gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:10:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rating list for the BB Solo albums  (Read 13249 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 03:48:17 AM »

Rats - knew I forgot one. OK, version 2.0:

1 - POB
2 - TLOS
3 - BWPS
4 - BWRG
5 - BW
6 - PFC
7 - I
8 - LBWL
9 - YB
10 - CW
11 - GIOMH
12 - WIRWFC
13 - GP

And another one. Oh... bother.  OK, 3.0

1 - POB
2 - TLOS
3 - BWPS
4 - BWRG
5 - BW
6 - OCA
7 - PFC
8 - I
9 - LBWL
10 - YB
11 - CW
12 - GIOMH
13 - WIRWFC
14 - GP

Why not include Bambu ? I will, just as soon as Dennis finishes it. Not including unreleased sets means that First Love is denied a #7/8 slot, but hey, life's like that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 05:38:48 AM »

1. Pacific Ocean Blue (Dennis Wilson)
2. That Lucky Old Sun (Brian Wilson)
3. Brian Wilson Presents Smile (Brian Wilson)
4. Blondie Chaplin (Blondie Chaplin)
5. Brian Wilson (Brian Wilson)
6. Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin (Brian Wilson)
7. Imagination (Brian Wilson)
8. Between Us (Blondie Chaplin)
9. Youngblood (Carl Wilson)
10. Carl Wilson (Carl Wilson)
11. Without Earth (The Moon)
12. Celebration - (Celebration)
13. Gettin' In Over My Head (Brian Wilson)
14. I Think About You Often (David Marks)
15. A Postcard From California (Al Jardine)
16. The Moon (The Moon)
17. Like A Brother (Beckley-Lamm-Wilson)
18. Something Funny Goin' On (David Marks)
19. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (Brian Wilson)
20. Orange Crate Art - (Brian Wilson & Van Dyke Parks)
21. Going Public (Bruce Johnston)
22. What I Really Want For Christmas (Brian Wilson)
23. Looking Back With Love (Michael Love)
24. Almost Summer (Celebration)
25. Disco Celebration (Celebration)
(PS1: I left 21. Surfin' 'Round the World, Surfers' Pajama Party and The Flame out, these being released before Bruce/Blondie/Ricky became BB members)
(PS2: not really worth mentioning: Catch A Wave - Mike Love, Summertime Cruisin' - Mike, Bruce, Adrian Baker, Salute Nascar - Mike, Bruce, David)

Live
1. Live At The Roxy (Brian Wilson)
2. Pet Sounds Live (Brian Wilson)
3. Live In Las Vegas (Al Jardine Family & Friends)

Singles / EP's / iTunes releases
1. Do It Again single (Brian Wilson) - worth having for "This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight" alone
2. Walking Down The Path Of Live single (Brian Wilson)
3. PT Cruiser EP (Al Jardine)
4. Hungry Heart (Mike Love)
5. Santa's Goin' To Kokomo (Mike Love)

Not-so-official
1. Fragile Thread (Blondie Chaplin) - had this was been an official release it would have ended 4th, a darn shame this album stayed in the faults...
2. Unleash the Love (Mike Love)
3. Sweet Insanity (Brian Wilson)
4. First Love (Mike Love)
5. Country Love (Mike Love)
(PS: Bambu and Paley sessions were considered, but as these are unfinished products, not added to the list)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:44:17 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 05:42:09 AM »

Can someone make a compelling case for the merits of POB? So that I might love it again as much as I did on the day of release in 1977?

Help!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 05:46:06 AM »

Can someone make a compelling case for the merits of POB? So that I might love it again as much as I did on the day of release in 1977?

Help!

What I did many years ago, is listening to it a first time, putting it away for 5 years, listening to it again, putting it away again for another 2 years, and when gave it a third listen it suddenly hit me.

Should work...  Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 06:17:56 AM »

Help!

Because I damn well say so !  Grin

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 06:42:39 AM »

Help!

Ah, the resident Kim Jong-Il again sticks his Seal Of Approval onto POB. Who am I to argue?  Shocked

B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »

I hear your pleas, oh Heartical one.  I can't seem to figure out the greatness of POB.  It certainly is a solid effort but it hasn't thoroughly impressed me either.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 09:13:23 AM »

I say BW88 is #1, the POB/Bambu set a close #2, and the rest I don't know. I really love POB, but I think Bambu is slightly better. However I ind myself listening to BW88 more than any. One for the Boys, There's So Many, RG, MA, so many classic tunes on this. I think that TLOS and POB are about even woth each other. BWPS is amazing but it is hard for me to consider that it's own seperate entity as a solo record.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 09:56:26 AM »

Ya know, for the stream of great music these guys put out collectively between 1963 - 1971, they sure released a lot of sh*t as solo artists! More crap than gems.

Without ranking them, I think the best of the lot are:
BW Smile, POB, BW 1988, Orange Crate Art, & Bambu.
Also, Imagination. Side note: good content for BW 1988 & Imagination, but terrible production.

Everything else is very spotty and a few are simply horrifying.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 09:59:27 AM »

a few are simply horrifying.

Do you get nightmares?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »

Help!

Ah, the resident Kim Jong-Il again sticks his Seal Of Approval onto POB. Who am I to argue?  Shocked

Quite - now listen to the album and marvel.   Smiley

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 11:13:28 AM »

Do you get nightmares?

Me specifically? No.
I know because I set up speakers on my front porch and I play 'Going Public' and 'Looking Back With Love' as part of my Halloween soundtrack to scare the kids when I pass out treats. So frightening, some kids don't even come near my house.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 11:15:12 AM »

Do you get nightmares?

Me specifically? No.
I know because I set up speakers on my front porch and I play 'Going Public' and 'Looking Back With Love' as part of my Halloween soundtrack to scare the kids when I pass out treats. So frightening, some kids don't even come near my house.

LOL

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »

Help!
I think people, fans, critics, smiley smilers have been making a compelling case for the merits of POB over and over and over again. It was the best reviewed reissue of 2008 by a mile. Five stars in nearly every newspaper and magazine, Reissue of the year in all the big ones. If you don't listen to critics, then how about it being #1 on 90% of the people's lists in this very thread. No problem if its not your cup of tea...but I think you're the one who needs to be making the compelling case for your contrary view, as its clearly in the smallest minority. I think people like it because its the best BB's solo effort, and probably one of the best five or six BB's albums in general.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/pacific-ocean-blue-reissue/critic-reviews
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »

Help!
I think people, fans, critics, smiley smilers have been making a compelling case for the merits of POB over and over and over again. It was the best reviewed reissue of 2008 by a mile. Five stars in nearly every newspaper and magazine, Reissue of the year in all the big ones. If you don't listen to critics, then how about it being #1 on 90% of the people's lists in this very thread. No problem if its not your cup of tea...but I think you're the one who needs to be making the compelling case for your contrary view, as its clearly in the smallest minority. I think people like it because its the best BB's solo effort, and probably one of the best five or six BB's albums in general.

Isn't this all a little subjective?  Why must we make a case for liking or disliking the album?  Either you dig it or you don't.  It doesn't matter either way.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 10:52:56 PM »

11. Without Earth (The Moon)
16. The Moon (The Moon)
Ooh. Both great! I don't really consider those as solo releases, but I recon they really are.
(Surfin' 'Round the World,
WOW! Totally forgot about this one! Absolutely among the best of the bunch.
Contains some great surf instros and some early FUZZ guitar. Brilliant stuff!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 11:18:09 PM »

BB solo albums are real spotty, tbh I don't care for most of Brian's solo work. I feel like he has sort of become this overstated version of himself if you know what I mean. Like, I really get a sense of him as a producer between 1963 and 1977, I can feel his evolution, pick out his influences, figure out how he got from one thing to the next. You can sort of see him putter along, you can watch him become interested in the moog via Wendy Carlos, etc.

But I feel like his solo albums are sort of missing that. Like he's lost his voice-production wise-since the 80s. There are some good songs, but I haven't heard any of his solo albums and been like "oh Brian". I think his best is TLOS, it's pretty nice, but I don't think he's yet done an album where Brian Wilson really shined through if you catch my drift.

My favorite BB solo album is by far POB, I don't think you can top it, both it an Bambu have really terrific production, great feeling, great everything. I especially love Companion from Bambu. Jeeze, compare that to Here Comes the Night! I was really into disco when it sort of came back a few years ago in the form of "blog house", and I collected a bunch of ulta-obscure disco and house records and got into that whole sound. So when I say I don't like HCTN it isn't because I just hate disco. Companion on the other hand sounds so modern, it's a much more interesting track that's funky as hell.

The first Moon album is pretty good, and I like stuff by The Flame too. Bruce's Surfin' Round the World is also a favorite that I think is full of fun sh*t. Beyond that I don't think any of the solo albums are that great, Carl's are pretty disappointing.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 11:42:29 PM »

I have to say that the opening line of BW88 is purely Brian, although I see your point that none of Brian's solo efforts have that "Brian"...moment, save for most of BW88 and it's demos, IMO
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 11:53:52 PM »

I like a lot of the unreleased stuff Brian did, I'm Broke, Chain Reaction of Love, etc more than some of the stuff that's showed up on his solo albums.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 01:24:36 AM »

Help!

Hi Jon -

with due respect: you are using the 'democratic' argument here. Yes, I am in a minority (although I was a huge fan of POB way back when). But when 9 out of 10 people adore something, that does not mean, IMHO, that that thing is necessarily good.

I realize I was too harsh on POB two days ago. It's a good album, with some weak, and some very fine spots. I did not buy the deluxe edition of the CD for nothing.

My problem, so to speak, has to do with self-searching on my part. How can it be that I was absolutely wowed by that LP, and am no so any more? One wonders, thinks back, compares different eras, that kind of thing. We all change.

Oh, and I love your biography of Dennis. Great book.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:29:50 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 05:49:55 AM »

OK, awarding points on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis for the first five places on all but one of the 12 lists thus far submitted (excluding the list of solely BW albums), this is what we have so far

1 Pacific Ocean Blue - 49 (9 first place votes)
2 That Lucky Old Sun - 36 (1)
3 ... Presents Smile - 31 (2)
4 Brian Wilson - 16
5 ... Reimagines Gershwin - 14
6 Spring - 7
7 Bambu - 6
8 A Postcard from California - 5
9 Blondie Chaplin - 4
10 The Flame - 3
11 Youngblood - 3
12 Live at Eddie's Attic (David Marks) - 2
13 Orange Crate Art - 2
14 Imagination - 1
15 The Fragile Thread - 1
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:51:15 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2011, 06:05:19 AM »

...My problem, so to speak, has to do with self-searching on my part. How can it be that I was absolutely wowed by that LP, and am no so any more? One wonders, thinks back, compares different eras, that kind of thing. We all change...

Coming after 15 BIG ONES and LOVE YOU (neither of which I cared much for), POB struck me as exactly the album the Beach Boys should have followed up HOLLAND with. So perhaps historical context is a factor here; the album may not have seemed as brilliant if it was released in, say, '71. Although the difference between you and me, Don, is that I never lost my love for it; I still find it a very impressive work even though my context for it has completely changed. Perhaps you were responding to the hope back in '77 that Dennis would continue on with a remarkable solo career or that the Beach Boys would collectively create another album as strong as POB or SUNFLOWER or...(fill in the blank). After '83, POB became a one-shot, the last shining moment for Dennis before the decline and that changed how I viewed the record. I still find it hard to enjoy DOUBLE FANTASY because the context for that album changed about five weeks after I bought it. Give POB another listen in four or five years and you may find you appreciate it again.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2011, 11:28:04 AM »

Help!

Hi Jon -

with due respect: you are using the 'democratic' argument here. Yes, I am in a minority (although I was a huge fan of POB way back when). But when 9 out of 10 people adore something, that does not mean, IMHO, that that thing is necessarily good.

I realize I was too harsh on POB two days ago. It's a good album, with some weak, and some very fine spots. I did not buy the deluxe edition of the CD for nothing.

My problem, so to speak, has to do with self-searching on my part. How can it be that I was absolutely wowed by that LP, and am no so any more? One wonders, thinks back, compares different eras, that kind of thing. We all change.

Oh, and I love your biography of Dennis. Great book.
That's cool. I think it is a unique perspective to have once loved POB and to now find it somehow less than it was. The overwhelming opinion is the opposite. Most people find POB is one of those timeless records that only gets better as the years go by, much like Brian's best work. POB has grown massively in stature over the last few years, but like you I loved it right away, and unlike you it still blows my mind. Your orig. statement that BWPS has grown in stature, while POB has fallen is the exact opposite of what has actually occurred in the world. BWPS is very good, but when it first hit people were imploding in orgasm over it, I'd say the initial shine has diminished, again that's a general thing, the fact that its grown for you is totally cool with me. I suspect that if Smile had appeared in '67 it would be my favorite BB's LP. the fact that it has to be absorbed in such herky jerky context with the BB's releasing bits, bootlegs, a brian solo version, and now (hopefully) an official BB's version 44 years too late, all of that puts such a weird spin on what it really is. But to me BWPS is a 2004 facsimile of something from '67 that didn't get finished, it isn't its own original entity. That's just my opinion. Your opinion is just as valid as mine, my point is that since on this board, and in so many critics lists, POB is thought of as the absolute best BB's solo work...that it kind of puts the onus on the contrary view to be the one that needs explanation.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »

1. Country Love
2. First Love
3. Looking Back With Love
4. Unleash the Love/Mike Love Not War
5. Adrian Baker Sessions
6. Mike and Dean
7. Sweet Insanity
8. Goin' Public
9. Carl Wilson
10. Youngblood

Just kidding!  LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 08:03:31 AM »

Never heard, Goin' Public, not a ton of desire to do so.

I was in the same boat a few years ago. Go with your gut, never listen to it!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx