gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 02:51:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leon Russell/Beach Boys comment  (Read 11058 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:42:05 PM »

At the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony that aired tonight, Elton John was going through a long list of the people Leon played on and included the comment "all of the Beach Boys records---including Pet Sounds." I'm a huge Leon Russell and Elton John fan, really; but that made me laugh. Just thought I'd share it with everyone. From a scroll through c-man's great website, I know he played on:
Do You Wanna Dance
Help Me Ronda
Kiss Me Baby
In the Back of My Mind
Sherri She Needs Me
Salt Lake City
California Girls
Let Him Run Wild

But did he actually play on anything from Pet Sounds??

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:43:19 PM »

Wow, I had no idea he played Beach Boys sessions. I imagine this is a similar sensation to the one people get when they hear that Glenn Campbell did the same thing.

But yeah, in the lists of people who played on Pet Sounds, I'm not seeing anything about Leon Russell.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:44:32 PM by Don_Zabu » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »

Sorry to "hijack" the topic for a moment, but I have a similar question of my own. I once saw an interview with Glenn Campbell where he said that he played on Good Vibrations. Is that true?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:58:52 PM »

Sorry to "hijack" the topic for a moment, but I have a similar question of my own. I once saw an interview with Glenn Campbell where he said that he played on Good Vibrations. Is that true?
Going by Wikipedia, that's a yes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 10:01:09 PM »

It just seemed weird to me. You don't expect somebody like Glenn Campbell to play on that kind of song.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 10:25:04 PM »

Campbell remembers playing on at least five different sessions for Good Vibrations.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:30:12 PM »

TD, wasn't Brian on one of the songs on the Elton John/Leon Russell album released last year?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Day Tripper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:37:07 PM »

A lot of the guys from the Wrecking Crew had a good knowledge of Jazz, and can play anything. Although he doesn't read music, Glen was inspired by jazz guitarist Django Rinehardt. Glen Campbell is a very versatile guitarist. That's him playing on "Just Dropped In" (To See What Condition My Condition was In).  I've heard him play some incredibly blistering licks in jazz, country, bluegrass, and on Classical Gas and the William Tell Overture. Check out his guitar solo on his Beach Boy medley on YouTube.   I think Glen mainly played rhythm guitar on a majority of his Beach Boy sessions. Any info on Beach Boy guitar solos that are specifically Glen?

Leon also wrote "This Masquerade" which was a hit for George Benson. He also was adept at honky tonk country blues.
 It's a shame that you don't hear about popular musicians today having the versatility of those session guys. A bygone era.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:42:59 PM »

Glen played the intro to Dance, Dance, Dance.  I enjoyed listening to him on that session. He kept screwing it up. "Damn it to hell!"
One of the other session guys suggests a replacement for Glen and says, "Brian do you want to call Jerry Cole"? Glen replied, "What are you gonna call him?"  Grin

A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 03:10:44 AM »

It just seemed weird to me. You don't expect somebody like Glenn Campbell to play on that kind of song.  Grin

Or sing on a song like 'My World Fell Down'   Grin
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZf49jYrzH8

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 10:47:27 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZf49jYrzH8

pretty lame

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 10:52:39 AM »

That was lame. As vanilla an arrangement as there could possibly be. You'd think being an ex touring Beach Boy and performing on their records that he would have performed them with a little more care and spirit.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Day Tripper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 11:26:07 AM »

Well, I was commenting on Glen's guitar playing, not that show band arrangement.  If you can improvise a solo like that on guitar, then I tip my hat to you. I'm taking Jazz Theory in college, and many of my professors know of Glen's prowess on the guitar, even if they consider the Beach Boys or Country Music lame.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 12:51:38 PM »

TD, wasn't Brian on one of the songs on the Elton John/Leon Russell album released last year?
Yep, he sings backgrounds on "When Love is Dying." I love that song though critical opinion is divided. Elton said that when Brian came to the studio he and Leon hugged each other for about a minute and a half.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 02:17:16 PM »

I assumed that with Leon a regular with the Wrecking Crew, that he played on a LOT of BeachBoys albums.  And Phil Spector albums as well.

This is one for the data retentive experts on the board. Wink
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »

Yep, he sings backgrounds on "When Love is Dying." I love that song though critical opinion is divided. Elton said that when Brian came to the studio he and Leon hugged each other for about a minute and a half.

in the liner notes it also says that Brian arranged the vocals for that song. Brian's contribution to that song is certainly a very good listen
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 07:23:31 PM »

Glen played the intro to Dance, Dance, Dance. 

Yes...on an acoustic 6-string guitar that doubled the electric 12-string played by Carl Wilson. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 07:25:32 PM »

Not according to the AFM contracts for that song (none of which bear Glen Campbell's name).  You'd think out of the five GV sessions he claims to have played on, at least one or two of the contracts would have his name.   Oh, and there is also no reference to him on any of the GV session tapes that have leaked out.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 10:18:31 PM »

Not according to the AFM contracts for that song (none of which bear Glen Campbell's name).  You'd think out of the five GV sessions he claims to have played on, at least one or two of the contracts would have his name.   Oh, and there is also no reference to him on any of the GV session tapes that have leaked out.

Fascinating - I never thought to check on Glen's name, and his name has been linked to Good Vibrations in several sources, including his own words. I looked at seven available contracts from Good Vibrations dates just for my own curiosity and Glen (or Leon for the record) was listed on none of the seven. To be fair to Glen, and Hal Blaine said this too, the sessions got so mixed up from the first one to the final 45rpm release that they didn't know which takes had been chosen by Brian for the final edits. I had a question:

So there were seven contracts with confirmed dates, plus a few dates without contracts - can we say with authority that Glen was not on *any* GV sessions or are we missing something because no paperwork exists?

I also assumed Glen was on the first version from something written in Brian's autobio but that source is shaky anyway. And I also always assumed there were more sessions for GV than what is logged in, just by reputation and how much it cost to make in 1966 dollars.

Again thanks for a fascinating bit of info, that surprises me quite a bit to not see Glen listed (so far).

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 10:24:58 PM »

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:53:09 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 04:25:34 AM »

According to the individual track credits in the Pet Sounds Sessions box, Russell didn't play on any of the tracks.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 04:28:17 AM »

At the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony that aired tonight, Elton John was going through a long list of the people Leon played on and included the comment "all of the Beach Boys records---including Pet Sounds."

Typical Reg - without even looking at the research, I seriously doubt Leon played on Surfin' Safari, Surfin' USA or Concert !.  Grin

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 05:00:25 AM »

Fascinating - I never thought to check on Glen's name, and his name has been linked to Good Vibrations in several sources, including his own words. I looked at seven available contracts from Good Vibrations dates just for my own curiosity and Glen (or Leon for the record) was listed on none of the seven. To be fair to Glen, and Hal Blaine said this too, the sessions got so mixed up from the first one to the final 45rpm release that they didn't know which takes had been chosen by Brian for the final edits. I had a question:

So there were seven contracts with confirmed dates, plus a few dates without contracts - can we say with authority that Glen was not on *any* GV sessions or are we missing something because no paperwork exists?

I also assumed Glen was on the first version from something written in Brian's autobio but that source is shaky anyway. And I also always assumed there were more sessions for GV than what is logged in, just by reputation and how much it cost to make in 1966 dollars.

Again thanks for a fascinating bit of info, that surprises me quite a bit to not see Glen listed (so far).

Documentation exists for 12 "Good Vibrations" tracking sessions (some under the alternate title "Inspiration").  None have Glen's (or Leon's) name(s) attatched.  Tapes have circulated for all 12 sessions, and their voices can't be heard, nor are they mentioned by name (as many of the musicians are).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 05:47:10 AM »

Known "GV" sessions (yellow = AFM documented):

2/17 - as "#1 - untitled"
4/9
5/4
5/24

5/25 - this session might be spurious: the AFM sheet for the 5/24 session (which granted ran past midnight) is dated the 25th
5/27
6/2 - as "Inspiration"
- 9am-2pm
6/2 - as "Inspiration" - 2pm-5pm
6/12 - as "Inspiration"
6/16 - 1pm-8pm
6/16 - 5pm-9pm
6/18
9/1
9/12 - vocals (obviously, this session, and the next, won't have AFM documentation)
9/21 - vocals
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:51:32 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx