gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 09:17:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up anthology ever?  (Read 3367 times)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »

So I was rereading all that lovely Jack Rieley posting from some time back...and it reminded me just how cool the Surf's Up LP is, and how even-cooler it could have been.

Somehow I don't recall seeing any deluxe-styled boots ever appearing that collect everything Surf's Up-related in one place, the way the Sea of Tunes CDs tended to do.

I realize part of this may be the confusion over what the album was supposed to be in the first place ("Landlocked", I guess).

Reading about stuff like "Burlesque" just gets my appetite going and makes me want to hear more Surf's Up stuff, maybe compile my own new tracklist for it.

But where do I look? What's missing? What's never been heard?

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 06:48:43 AM »

So I was rereading all that lovely Jack Rieley posting from some time back...and it reminded me just how cool the Surf's Up LP is, and how even-cooler it could have been.

Somehow I don't recall seeing any deluxe-styled boots ever appearing that collect everything Surf's Up-related in one place, the way the Sea of Tunes CDs tended to do.

I realize part of this may be the confusion over what the album was supposed to be in the first place ("Landlocked", I guess).

Reading about stuff like "Burlesque" just gets my appetite going and makes me want to hear more Surf's Up stuff, maybe compile my own new tracklist for it.

But where do I look? What's missing? What's never been heard?

I'm a big fan of Surf's Up. In the 20/20 thread I've made my indiffernce to that album clear based on its lack of cohesion. I guess the same could be argued for Surf's Up so not sure why I love it. I think the band's contributions seem stronger. I love Carl's tracks, and Bruce's and Al's are great too. The only track that bums me out is Student demonstration Time, so if I had to make any changes I might swap that out for Sound Of Free. I think another reason for my fondness is that when I was rediscovering the BB in my teens, along with Pet Sounds, this was the album played to me that gave me a totally different perspective on the band.

As I understand it, some of the SU era tracks include Lady, Big Sur (early version), Sound Of Free, H.E.L.P., Barbara, 4th Of July, and then Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again which by all accounts is a work of genius. WIBNTLA aside, it seems criminal that Dennis is so under-represented on the album as SOF, Barbara and Lady are better than half the songs on SU imo.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:02:26 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 07:38:53 AM »

My understanding is that Dennis pulled his own tracks from the Surf's Up project. He wanted one of his tracks to close the album, instead of the title track.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 07:54:51 AM »

My understanding is that Dennis pulled his own tracks from the Surf's Up project. He wanted one of his tracks to close the album, instead of the title track.

Correct - he and Carl reportedly had a falling out over the sequencing, so he said "**** it", and pulled both his songs.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »

Correct - he and Carl reportedly had a falling out over the sequencing, so he said "**** it", and pulled both his songs.

What were his songs to be? Sound of Free and Fallin' In Love, or was one of them WIBNTLA?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 08:46:46 AM »

How does one have the ability to just 'pull out' his music from the album? I mean, technically its a "Beach Boys" song right? Also, if the rest of the group sang on it (not sure if they did or not) wouldn't that further enforce that its a group effort?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 09:15:03 AM »

It´s true that the recordings were owned by either the band or the label, depending on who financed them. For a song to be released for the first time, it´s writer has to give permission though...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:16:06 AM by Yorick » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 09:24:42 AM »

What were his songs to be? Sound of Free and Fallin' In Love, or was one of them WIBNTLA?

WIBNTLA was one of 'em iirc. The other one I'm not sure about. Maybe "4th of july". I believe Dennis wanted the album to end with kind of a "life"-trilogy. "A day in the life of a tree" "'til I die" "Wouldn't it be nice to live again?"

Still hoping for a release of the finished "Surf's up"-Audio DVD
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:27:34 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 10:43:37 AM »

WIBNTLA was one of 'em iirc. The other one I'm not sure about. Maybe "4th of july". I believe Dennis wanted the album to end with kind of a "life"-trilogy. "A day in the life of a tree" "'til I die" "Wouldn't it be nice to live again?"

"(WIBNT)LA" and "4th of July", even though it wasn't finished.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »

How does one have the ability to just 'pull out' his music from the album? I mean, technically its a "Beach Boys" song right? Also, if the rest of the group sang on it (not sure if they did or not) wouldn't that further enforce that its a group effort?

By virtue of his holding the copyright on it, same way that Brian insisted "California Feeling" wasn't included on the album of the same name.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:47:51 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Paulos
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 02:57:54 AM »

I've said this before but if Surf's Up had 4th Of July & WIBNTLA in place of Student Demonstration Time & Take A Load Off Your Feet it would be considered an all time classic (IMO).
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 08:20:31 AM »

I think we might be waiting for ever -  seems that 5.1 fad has all but past in the music world. What I'd hope for is a Deluxe Edition which bolts on a 2nd CD of all the other "could-a-been" tracks, and maybe, just maybe, a (regular) DVD with some footage and maybe some 5.1 bonus tracks, but I doubt we'll get a DVD-A as such.

“We live in divisive times.”
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 11:59:45 AM »

I think we might be waiting for ever -  seems that 5.1 fad has all but past in the music world. What I'd hope for is a Deluxe Edition which bolts on a 2nd CD of all the other "could-a-been" tracks, and maybe, just maybe, a (regular) DVD with some footage and maybe some 5.1 bonus tracks, but I doubt we'll get a DVD-A as such.

You may be right, but the one glimmer of hope is that the HD uncompressed audio being used on Blu-rays is the same high resolution that was used by the SACD and DVD-A formats. So if a package like the one you mentioned is ever released, a Blu-ray disc (in place of the standard DVD) would give us the "DVD-A" mix. The new Blu-ray release of the film INCEPTION features a 35-minute selection of the film's score in 5.1 HD surround - that's the equivalent of a "soundtrack album" being released in the DVD-A format.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 08:10:46 PM »

"Take a Load Off Your Feet" is great. f*** you guys.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 07:21:28 PM »

Yeah, it's kind of too bad that Surf's Up won't get a special treatment.  Interesting that even though something as difficult to compile as Smile gets to see the light of day as a special project, something easy like Surf's Up never will.

If we're playing fantasy, I picture a 3-disc edition.  Disc one would be a Desper supervised remaster plus Dennis' tunes, Disc two would be outtakes, several vocals-only and track-only mixes, etc. disc three, the 5.1 mix on some DVD format.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 02:14:14 AM »

If we're playing fantasy, I picture a 3-disc edition.  Disc one would be a Desper supervised remaster plus Dennis' tunes, Disc two would be outtakes, several vocals-only and track-only mixes, etc. disc three, the 5.1 mix on some DVD format.

I think this should be done for every BBs album from 1964-1977.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx