gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:51:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Beach Boys' Party!
5 - 12 (13.5%)
4 - 25 (28.1%)
3 - 36 (40.4%)
2 - 13 (14.6%)
1 - 3 (3.4%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys' Party!  (Read 46074 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »

The standouts are "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" and "Barbara Ann".
If I'm right, you like the scaled-down version of BA, yes? To me, I enjoy this song in concerts, with more rocking sound & full arrangement (minus "Everybody say yeah" & dancing).

"You've Got to Hide" is good. One of Dennis's impeccable moments.
Yeah, I actually do enjoy the scaled down version, but I do prefer the live electric version.
Despite that, I don't think they should have performed it for so many years.
And I would update the standouts to include "Devoted To You" and "There's No Other"
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2013, 09:08:52 PM »

3/5 Its a good LP but not one of my favorites.. I lump this in with Lost + Found + Surfin Safari LP .. Lp's I don't play much..
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »

Just curious, I came across this album near mint with photos at my local record shop. What is a good price for this?
I've been trying to build my BB collection and you all know everything here!

It's not one of my favorites but the fact that it has the photos is definitely a plus.

CAT# MAS 2398

Thanks.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »

Just curious, I came across this album near mint with photos at my local record shop. What is a good price for this?
I've been trying to build my BB collection and you all know everything here!

It's not one of my favorites but the fact that it has the photos is definitely a plus.

CAT# MAS 2398

Thanks.

As a guide - There is a Very Good Quality copy on Discogs.com with the photo sheet for a surprising low cost of $7.99 + Shipping AND another in same condition for $50.

Discogs.com I find is a great site for price comparisons
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 02:30:41 PM by Rob Dean » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2014, 04:12:37 PM »

I'm starting to like this album more and more as time goes by. It isn't a masterpiece or anything (although Devoted To You is heavenly) and I doubt the band and Brian cared much for it, but it's just so much fun. Never fails to put me in a good mood. I can enjoy it any time, any place. 4/5
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »

Great fun little lp. No bad tracks. That bass is pumping.

4/5 No masterpiece but a great album.
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2014, 11:48:52 AM »

One of the few BB LP's I own multiple copies of (started with a duo, then stumbled upon a mono gatefold.)   I really dig it, a lot of fun.   Side 1 is far better than side 2 imo, so I usually just play it when I have 15mins or so before leaving my apt.   Favorite tracks are "SHould have Known Better" and "Papa Oo Mow Mow", Brian's vocals in PPOMM reminds me of Dance Dance Dance.
KDS
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2015, 06:40:05 AM »

My vote of three might be a little generous.  I would've loved to hear fully realized and arranged versions of some of the covers on this album.  Most notably You've Got to Hide Your Love Away.  That being said, this stripped down covers are still better than the ones that appeared on 15 Big Ones or Summer in Paradise. 

Mike and Brian's vocals on Devoted to You are amazing. 

I like the medley of I Should've Known Better and Tell Me Why. 

It really sounded like Al wanted to do a true version of The Times They Are a Changin without a "party" going on. 

Not a bad album, but I really have to be in a certain mood to listen to it.  I really can't say that about most BB albums from 1962-73. 

Oh, and there's a song called Barbara Ann on the album.  While not a great song, it's a good song, and I don't really get the hate.  I really like the song in concert. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2016, 12:38:47 AM »

I like Barbara Ann as part of the album, with the various attempts at ending it. Outside of the album, though, I don't need to hear it. My favorites on this album are the Beatles songs, Devoted to You, and Mountain of Love. It's a great album for what it was intended to be. Not on the same exalted level as ASL, BBT and SDSN...but at least it kept Capitol at bay until they could finish PS.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx