gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 02:50:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Band comments on the new SMiLE release:  (Read 5722 times)
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2011, 09:13:17 AM »

http://www.antimusic.com/news/11/march/16Beach_Boys_SMiLE_Release_Confirmed.shtml

"I'm thrilled that The Beach Boys' original studio sessions for SMiLE will be released for the first time, after all these years," says Brian Wilson. "I'm looking forward to this collection of the original recordings and having fans hear the beautiful angelic voices of the boys in a proper studio release."

"One of my favorite songs from the SMiLE sessions is 'Wonderful'," says Mike Love. "The song truly lives up to its title, as do many of the tracks on SMiLE. Cousin Brian was at his creative peak during those sessions. I'm unaware of anything that comes close in pop music."

"I recently played some of my personal acetates from the SMiLE sessions and they held up really well," says Al Jardine. "We would come home from touring and go straight into the studio to record. Brian couldn't wait to show us his latest ideas. We were recording SMiLE and Pet Sounds material simultaneously, so the tracks and vocals all have the same great quality. Most of the vocals were done at Columbia Studios in Hollywood, across the street from Western Studios, where most of the tracking was done."

"For me, it's always been about the way Brian Wilson brilliantly composed and 'voiced' his amazing chord progressions and melodies," says Bruce Johnston. "SMiLE really made me smile!"

"Personally, I loved it," the late Carl Wilson said in 1994 of the SMiLE sessions (from the Don Was-directed documentary, Brian Wilson: I Just Wasn't Made For These Times).

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is," the late Dennis Wilson told a journalist in 1966 of the planned SMiLE album.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:15:30 AM »

Did we really need another thread about this?  Roll Eyes
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »

Did we really need another thread about this?  Roll Eyes

Probably not, but we could post links to new interviews with the guys for the release in this thread. That way they don't get lost in the others

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:25:09 AM »

Good point.  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »

http://www.antimusic.com/news/11/march/16Beach_Boys_SMiLE_Release_Confirmed.shtml

"I'm thrilled that The Beach Boys' original studio sessions for SMiLE will be released for the first time, after all these years," says Brian Wilson. "I'm looking forward to this collection of the original recordings and having fans hear the beautiful angelic voices of the boys in a proper studio release."

"One of my favorite songs from the SMiLE sessions is 'Wonderful'," says Mike Love. "The song truly lives up to its title, as do many of the tracks on SMiLE. Cousin Brian was at his creative peak during those sessions. I'm unaware of anything that comes close in pop music."

"I recently played some of my personal acetates from the SMiLE sessions and they held up really well," says Al Jardine. "We would come home from touring and go straight into the studio to record. Brian couldn't wait to show us his latest ideas. We were recording SMiLE and Pet Sounds material simultaneously, so the tracks and vocals all have the same great quality. Most of the vocals were done at Columbia Studios in Hollywood, across the street from Western Studios, where most of the tracking was done."

"For me, it's always been about the way Brian Wilson brilliantly composed and 'voiced' his amazing chord progressions and melodies," says Bruce Johnston. "SMiLE really made me smile!"

"Personally, I loved it," the late Carl Wilson said in 1994 of the SMiLE sessions (from the Don Was-directed documentary, Brian Wilson: I Just Wasn't Made For These Times).

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is," the late Dennis Wilson told a journalist in 1966 of the planned SMiLE album.

Point of order - the last two comments are not about the new release.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 12:16:19 PM »

Dang, I was hoping for more complete versions of the seance interviews if those were recent quotes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 01:02:39 PM »

Dang, I was hoping for more complete versions of the seance interviews if those were recent quotes.

Life sucks sometimes.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:57:39 PM »

From Bruce on the BBB Board
http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1300128127&user=bellagio

Re(2): Official SMiLE announcement from Capitol/EMI Records
Posted on March 14, 2011 at 07:42:07 PM by Bruce Johnston

I'm looking forward to having SMiLE recordings that are of the original high musical and sonic standard that they were recorded in instead of scratchy acetates from too many years ago that 'live' in my collection. The compilation producers are Mark Linett and Alan Boyd who both have a deep loyalty to the musical and historical value of 'everything Beach Boys.'
As the original creator and producer of this amazing recorded music is Brian Wilson, it gives Mark and Alan a wonderful opportunity to be involved in the restoration and packaging of a most important American pop music treasure.

Bruce Johnston
London
March 14, 2011

More from Bruce on the BBB Board

"Jasper:
I totally understand everyone's excitement about the possibility of 'officially' hearing Brian's original SMILE recordings but I suspect that Brian 'back in the day' never knew how it would turn out because he never finished recording and assembling his incredible recordings.
What we have all heard so far is truly a musical marvel and his fairly recent solo album SMILE re-recording was certainly of great interest to a lot true fans all over the world. FYI: My favorite solo SMILE 'recording' of Brian's is the Bristol, England, DVD bootleg!
It will be fascinating to see what Alan Boyd & Mark Linett uncover from a few acetates to full fidelity original SMILE tapes. I do not personally know Mark but I do know Alan and I expect the best possible SMILE release from their efforts as compilation producers (Brian Wilson is of course the overall original SMILE producer though that album was never finished or released).
Jasper, you should view me only as a devoted Brian Wilson & Beach Boys music fan that happens to be in the band and please realize that I have nothing to do with the musical composing or production of SMILE. I'm just waiting to see how it all turns out!

Bruce Johnston
London
March 15, 2011"

"J Hammond:
I am only an applauding bystander at this point.

Bruce Johnston
London
March 15, 2011 "
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:00:24 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 07:22:31 PM »

Bruce Johnston, promoting a bootleg? Now, why doesn't that sound right to me?  Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 07:38:18 PM »

Have any of the Beach Boys say when this is gonna be released?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 08:19:19 PM »

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1300128127&user=bellagio

I'm looking forward to having SMiLE recordings that are of the original high musical and sonic standard that they were recorded in instead of scratchy acetates from too many years ago that 'live' in my collection. The compilation producers are Mark Linett and Alan Boyd who both have a deep loyalty to the musical and historical value of 'everything Beach Boys.'
As the original creator and producer of this amazing recorded music is Brian Wilson, it gives Mark and Alan a wonderful opportunity to be involved in the restoration and packaging of a most important American pop music treasure.

To me, this begs the question: Has Bruce decided that his acetates are too scratchy to use, no matter what is on them, and hasn't/won't let anyone else listen to them?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 08:28:08 PM »

To me, this begs the question: Has Bruce decided that his acetates are too scratchy to use, no matter what is on them, and hasn't/won't let anyone else listen to them?

you're reading far too in that.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »

Bruce is such a Smile freak, he's worn those puppies out.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 11:15:44 PM »

Yes, Al Jardine.  He said, "Capitol Records plans to issue a Beach Boys version of Smile sometime this summer..."

"This summer" could mean June to September.

Capitol hasn't confirmed that, but Al turned out to be right about the project happening, so I have no reason to doubt him on this.

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 05:07:13 AM »

Yes, Al Jardine.  He said, "Capitol Records plans to issue a Beach Boys version of Smile sometime this summer..."

"This summer" could mean June to September.

Capitol hasn't confirmed that, but Al turned out to be right about the project happening, so I have no reason to doubt him on this.

If Al's speaking, "this summer" could very well mean a single cdr-only release in four years' time.

But I'm glad Mike has an opportunity and a public forum to praise SMiLE. It is great work and he should express his admiration after all these years. He's taken enough stick for Smile's downfall that he should bask in the praise for the stellar work he did actually do on the songs.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 06:02:43 AM »

Bruce Johnston, promoting a bootleg? Now, why doesn't that sound right to me?  Roll Eyes

He's mentioned that particular DVD since about 4 days after the gig in question.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 08:27:33 AM »

So what is/was Bruce doing in London this week?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 08:28:21 AM »

Ummm... playing with his band ?

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »

private band gigs....

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »

"It will be fascinating to see what Alan Boyd & Mark Linett uncover from a few acetates to full fidelity original SMILE tapes. I do not personally know Mark but I do know Alan and I expect the best possible SMILE release from their efforts as compilation producers (Brian Wilson is of course the overall original SMILE producer though that album was never finished or released)."

What Bruce Johnston said.  Alan Boyd is an unsung hero in the Beach Boys' story for sure...if SMILE gets screwed up it will be in spite of his efforts, not because of them.

I just realized last night I had a dream where I had a beer with Bruce Johnston.  I REALLY need to not be on this board so much....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 12:06:13 PM »

"It will be fascinating to see what Alan Boyd & Mark Linett uncover from a few acetates to full fidelity original SMILE tapes. I do not personally know Mark but I do know Alan and I expect the best possible SMILE release from their efforts as compilation producers (Brian Wilson is of course the overall original SMILE producer though that album was never finished or released)."

What Bruce Johnston said.  Alan Boyd is an unsung hero in the Beach Boys' story for sure...if SMILE gets screwed up it will be in spite of his efforts, not because of them.

I just realized last night I had a dream where I had a beer with Bruce Johnston.  I REALLY need to not be on this board so much....

Pacifico, I trust.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »

I just realized last night I had a dream where I had a beer with Bruce Johnston. 
A sequel to the Mickey Dolenz song, no? Grin

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »

Carl; in 81'

Brian just couldn't thread it together, he couldn't make that full cycle and tie it all together. How finished was it? Half, I suppose. At that time, it just seemed inconceivable to spend two years on an album. Just think: two years before, they wanted three albums a year. If people heard the Smile tapes today, they'd hear a lot of themes that keep cycling back on each other. A lot of tunes were interchangeable; you could take a section out of one and put it in another.

To get that album out, someone would have needed willingness and perseverance to corral all of us. Everybody was so loaded on pot and hash all of the time that it's no wonder the project didn't get done. Brian was getting fragmented, starting to have difficulty completing things. And it was also a thing of, "What if it didn't turn out to be great, what if it had totally flopped?" That would have completely destroyed him. We would have lost him forever in terms of having any communication with him.

In the middle of all this, Brian just said, "I can't do this. We're going to make a homespun version of it instead. We're just going to take it easy. I'll get in the pool and sing. Or let's go in the gym and do our parts." That was Smiley Smile. I've always said that Smiley Smile was the bunt, and Smile was the home run. A lot of Smile songs were on Smiley Smile but they didn't sound the same at all. The melodies were similar, but the versions were more laid back. Maybe we'd do the melody, but nothing would be there of the original production. Brian had given up and didn't want to know about it. So we just had fun.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:10:15 PM by 18thofMay » Logged

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 07:07:23 AM »

We're going to make a homespun version of it instead.

Very interesting to note that Carl called it a version of what Brian wanted Smile to be and not just a record with the same songs.

Thanks for posting that quote! It was new to me

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 07:24:06 AM »

Agreed, That is a really cool quote. Thanks for bringing it to the discussion.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx