gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:36:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: All Dressed Up for School, Marcella, I Just Got My Pay  (Read 5221 times)
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2006, 12:00:58 PM »

Which one of these do you all prefer? I like Marcella the best, but All Dressed Up For School comes in a close second. I Just Got My Pay is a combination of both, melody wise. All Dressed Up is classic Beach Boys which is why it almost ranks higher than Marcella, but Marcella is one of their best rockers, espeically in concert. So what do you all think? -OMP

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 12:11:28 PM »

"All Dressed Up For School" is kind of the first "Daddy Should Have Stayed In High School" moment for the boys, isn't it? The lusting in this song ("What a turn-on!") is heavier than anything else from this period; even though the boys are in their early 20s, it's a little uncomfortable hearing them salivate over the school girls. Way more acceptable than when they hit their mid-30s with "Hey, Little Tomboy", though. I agree totally with OMP as far as the quality: "Marcella" is tops, but ADUFS is close.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 12:28:29 PM »

I've never been at all uncomfortable with them singing about that age group ("New Girls In School"/"Gonne Hustle You", "Surfers Rule" "Be True To Your School", "In The Parking Lot", etc.) when they were fairly close to that age.  Heck, Carl was probably still high school age in 1964.

I love "All Dressed Up For School", and "Marcella" is right behind it.  "I Just Got My Pay" is a terrific outtake but doesn't sound quite as polished or crisp as the other two.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 12:31:27 PM »

Would "All Dressed Up For School" been on "Today!" ??

Marcella ROCKS live.. especially with Brian and the Wondermints.

I don't remember much of "I Just Got My Pay." 
I'll have to spin it again.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 12:41:39 PM »

And incidentally, is anything they ever did any randier than the end of "Pom Pom Playgirls"?

I think the vice squad should have picked Dennis up for questioning as soon as that one was in the can.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 12:42:50 PM »

For me it goes:
All Dressed Up for School
I Just Got My Pay
Marcella

Watch out for snakes!
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 02:05:30 PM »

Yeah, I love them all, but have to admit that I get grossed out everytime Mike talks about him taking his clothes off and hoping in bed in, "I Just Got My Pay".   I mean, yes, its not gross within itself, but I just don't care to hear him sing about it!!! 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 02:16:45 PM »

And incidentally, is anything they ever did any randier than the end of "Pom Pom Playgirls"?

I think the vice squad should have picked Dennis up for questioning as soon as that one was in the can.

Wasn't that Carl at the end of PPPG ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 02:33:52 PM »

Man, if that's Carl saying "...shake it, baby...shake it alllllll around..." it's gonna change my image of him.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 03:42:30 PM »

Man, if that's Carl saying "...shake it, baby...shake it alllllll around..." it's gonna change my image of him.
Pretty sure it's Carl.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 01:57:10 PM »

"Wow!" -- Carl Wilson

Yep, that's him, and he must've been 16-17 at the time.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 02:02:27 PM »

O.K., add Carl to the growing list of Beach Boys who wouldn't have been asked to babysit if I had kids.

"...shake it, baby...shake it alllllll around..."

They should have added the sound of her father loading a shotgun.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 07:48:19 PM »

Marcella rules...I just got my pay...a 2nd  place finish...all dressed up for school is back there, but I love it..

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 09:49:47 PM »

"Marcella" is a much better production than song.  It's a good song, but it's one of the best performances and productions they gave us in the seventies- just a great sound in every way.  I wish they'd sounded like that pretty much all the time.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 01:53:24 PM »

I don't think All Dressed Up For School is that bad.. they were still pretty young.

Did Carl finish high school? I can't imagine that touring and stuff would've been especially kind to his schedule.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 02:25:39 PM »

I think he and Dennis and the Honeys left Hawthorne and finished at the Hollywood Professional School or someplace like that.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx