gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681026 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 07:19:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Smile press release--sort of, maybe  (Read 2594 times)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2011, 06:37:39 PM »

http://www.genesis-publications.com/News/LostSMiLESessions0704

I don't know what Genesis Publications is, or what their stake in this is, but it sounds like they're using language from a press release.  I don't think we've heard this before.

The slightly interesting information is that the box set is said to be "a wealth of previously unheard alternate takes, song fragments and studio banter recovered from over 70 original tape reels recorded in 1966-67."

Here's the full text:

Brian Wilson returns to his legendary masterpiece later this year as Capitol/EMI release The SMiLE Sessions. A CD box set showcasing the creation of SMiLE from the inside through a wealth of previously unheard alternate takes, song fragments and studio banter recovered from over 70 original tape reels recorded in 1966-67.

Wilson's plan in 1966 was to produce an album where the music was linked thematically throughout but due to a stream of problems, the project was shelved until its resurrection and first live performance by Wilson in 2004.

'I'm thrilled that The Beach Boys' original studio sessions for SMiLE will be released for the first time, after all these years. I'm looking forward to this collection of the original recordings and having fans hear the beautiful angelic voices of the boys in a proper studio release.' Brian Wilson
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:57:57 PM »

They're the people who make those really REALLY expensive music CD book box sets right?

Gulp.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 07:51:23 PM »

They are paraphrasing, and actually don't have nay idea about will or won't be on the box.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:36:49 PM »

Looks like they just cribbed a few bits of Capitol's press release in order to find their way into Google news search results... and sell a few copies of their $1,500 Lucky Old Sun book to Beach Boys fans.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 12:58:15 AM »

Looks like they just cribbed a few bits of Capitol's press release in order to find their way into Google news search results... and sell a few copies of their $1,500 Lucky Old Sun book to Beach Boys fans.

I think you are spot on. Furthermore, the photo 'montage' that comes with the announcement is prolly the worst I have ever seen. Have our heroes been beheaded? And why are their heads floating freely in the sky? Now, really...  Huh

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 01:26:37 AM »

I think you are spot on. Furthermore, the photo 'montage' that comes with the announcement is prolly the worst I have ever seen. Have our heroes been beheaded? And why are their heads floating freely in the sky? Now, really...  Huh

That photo 'montage' is one of the 12 limited edition fine art prints that Sir Peter Blake created especially for the Genesis edition of TLOS. Next time I see him I'll pass your comment on...  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 01:38:36 AM »

I think you are spot on. Furthermore, the photo 'montage' that comes with the announcement is prolly the worst I have ever seen. Have our heroes been beheaded? And why are their heads floating freely in the sky? Now, really...  Huh

That photo 'montage' is one of the 12 limited edition fine art prints that Sir Peter Blake created especially for the Genesis edition of TLOS. Next time I see him I'll pass your comment on...  Smiley

LOL LOL LOL this had me in stitches. Please give mr Blake a stiff drink first. And only then pass it on... because now I know it, I still find it pretty dreadful.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 01:43:51 AM »

LOL LOL LOL this had me in stitches. Please give mr Blake a stiff drink first. And only then pass it on... because now I know it, I still find it pretty dreadful.

Likewise -  you could have been in stitches to the tune of £900 if you'd shelled out for that particular work of art (I'm sure AGD has a press review copy!!!  :D)

Raises the very frightening prospect though that Genesis and not Capitol might have bought Frank Holmes' work to turn into a very,very expensive piece of "collectible" work. While Frank's work might deserve such treatment, I hope nobody thinks the fans do!

I hope Juggler's correct in that they're simply spotting a marketing opportunity for something they've failed to sell sufficient quantities of.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 01:53:57 AM »

Likewise -  you could have been in stitches to the tune of £900 if you'd shelled out for that particular work of art (I'm sure AGD has a press review copy!!!  :D)

Raises the very frightening prospect though that Genesis and not Capitol might have bought Frank Holmes' work to turn into a very,very expensive piece of "collectible" work. While Frank's work might deserve such treatment, I hope nobody thinks the fans do!

I hope Juggler's correct in that they're simply spotting a marketing opportunity for something they've failed to sell sufficient quantities of.

Agree! Holmes' work has become so much part of the collective (un)conscious of the BB fan community, that in theory his material deserves some deluxe treatment on the best paper available, bound, etc. etc. But heaven forbid that Genesis will get some exclusive deal, to rip off the gullible or the rich. What we need is a democratically available presentation...

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 03:25:16 AM »

I just don't get how that book seemed in anyway a good financial move for a company. Brian & Peter Blake, I suspect, are laughing. They just had to do a bit of work, cash the cheques, and carry on. If these dudes handle a Smile deluxe edition, I might cry...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 04:03:43 AM »

I just don't get how that book seemed in anyway a good financial move for a company. Brian & Peter Blake, I suspect, are laughing. They just had to do a bit of work, cash the cheques, and carry on. If these dudes handle a Smile deluxe edition, I might cry...

Imagine a $ 1,000 Genesis-only book which, erm, 'presents' a sort of post-modern Holmes Art Ripped To Shreds Inna Peter Blake Stylee fashion... and only if you part with that amount, you'll get the SS box set... I'd be thinking about buying some rope, or potassium cyanide instead...  Shocked

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 04:19:00 AM »

Sounds tempting.... The Smiley Smile Boards first suicide pact?  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 04:22:02 AM »

I think you are spot on. Furthermore, the photo 'montage' that comes with the announcement is prolly the worst I have ever seen. Have our heroes been beheaded? And why are their heads floating freely in the sky? Now, really...  Huh

I'm a big fan of Peter Blake but have to admit, that image is not one of his finest. The heads in the air and the sea are all cool. I think what spoils it is that image of Brian. If that hasn't been digitally enhanced then I (like Brian in the photo) am a monkey's uncle , and I think using digitally retouched photos in his montages sort of undermines what Peter Blake does.

As far as genesis using the smile news in their press release goes, I just assumed they were using the news to send a bit more traffic to their TLOS book. I guess it would make more sense if they're planning to release some sort of overpriced Smile tie in. I wouldn't panic too much though. I expect we'll still get a competitively priced deluxe package. It might be that genesis just give it the luxury treatment by commissioning Frank Holmes to do new art or something, which would be great, but I could live without it. Terrible speculation on my part, but I really doubt this is anything to worry about, unless you are the type of fan who must have everything.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx