gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:02:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Brian's Singing Sounds Like Brian  (Read 10054 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »

Gotta Agree on "I Loves you Porgy" too, although it doesn't have that sweet vibe he did when he was younger, you can tell that he's really putting his soul into that song.  Absolutely love that he straight up covered it too instead of swapping the sex of the lyric. 
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2012, 08:47:09 PM »

verses for TWGMTR  Grin
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »

I swear, and somebody else tell me if this happens to them, there are moments when Brian hits a certain youthful sounding note that I swear I can hear him saying "Thank you for the french fries, Mar!" 

I don't know why that particular line is what I always remember.  Crazy.  That's my example of young Brian. 
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2012, 08:54:21 PM »

YES HELL YES Sheriff Stone on "Colors of the Wind".  Somebody should whisper in his good ear that he's never sounded better than that, if he would embrace that style and do some more songs like that I would be in Heaven.  No pun intended.  

His singing on the Disney album is a little all over the place to my ears. Generally very good, but "Just Can't Wait to Be King" he sounds almost out of breath, never quite finishing the last syllable of each line. Same on "Bare Necessities". But on other tracks like "Baby Mine" or "Stay Awake", he really sounds into it. On Gershwin you heard him doing something he doesn't do very often anymore: sustain notes consistently. All throughout Gershwin you hear honest-to-goodness vibrato at the ends of phrases, which means he's continuing to support his breathing even after he's hit all the notes required for the melody. You think of how long he holds "Porgyyyyyyy, do-won't let him take meeeeeee" without pausing for breath, then compare it to "workin' on my ruh" in "Just Can't Wait to Be King", it's just a different type of singing. I know, the style of the songs is different, but it feels like in the ballads on Disney he paid more attention to sustaining that way, and on basically the entirety of Gershwin as well.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 08:57:29 PM »

Yes, that's been one of the big flaws in his singing for years.  He drops notes!  I think like others have said, it depends on how into the song he is.  He's often said "I loves you Porgy" was one of his favorite songs, so hell he sings it in fine form.  I agree with you about him sounding out of breath on Just can't wait to be king.  I liked "Bare Necessities", but he didn't really have to sing well on it for it to be good. 

Not to start a flame, but I always assumed on the notes that he held out well, and sustained properly, that maybe they had been touched up in the studio?  You're right about Porgy, very complicated to sing properly, which he did, so either he just had a really good day or they were able to string the notes out a little longer to where they should have been. 
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 09:00:15 PM »

i think Brian has had trouble with breathing while singing since the 80s.  His voice on BW88 till the mid 90s sounds constricted/air-less because I'm fairly certain he's keeping his airway closed.  Doesn't make for a pleasant sound.  Then now, i think he just can't hold his breath like he used to, but at least he's singing nice.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 09:02:41 PM »

A lot has been said about Brian consorting with Vocal coaches for years now, I think the money has been well spent because to these ears, he sounds much much better, sometimes he sounds better with each passing year.  He sounds well past "BWPS" in my opinion, and I remember at the time thinking he sounded fantastic when that came out. 
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 09:12:10 PM »

I think it'd be more obvious if they were stretching his vocals to make the notes longer. I've used that technique from time to time when recording vocalists who needed a quick breath before finishing a phrase, and it's usually pretty obvious if you're listening for it and it's used over and over again on a vocal track. I think in the case of Gershwin, it meant enough to him that he was probably adamant on doing it right, and the vocals reflect that. The way the arrangements are done on that record and the placement of his voice, most of the time it's so prominent that it'd be very obvious indeed if a lot of electronic trickery were saving the day. Heck, half the time he didn't even double-track, as far as I can tell. The most that's on his vocals is maybe a little pitch correction where needed and some reverb, I think.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2012, 09:15:14 PM »

So be it then, I was just leaving that possibility open.  Personally I think he just does several takes, and punches in or whatever like most folks do these days. 

Lets face it, the guy was a really, really good singer in his 20's, it's not too big of a stretch to think he's still pretty damn good Smiley 
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »

If anything, and maybe this is going out on a limb, in some cases he might be better now. He doesn't have the range or maybe the dexterity that he used to. But I feel like when listening to the 2004 SMiLE, for instance, that there's so much going on behind the lyrics because of the life he's led since 1966, that the vocals are just, I don't know, informed by those experiences. It's not as sweet a sound, of course, and really the falsetto hasn't been the same since the 80s, even when he did still have most of the range. He sounded more like Frankie Valli in the 80s. Even in the late 70s, "She's Got Rhythm" sounds so harsh up there, like if you took "guts" from the last chorus of "Catch a Wave" and then looped it for an entire song. But what he does now just has more grit to it, when he does it right. Makes him a bit more of a badass. It's the voice of a survivor, somehow.

Oh, and on another note, one of the things that makes him still sound like Brian is that he's never stopped scooping up to his notes. When he was young, he would never ever land directly on a note. He'd start maybe half a step down and would slide up to the note he was looking for. It somehow made the high notes seem even higher, like he needed to reeeeeeeach for them. It's a technically wrong way of singing, but it's so so effective for him. You listen to Vince Gill sing "domino" and it's just not quite as effective, because he seems to just pluck the note out of nowhere with ease. Brian always sounded like he was striving to get those notes, which made them more interesting. He still does that. The 2004 "Surf's Up" on "adieu or die", each time he goes up a step, he scoops up to it. It's a true trademark of his singing for me, and it's one of the reasons that Jeff never quite sounds like him when doing the high parts. He lands on the notes rather than scooping up to them.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »

Yes, the character adds a ton to his voice.  One of the best examples in my opinion is the backing vocals to "Midnights Another Day".  He has an entire room full of gifted singers who can sing, anything, perfectly.  Brian's voice sticks out like a sore thumb the entire time, though, because his is the only one with any character in it.  It's like taking a big bowl full of scoops of Vanilla Ice Cream, and Brian's the chocolate syrup dripping off all of it. 

He's got to be one of the most interesting singers ever, just because of all the different vocal styles he's had over the years! 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2012, 10:30:42 PM »

The version of IJWMFTT at the first Chicago show, current BB tour. Not only does he sound supremely confident singing it, he sounds almost cocky (in a good way).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2012, 10:34:14 PM »

Billy, you think maybe that's Brian's passive agressive side sneaking out?  The lyrics could be seen as a slam at his band mates ya know. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2012, 10:40:50 PM »

Nah.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2012, 04:48:18 AM »

Billy, you think maybe that's Brian's passive agressive side sneaking out?  The lyrics could be seen as a slam at his band mates ya know. 

Nah... He's singing about Loren Daro.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2012, 04:57:59 AM »

Can i make a thread named "When Jeff's Singing Sounds Like Carl"

It really is scary how similar it gets, like, in the Daybreak Over The Ocean verses...
well, i suppose it's him, right?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2012, 05:15:12 AM »

Can i make a thread named "When Jeff's Singing Sounds Like Carl"

It really is scary how similar it gets, like, in the Daybreak Over The Ocean verses...
well, i suppose it's him, right?

That's Christian Love. Why he and Matt Jardine weren't on the album, I'll never know.

Jeff sounds almost nothing like Carl, to me. I occasionally hear what sounds like an attempt at an imitation, but it still doesn't sound anything like 'im. imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2012, 05:17:01 AM »

Thank you, i'm still not very familiar to Christian Love's voice so i guess i just thought it would be Jeff since he's always used for everything.

No, yeah you're right Jeff is more like early Brian sounding, well he tries.

But jeez then Christian Love REALLY sounds like Carl on those parts, it freaks me out man.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2012, 05:20:50 AM »

Thank you, i'm still not very familiar to Christian Love's voice so i guess i just thought it would be Jeff since he's always used for everything.

No, yeah you're right Jeff is more like early Brian sounding, well he tries.

But jeez then Christian Love REALLY sounds like Carl on those parts, it freaks me out man.

Don't agree @ Jeff sounding anything like any incarnation of Brian either, but hay, we all hear shtuff differently.

And yeah, lots of people have made the comparison of Christian to Carl before. Kinda makes sense given they're blood relatives. Again, I really would have liked to have heard he and Matt Jardine on these songs. Ah well, maybe next time, although I'm not holding my breath.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2012, 05:26:25 AM »

Yeah i feel bad for Matt Jardine, he only got his chance during the worst era of the band, tho he did a great job.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2012, 07:21:10 AM »

Christian sounds very very like Carl. Jeff really doesn't sound like a Beach Boy at all. I don't object to him being there, because he's one of the few links between Brian's band and the Beach Boys. And he can hit the notes. But he doesn't sound like them, IMO
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2012, 07:22:06 AM »

I meant 'cocky', not 'clocky'.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx