gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:33:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Add vocals only where lyrics are of 1960's vintage  (Read 22026 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2011, 03:54:03 PM »

not putting the 68 cabin on disc one would be really stupid i think.  I know we wanna stay historically accurate, but 2 years is close enough.  they're trying to put together a one disc album as best they can with what they got.  NOT putting it on there is almost irresponsible.  i think even brian would give a "what the hell are you talking about" if there was a suggestion of not using that vocal. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2011, 03:56:53 PM »

...and Ron, it is not so much about the amount of years as it is about the shape of their voices. Up through Carl's work on Surf's Up in 1971, there is little change in their voices. Three years later though, you start to hear real changes in the voices of Brian, Dennis and Mike. If it is finally decided to use later vocals, then they have to be vocals that match to the 1966 vocal sessions for continuity sake.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2011, 04:38:50 PM »

^^ You're being subjective again.  It's just your opinion... therefore it's inherently not fair.  The only fair, objective way to do it is to not use anything after the album was abandoned. 

It's not my opinion that they abandoned the album in 1967.  It's not my opinion that they didn't record the cabinessence or Surf's Up lead before they dropped the album.  There's a clearly drawn deliniating line there. 

I like the Live version of Heroes and Villians on that live album they put it out.  Hell, lets mix it into disc 1.   That's my subjective opinion.  Lets put it in there because to me it sounds better, and also, the band still sounded good then! 

If it's cool to put vocals done years later on the album, then it's cool to put vocals done years later on the album.  Hopefully Mike is recording the lead to "I wanna be around" as we speak. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2011, 04:39:39 PM »

May I also point out that just because you don't understand something, doesn't make it Rediculous.  It just makes you stubborn. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »

Hey! I just thought of a great idea.  They still have Brian's vocal tracks from the 2004 album, just throw those on there.  OH WAIT, is 2004 past the line we're imagining and making up? 

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2011, 04:55:56 PM »

Hey! I just thought of a great idea.  They still have Brian's vocal tracks from the 2004 album, just throw those on there.  OH WAIT, is 2004 past the line we're imagining and making up? 

Carol Kaye: No, Of course not. That's just your Imagination, Running away With You

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »

Brian 2011 does not sound like Brian 1966. Carl 1968 does sound like Carl 1966. I don't care about time, I care about it sounding consistent. I care that the casual fan gets a chance to hear completed tracks on Disc 1. Disc 1 is supposed to be as close to a completed album, as possible. There will be 3 other discs to have what you want. It is to the point of stupid to go through this exercise.  We all know that it will most likely be want Brian wants anyway. Plus, I'm sure they want all 6 members represented on Disc 1. It is a Beach Boys release. Anyway, like Brian with Smile, I'm losing interest in this subject real fast. Ron, make sure you pass your last post (#54) on to Misters Linett & Boyd. They probably need a good chuckle this evening.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2011, 01:21:35 AM »

God only knows how fervently I (and everyone here of course) wish that, at the very least, the "Sandwich Isles" lyrics from DYLW, and the "Great Shape" & "Barnyard" vocals in other than Humble Harv form (which I assume is a term for the H & V demo on the Endless Harmony soundtrack), synched to their respective tracks, had been recorded in '66! Stating the obvious, I know, but to paraphrase Dr.Smith, "THE PAIN, THE PAIN...." Cry

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2011, 01:29:18 AM »

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:20:54 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2011, 03:40:48 AM »

not putting the 68 cabin on disc one would be really stupid i think.  I know we wanna stay historically accurate, but 2 years is close enough.  they're trying to put together a one disc album as best they can with what they got.  NOT putting it on there is almost irresponsible.  i think even brian would give a "what the hell are you talking about" if there was a suggestion of not using that vocal. 

But we already have the 68 Cabin - I'd rather hear what was the state of the song when the Smile sessions ended.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2011, 04:47:20 AM »

I am completely against the idea of 2011 vocals being slapped on the old recordings, but something just occurred to me...

If the DID record them, then decided against releasing them, we would be falling all over each other trying to get bootlegged versions of these tracks.

Ironic, no? Huh

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2011, 05:34:21 AM »

You know what, I'm game for new vocals if they be done well...

You killed the idea right there.  Grin

Nice one and spot on

Cheers

Richard
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2011, 06:09:41 AM »

Mark and Alan will have to define some parameters; it will be interesting to see what they are and how they defined them.

To me the list would define the cd 1 comp. The era would define the sessions sides. In the sessions sides the list would define the bulk also but there would be a seperate collection of leftovers, like HGS, Hoildays, field recordings, skits. The era would end before ILTSDD but it and the other 'tweeners would be near-era bonus tracks.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2011, 07:59:27 AM »

I know this can all change in a blink of an eye, but really, do not  think that you are going to get Smile as the 2-sided LP as slated in 1967. If it stays 3-sides as now planned, it has to be longer than originally planned. Disc 1 is not only the 1966 Smile tracks, it is also an album presentation of those tracks. I am not going to let myself get hung up over these changes. I'm just going to accept this as the way Brian wants it, now. I don't think he looks at this in the same historical context that a lot of us here do. I know I'll be happy no matter what they do.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:01:32 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »

A number of heavier gram vinyl albums getting released these days put less music on each side to increase fidelity. U2's THE JOSHUA TREE (a single album in '87) has now been issued on two discs with three songs per side. Perhaps the SMiLE vinyl will be 39 minutes of music, 13 minutes per side?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2011, 10:19:20 AM »

That's what I mean. The original Smile track listing on the cover was approx. 28-30 mins of music. I'm guessing they will be expanding on or adding material that may or may not have been on the intended original version.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2011, 11:24:38 AM »

That's what I mean. The original Smile track listing on the cover was approx. 28-30 mins of music. I'm guessing they will be expanding on or adding material that may or may not have been on the intended original version.

I was trying to offer you some hope that the release could be closer to the proposed original album length!

Let's try this: the three sides of vinyl may contain no more that 10 minutes of music each...or maybe this SMiLE release will be shorter than FRIENDS and only contain about 7 minutes of music per side of vinyl.  Wink
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »

where does the 28-30 come from?( I don't recall any track lengths being listed)  
 I figure 3 to 3-1/2 minutes per selection X 12 which means 36-42 minutes for the original.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2011, 02:04:05 PM »

where does the 28-30 come from?( I don't recall any track lengths being listed) 
 I figure 3 to 3-1/2 minutes per selection X 12 which means 36-42 minutes for the original.
It was just based on a typical LP with an average of 14 to 15 mins per side.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2011, 02:42:46 PM »

Pet Sounds was, what, 36 1/2 minutes?  I can't imagine why anyone would think Smile would be shorter than that given the amount of material available.  Remember that most of their earlier albums were so rushed that BW sometimes resorted to using non-music tracks like Bull Session to fill them out.  No such problems with Smile.

Hasn't the consensus been that the technology of the time would have allowed for an LP of up to about 45 minutes without a significant loss in sound quality?
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2011, 02:28:43 AM »

I know this can all change in a blink of an eye, but really, do not  think that you are going to get Smile as the 2-sided LP as slated in 1967. If it stays 3-sides as now planned, it has to be longer than originally planned. Disc 1 is not only the 1966 Smile tracks, it is also an album presentation of those tracks. I am not going to let myself get hung up over these changes. I'm just going to accept this as the way Brian wants it, now. I don't think he looks at this in the same historical context that a lot of us here do. I know I'll be happy no matter what they do.

I could be way off but I get the feeling from the press relese and interviews that Brian might not be that involved with putting this thing together. I'm sure he'll have to sign off on it and may insist on some changes but I don't get the impression this box is "his baby" or anything.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »

Mark refers to him in the interview. The 3-sided Smile is Brian. I'm sure as they assemble a track listing that Brian will be involved in not only song selection, but sequencing, as well. Unless they go verbatim with BWPS, who else would know better that Mark or Alan could turn to? Brian may not be involved in the day to day work, but he's involved. He has to be. This is his legacy, as well as The Beach Boys, on the line.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2011, 02:40:44 PM »

Mark refers to him in the interview. The 3-sided Smile is Brian. I'm sure as they assemble a track listing that Brian will be involved in not only song selection, but sequencing, as well. Unless they go verbatim with BWPS, who else would know better that Mark or Alan could turn to? Brian may not be involved in the day to day work, but he's involved. He has to be. This is his legacy, as well as The Beach Boys, on the line.

Really?  I didn't take it that way;  I took it that Alan and Mark would develop what they feel will be the best of everything, and then get the approvals of Brian and the BBs, but without specific input into all of it, unless something just doesn't feel right to someone/ Brian
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 03:21:55 PM by bgas » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2011, 03:18:17 PM »

So this is The Beach Boys Smile as Mark & Alan envision it? That is not what I read in Mark's interview.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2011, 04:34:40 PM »

So this is The Beach Boys Smile as Mark & Alan envision it? That is not what I read in Mark's interview.

You're probably right, and I disremembered it.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx