gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:36:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Catbirds  (Read 2408 times)
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »

Hey all - just wanted to share a track from my 2010 album Subanimal Sounds. It's called "When you had babies" and it's very Smiley Smile-influenced (at least in my mind). Recorded in sections, hard edits and everything. I hope you like it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3732457/13%20When%20You%20Had%20Babies.mp3.zip

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 06:41:22 AM »

Yeah. The SmileySmile influence is clearly to be heard. Like it. Good vocal-harmonies

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 01:39:55 PM »

This is really cool! I love the part at 0:30...although I HATE cats, that made me smile. Or SMiLE, as it were...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »

What a weird song.  Grin I like it though. I wouldn't mind hearing more from you.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 08:53:21 PM »

What a weird song.  Grin I like it though. I wouldn't mind hearing more from you.  Smiley

Wow, I totally forgot I started this thread 'til now. Thanks all for the replies. Here's another one. It's the title track from my CD Subanimal Sounds. It's weird, and kind of dark, but hey. It's what I've got.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3732457/09%20Subanimal%20Sounds.mp3

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 02:41:37 PM »

Downloading it now. When I had to reinstall Windows last week, one of the things that kinda upset me was thinking I lost the first cut. Thankfully, I had backed it up. Want to hear more of your stuff bro.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 06:06:49 PM »

Downloading it now. When I had to reinstall Windows last week, one of the things that kinda upset me was thinking I lost the first cut. Thankfully, I had backed it up. Want to hear more of your stuff bro.

Well, to you and anyone else who is interested, just PM me your postal address and I'd be happy to send you a CD. Ah, the old fashioned way of doing things.

robertgotshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 04:00:33 PM »

Looks like the link for the Catbirds song is down, unfortunately, so I couldn't listen to it. I did, however, enjoy Subanimal Sounds. Great harmonies and I really like your lyrics. I'll be keeping an eye out for more of your stuff!
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 09:36:51 PM »

I've re-upped the link to When you had babies. It's a song about my cat, who had kittens a year before I met her.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3732457/13%20When%20You%20Had%20Babies.mp3

And I've also posted a few other samples:

Looking Alive is the "radio single" (inasmuch as one exists in some parallel universe) as it were. It's supposed to be a trailer for a biopic of my life that some flavor-of-the-month auteur wrote a screenplay for, and after bouncing around various studios and going through countless rewrites, the executives eventually messed with it so brutally that it bore no resemblance to its original brilliance and went straight to video.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3732457/02%20Looking%20Alive.mp3

Big Black Bear is the story of a hibernating bear that wakes up in spring, only to go back to sleep again. It's probably the least offensive of all my songs and the most consistently liked by all sorts of people. It also has a chorus.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3732457/03%20Big%20Black%20Bear.mp3

The Eternal Meow is bit of a departure from my usual fare, and it's much artier. Stylistically, I was going for Byrds-like harmonies over a My Bloody Valentine bed of sound; whether I achieved that I don't know. Lyrically it's harrowing and direct - a naked statement of discontent with every passing moment (filled simultaneously with brutality, grace, joy, and despair) and the inability to articulate it or to live in it fully. Yes, it's a bit weighty and precious. But that's me I guess. The lyrics are hard to make out, so I'll type them here: On the forest fringe where catbirds with crude and disjointed vowels mimic the Eternal Meow, she wanders quiet and keen. In the instant when she kills the infinitesimal Mouse, words can't catch the cat's dread beauty, nor name the songbird's clear speech. / Alone without words to name this death wish, I'm an Infinite Mouth. Over the far field I'll fly: a word without animal sounds.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3732457/06%20The%20Eternal%20Meow.mp3

Get 'em while they last. And as I said above, if anyone wants the whole album, PM me with your postal address and I'll send it to you as a gift.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:41:13 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx