gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:44:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much has leaked?  (Read 15814 times)
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »

Of the Smile sessions - how much would you say has leaked (bootlegs etc)? 10%? 25%? 50%? 75%?

And the same for unreleased material by the BB/BW - how much would you say has leaked?

/Just curious Smiley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »

I'd say 96%

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:49:06 AM »

Smile sessions = 25%

Everything else = 55%
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »

Actually it's all leaked, and no, I'm not sharing.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:18:23 PM »

I'd say most of it is out there. I think we would have heard by now if someone has heard any more fragments. Unless some surprises (i.e. Durrie Parks acetates) have surfaced recently and are being withheld for the new release. I just think we've heard about 95% of it already. Looking forward to hearing it in the best quality sound possible, without compromising the integrity of the original recordings. I trust Mark Linnett will give that to us.

I remember that for years the "Cantina" and "Three Score and Five" segments were rumored to exist. Also rumored for years that there was a 12 minute version of "Heroes & Villains". And an alternate "Wonderful". Same with "Hang On To Your Ego". Then they eventually came out. Well...........I think we've heard 12 minutes worth of "Heroes", don't you think? You can never say never that more isn't out there. If more did exist, it was thrown out at Columbia during their tape cleaning in '69 or was absconded by Bruce or others with access to the Capitol vaults.

I just want to hear the vocal sessions for Good Vibrations.  Unfortunately, I don't think I ever will during my lifetime.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:22:55 PM »

Smile sessions = 25%

Everything else = 55%

75% of SMiLE sessions remain in the dark? Using nightvision, how much of that is not just studio farting-around??
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 04:07:21 PM »

I have to think there is some unreleased material around somewere. No proof.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 04:08:36 PM »

Smile sessions = 25%

Everything else = 55%

75% of SMiLE sessions remain in the dark? Using nightvision, how much of that is not just studio farting-around??

100 % of it.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 04:49:49 PM »

I think 90-95% is relatively accurate.  There are probably a few gems left to be discovered, but there's already so much out there that it's hard to imagine much more existing.  I'd love to be proven wrong, but given that most of what we've got can be tied to the known list of session dates, there aren't too many left that are unaccounted for.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:50:13 PM »

Most of the tapes that were leaked are backing tracks. Very few vocals, so I bet we get a ton of that.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 03:56:09 AM »

Thanks all! Yes - the vocal sessions are really nice to listen to - legal or not. Let's hope for more sessions during our lifetime... Some of the stuff should be used for educational purposes! Smiley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 03:59:49 AM »

Actually it's all leaked, and no, I'm not sharing.

LOL

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 06:44:17 AM »

Most of the tapes that were leaked are backing tracks. Very few vocals, so I bet we get a ton of that.

I have this bad feeling that, as most of the vocals were done at Columbia, they may have gone the way of the "GV" vocal multitracks in the spring 1967 turn-out.  Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 09:55:20 AM »

I really hope that Dennis' "I Don't Know" and the Jasper Dailey sessions are on the new box!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 10:40:16 AM »

I have this bad feeling that, as most of the vocals were done at Columbia, they may have gone the way of the "GV" vocal multitracks in the spring 1967 turn-out.  Shocked

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  Angry

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  Angry

And yet "Good Vibrations" was finished and released before spring 1967, but the other SMiLE tracks weren't. Why would tapes be trashed (by Columbia) when the tracks in question had not yet been completed or released?

If the tapes were trashed sometime in the early-to-mid 70s or later, then I would understand (although not appreciate) Columbia's house cleaning.

This doesn't mean I expect to hear many vocal tracks, but "spring '67" seems too early for SMiLE vocals to be thrown out with the garbage.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 12:20:09 PM »

This doesn't mean I expect to hear many vocal tracks, but "spring '67" seems too early for SMiLE vocals to be thrown out with the garbage.

Unless Brian intentionally threw them out with the garbage.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 08:00:55 PM »

I think I remember reading about Carl Wilson and Steve Desper transferring the SMiLE tapes to different tape stock, and listening to the sessions, around the time of the Surf's Up album.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 08:56:16 PM »

I think I remember reading about Carl Wilson and Steve Desper transferring the SMiLE tapes to different tape stock, and listening to the sessions, around the time of the Surf's Up album.

Getheheckouttahere!  Where'd you hear a crazy thing like that?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 10:49:26 PM »

I heard somewhere that Brian was recording a track called "Fire" and around the same time there was a fire in a building next door to the studio and soon after an unusual number of fires broke out in L.A. and Brian thought it was caused by the music, so he got paranoid and scared and burned the tapes.

Anybody remember that story?

That musta been some gooooood pot he was smokin'!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 09:25:25 AM »

I heard somewhere that Brian was recording a track called "Fire" and around the same time there was a fire in a building next door to the studio and soon after an unusual number of fires broke out in L.A. and Brian thought it was caused by the music, so he got paranoid and scared and burned the tapes.

Anybody remember that story?

And I also heard that Brian had meetings in his pool, because he thought Murry was bugging his house...  LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 09:25:25 AM »

I really hope that Dennis' "I Don't Know" and the Jasper Dailey sessions are on the new box!
seconded. i'd bet those dailey recordings are a hoot. honestly though, i suspect we've heard most of everything already.

my only hope is that this project will feature brian's direct involvment in assembling everything into a mindblowing '67 lp length bricolage.  

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:26:22 AM by FUN³ » Logged
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 09:35:15 AM »

More like Hash  Smokin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »

my only hope is that this project will feature brian's direct involvment in assembling everything into a mindblowing '67 lp length bricolage.  

Ummmmmmmmmmm...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 11:09:07 AM »

Well...he could certainly make an LP-length version for the box set but it'll be missing a ton of stuff.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx