gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:53:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Summer or Endless Bummer ?  (Read 8895 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2006, 07:40:12 AM »

Now, I was under the impression Mike Love either picked out the songs, or made suggestions.  Is that incorrect?

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2006, 07:59:50 AM »

Now, I was under the impression Mike Love either picked out the songs, or made suggestions.  Is that incorrect?

My understanding, based on a Mike interview, is no one in the group had any input into that; they weren't asked by Cap.   Is there more to the story? Or am I confused?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »

I think "Good Vibrations" fits perfectly on Endless Summer. For years that song was near the top of the list of songs that "shoulda been on there" including "Your Summer Dream", "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Sloop John B".

It's just that "Endless Summer" originally covered 1962 to 1965 quite well which is of a period for the band in a sense. Now on the CD you suddenly skip "Pet Sounds" altogether and go straight into "Good Vibrations" (simply because it was a hit). In the 70s and 80s, the whole "20 Golden Greats" concept tended to obscure the incredible progression the band made from '62 through '66 and beyond. Historically, the Beatles were always revered for going from "Please, Please Me" to "Strawberry Fields Forever" in four and a half years. But, of course, going from "Surfin' Safari" to "Good Vibrations" in the same time period was equally astounding. The constant emphasis on hits packages put "God Only Knows" and "409" on the same level in the minds of many. The two-fer reissues in 1990 and the "30 Years" box set did a lot to give this material a historical perspective, which I suspect gave many of us here a context to appreciate the artistry of the work.
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2006, 04:50:19 PM »

Creatively, it KILLED any idea of the Beach Boys attempting to create any relevant material. After the success of the album they were forever chasing the almighty "Beach band in a time warp" dollar.

However, it was one of the first albums I ever bought and it helped me "discover" The Beach Boys!

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2006, 05:08:20 PM »

I think "Good Vibrations" fits perfectly on Endless Summer. For years that song was near the top of the list of songs that "shoulda been on there" including "Your Summer Dream", "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Sloop John B".

It's just that "Endless Summer" originally covered 1962 to 1965 quite well which is of a period for the band in a sense. Now on the CD you suddenly skip "Pet Sounds" altogether and go straight into "Good Vibrations" (simply because it was a hit).

I see what you're saying, Roger. That's why I also INCLUDED "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Sloop John B" on my "wish list" for Endless Summer. I WOULD NOT have skipped Pet Sounds. If you're going to include "Let Him Run Wild" and even "California Girls", just go one more step and include the 1966 songs.

For me, the cutoff for the "early years", or the "fun in the sun" years, has always been "Good Vibrations". The time period is usually 1962-1966.

I'm sometimes tempted to include "Darlin'" or "Do It Again", but that IS taking it too far ahead...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2006, 07:56:47 AM »

Last summer I've finally bought an original LP of Endless Summer at a used record store and I immediately got hooked again on all of their hits from the early days. It's easy to talk about that compilation in a dismissive fashion as long as you haven't experienced the whole thing yourself. Many fans tend to view it as the main contribution to the Beach Boys' creative downfall, but personally I think that in a strange way Endless Summer and Holland fit each other quite perfectly. Reminds me of the far-too-short snapshot of the group doing "Fun, Fun, Fun" in their early seventies hippie looks on the Endless Harmony documentary. Perhaps "It's OK" should have been a single in 1974. Always wondered why that didn't happen, 'cause it sure would have been huge. And then they could have gone on in a way more suitable to their talents than 15 Big Ones...
L Ransford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2006, 08:47:56 AM »

I heard this in 1976 when I was 13. Not being very familiar with the group except for hearing the common radio staples growing up, it gave me the impression that all the group ever did was dated car, school, and surf songs. It was an unbalanced view of the catalog for us young teens to hear and judge by. Capitol even pulled "Barbara Ann" and "Surfin USA" as "new" singles. This could have had something to do with Reprise having the latter Capitol material at the time(?) To make matters worse we (mid-seventies kids) all became familiar with "Good Vibrations" as a Todd Rundgren hit and then as a overly-played Sunkist jingle. Thank goodness the kids today get to have more comprehensive hits collections that don't cut off after 1965.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx