gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:02:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up UK pressing  (Read 15496 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »

I hear ya! Tons of copies of SU. Ever seen a Capitol Record Club version, tho? 

Crap!
I had TOTALLY forgotten about the Capitol Record Club!

Wow, I remember all those damn mailers now!
What a good memory you have!

Wouldn't that be a crap pressing though?
I thought that was before they figured out "cut outs".

I don't think it would be crap. The club didn't spend tons of money, but I don't think the quality was a lot less than regular releases, at least for the vinyl. Sometimes i think the covers got less attention. 
But really I was asking, because I've never seen a SU by the Capitol club, and I'd like to have one. I don't even know that they definitely made them, but there are club copies of Sunflower and CATP, so it would stand to reason...

SU was issued by RCA Music Service, Brother-Reprise R 113793. According to Lee Dempsey, "...the Asylum label Surf's Up was an RCA Record Club misprint."

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »

I hear ya! Tons of copies of SU. Ever seen a Capitol Record Club version, tho? 

Crap!
I had TOTALLY forgotten about the Capitol Record Club!

Wow, I remember all those damn mailers now!
What a good memory you have!

Wouldn't that be a crap pressing though?
I thought that was before they figured out "cut outs".

I don't think it would be crap. The club didn't spend tons of money, but I don't think the quality was a lot less than regular releases, at least for the vinyl. Sometimes i think the covers got less attention. 
But really I was asking, because I've never seen a SU by the Capitol club, and I'd like to have one. I don't even know that they definitely made them, but there are club copies of Sunflower and CATP, so it would stand to reason...

SU was issued by RCA Music Service, Brother-Reprise R 113793. According to Lee Dempsey, "...the Asylum label Surf's Up was an RCA Record Club misprint."

Yes, it's true. A nice one. Interesting misprint with the Asylum label, still given their prior label, I'd love to find a Capitol Club version. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 07:41:48 PM »

I would be happy just to have a U.S. stock copy of the "Surf's Up" single.

And while we're at it, anybody out there have any U.S. stock copies of "Cool, Cool Water" and "Cuddle Up" they would be willing to sell?  Yellow or mustard label will be fine.

And I still need a copy of the "Salt Lake City/Amusement Parks USA" promo 45 if anyone has one they can part with....

Thanks for reading.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 09:08:51 PM »

I would be happy just to have a U.S. stock copy of the "Surf's Up" single.

And while we're at it, anybody out there have any U.S. stock copies of "Cool, Cool Water" and "Cuddle Up" they would be willing to sell?  Yellow or mustard label will be fine.

And I still need a copy of the "Salt Lake City/Amusement Parks USA" promo 45 if anyone has one they can part with....

Thanks for reading.

Two of my top wants:  CCW/Forever and SOS/OWY on the Brown Reprise ( Steamboat) label. Heck I'd trade a copy of the BBs In Concert Promo EP ( with PS) for those two!!

Seems like the last SU single I saw on Ebay went for about $175; I couldn't believe it! 

WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 02:27:44 PM »

"Ubiquitous"? As in present everywhere? Really??

Yup. And I grew up in Northern California (Marin) when the album came out. I'm wondering if folks were getting them from record stores - when I think about it that's where I was getting a lot of my posters. Some friends also had ties with people working at KTIM back then. I can't remember now if they had been folded or not. I have to say that most of the ones I remember were in "older brother" type rooms, but I really did see them all over - which is why I was rather dismissive of the OP's post.

Now that this has been brought up I've emailed my friend who had the album and poster to see if 1) he still has it and 2) if it came with the album and 3) was it a UK pressing. I'll see if he remembers anything!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 04:37:26 PM »

"Ubiquitous"? As in present everywhere? Really??

Yup. And I grew up in Northern California (Marin) when the album came out. I'm wondering if folks were getting them from record stores - when I think about it that's where I was getting a lot of my posters. Some friends also had ties with people working at KTIM back then. I can't remember now if they had been folded or not. I have to say that most of the ones I remember were in "older brother" type rooms, but I really did see them all over - which is why I was rather dismissive of the OP's post.

Now that this has been brought up I've emailed my friend who had the album and poster to see if 1) he still has it and 2) if it came with the album and 3) was it a UK pressing. I'll see if he remembers anything!

That makes some sense; wasn't Warners offering to send a free copy of Surf's UP, if you sent in your SUrfin Safari LP?   
More advertising, by poster, would help turn the tide, methinks

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 05:38:41 PM »

And I grew up in Northern California (Marin) when the album came out. I'm wondering if folks were getting them from record stores - when I think about it that's where I was getting a lot of my posters.

I grew up in Northern California too (Contra Costa County) and went up to Sonoma County quite a bit. Remember Village Music in Mill Valley and hit ALL of the record stores often from San Francisco to Santa Rosa to Concord. Those stores and the record swap meet in Castro Valley (and L.A.) were my sources for many BB records and posters/memorabilia. Also knew a radio station DJ in Sacramento who use to set me up withgood records and promo stuff. 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 10:18:01 PM »

Smile Holland - That poster in the UK pressing of Surf's Up is a really cool find!  It did not come with the first pressing in the US.  The only other place I've ever seen that poster was on Dec. 3, 1971 at Wallichs Music City on Sunset Blvd in LA before the Long Beach Concert that evening.  There were around 4 to 6 of those promo posters (but without the New Release on Stateside stuff at the bottom) in a glass display case.  It was obvious they had been folded before Wallich's put them in the display case.  I have a photo of that display case laying around somewhere.

Bgas (what the hell does bgas stand for anyway?) - Are there really Reprise steamboat pressings of CCW/Forever and Sail On Sailor/OWY?  If so, they definitely were not west coast pressings.  The only Reprise steamboat single I've seen by the BBs is Add Some Music.  As far as the Asylum Surf's UP pressings, I first bought one of those in a close out bin at Licorice Pizza in Nov.79.  They had about 6 to 10 of 'em, so I went back and bought the rest at $2.99 each, saved one, and gave the rest to a friend who sold or traded them to fellow collectors.  At the time we thought it was simply some bizarre label mistake (which it clearly was) but didn't realize that it came from the RCA Record Club.  It would be intersting to know if any of the RCA Record Club copies of Surf's Up were printed on the correct Brother/Reprise label.  One more thing - what was on the BBIC Promo EP?  A US or foreign release?  Was there a cover?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 11:03:10 PM »

Are there really Reprise steamboat pressings of CCW/Forever and Sail On Sailor/OWY?  If so, they definitely were not west coast pressings.  The only Reprise steamboat single I've seen by the BBs is Add Some Music. 

I think you want to check out these pages:
http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Reprise.htm
http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Reprise-promo.htm

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 02:13:06 AM »

Are there really Reprise steamboat pressings of CCW/Forever and Sail On Sailor/OWY?  If so, they definitely were not west coast pressings.  The only Reprise steamboat single I've seen by the BBs is Add Some Music. 

I think you want to check out these pages:
http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Reprise.htm
http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Reprise-promo.htm

Thanks for the links.  All the BB singles I bought were purchased in California, and except for Add Some Music, they were on all on the yellow Brother/Reprise label, so I had assumed that Add Some Music had appeared on the steamboat Reprise label only because they hadn't yet designed the official yellow Brother/Reprise label.   (Which is actually a rather poor looking design from a graphic standpoint; definitely not as good looking as the regular Reprise steamboat label.)  What's really interesting is that the later singles on the Reprise steamboat label don't even have the Brother Records logo anywhere on them, which was found on Add Some Music. 

I also see that singles with both types of labels were pressed on both polystyrene and vinyl.  I seem to recall hearing that WB didn't own their own pressing plants and farmed out their work to plants owned by others.  Anyone know if that's correct?  Did some plants press both styrene and vinyl singles, or did they typically make only one kind?  And does anyone know in what part of the US the Reprise steamboat singles were available?  Could some plants have had a bunch of Reprise seamboat labels in stock, and that's why they used them?  Or did Reprise fail to tell those pressing plants (or plant, depending on how many were using the steamboat label) that there was a new label design that they should be using?

So - more questions for bgas - did any BB albums appear with the Reprise steamboat label?  Does anyone have a more thorough collection of BB related stuff than you?  I've definitely enjoyed the scans you've been posting.  And, once again, what the hell does bgas stand for?  Smiley

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 04:29:26 AM »

So - more questions for bgas - did any BB albums appear with the Reprise steamboat label? 

I'll leave it to bgas to 100% confirm it, but I'm pretty sure that from Sunflower till Holland (and the Good Vibrations Best Of The Beach Boys comp. from '75) were released with both Brother/Reprise and Reprise label.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 05:04:41 AM »

Bgas (what the hell does bgas stand for anyway?)

I also wondered if it's got something to do with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyqmZbNsu3U

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 05:57:02 AM »

Bgas (what the hell does bgas stand for anyway?)

I also wondered if it's got something to do with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyqmZbNsu3U

YEP, thats real close. Friend of mine is the drummer for The Skeletons (band from  Springfield MO) they did a J&D tribute EP( back cover  shown below) from whence I adopted the Bgas.( best I can remember) And my email adds woodie to that, from the old Woody wagons

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 06:19:45 AM »

Thanks for the links.

So - more questions for bgas - did any BB albums appear with the Reprise steamboat label?  Does anyone have a more thorough collection of BB related stuff than you?  I've definitely enjoyed the scans you've been posting.  And, once again, what the hell does bgas stand for?  Smiley

I'll leave it to bgas to 100% confirm it, but I'm pretty sure that from Sunflower till Holland (and the Good Vibrations Best Of The Beach Boys comp. from '75) were released with both Brother/Reprise and Reprise label.

here's a list I got from Frank Daniels: noted Beatles author/collector, University Professor and Pre-recorded Tape Scholar, plus, soon to be Beach Boys price Guide author( Hopefully soon) and really great guy! Thanx for being there for me, Frank :  

Sunflower    8/31/70

brown Reprise label with "subsidiary and licensee" rim print (1970-1972)
cream/tan Brother label with "subsidiary and licensee" rim print (1970-1976)
cream/tan Brother label with WB logo in rim print (1976-1978)
brown Reprise label with WB logo in rim print (1978-9)

Surf's Up   8/30/71

Carl/Passions- Pet Sounds      5/15/72

Holland      1/8/73

In Concert       11/19/73

Pet Sounds       5/13/74  

Wild Honey/ 20/20   7/15/74  

Friends/Smiley Smile     10/28/74  

Good Vibrations- Best OF BBs    MS  2223      6/23/75

15 Big Ones      7/5/76

BBs Love You     4/11/77

Good Vibrations- Best OF BBs  MSK 2280     ?/?/77

MIU       9/25/78

I believe he told me those are the variations that should be out there for each; I don't have them all, yet, if ever; tho I buy every one I can get. If you know of others, let's
 see/hear about them!!
Other Beach Boys collections as complete?  There are some; some maybe more complete, tho it seems we, as collectors, don't always have the same depth in every section of our collections. I know most of these collectors, but probably not all.
You're seeing mine, because  sharing pictures of  most of what I have is the nice thing to do. Not everyone feels the same, or wants to take the time( and there is a lot of time involved)
Nothing we can do about that, I guess. But COME ON!!!  You know who you are, cough up some pics/info...  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:10:15 AM by bgas » Logged

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2011, 12:50:46 AM »

Thanks for the list, bgas.  Can't believe I have 14 copies of the Sunflower LP and none of them have the brown Reprise label. 

I'd still like to know where those brown label Reprise 45s and LPs were pressed, as I never saw any of them (expect for Add Some Music) available as new releases in California.  Plus I'd still like to know what various pressing plants Warner/Reprise used, if that info is available anywhere.  And the polystyrene vs vinyl 45 rpm releases as they relate to the various pressing plants and label variations would be interesting to know, if there is anyone who has a clue as to the origin of those variations.  But what fascinates me most is that the Beach Boys thought they had their own record label, Brother Records distributed by Reprise Records, but with the exception of the Add Some Music single, any of their Brother/Reprise stuff appearing on a brown Reprise label did not have the Brother Records logo anywhere on it.

Glad to hear that Perry Cox and Frank Daniels BB Price Guide will hopefully be out soon.  You might want to advise them that Sunflower was actually released on Aug. 21, 1970, as explained in my letter published in the current issue of ESQ (issue 91, pages 2 and 3).  The Aug. 31 date was just a guess by Brad Elliot.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2011, 06:43:06 AM »

Thanks for the list, bgas.  Can't believe I have 14 copies of the Sunflower LP and none of them have the brown Reprise label. 

I'd still like to know where those brown label Reprise 45s and LPs were pressed, as I never saw any of them (expect for Add Some Music) available as new releases in California.  Plus I'd still like to know what various pressing plants Warner/Reprise used, if that info is available anywhere.  And the polystyrene vs vinyl 45 rpm releases as they relate to the various pressing plants and label variations would be interesting to know, if there is anyone who has a clue as to the origin of those variations.  But what fascinates me most is that the Beach Boys thought they had their own record label, Brother Records distributed by Reprise Records, but with the exception of the Add Some Music single, any of their Brother/Reprise stuff appearing on a brown Reprise label did not have the Brother Records logo anywhere on it.

Glad to hear that Perry Cox and Frank Daniels BB Price Guide will hopefully be out soon.  You might want to advise them that Sunflower was actually released on Aug. 21, 1970, as explained in my letter published in the current issue of ESQ (issue 91, pages 2 and 3).  The Aug. 31 date was just a guess by Brad Elliot.

It would indeed be nice if someone has insider information as to the WB pressings. I asked a friend who works there if there was any way to access any of this information; he told me all of the old paperwork files are stored in Mexico( and it's unlikely they're going to pay anyone to sort thru them) 

As far as info for the guide,I'll forward this on to Frank. 

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx