:08:38 PM »

I can't think of any one song which I would consider a guilty pleasure. Most of their career is widely considered one big fat blemish on music so it makes little difference which song I name drop to people ---- it all gathers the same response.

Cry

Screw em'

:D

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 07:31:35 PM »

Yeah, I like the MIU "Hey Little Tomboy".  The other one, on the other hand...

Guilty-pleasure wise, I'd probably have to pick "Do You Like Worms".  I just love playing that on the piano (or attempting), banging out the opening "THUMP, THUMP, THUMP-THUMP-THUMP..."
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 04:17:50 AM »

I made a top 25 of my favorite Beach Boys songs recently, and I'll admit it included Winter Symphony, Soulful Old Man Sunshine... and... (*ducks for cover*) Kokomo.  Cool
carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 04:59:01 AM »

Brian's Back is a good song, I like it too. 

How She Boogalooed it
Funky Pretty
Lady Lynda
Cotton Fields
Let's Go To Heaven in my Car

and for a non-BB catalog guilty pleasure:
Sugar Sugar -Archies-  Kiss Kiss
The Monkees Headquarters album
Down by the Lazy River-Osmonds (LOL, don't ask,  I don't know why)  Huh

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 06:04:05 AM »

-the whole MIU album
-Here Comes the Night (LA version)
-Hold On Dear Brother
-take good care of your feet

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 07:36:30 AM »

-the whole MIU album
-Here Comes the Night (LA version)
-Hold On Dear Brother
-take good care of your feet

I LOVE MIU (except Winds of Change).  Not so hot on the disco HCTN.  Love Hold on Dear Brother, but don't think the world at large would consider it a guilty pleasure -- it actually sounds like a pretty hip slice of 70s country rock to me.

I also adore Take a Load off Your Feet.  Probably most BB/BW fans don't even like it, but I think it's very catchy, funny in a light hearted way, with cool production, and a beautiful vocal from Brian on the bridge.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 09:52:30 AM »

I feel no guilt about deriving pleasure from listening to At My Window, Student Demonstration Time, and He Come Down, which are songs that get some flak from time to time to time

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 01:21:31 PM »

I can't believe "At My Window" catches it (though I know you're right)- I love that song.   To me it distills the spirit of the whole Sunflower album, as diverse as that album is. 

Funny how sometimes one song seems to catch the feeling of a whole album; that song does for me.  Give 'em hell, Al!

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 02:15:22 PM »

At My Window is a really nice song, but what does that little bird say, in French is it? Haven't figured that out yet.  It would be a cool kids' song. I play the whole Surfs Up/Sunflower 2fer while on my walk through the park every day. 
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 02:15:49 PM »

I want to see a list of BBs songs I'm not "supposed" to like and then see how many of them I DO like.

At My Window - check
Take a Load Off Your Feet - check
Hey Little Tomboy - check...

Watch out for snakes!
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 03:41:14 AM »

Kokomo is my guilty listening pleasure. Mike is way corny but Carl helps save the song from total lameness.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 11:52:02 AM »

"Tears In The Morning": masterpiece of being whipsawed from intense rage and to sickening sentimentality by lost love.  Kick hiney production too.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 11:03:22 PM »

I like every Beach Boys song I've ever heard, so I guess all of them are guilty pleasures.

Ones of note include Here Comes the Night (disco version), Wipeout, and Forever with the Stamos lead

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 08:20:21 PM »

More:
In my Car
Sumahama
Still Cruisin
Too Much Sugar
Sunshine (both KTSA & Imagination)
all of GIOMH, especially Saturday Morning
Walking Down the Pathway
Save the Day (kinda)
Smart Girls (kinda, without the BB hits, if there was such a  mix)
Turning Point
Heavenly Bodies
In my Moondreams
Just Say No
male Ego
Oh Darling
Getting Late
California Calling
The TM Song (the song, not the arguing)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
All-Seeing Eye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 09:33:34 PM »

I actually love Smart Girls, and it never fails to put a huge smile on my face. The first time I heard it, it was on the Dr. Demento show. Brian stopped by the studio and chatted a bit with the Dr., and he brought a tape of Smart Girls with him. That's why he stopped by! I nearly fell out of my seat hearing Brian's "rapping" and knowing that Brian knew that the song was funny enough to be on Dr. Demento (which features funny, strange, sick, and/or demented songs). So the track wasn't to be taken seriously, it was supposed to be funny! If you try to take the song seriously, it's a miserable failure. But on the Dr. Demento show, it blew my mind, and I love it to this day.  Afro

I'm keeping an eye on things.
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 08:29:48 AM »

I like every Beach Boys song I've ever heard, so I guess all of them are guilty pleasures.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 01:35:18 PM »

The entirety of that Dr. Demento interview is the most demented thing he's ever broadcast.  Brian's reminiscences about child abuse are about the farthest out I've ever heard him get.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 01:38:34 PM »

worse than the Wouldnt it be nice book?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 01:44:01 PM »

Brian provides sound effects during his vivid description of a typical beating: "WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! WHAM!  WHAM!" It's pretty uncomfortable listening.  All touched off because  Dr. Demento plays him "Two-Step Side-Step".  Kind of like waving a torch at the Frankenstein monster, I guess.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 02:12:23 PM »

My BB's guilty pleasure is "Shortnin' Bread."  Grin
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 02:24:27 PM »