gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:26:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Summer or Endless Bummer ?  (Read 8932 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2006, 01:34:37 PM »

What do you think, as the release and succes of ES good for the Beach Boys or was it really the begin of the downfall like it's been said many times. What did ES do for and against the BBs?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 01:40:18 PM »

It was ridiculously good for them.  All it did was cause millions and millions of people to pay attention to them, and the appropriate fraction were impressed enough to follow up and discover more.  You might as well ask if the high attendance at the Beach Boys/Chicago shows hurt the band.

The direct result on their recording career was 15 Big Ones- but that's no more than a blip on their legacy.  If we'd gotten another Carl And the Passions instead it would have made little or no difference in the long run.  They only had two great albums left in them- Love You and Pacific Ocean Blue, and we got both of those.  The unreleased tracks are left to warm the winters that remain...

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 01:43:01 PM »

I don't own the album but I once made a CD from the tracklist of it. It's an interesting little insight into their world and i'm sure it bagged many a fan.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 04:43:43 PM »

It bagged me back in the 70's

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 06:53:31 PM »

It bagged me back in the 70's

A lot of people can say the same.  And how about some love for the incredible song selection?  Somehow, against all odds, it seemed to please nearly everyone (except maybe in using the wrong "Help Me, Rhonda").  A dazzling hits collection that also featured "Warmth Of The Sun",  "Girl Don't Tell Me", "Wendy", "Girls On The Beach", "You're So Good To Me", and "Let Him Run Wild".  It seemed to elevate those tracks to a well-deserved elite status with the general public. 

And somehow they left enough over ("Dance, Dance Dance", "When I Grow Up", "Little Honda", "Custom Machine", "Break Away", and for God's sake "Please Let Me Wonder" and "Good To My Baby") for another grand slam.  And they didn't even touch Pet Sounds, "Good Vibrations", "Darlin', "Do It Again", etc. until the third entry.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 07:33:56 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 12:19:39 PM »

I disagree with Capitol adding "Good Vibrations" to the CD reissue of the album as that song is completely out of place with the other summer themed tracks (I feel the same way about "Breakaway" on the original "Spirit Of America" - although I was happy to have it on an LP!).
Zack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 08:33:24 PM »

I loved it.  Played it over and over when I was 10.  It's "security music" like grilled cheese sandwiches and Campbell's tomato soup is security food.

"I experimented myself right out of action."
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 02:31:33 AM »

It was great for them!  What they did with that success is another issue and their own responsibility.  IMO they didn't have to take quite such a relentlessly populist career path.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 04:12:11 AM »

Commercially speaking it was the best thing that could've happened, creatively and artistically speaking the worst.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 05:55:24 AM »

And personally, i loved - and, indeed, still love - it.  I was fascinated by the cartoonish cover, and blown away by the sounds...still am.  One of the great Greatest Hits collections of all time.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 06:02:46 AM »

BTW anyone has the front and back cover of ES ? I just have a version where the BBs are pictured on the beach around SS/WH. Never really saw the original covers in all their *beauty* 

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 06:04:01 AM »

I have ES on vinyl at home, I can check after work.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 06:05:00 AM »

Thanks!!

- Jack Rieley
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 06:06:58 AM »

LOVED IT!  Hooked me!

As far is it being blamed for killing the progressive side of the BBoys...rubbish.  They still made Love You, right?  It probably saved them.  Brian might have died, Mike Love may have gone into selling used cars.  Actually, they probably would have become a rock, roll and remember moldies oldies act without it.  Instead they filled STADIUMS!!

L O V E   I T!!!!

Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 05:28:09 PM »

Monster lp.  Their career would have been different without it...and not for the better IMO.  That being said....Mike and the guys saw $$$ in them oldies...thus the change to an oldies heavy format.
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 07:45:51 PM »

Great LP. #1 for a while. Turned a lot of 70's listeners on to the BB'S...nice collection of tunes

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 08:33:25 PM »

BTW anyone has the front and back cover of ES ? I just have a version where the BBs are pictured on the beach around SS/WH. Never really saw the original covers in all their *beauty* 

Here you go.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 08:35:59 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 08:37:26 PM »

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 08:39:13 PM »

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 09:07:28 PM »

LOVED IT!  Hooked me!

As far is it being blamed for killing the progressive side of the BBoys...rubbish.  They still made Love You, right?  It probably saved them.  Brian might have died, Mike Love may have gone into selling used cars.  Actually, they probably would have become a rock, roll and remember moldies oldies act without it.  Instead they filled STADIUMS!!

L O V E   I T!!!!

I agree,  ES only gave more exposure to their "progressive" music which followed, not less.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 09:45:09 PM »

Sentimentally, I've always loved the cover art, and looking at those pictures it just occurred to me that four posters of the four Beatles that I had as a kid, issued by Capitol for the tenth anniversary of the Beatles in America in 1974 and given away in record stores when Beatles albums were sold, were almost certainly done by the same artist.  I wonder who it was?

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 05:47:06 AM »

Thanks Chuck !!!  Funny covers!

- Jack Rieley
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006, 06:07:58 AM »

You are welcome.  Still one of the most important "best ofs" ever released, for any band. 

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2006, 07:22:16 AM »

Endless Summer was the first, and greatest, "bringing the Beach Boys back into the public consciousness" in their entire career. I don't blame the fact that they couldn't capitalize on it on the album itself. I tend to look at the drugs, lack of direction, lack of great material, etc. There were other (albeit lesser) opportunities in the ensuing years: Come Go With Me and The Beach Boys Medley were fluke hits, the James Watt controversy/July 4th concerts, Wipe Out w/ The Fat Boys, Kokomo, and a TV series in the late 80's. The Beach Boys didn't capitalize on those either.

Two quick points: I think "Good Vibrations" fits perfectly on Endless Summer. For years that song was near the top of the list of songs that "shoulda been on there" including "Your Summer Dream", "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Sloop John B".

I, too, have a sentimental feeling about the Endless Summer cover art. But I could never figure out the drawings/portraits of the guys. How could the group approve those pictures. Or maybe they weren't shown them ahead of time. The Beach Boys were good-looking guys, even in their 30's. I could barely tell who was who from those pictures. They're scary looking!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2006, 07:36:22 AM »

Endless Summer was the first, and greatest, "bringing the Beach Boys back into the public consciousness" in their entire career. I don't blame the fact that they couldn't capitalize on it on the album itself. I tend to look at the drugs, lack of direction, lack of great material, etc. There were other (albeit lesser) opportunities in the ensuing years: Come Go With Me and The Beach Boys Medley were fluke hits, the James Watt controversy/July 4th concerts, Wipe Out w/ The Fat Boys, Kokomo, and a TV series in the late 80's. The Beach Boys didn't capitalize on those either.

Two quick points: I think "Good Vibrations" fits perfectly on Endless Summer. For years that song was near the top of the list of songs that "shoulda been on there" including "Your Summer Dream", "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Sloop John B".

I, too, have a sentimental feeling about the Endless Summer cover art. But I could never figure out the drawings/portraits of the guys. How could the group approve those pictures. Or maybe they weren't shown them ahead of time. The Beach Boys were good-looking guys, even in their 30's. I could barely tell who was who from those pictures. They're scary looking!

I don't think the Boys had anything to do with or say about ES really for good or bad did they, it was all Capitol, beyond Cap's acceptance of Mike's suggestion for the title of the already compiled comp. 

Not to derail but to illuminate:  what other groups have had an equivalent career reviving album/comp?  Should this be a separate but complimentary thread? I'll do that.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx