gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:47:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would you rather ... Smile Sessions!  (Read 13278 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:38:45 AM »

FWIW, I'm a H&V Pt 2 believer.

But I'm not a SU Pt 2 believer.

And I don't mind at all if the new set proves me wrong on both counts!

To nick the idea from one of Wee Helper's posts (apologies) in another thread, a game of Would you rather ...

H&V pt 2, or SU pt 2 to be on the sessions?

I'll go the opposite way and say I'd find a vintage edit of a 2 part Heroes to be the absolute Holy Grail of Smile finds, and would find it more exciting than SU pt 2 even though the latter would be unheard music, and historically more significant.

A challenge of my own:

Barnyard Suite or Child is father of the Man with verse vocals?!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:46:17 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:52:27 AM »

If Smile Sessions threads continue to proliferate at the present rate, then all of us will be institutionalized by the day that the darn thing will actually see the light of day.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:55:20 AM »

To nick the idea from one of Wee Helper's posts (apologies) in another thread, a game of Would you rather ...

I'll go the opposite way and say I'd find a vintage edit of a 2 part Heroes to be the absolute Holy Grail of Smile finds, and would find it more exciting than SU pt 2 even though the latter would be unheard music, and historically more significant.

A challenge of my own:

How about... we recall what the press releases said, which was along the lines of "hopefully all the sessions will be represented" ?  In other words, it exists and they got it, you'll hear it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:02:57 PM »

How about... we recall what the press releases said, which was along the lines of "hopefully all the sessions will be represented" ?  In other words, it exists and they got it, you'll hear it.

Bah, that's a totally meaningless quote unless I'm missing something in the phrasing. All they're saying is all the known sessions will be represented by something. For all we know they may have unearthed a SU pt 2 but Brian's nixed it and Surf's Up will be 'represented' by the sessions we're already familiar with.

Anyway, the point of the thread is not to speculate on what they have or haven't found. FWIW my hopes are pretty low in that dept. - I'll be happy with a cohesive and better quality document of  what we already have and any lost material that surfaces will be a boon supreme.

But for FUN I wondered what holy grails might usurp other holy grails in us fanatics' wish lists?!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:08:15 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:08:04 PM »

The only real conclusion I can draw so far after a couple thousand posts and replies: AGD knows more than we mere mortals do.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:22:03 PM »

That's a very tough one, but I think I'd go with Surf's Up Part 2 by a whisker.  The two-part H&V edit would be awesome but it's possible (probable?) that it'd be comprised totally of pieces we've already heard (just sequenced differently).  Who amongst us isn't intrigued by what Alan Boyd posted a few years ago?

I've heard about the existence of a tape of a full arrangement on that second section of SURF'S UP. It's been described to me, third-hand. Supposedly it's pretty weird, lots of strange horn and string parts. But I haven't heard it.

Child.  The original verse lyrics are one of the greatest Smile mysteries.  I have to believe that they did exist in 1966.  How likely is it that Dennis would have been doing piano demos of a "cowboy song" with just a chorus that has no obvious connection to cowboys?  He must have been singing something else, but what?  Are they lyrics that, as some have suggested, might have ended up in H&V instead ("my children were raised...")?  Something else completely?
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:39:23 PM »

I hope for lead vocals on DYLW.

Between the two, I'd go with Heroes over Surf's Up.  I figure Surf's Up is about 1/1,000,000, Heroes 1/5 shot.  Although I'd love to get Surf's Up II, I don't think it exists.  Heroes has some backers...and retractors.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »

A challenge of my own:

I feel certain the May "67 "Love To Say DaDa" sessions were really used by Brian to make a proto-mix for the mashup medley of H&V PT.2 and SU Pt.2 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:55:53 PM »

That's a very tough one, but I think I'd go with Surf's Up Part 2 by a whisker.  The two-part H&V edit would be awesome but it's possible (probable?) that it'd be comprised totally of pieces we've already heard (just sequenced differently).  Who amongst us isn't intrigued by what Alan Boyd posted a few years ago?

I've heard about the existence of a tape of a full arrangement on that second section of SURF'S UP. It's been described to me, third-hand. Supposedly it's pretty weird, lots of strange horn and string parts. But I haven't heard it.

Child.  The original verse lyrics are one of the greatest Smile mysteries.  I have to believe that they did exist in 1966.  How likely is it that Dennis would have been doing piano demos of a "cowboy song" with just a chorus that has no obvious connection to cowboys?  He must have been singing something else, but what?  Are they lyrics that, as some have suggested, might have ended up in H&V instead ("my children were raised...")?  Something else completely?

Yeah after I posted I realised Barnyard suite vs complete Child is probably a no brainer. I'd certainly go for Child. That might be top of my list of wants for this although unrealistic I fear.

I hope for lead vocals on DYLW.

Between the two, I'd go with Heroes over Surf's Up.  I figure Surf's Up is about 1/1,000,000, Heroes 1/5 shot.  Although I'd love to get Surf's Up II, I don't think it exists.  Heroes has some backers...and retractors.

Leads for DYLW would be sweet, but is there any documentation that those were ever recorded? The Worms leads justify the entire BWPS project for me. Just incredible to hear those, and the fact they have such weird, psychedelic syncopation. They really stand out as vintage additions compared to the new parts of Child and so forth.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:39:04 PM »

I'd love a fully realised version of the slow try-out version of False Barnyard, with vox that no-one's yet imagined. That "plunk plunk-a-plunk-a-plunk..." got me roused (steady madam) the first time I heard it on the SoT box all them years back and it's been a favourite ever since.

It's much more appealing than the actual False Barnyard fade it speeded up to become in successive takes. Conjured up an image of rows of yellow cartoon chickens line-dancing in a barnyard (and then, if I were right, it wouldn't be False Barnyard anymore, would it!).

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:59:57 PM »

Bah, that's a totally meaningless quote unless I'm missing something in the phrasing. All they're saying is all the known sessions will be represented by something. For all we know they may have unearthed a SU pt 2 but Brian's nixed it and Surf's Up will be 'represented' by the sessions we're already familiar with.

The germane word here is "hopefully all the sessions will be represented" - now, my English is shaky, only been speaking it for 55-odd years, got an A Level & 2 O Levels in it, written a couple of books, so... workmanlike at best, but to my simple mind that means if there was a session for "Surf's Up" pt 2, we'll hear it. I may be wrong of course, English is such a rich language and I am but a tyro.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:39:26 PM »

Dude, get some xanax or something equivalent.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 02:44:37 PM »

I may be wrong of course, English is such a rich language and I am but a tyro.

Yes, quite.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 03:22:34 PM »

Tha might be a tyro, Mr Doe, but I'm a Tyke and we talk English proper up here. An' now I thinks 'bout, ah've got one of them A-level things, and a couple of Os, and a NCTJ proficiency certificate somewhere... haven't had to think 'bout such thing fer yonks.

I'd say the germane word is "hopefully[/i] all the sessions will be represented" – in other words, Mark's hoping that folk hiding session tapes he's not sure exist might surrender/sell them to Capitol before he has to hand his homework in. Otherwise we won't[/i] have all[/i] the sessions represented.

It's a reet bugger, it is an’ no mistek.

“We live in divisive times.”
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 03:23:56 PM »

Yep, it's pretty much impossible to talk about what 'you'd like to hear' on a boxset without someone coming in and arguing about it.  
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 04:41:04 PM »

The complete H&V parts 1&2 and the complete backing track

The other one would be a completed I'm in great shape - just the eggs and grits bit not with IWBA etc

Cheers

Richard
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 07:44:52 PM »

I concur completely with juggler's response, and for the same reasons.  As cool as a vintage mix of a 2-part "Heroes" would be, it's unlikely that much (if any) of that music would be anything new.  Hearing the 2nd movement of Surf's Up in all it's glory, however, would be an incredible find - namely because it would be nothing we've heard before (and would be pretty damn cool, if Alan's third-hand description turns out to be accurate).

I have significant doubts that it'll actually turn up, but I think if it did, it would be the biggest Smile discovery we could possibly wish for - aside from a vintage Brian mix of the Elements.
PhilCohen
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 08:03:59 PM »

The only real conclusion I can draw so far after a couple thousand posts and replies: AGD knows more than we mere mortals do.

I would agree with that. Though I kept it private and didn't post it on the forum(at the time), AGD had told me by private message that Brian and Mike had long ago signed to permit the "Smile" box, even at a time when forum members were anguished by Al Jardine's retraction. AGD was correct, and Capitol soon officially announced a "Smile" box. He does have inside information, and he shouldn't be doubted.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 08:08:39 PM »

I would agree with that. Though I kept it private and didn't post it on the forum(at the time), AGD had told me by private message that Brian and Mike had long ago signed to permit the "Smile" box, even at a time when forum members were anguished by Al Jardine's retraction. AGD was correct, and Capitol soon officially announced a "Smile" box. He does have inside information, and he shouldn't be doubted.

HAD; now that you've outed his inability  to keep secrets "secret" to Capitol

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 08:33:19 PM »

I would agree with that......

Bad form to report was told to you in confidence via PM. Perhaps you should edit your post?  Smiley
PhilCohen
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 08:46:08 PM »

Bad form to report was told to you in confidence via PM. Perhaps you should edit your post?  Smiley

But I DID hold it in confidence until after Capitol made their official announcement.  I didn't reveal it at the point when Capitol still didn't want this to be known.  My point is that AGD is credible.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 10:26:41 PM »

But I DID hold it in confidence until after Capitol made their official announcement.  I didn't reveal it at the point when Capitol still didn't want this to be known.  My point is that AGD is credible.
Whilst you are not!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 11:27:59 PM »

I'd only want a H&V part 2 if it had more verses that were cutt, like the "three score and five" one. Having a Barnyard with a studio vocal would be cool, but even if one turned up it wouldn't be that "new", considering that we basically have a rough vocal to synch with the backing track. What I'd really want is the "reconnected telephone lines" verse, or a vocal from CITFOTM, or Do You Like Worms.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 11:45:34 PM »

Dude, get some xanax or something equivalent.

Congrats - I see the SOH bypass was a complete success.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 11:47:28 PM »

HAD; now that you've outed his inability  to keep secrets "secret" to Capitol

Wasn't anything like secret - if you knew where to look, and had a stupidly retentive memory married to the ability to add two and two and make the result something close to four.  LOL
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:49:25 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx