gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:07:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2003 BB Convention Reminiscence Thread  (Read 26091 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2011, 12:23:23 AM »

I would love for an official release of You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling, the unfinished River Deep, or whatever of that 70's synth genre of the band, covers or not...

"River Deep..." isn't that good - it's Brian being shouty and hails from the mid-1980 BW/ML sessions in Santa Barbara.
"And it gets HIGHER!!!!!!!".  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2011, 12:29:09 AM »

Speaking of the '92 convention...wasn't that the one for which Alan Boyd wrote and recorded "Down South In San Diego?"

Love that song!

I first heard it when someone tagged it on to the end of a cassette...way back in the day. Actually, IIRC, it was Alan and some folks talking about the convention, and then playing the track at what appeared to be some sort of college radio station.

Sound familiar?
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2011, 01:34:27 AM »

Hey everyone,

In regards to that whole GET THE BOOT situation - file under "stuff that happened a long time ago."  No lingering hard feelings.

I really have to point out that there's a huge difference between dedicated fans and collectors and musicologists and Wilsonologists discreetly trading tapes.... and bootleggers packaging and selling unreleased material with the intent of making a profit.  I know Pete wasn't out to squeeze a few bucks out of those unreleased tracks, and it's unfortunate that someone he trusted passed what Pete had created along to someone else who apparently DID want to squeeze a few bucks out of other collectors.

There are dedicated fans and collectors out there who have been immensely helpful and to whom we'll always be grateful.  And believe me, if anyone has leads on anything we might be missing, they'll be welcomed with open arms (or "no questions asked," if they prefer).

Thanks,

Alan

PS - I really miss Reverend Bob.

Hey Alan, thanks so much for all the hard work you're doing, have done in the past, and all the hoops you're undoubtedly jumping through to make this project the best it can possibly be.

R.I.P. Bob.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2011, 05:48:00 AM »

Speaking of the '92 convention...wasn't that the one for which Alan Boyd wrote and recorded "Down South In San Diego?"

Love that song!

I first heard it when someone tagged it on to the end of a cassette...way back in the day. Actually, IIRC, it was Alan and some folks talking about the convention, and then playing the track at what appeared to be some sort of college radio station.

Sound familiar?

"Down South..." was for the 1990 gig: the 'theme' for the '92 bash was "Everybody's Waiting". Both available on Alan's excellent Channel Surfin' CD.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2011, 06:12:36 AM »

I was in this audience in 1990 in San Diego. See the guy with a big smile on his face with a 1974 Beach Boys concert shirt on? That's me. Later, I had my picture taken (thanks Les!) with Mr. Wilson by his limo. The picture was enlarged to 8 x 10 and a few years later I asked Brian to sign it for me. He stared at the picture for a few seconds, then looked up at me with a smile before signing it carefully. Now framed behind glass and hanging on the wall, it's one of my favorite prized possessions.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beach+boys+convention+san+diego&aq=f

I looked and looked, but I couldn't see ya for sure; about what time are you visible?  (Are  you the guy with the demented look? )  
Question about the song: Did Brian start live and then switch to singing along with a tape?

Anyway, nice to live in CA where it's easy to attend these things.  How many people would you say were at this convention, watching Brian?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:14:37 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2011, 06:51:46 AM »

Anyway, nice to live in CA where it's easy to attend these things.  How many people would you say were at this convention, watching Brian?

Interesting point: unless I'm missing something there's only been three such conventions in SoCal: the 1979 BBFUN bash and the two ESQ events in 1990 & 1992. Suze Lang held three BB bashes in 2003/05/07 in Connecticut, there was a 2nd BBFUN conv in the midwest in the early 1980s and ESQ held anothergatthering last summer. There was a Dutch BBFC meeting in 1980, and of course from 1979-2009 inclusive there was the annual UK Beach Boys Stomp gathering of the tribes (anything up to 350).

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2011, 07:13:36 AM »

"Down South..." was for the 1990 gig: the 'theme' for the '92 bash was "Everybody's Waiting". Both available on Alan's excellent Channel Surfin' CD.

Thanks for the clarification and info, Andrew!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2011, 07:34:47 AM »

Interesting point: unless I'm missing something there's only been three such conventions in SoCal: the 1979 BBFUN bash and the two ESQ events in 1990 & 1992. Suze Lang held three BB bashes in 2003/05/07 in Connecticut, there was a 2nd BBFUN conv in the midwest in the early 1980s and ESQ held anothergatthering last summer. There was a Dutch BBFC meeting in 1980, and of course from 1979-2009 inclusive there was the annual UK Beach Boys Stomp gathering of the tribes (anything up to 350).

Ouch! 
Nice to live in CA, CT and the UK, taking short vacations to unknown midwest and Dutch locations!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2011, 07:37:55 AM »

Ouch! 
Nice to live in CA, CT and the UK, taking short vacations to unknown midwest and Dutch locations!

Amersfoort.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2011, 07:53:43 AM »

Bless you.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »

There have been several BB conventions or meetings in The Netherlands. I know of several "fan days" in the late 80ies early 90ies, organised by the BBIC (Beach Boys Info Centre) which started in November 1989 and stopped in Feb. 1993, when the last meeting also took place. Nowadays a group of Dutch fans still regularly meets. (http://www.brianwilsonfans.com/)

And how could we forget the German fan club California Saga? They have been organising yearly meetings for many years (early september, this year on Sept. 3rd).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2011, 09:04:24 AM »

Eddy Feiken organised the Amersfoort bash, Easter 1980. I went, it was pretty neat.  Been to BB gatherings in four countries (Endland, Scotland, Netherlands & USA) and two continents.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:05:59 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2011, 09:05:35 AM »

I would love for an official release of You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling, the unfinished River Deep, or whatever of that 70's synth genre of the band, covers or not...

"River Deep..." isn't that good - it's Brian being shouty and hails from the mid-1980 BW/ML sessions in Santa Barbara.
"And it gets HIGHER!!!!!!!".  Grin

Have to disagree- I think it rocks...only wish I had a clean version... Rock!

I like Brian's take on Phil's songs better. Less reverb, more ROCK!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2011, 09:33:25 AM »

What I can't understand is why some label doesn't put out this unreleased material officially. There is money to be made (even if it's via cdbaby), and there is an audience for it (albeit small, and dwindling). As for the worst musical moments being released, I paid good money for Summer In Paradise, so I don't see how Battle Hymn of the Republic is any MORE embarrassing than that.
I'm going to assume that never heard BHOTR or you are another of the deaf Beach Boys fans who frequent this forum. Wink  SIP may have issues, but the singing on it is not one of them. 

I can certainly understand why the band didn't release a lot of this stuff.  Certainly not in the shape it was in when it was booted.
BHOTR is just awful.   That had to be just a bit of noodling around ....never ever meant for release.  I'll bet they're embarrassed!

On the other hand, I love hearing a work in progress like SOT or Brian demos of Love You.  That is listening to a work in progress. That is worth hearing.   More of that would be fine.

Battle Hymm rules! It's the proto wacky "Love You" era arrangements.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »

ESQ held another gatthering last summer.

The Charlotte ESQ event was in September of 2009, an event that was close enough for me to attend. That was fun. David Marks, Billy Hinsche, Dean Torrence, and most of the Surf City AllStars were there.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2011, 10:15:37 AM »

ESQ held another gatthering last summer.

The Charlotte ESQ event was in September of 2009, an event that was close enough for me to attend. That was fun. David Marks, Billy Hinsche, Dean Torrence, and most of the Surf City AllStars were there.

Jeez... I'm old. Time's passing quicker. Thanks.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2011, 10:31:14 AM »

Eddy Feiken organised the Amersfoort bash, Easter 1980. I went, it was pretty neat.  Been to BB gatherings in four countries (Endland, Scotland, Netherlands & USA) and two continents.  Wink

Familiar name. He was also the founder of the  relatively shortlived Dutch BBIC in the late 80ies/early 90ies. Don't know when the fanclub you mentioned started/ended. In the 70ies there was also a Dutch fan club called the Beach Boys Appreciation Society. Don't know how long that one lasted, but as one of the founders of that fan club regularly visits this board, I'm sure we'll get an answer on that.  Smiley

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »

Familiar name. He was also the founder of the  relatively shortlived Dutch BBIC in the late 80ies/early 90ies. Don't know when the fanclub you mentioned started/ended. In the 70ies there was also a Dutch fan club called the Beach Boys Appreciation Society. Don't know how long that one lasted, but as one of the founders of that fan club regularly visits this board, I'm sure we'll get an answer on that.  Smiley

Somewhere in my archives I have a full set of Eddy's Dutch BBFC... think it lasted three, four years.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2011, 07:34:25 PM »

There's only been three such conventions in SoCal: the 1979 BBFUN bash and the two ESQ events in 1990 & 1992. Suze Lang held three BB bashes in 2003/05/07 in Connecticut, there was a 2nd BBFUN conv in the midwest in the early 1980s and ESQ held anothergatthering last summer. There was a Dutch BBFC meeting in 1980, and of course from 1979-2009 inclusive there was the annual UK Beach Boys Stomp gathering of the tribes (anything up to 350).

You forgot about the several West Coast Beach Boys fan conventions in the Bay Area. Hal Blaine was at one of them and told a lot of stories and mingled with the fans and did a book signing. Steve Desper came to another and played unreleased stuff. Good times.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2011, 07:47:38 PM »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:03:22 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2011, 08:01:28 PM »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:03:02 PM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2011, 08:02:22 PM »

Are  you the guy with the demented look?

I was demented at the 1992 convention. I had stayed up all night after eating a big dinner and knocking back pitchers of Foster's with Stephen McParland and Sean MacCreavy and others from the UK who drank like fish as I was struggling to maintain an upright position in my chair. Really good people and a lotta fun to be around.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:13:41 PM by Mikie » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2011, 08:05:17 PM »

Are  you the guy with the demented look?

I was demented at the 1992 convention. I had stayed up all night after eating a big dinner and knocking back pitchers of Foster's with Stephen McParland and Sean MacCreavy and others from the UK who drank like fish as I was struggling to maintain an upright position in my chair. Really good people and a lotta fun to be around.
[/quote]
Quitityerkillingme!

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2011, 08:34:53 PM »

I poo you not, Bgas. I had a blast. Collectors brought collectibles to sell and I bought some good stuff there, including this great 45 called "Landy You Need Me/Games People Play" by the Shocking Shrinks! And I talked to Landy for awhile - he was standing by himself 'cause nobody would talk to him, so I did. He said the next album,  Sweet Insanity was gonna "blow away" Brian Wilson '88. Talked to Marilyn and Diane for awhile..........asked Marilyn the main reason that Smile was aborted.....stuff like that. You shoulda been there, man!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2011, 09:15:03 PM »

I poo you not, Bgas. I had a blast. Collectors brought collectibles to sell and I bought some good stuff there, including this great 45 called "Landy You Need Me/Games People Play" by the Shocking Shrinks! And I talked to Landy for awhile - he was standing by himself 'cause nobody would talk to him, so I did. He said the next album,  Sweet Insanity was gonna "blow away" Brian Wilson '88. Talked to Marilyn and Diane for awhile..........asked Marilyn the main reason that Smile was aborted.....stuff like that. You shoulda been there, man!

Obviously, in retrospect, wish I had.  If memory serves I had given it serious thought, but decided not to; and have no recollection of why, other than maybe $$
Oh well....

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx