gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:57:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New "Don't Fight The Sea"/"Friends" (A Capella) collectible vinyl  (Read 11241 times)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 10:05:01 AM »

There goes Al, spouting off again about this SMiLE thing!  What kind of trouble is he going to get in this time?
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »

Eegad. I just listened to DFTS on YouTube.
I hope to hell that they remix it and ditch all that shitty synthesizer nonsense that rings throughout. Bleeeech.

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »

Maybe you should post the links before you publish the articles; that way AGD won't be able to scoop you!

S'OK, it was pretty much ignored anyway.  Grin

Getting the word out about the Boys is a business that we all share. AGD can scoop me on my own article any time he wants.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 04:17:40 PM »

From the article:
A side: “Don't Fight The Sea” by Al Jardine, Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Bruce Johnston and Carl Wilson
B side: “Friends (A Cappella)” by The Beach Boys; previously unreleased from 1968 [exclusive to this release]

So, is "A side" not going to be by "The Beach Boys" like "B side" does, or will it be listed as individuals as stated above?

Individual names on the A-side, group name on the B-side…like it says
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »

I've never heared Friends acapella, that should be awesome.  I wonder how you get your hands on an autographed one? 

I would say it would be in the "EMI Family 4 Japan" auction on Ebay/UK( http://members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=emifamily4japan )
but at the pace the Beach Boys historically are known for, we'll be lucky to see this record before Christmas.

EMI is posting these is segments. Here is a more thorough list: http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/artists-and-songwriters-from-the-emi-family-unite-for-japan … Pet Sounds is in there.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »

There goes Al, spouting off again about this SMiLE thing!  What kind of trouble is he going to get in this time?

LOL! None at all! It's common knowledge that SMiLE's being released. Check out EMI's official press release: http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/official-smile-announcement-from-capitol-emi-records
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »

From the article:
A side: “Don't Fight The Sea” by Al Jardine, Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Bruce Johnston and Carl Wilson
B side: “Friends (A Cappella)” by The Beach Boys; previously unreleased from 1968 [exclusive to this release]

So, is "A side" not going to be by "The Beach Boys" like "B side" does, or will it be listed as individuals as stated above?

Why is side A individual? I know Al released this under his name, but why not The Beach Boys? Caroline No was released under two different names? Makes me wonder about all that togetherness they have been espousing lately.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 07:42:22 PM »

LOL! None at all! It's common knowledge that SMiLE's being released. Check out EMI's official press release: http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/official-smile-announcement-from-capitol-emi-records

I know!  Sorry, I should have put a smiley after my comment!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 09:21:04 AM »

From the article:

Why is side A individual? I know Al released this under his name, but why not The Beach Boys? Caroline No was released under two different names? Makes me wonder about all that togetherness they have been espousing lately.

I suspect it is purely contractual - It was released under Al's name intially, which may have something to do with it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 10:43:31 AM »

From the article:

I suspect it is purely contractual - It was released under Al's name intially, which may have something to do with it.

Exactly… again, read the article.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:20:45 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 01:45:51 PM »

I read the article. Then I re-read it. and just to be sure, I read it again.  ( and just to be certrain, I read it a few more times while I was typing this)
The article does nothing to explain why the A-side is being released under individual names, and NOT the BBs.
Is not the sum of the individual members equal to " The Beach Boys" ? 
If not, perhaps they need to go back and amend all product released since the passing of Dennis  so that the credits read "Al Jardine, Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, and  Carl Wilson" instead of "The Beach Boys".

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 01:52:43 PM »

I'm relieved that you didn't find an answer there either. I reread it too and found no explanation at all.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 09:00:17 PM »

I've never heared Friends acapella, that should be awesome.  

A teaser for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tilogc9K2Ag
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 07:56:47 PM »

I read the article. Then I re-read it. and just to be sure, I read it again.  ( and just to be certrain, I read it a few more times while I was typing this)
The article does nothing to explain why the A-side is being released under individual names, and NOT the BBs.
If not, perhaps they need to go back and amend all product released since the passing of Dennis  so that the credits read "Al Jardine, Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, and  Carl Wilson" instead of "The Beach Boys".

Yes it does…at the bottom where it accurately lists the A&B sides.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »

I read the article. Then I re-read it. and just to be sure, I read it again.  ( and just to be certrain, I read it a few more times while I was typing this)
If not, perhaps they need to go back and amend all product released since the passing of Dennis  so that the credits read "Al Jardine, Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, and  Carl Wilson" instead of "The Beach Boys".

Yes it does…at the bottom where it accurately lists the A&B sides.

Yes it does what?  List the individual names?  we're not arguing that! 
The point is: NOTHING in your article explains why the credit is given to the artists as individuals, instead of it crediting "The Beach Boys" ( I feel like I'm talking to a wall here)
Why haven't they released all of their product since, say 1984, as "Al Jardine, Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, and  Carl Wilson" instead of "The Beach Boys".
Only because they had the name the BBs and that's what sells?  Why not use it now? Why bother listing them all?
Because Brian "quit" the BBs and doesn't want to be one now? That wouldn't bode well for "friends"

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2011, 02:47:40 PM »

I think the BB's only exist as a licensed touring act at this point. As recording artists I suspect that is a whole other ball game.

As a pure courtesy, for Al to ask Mike, Brian etc to guest then to title it 'The Beach Boys' would be just poor taste. Would it have to get the ok from BRI first? I suspect so.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »

Why poor taste? How many B sides are The Beach Boys on some other performer's records?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2011, 05:33:57 PM »

I think the BB's only exist as a licensed touring act at this point. As recording artists I suspect that is a whole other ball game.

As a pure courtesy, for Al to ask Mike, Brian etc to guest then to title it 'The Beach Boys' would be just poor taste. Would it have to get the ok from BRI first? I suspect so.

Exactly.  Mike Love licenses the Beach boys name and pays for the privilege, and Al and Brian are not part of that "Beach Boys."  The label could read "The Beach Boys with special guests Brian Wilson and Al Jardine!"
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »

Well if Al asked Brian to guest on his song first then added others later, who is to say Brian would have done it in the first place? For Al to have the right after the recording to say 'well I have the guys on tape so its the Beach Boys!' is silly IMO. If it ain't BRI approved it ain't the Beach Boys.  

Also Brians recording contracts may stipulate he is a solo artist, not part of a group.

The Beach Boys exist in one form only today. A licensed touring act. That is why no album has been released by Mike and Bruce as 'The Beach Boys'. The Nascar album of the late 90s was quite clear. 'of The Beach Boys'.

Original members of 'Yes' had a problem also. Rather than risk upsetting the current touring group they went by their own names and played 'Yes' songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Bruford_Wakeman_Howe

Al is not going to risk having the lawyers dump on him for one song.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:12:28 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »

So, if they decide to record an album this year it will be credited to The Beach Boys (with special guests Brian Wilson and Al Jardine). I don't think so. BRI is Mike, Brian and Al, so they could easily approve using The Beach Boys name if they wanted to. Mike & Bruce cannot record under the name, but the four of them can, if agreed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:52:43 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2011, 06:58:33 PM »

Carls family have voting rights. All this is speculation really as we don't know what defines 'The Beach Boys' as a recording group, only those privy to BRI workings do I guess. Roll Eyes

If nothing is laid down in a old contract to say otherwise, I guess if Brian, Mike, Al and the estate of Carl vote to call it a Beach Boys album, so be it. Who knows if it has to be unanimous.

All speculation but I would think when the band did SIP, Brian and Landy were pleased as it seperated Brian from the group at a time he was trying to become a solo artist. Would the estate of Carl be as happy? His voice was on every album the band did. If a few old tracks with his voice were available would his family want them included? When all said and done, if they were unwanted when recorded, what makes them good enough today?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:54:10 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2011, 07:02:50 AM »

The whole point to this is, is that all the Boys are on the recording, except Dennis and I just wanted to know if anybody officially knew why it was labeled the way it is. There must be a reason why. It amazes me that when these guys are interviewed that obvious questions like this aren't asked. I find it odd that the same guys are on both songs, on the same vinyl. yet can't use the same name. Just saying....

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2011, 09:40:33 AM »

I doubt the labeling has anything to do with being able to use the BB name or not, but rather because the track appeared on Al's solo album and is, officially speaking, an Al Jardine solo track. And since he's still actively promoting his album, I imagine he would want it that way. So this becomes a little bit of a cross promotional tool, promoting both the BB AND "A Postcard from California". Actually, I'd have been more shocked if the label HAD credited the song to the boys.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2011, 09:50:11 AM »

Like I stated earlier, I was thinking along the lines of Caroline, No. The 45 label credits Brian Wilson, while the LP label credits The Beach Boys. Jardine does not have a record label, so releasing this on Capitol as The Beach Boys wouldn't be much of an issue, plus this was originally a Beach Boys work back in the late 70's and early 80's.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:55:46 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2011, 09:56:41 AM »

I doubt the labeling has anything to do with being able to use the BB name or not, but rather because the track appeared on Al's solo album and is, officially speaking, an Al Jardine solo track. And since he's still actively promoting his album, I imagine he would want it that way. So this becomes a little bit of a cross promotional tool, promoting both the BB AND "A Postcard from California". Actually, I'd have been more shocked if the label HAD credited the song to the boys.

Sure, see your point; I just think as it's touted as having all of them on there, along with there's no less participation than you'd find on many vintage BBs released tracks, it should be released as by the BBs

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx