gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680814 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:15:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting home made mixtape: 1s 2s As Bs  (Read 1730 times)
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:56:43 PM »

I was bored and made a playlist of beach boys tracks that reached number 1 or 2 on the charts somewhere in the world. I also included their b-sides. Completely basing this on the discography info on wikipedia, so it may not be 100% accurate but it is an interesting listen. Gets really crap towards the end there haha.

1s 2s As Bs

1 Surfin' Safari
2 409
3 I Get Around
4 Don't Worry Baby
5 Help Me, Rhonda
6 Kiss Me, Baby
7 Barbara Ann
8 Girl Don't Tell Me
9 Sloop John B
10 You're So Good to Me
11 Wouldn't It Be Nice
12 God Only Knows
13 Good Vibrations
14 Let's Go Away for Awhile
15 Do It Again
16 Wake the World
17 Cottonfields
18 The Nearest Faraway Place
19 Getcha Back
20 Male Ego
21 Wipe Out (with The Fat Boys)
22 Kokomo

Edit: removed 'Tutti Frutti' because it isn't a crappy beach boys cover like I assumed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:01:52 AM by dylz » Logged
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:02:27 PM »

I get that it was the b-side of Kokomo, but it's pointless to end the album with a non Beach Boys track!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:05:38 PM »

Suppose The Beach Boys had covered Tutti Frutti; who would've sung it?

My vote's for Al Jardine.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:58:48 PM »

This mix would get way more interesting if you included a wider range of countries (though I get how this would require more work than just the wikipedia page).  For example, (using a broader-based wikipedia search), Then I Kissed Her was #2 in South Africa, Sweden, and the Netherlands, (b-side Mountain of Love.)  Surfin USA and when I Grow Up to Be a Man, were #1 in Canada, California Girls was no. 2 in Rhodesia and Canada.    Tears in the Morning was #1 in South Africa wasn't it?  Amusement Parks USA only made #3 in Japan, but it does make one wonder what exactly a list of Beach Boys hits in Japan would look like.  Also, didn't Surfin Down the Swannee River make #1 in Sweden?...not that that nec. counts.

Has anyone ever made a beach boys discog. that listed chart positions for a larger group of countries?
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 03:00:57 AM »

Haha I just assumed the Beach Boys did a crappy cover of Tutti Frutti that I hadn't heard (just like I haven't heard Under the Boardwalk). Roll Eyes
Like I said, I was just going by what wikipedia had to offer. A more comprehensive listing would probably prove to be a more interesting read. But as it stands it offers a lot of stuff that most greatest hits" releases do but also includes occasionally overlooked tracks like "The Nearest Faraway Place". I've removed Tutti Frutti from the original post.
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 03:03:39 AM »

If they had covered Tutti Frutti however, I can imagine a Brian Wilson farty synth romp with him on smokey, shouty lead. A sorta Ding Dang / Shortenin' Bread vibe.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:16:21 AM by dylz » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:00:47 AM »

I was bored and made a playlist of beach boys tracks that reached number 1 or 2 on the charts somewhere in the world. I also included their b-sides. Completely basing this on the discography info on wikipedia, so it may not be 100% accurate...

Should be.  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 06:48:48 AM »

Tears in the Morning was #1 in South Africa wasn't it? 

Nope. And this particular 45 is terribly hard to find in RSA. It did go to #6 in the Netherlands though.

In South Africa California Girls, Barbara Ann and Cottonfields were a #1 hit.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 07:18:03 AM »

I was bored and made a playlist of beach boys tracks that reached number 1 or 2 on the charts somewhere in the world. I also included their b-sides. Completely basing this on the discography info on wikipedia, so it may not be 100% accurate...

Should be.  Wink

Sorry. Should've said "may not be 100% complete" as they only show the results for five different charts. Is there a resource for global chart positions of beach boys singles and/or albums?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx