gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:26:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile release date and price, it seems  (Read 24084 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 02:56:31 PM »

Just going by the price in Euros zapped through an online currency converter.  Pleeease don't haul me up on it when it comes out cheaper or more expenzive!  :-)

I promise, Helper!  Grin  $214.00 is a little expensive, but for the limited edition set, I don't think they'll have a problem getting that. I'll be one of the suckers.........uh, collectors to pick one up.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »

There were never any Duophonic covers printed up, were there?  Just the mono, right?

No, wait! That Smile cover artwork on that web site advertizing the new Smile release I think may be legit!  My bootleg 12" x 12" Smile artwork has the "Duophonic Stereo" designation at the top and my Frank Holmes signed artwork also has the "Duophonic" at the top. But I suspect the web site ad probably got the artwork for its ad off of Wikipedia or something else.

Here's hoping this new release will have ALL of Frank's original artwork with it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:45:40 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 03:30:31 PM »

I can see paying upwards of $200 for a Bear Family box set because those are generally ridiculous ten-disc, 100+-page hardcover book affairs... I would certainly not pay such amounts for a four-disc, 60-page hardcover book box set though. I'm sure, however, that the prices, like the release dates, are merely "estimates" and will be eminently more reasonable when actually divulged!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »

I can see paying upwards of $200 for a Bear Family box set because those are generally ridiculous ten-disc, 100+-page hardcover book affairs... I would certainly not pay such amounts for a four-disc, 60-page hardcover book box set though. I'm sure, however, that the prices, like the release dates, are merely "estimates" and will be eminently more reasonable when actually divulged!

Indeed. Following a crappy economy and a lag in work I sadly won't be buying this set if it's $200+.

I can reasonably see this set going for $150, however $214?Huh 4 discs a few vinyls and a book? No Thanks. If it's that price come late summer I'll just buy the 2 disc set.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 03:49:29 PM »

Did I miss something or do all of these entries seem to concern the limited edition box rather than the double-CD?  The latter would undoubtedly have its own unique catalog number.  Makes one wonder if the two packages are being released simultaneously after all.  Perhaps, the 2-CD set will come out later?

All releases - 2CD set, box and download - were going to be simultaneous, last I saw.

Wouldn't separate formats warrant separate catalogue numbers?

Some sites jumping the gun happens, but the discrepancy in dates is unsettling. Best to be conservative. A late July/August date?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »

Even if some of these prices are accurate, American fans don't necessarily need to worry.  Europeans simply pay more for this sort of thing (sorry, Europeans!).  The Pet Sounds Sessions box costs about 75% more at Amazon.de and Amazon.fr than it does on Amazon.com.  If this thing does end up costing the equivalent of $150 to $200 in Europe, rest assured that it'll be available for $100-$120 in the US.  And that's not that bad, right? I mean come on folks, this is the Smile Sessions box... the holy grail for BB fans.  You can find a way to afford this.  Beg.  Borrow.  Sell your watch.  Eat macaroni & cheese for the next 3 months.  Wink

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 06:19:55 PM »

Did I miss something or do all of these entries seem to concern the limited edition box rather than the double-CD?  The latter would undoubtedly have its own unique catalog number.  Makes one wonder if the two packages are being released simultaneously after all.  Perhaps, the 2-CD set will come out later?

All releases - 2CD set, box and download - were going to be simultaneous, last I saw.

Wouldn't separate formats warrant separate catalogue numbers?

Some sites jumping the gun happens, but the discrepancy in dates is unsettling. Best to be conservative. A late July/August date?

Later.  Fall.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 08:15:27 PM »

I didn't read all the posts in the other thread -- but I assume Linett's interview was posted and discussed to death...
http://www.billboard.com/#/features/beach-boys-engineer-talks-about-the-smile-1005071622.story

Anyway...with all the 'Boys participating in this, as Mark mentions...I can't imagine this not taking awhile to release/approve.  Fall, definitely --  which I think is great timing.  Plus, with all of them participating, I think it really lends cred to this being the "Beach Boys" lost SMiLE album.  More so than "BWPS."  (original material, notwithstanding, obviously.)

Money Quote from article:  "Smile" is one of the most bootlegged albums of all time. What will be new for the listener?  For most of them, the whole thing will be new."

Brow

This is just too surreal.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »

There ain't no way in hell I'm paying 212 bucks for a box set.  When the choices are 1. pay 212 bucks, 2. download it for free, I think it's asking a bit of the fans to choose the 'right thing'.  I need the 212 bucks a helluva lot more than anybody in the band does, it's almost disrespectful to ask that much. 
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 09:30:09 PM »

There were never any Duophonic covers printed up, were there?  Just the mono, right?

No, wait! That Smile cover artwork on that web site advertizing the new Smile release I think may be legit!  My bootleg 12" x 12" Smile artwork has the "Duophonic Stereo" designation at the top and my Frank Holmes signed artwork also has the "Duophonic" at the top. But I suspect the web site ad probably got the artwork for its ad off of Wikipedia or something else.

Here's hoping this new release will have ALL of Frank's original artwork with it.

I don't thik there were any Mono covers printed. There are Duophonic slicks with the GV GV GV and Stereo Slicks  w/ and w/o the GV GV GV.  

But if the new release has ALL of  Frank's original artwork, what will he have left?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 09:35:49 PM »

But if the new release has ALL of  Frank's original artwork, what will he have left?

Huh?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »

If this thing does end up costing the equivalent of $150 to $200 in Europe, rest assured that it'll be available for $100-$120 in the US.

Yeah, I think you're right.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 09:45:34 PM »

Is that pretty common to spend over a hundred bucks for a box set?  I bought the pet sounds and the 40th anniversary sets used, but I always thought the price on those was more like 40-70 bucks.  Even $100 seems pretty steep to me.  I'll probably end up just buying the two disc set... unless it's like 50 bucks or whatever, lol.  Maybe I'm getting cheap in my old age. 

I'm sure it'll be a really high quality set, and they can charge whatever they want but it seems like it's gonna leave a lot of fans out in the cold. 
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 09:47:25 PM »

That's about a month and a half to raise $200 then.

-sigh-
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 10:34:34 PM »

Don't panic, Americans. Music is always MUCH cheaper in the USA than in Europe.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 12:01:35 AM »

It would appear that, at least for now, all references to the Smile Sessions have been scrubbed from EMI-Norway's website. 

anders wyller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2011, 12:27:21 AM »

Yup - I contacted EMI Norway today - they confirmed the date was wrong and that date was not official yet. Back to zero Tongue
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2011, 12:36:21 AM »

Thanks Anders, smart action.

Suspect a well-informed joker?

Did they confirm/deny the catalogue number Anders?  It' a useful Google tool, albeit potentially also misleading…

“We live in divisive times.”
anders wyller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 12:53:46 AM »

Nah, she didnt say anything about that in her email - however, she rather optimistically promised to come back asap
on correct date --- funny, though - that EMI Norway has removed all info - wonder if they received a call from overseas yesterday
after some Capitol executive had been reading the posts here --
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2011, 12:55:50 AM »

Nah, she didnt say anything about that in her email - however, she rather optimistically promised to come back asap
on correct date --- funny, though - that EMI Norway has removed all info - wonder if they received a call from overseas yesterday
after some Capitol executive had been reading the posts here
--

Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2011, 03:24:37 AM »

Just got a mail from a source at EMI...

He say's new date set to July 13! (But no official release date yet)

//RD

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2011, 03:33:50 AM »

//RD

Well, that rings true somehow -  every time there's a major release, I'm away from home.  Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2011, 03:44:51 AM »

//RD

I'd question that on the grounds that Mike & Bruce are in Europe touring on that date and I'd expect some kind of band promo.

ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2011, 04:00:23 AM »

//RD

I'd question that on the grounds that Mike & Bruce are in Europe touring on that date and I'd expect some kind of band promo.

Here's the classified marketing plan for the release of SMiLE Boxset! For the 50th Beach Boys anniversary:

EMI releases Smile Box - Brian performs Gershwin
EMI releases Smile Box - Mike & Bruce performs classic jukebox hits (make sure NOT to play Heroes and Villains)
EMI releases Smile Box - Al performs yet another version of Honkin down the highway and California Saga

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2011, 05:28:01 AM »

//RD

Here's the classified marketing plan for the release of SMiLE Boxset! For the 50th Beach Boys anniversary:

EMI releases Smile Box - Brian performs Gershwin
EMI releases Smile Box - Mike & Bruce performs classic jukebox hits (make sure NOT to play Heroes and Villains)
EMI releases Smile Box - Al performs yet another version of Honkin down the highway and California Saga

Sounds about right to me.  Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx