gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 11:33:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leads on "Heroes And Villains" and "Vega-Tables"  (Read 1744 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2011, 06:00:17 PM »

So until when was "Heroes And Villains" a duet between Brian and Mike? And when was the 'duet' section recorded? I'm not sure I'd ever heard Mike doing a lead on this song, and it was odd. Is there any other versions with Mike doing the lead? Also, who sings the lead on the "tripped on a cornucopia" version of "Vega-tables"? Sounds like Brian and Mike to me, but who knows. I'm a long time SMiLE fan but I'm not really familiar with this alternate stuff, besides maybe the "rock with me Henry" version of "Wonderful". Anyways, stuff like these make me even more excited for The Beach Boys SMiLE release.

Also, is there a possibility of a 1966 completed edit of "Heroes And Villains"? At the least I'm quite excited about this version Mark Linett found. Hopefully it'll be different than the "cantina" or the Smiley Smile version, because it would be great to have another version!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:15:52 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 07:57:38 PM »

Not sure I can answer your "Heroes" question, but "Vegatables" is all Brian and the Vosse gang, no Mike to be heard anywhere. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:04:21 PM »

... and it suffers for that.  Smiley  As long as it's the 60's, and Mike is singing (not talking) I say bring it on.  Even if it's Long Tall Texan or whatever.   Even if it's Alley Oop.  Mike on Heroes and Villians would have been cool to hear. 

I hope Mark and co. put an emphasis on releasing stuff that hasn't already been released, or widely bootlegged. 
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 10:24:44 PM »

Technically, Mike is on "Heroes and Villains" - he sings "and sunny down snuff I'm alright, by the heroes and-".

And I could've sworn Mike sang "tripped on a cornucopia", but then again, it's not like Brian hasn't sounded like Mike on other songs.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:26:19 PM by Don_Zabu » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:09:01 AM »

Technically, Mike is on "Heroes and Villains" - he sings "and sunny down snuff I'm alright, by the heroes and-".
And I think he doubles Brian at the end of every line "...long long time", "...heroes and villains" "...brought her down", "...heroes and villains" (again)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 06:04:50 AM »

And I think he doubles Brian at the end of every line "...long long time", "...heroes and villains" "...brought her down", "...heroes and villains" (again)

it's also worth noting there's a version of the Cantina section where he sings lead as well

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »

Pretty sure that's Carl. They do share the lead for the verses on the three 'mix attempts' I've heard, and that is by far the best version of the verse I've heard (I use it when making my own H&V mix). Let's hope that's on the box.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx