gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 10:15:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up UK pressing  (Read 15504 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:06:39 AM »

Small question for the Brits amongst us.

I had a fun day at the Record fair in Utrecht yesterday. And this is one of items I bought there. A UK-pressing of Surf's Up.
We all know the album, and that there's an inlay with lyrics. But it also contained this poster. The seller mentioned that this was only added with the first few hundred copies, as a promotional item. Does anyone know more about this?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:44:42 AM »

I believe that. There were "Surf's UP" promo posters printed for the album. My EMI copy from the 70's didn't included the poster though. I assume you're correct and it originates from the UK?

My Surf's Up poster is 22" x 33" (without the folds and white print at the lower right) and it's now framed behind glass. It was given to me in the early '70's by an employee of The Beach Boys at their N. Ivar offices in Hollywood. One of my most prized possessions.

How large is your poster?  What does it say in the lower right?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 11:39:12 AM »

Just scanned it for you.

If you can't read it from the board, just save the picture and zoom in on it.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 07:27:22 PM »

I believe that. There were "Surf's UP" promo posters printed for the album. My EMI copy from the 70's didn't included the poster though. I assume you're correct and it originates from the UK?

My Surf's Up poster is 22" x 33" (without the folds and white print at the lower right) and it's now framed behind glass. It was given to me in the early '70's by an employee of The Beach Boys at their N. Ivar offices in Hollywood. One of my most prized possessions.

How large is your poster?  What does it say in the lower right?

Yes Indeed! Nice poster. My UK SU didn't even arrive with the lyrics sheet, much less the poster; can I have the next poster you find? 
My SU poster wasn't given to me by by an employee of The Beach Boys at their N. Ivar offices in Hollywood. I had to search high and low, and only ended up with a folded copy( I think)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 11:21:06 PM »

O, and I forgot to measure it: 55,7 - 85,8 cm's. > which would be 21,9 - 33,8 inches. Same size as your poster I think?
And it's definitely a UK pressing, poster as well (but I guess you drew that conclusion when reading the info on the lower right part of the poster)

Yes Indeed! Nice poster. My UK SU didn't even arrive with the lyrics sheet, much less the poster; can I have the next poster you find? 
My SU poster wasn't given to me by by an employee of The Beach Boys at their N. Ivar offices in Hollywood. I had to search high and low, and only ended up with a folded copy( I think)

The seller told me (after we agreed on the prize, which wasn't too low btw) that if it was any comfort to me, that he was 100% sure that he would never find another copy with a poster in his life again...

But if I ever find another copy, I'll think of you, bgas.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:41:35 AM »

my, my, that is one beauty ! Congrats on your find S-H !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 10:33:21 AM »

My god, I want one!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:23:16 AM »

I am jealous. Not only was Surf's Up the album that got me into the BBs but it also has a fantastic cover! (Made buying it on vinyl a real easy decision too.) I'd love to get a hold of it in poster form...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 08:58:43 AM »

I am jealous. Not only was Surf's Up the album that got me into the BBs but it also has a fantastic cover! (Made buying it on vinyl a real easy decision too.) I'd love to get a hold of it in poster form...

I always wondered why the indian on the cover looks like the devil (at least to me). The hair (?) looks like horns..... In fact when I first saw the cover I thought it showed the devil. I didn't know about the picture they used for it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 10:32:30 AM »

I always wondered why the indian on the cover looks like the devil (at least to me). The hair (?) looks like horns..... In fact when I first saw the cover I thought it showed the devil. I didn't know about the picture they used for it

The devil you say!

WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »

Try here!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Beach-Boys-Surfs-Up-71-vinyl-lp-orig-w-poster-nm-/290509035172?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item43a3b016a4

I thought they ALL had posters...
I guess most wound up on walls and getting messed up and never made it back to the sleeves.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:50:41 PM by WaxOn » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 04:02:20 PM »

I could be wrong here, but..............

Reprise/Brother rs6453. Looks like a U.S. issue to me. It's being pawned off by a seller out of L.A. They're a dime-a-dozen and $29.00 seems WAY too high based on its condition and I don't see any evidence of a poster here. The U.S. issues came with a lyric sheet, which was a separate 11" x 11" insert included in the record sleeve. To the best of my knowledge, U.S. issues didn't come with a Surf's Up poster. Possibly in the first run, but I seriously doubt it. I've seen a LOT of used Surf's Up albums over the years pressed by Warners U.S. and EMI UK and the one found by Smile-Holland is the first I've ever seen that includes a Surf's Up poster. If you're interested in this, you'd better have this guy send you a picture of the Surf's Up poster before bidding!  Believe it when you see it!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:12:30 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 04:36:51 PM »

I think you're right - on closer inspection (well any inspection actually) it's definitely a reprise, he might be calling the "dry mud" insert a poster?
I didn't buy the disk when it came out - but a friend did and it did have a poster. But since we were all audiophiles I bet it's a UK pressing.

Maybe he'll sell it to me - it's just sitting in storage!  Razz
So, were there posters in any of the U.S. brother/reprise - or was it only stateside/emi? Oddly though, I remember the poster on a LOT of walls back then.  To say it was ubiquitous is an understatement. I find it hard to believe everybody had UK stateside/EMI pressings. Huh Was it not in any brother/reprise pressings?

Anyway you're right, when buying on ebay always ask or don't buy!

I have the 180g vinyl and the last thing I need is something else to hang on the wall, so no interest  Roll Eyes here!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:01:15 PM by WaxOn » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 04:54:33 PM »

I could be wrong here, but..............

Reprise/Brother rs6453. Looks like a U.S. issue to me. It's being pawned off by a seller out of L.A. They're a dime-a-dozen and $29.00 seems WAY too high based on its condition and I don't see any evidence of a poster here. The U.S. issues came with a lyric sheet, which was a separate 11" x 11" insert included in the record sleeve. To the best of my knowledge, U.S. issues didn't come with a Surf's Up poster. Possibly in the first run, but I seriously doubt it. I've seen a LOT of used Surf's Up albums over the years pressed by Warners U.S. and EMI UK and the one found by Smile-Holland is the first I've ever seen that includes a Surf's Up poster. If you're interested in this, you'd better have this guy send you a picture of the Surf's Up poster before bidding!  Believe it when you see it!

I hear ya! Tons of copies of SU. Ever seen a Capitol Record Club version, tho? 

WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »

Crap!
I had TOTALLY forgotten about the Capitol Record Club!

Wow, I remember all those damn mailers now!
What a good memory you have!

Wouldn't that be a crap pressing though?
I thought that was before they figured out "cut outs".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »

So, were there posters in any of the U.S. brother/reprise - or was it only stateside/emi? Oddly though, I remember the poster on a LOT of walls back then.  To say it was  is an understatement.

"Ubiquitous"? As in present everywhere? Really??

I've only seen five or six Surf's Up posters in my lifetime, and I've been collecting Beach Boys since the early 70's. In addition to mine, my friend has one (he was given one the same day as me) one was on the wall at a record store in Northern California, one for sale at the Capitol Records swap meet in L.A., I saw one on Ebay for auction (it went for big $) and now Smile-Holland's. And I think I read that another collector (maybe two) on this board have one too.

But I don't remember seeing them for sale or trade anywhere - maybe I'm forgetting a Goldmine or Discoveries ad for one way back when.  I think they're pretty rare, and other than a few being distributed as a Warners promo item for record stores in the early 70's, I don't think they were that "ubiquitous". I never knew before that they were available in the EMI albums released in the UK. Anybody else ever seen a Surf's Up poster come with a Surf's Up album?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »

So, were there posters in any of the U.S. brother/reprise - or was it only stateside/emi? Oddly though, I remember the poster on a LOT of walls back then.  To say it was  is an understatement.

"Ubiquitous"? As in present everywhere? Really??

I've only seen five or six Surf's Up posters in my lifetime, and I've been collecting Beach Boys since the early 70's. In addition to mine, my friend has one (he was given one the same day as me) one was on the wall at a record store in Northern California, one for sale at the Capitol Records swap meet in L.A., I saw one on Ebay for auction (it went for big $) and now Smile-Holland's. And I think I read that another collector (maybe two) on this board have one too.

But I don't remember seeing them for sale or trade anywhere - maybe I'm forgetting a Goldmine or Discoveries ad for one way back when.  I think they're pretty rare, and other than a few being distributed as a Warners promo item for record stores in the early 70's, I don't think they were that "ubiquitous". I never knew before that they were available in the EMI albums released in the UK. Anybody else ever seen a Surf's Up poster come with a Surf's Up album?

I think there are probably more copies of the promo poster out there than you think ( I'll look to see what I have, in a bit);
 in answer to the other part, No, I can't remember ever seeing SU come with a poster of the cover. None of mine did
Tho I see lots of Ebay sellers call the cracked-mud shot/lyrics sheet a poster. They do that all the time; and in a "way", they're right. It's little different from those included in other LPs, or those "Fold-out" posters in the center of magazines

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 07:02:10 PM »

Really is one of the BB's most striking covers... Makes me mourn the loss of vinyl in the main stream.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »

I checked and could only find one folded copy in my collection, Dang it! 
Sure would be nice to have a  never folded copy. ( when are you going out for the night Mikie?) 
Oh and what's your address?    Cheesy

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 08:49:46 PM »

Crap!
I had TOTALLY forgotten about the Capitol Record Club!

Wow, I remember all those damn mailers now!
What a good memory you have!

Wouldn't that be a crap pressing though?
I thought that was before they figured out "cut outs".

I don't think it would be crap. The club didn't spend tons of money, but I don't think the quality was a lot less than regular releases, at least for the vinyl. Sometimes i think the covers got less attention. 
But really I was asking, because I've never seen a SU by the Capitol club, and I'd like to have one. I don't even know that they definitely made them, but there are club copies of Sunflower and CATP, so it would stand to reason...

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 09:39:36 PM »

I just remembered that I saw a Surf's Up poster for sale at Rockaway Records in L.A. about 20 years ago. Forgot how much they wanted for it.

I'm sure there were quite a few Surf's Up posters printed up and distributed.  I just haven't seen or heard of too many around. Same with the black and white Warner/Reprise promo poster of the group circa 1971 - an enlargement of the picture Desper took in Brian's back yard during the Surf's Up sessions.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:01:20 PM by Mikie » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 07:15:42 AM »

I just remembered that I saw a Surf's Up poster for sale at Rockaway Records in L.A. about 20 years ago. Forgot how much they wanted for it.

I'm sure there were quite a few Surf's Up posters printed up and distributed.  I just haven't seen or heard of two many around. Same with the black and white Warner/Reprise promo poster of the group circa 1971 - an enlargement of the picture Desper took in Brian's back yard during the Surf's Up sessions.

I haven't seen any SU posters advertised in recent times.
There is a copy of the Paperboard 71 group for $75 -100 I saw on Ebay recently. That shot was also used for some concert posters; I'll see if I can take a picture of mine and post it. 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 01:26:13 PM »

No, only Warner/Reprise white-labeled promo copies.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 04:10:20 PM »

No, only Warner/Reprise white-labeled promo copies.

Well DARN IT!!!!!!!    I'd sure like to find the Capitol Club version.  

Here's a shot of the In Concert Poster with the Desper Photo, I was talking about. The poster measures 19 X 25 inches, and has pinholes in the corners and a couple of creases across the pic, unfortunately.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:12:03 PM by bgas » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 04:27:39 PM »

Mine doesn't have the "In Concert - Beach Boys" or the white borders. Only the picture (with no borders) and "The Beach Boys" and WB/Reprise logo printed in the lower right corner.  Fiberboard backing, framed behind glass.

Right above Al's hand on his shirt was "U.S. Army" that was airbrushed out. How do I know? My friend also has one and noticed one day under a bright light that it was coming through.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx