gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:42:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's talk "This Whole World" again--new hypothesis  (Read 3659 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:46:08 PM »

Those of you who know me know that I've long been fascinated by this track.  Yesterday, while at work, the Byrds live at the Fillmore was on, and for some reason when "Tambourine Man" came on it struck me as a very similar sort of sound and idea to This Whole World.  The original recording of that song came firmly out of that same wonderful tradition that Brian's productions did, and the Live version on that album remains rooted to that original sound, except of course that Clarence White is playing tasty B-bender country licks over it.

And so I wonder if Brian was hip to this sound and it informed This Whole World.  Certainly the timing is right.  What is interesting is that Brian brought in a couple of interesting session players; David Cohen (whom I've been trying to track down for years) and John Conrad.  Cohen seems to have been a bit of a country-folkie type, and John Conrad seems to have played bass with Gram Parsons, appearing for the Beach Boys just this once.  Perhaps Brian brought these guys in for a specific reason.

Unfortunately, the guitars in the final mix are mixed very low, and much of the effect is lost.  This is definitely one of my top "wanna have access to the multitracks" recordings so I could isolate them.  Cohen's playing is very cool and very much in the vein of White.  In earlier takes, he actually is even more busy and plays some very pedal-steely kind of stuff.

So, was This Whole World Brian's reaction to the Byrds?  What do you think?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:05:45 PM »

Nah

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »

Mr. Tambourine Man was the Birds answer to Don't Worry Baby!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:13:13 PM »

There's certainly a similarity there.  Hard to say if it's intentional.  It's kind of strange though, the VERSE of "this whole world" sounds like the CHORUS of "Tamborine Man".  Good ears, I never noticed that. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:01:33 PM »

Mr. Tamborine Man is a real good song.  But Mr. Tamborine Man doesn't change keys in the middle like This Whole World, which is just brilliant. Mr. Tamborine Man ain't as good as This Whole World, which is definitely one of Brian's all-time best songs. Any one of The Boys coulda sang that song well, but Carl really put it over the top.

Personally, I don't think the Tamborine Man influenced This Whole World. Maybe after a few beers and a J, but I don't.....really.....hear......the simularities there.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:23:26 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:06:51 PM »

Make no mistake, This Whole World rocks Mr. Tamborine man any day of the week.  I do hear a similarity there though.  The acapella thing at the end of This Whole World blows me away everytime I hear it, especially Mike's lowwwww part in that.  SoundsLikeaHeaven
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 02:12:11 AM »

Sorry, I don't see any connection between any version of Mr Tambourine Man and This Whole World, apart from both being great songs.

TWW has a soul music influence, but apart from that seems to be pure Brian Wilson music, with the added gifts of Carl's interpretation.

Maybe if i got to hear the alt mixes and earlier takes I might be able to hear what you're hearing... hint hint Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 03:56:11 AM »

I for one would love to hear those guitars more in the mix - What they're playing during the middle eight is astonishing!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 07:00:24 AM »

Note that I'm not suggesting that Tambourine Man alone influenced TWW, that was simply where I heard the "wall of sound"/"late 60s Byrds" fusion the best.  My main hypothesis is that Brian went into that production with Byrdsy country-rock in mind and it, of course, came out as something else.

And I still am fascinated that John Conrad was hired to play bass for the Beach Boys just this once, particularly since there was already a bass player at the session in Ray Pohlman.  Certainly there's precedence for two electric basses on a track, but why John Conrad, who as I said, is associated with Gram Parsons.
Scott
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 07:52:42 AM »

Josh-

I don't know if this will help.  I met a guy named David Bennett Cohen when I was subbing on the show RENT in NYC.  He was a keyboard/guitar sub, and he told me that he played with Country Joe.  Although a piano player, he played guitar very well!

http://www.davidbennettcohen.com/

Scott Totten
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »

Unfortunately, the guitars in the final mix are mixed very low, and much of the effect is lost.  This is definitely one of my top "wanna have access to the multitracks" recordings so I could isolate them.  Cohen's playing is very cool and very much in the vein of White.  In earlier takes, he actually is even more busy and plays some very pedal-steely kind of stuff.

I've never heard the earlier takes.  I think this is pretty interesting stuff here.  Is it possible that Cohen may have been playing a B-bender for these sessions?  They're still played, to this day, by guitarists looking for that "pedal-steely" sound.  From what I understand, they're still being manufactured.  After reading your posts, this is now one my top "wanna have access to the multi tracks" recordings too!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 10:09:40 AM »

I've never heard the earlier takes.  I think this is pretty interesting stuff here.  Is it possible that Cohen may have been playing a B-bender for these sessions?  They're still played, to this day, by guitarists looking for that "pedal-steely" sound.  From what I understand, they're still being manufactured.  After reading your posts, this is now one my top "wanna have access to the multi tracks" recordings too!

B-Benders are still being made, both as custom aftermarket installations the way the originals Parsons-White benders were sold, and also Fender was recently selling a "B-Bender Telecaster" as part of their product line. There are also now "G-Benders" which are just like B-Benders except on the G (Brad Paisley plays one), and all kinds of contraptions like the Hip-Shot and Will Ray's devices for bending strings with your palm rather than the strap button.

Whether Cohen or whoever was using a B-Bender is unknown but I would doubt it, as there were not that many around in those early days (late 1969). Gene Parsons of course had *the one*, Bernie Leadon of the Eagles had one, Albert Lee and maybe a few others had them but at that time they weren't that common. You'd have to ask Cohen if he can be tracked down!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 10:38:51 AM »

wow. Clarence White and Gram Parsons both mentioned on the smiley board... 2 of my favorites!

pretty sure there is no b-bender on 'This Whole World'... I would love to hear the earlier takes though!
Marty Stuart actually owns the original Clarence b-bender and has for many years.

I'm a big Parsons fan, but I've never heard the name John Conrad before?

TWW does have some brilliant guitar work with a busy, almost chicken-picky thing happening at times. similar to 'When A Man Needs A Woman' from Friends. who played guitars on that one?

your theory would assume that Brian had attended a Byrds concert around that time, or possibly heard a live broadcast.
Clarence had a brilliant sound and technique, and he appeared on Byrds recordings from '67 on i believe. I would love to think that he perhaps influenced or inspired Brian on some level.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:05:58 AM by bossaroo » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »

I should clarify - I said Parsons owned it but yes it was Clarence White who actually played that first B-Bender equipped Telecaster, now owned by Marty Stuart! Gene Parsons built it and designed it, Clarence White played the heck out of it.

1969, same time frame as This Whole World, the general public who possibly wouldn't be as familiar with Clarence White would have heard him everywhere as he added that intense guitar soloing to Arlo Guthrie's "Comin Into Los Angeles", still one of my all-time favorite solos on B-Bender or guitar in general! Compare that guitar soloing which is out of control good or even Bernie Leadon's laid-back soloing on Peaceful Easy Feeling which are the original B-Benders straight from Parson's house most likely, to This Whole World - I don't hear a B-Bender but again Cohen could confirm it 100% if he's found.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 11:45:52 AM »

Scott--interesting, I don't think that's the same guy though it is possible.  What I've been able to find out about this Cohen is that he was involved in the Ash Grove "scene", at what is now the LA Improv on Melrose.  He seems to have been primarily a guitarist, which is why I doubt it's the same David Cohen.

Interesting you should mention WAMNAW, that is indeed another session David Cohen played on.  I think he did Raspberries, Strawberries as well.

I too doubt there was B-bender on this, though for a while I considered it a possibility, until Guitarfool here pointed out how this very B-bendery lick could be played simply with a big string bend.  There is still a lick during the "chorus" that both guitarists experiment with throughout the session but only Jerry Cole (who otherwise is the one just playing the power chords) ends up playing on the final take that I can't quite figure out how its being played that also sounds like something you would like to B-bend but I'm sure is played some other way.

Anyway, would be very interesting to track down Cohen or even ask Brian what he had in mind here.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »

Call me crazy, but there's something about "Sweet Caroline" that reminds me of "This Whole World".
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 02:19:53 PM »

Anyone have a breakdown of who played what on This Whole World?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 02:25:27 PM »

Sure:

The Basic track:

Jerry Cole and David Cohen, Guitars
John Conrad and Ray Pohlman, Basses
Dennis Dragon on the Tubs
Gene Estes on Chimes

Then a piano, celeste, and some sort of drum were overdubbed.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »

LOVE Dennis Dragon's tub action on this track. The little space he leaves in the drum fill he plays when he first comes in is priceless.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx