gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681515 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 03:35:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stan Ross 1929-2011  (Read 4041 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: March 15, 2011, 04:30:00 AM »

Gold Star Studio co-founder and engineer Stan Ross passed away last night.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:20:11 AM »

Gold Star Studio co-founder and engineer Stan Ross passed away last night.

Don't know him, but these people that rarely enter the spotlight are cornerstones.

R.I.P. mr Ross.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 06:29:15 AM »

Sad to hear this, very sad. Thought it appropriate to post a photo of Stan at the Gold Star board which created all those glorious records, since he's one of the behind-the-scenes folks essential to 60's popular music who isn't seen nearly as much as his name is listed in album credits.

Take a few minutes to listen to something as obvious as "I Got You Babe", focus in on the sounds of each instrument and the overall texture of that record, and realize just how good this man was at his job.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 06:48:22 AM »

Sad to hear this, very sad. Thought it appropriate to post a photo of Stan at the Gold Star board which created all those glorious records, since he's one of the behind-the-scenes folks essential to 60's popular music who isn't seen nearly as much as his name is listed in album credits.

Take a few minutes to listen to something as obvious as "I Got You Babe", focus in on the sounds of each instrument and the overall texture of that record, and realize just how good this man was at his job.

So Stan wakes up at 6 AM every day now in snowy Punxatawney?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 06:59:01 AM »

I'm sorry, I'm not getting the reference. Please fill me in!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 07:04:18 AM »

I Got You, Babe was the song that the main character wakes up at 6Am too in the Bill Murray movie Groundhog Day.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 07:07:05 AM »

I'm sorry, I'm not getting the reference. Please fill me in!

'I Got You Babe' is the running gag in the great comedy movie 'Groundhog Day'. Every day, Bill Murray, playing a grouchy and self-centered weather forecaster, wakes up in some family hotel in Punxatawney, where a groundhog is expected to come out of its hiding and predict the weather for the next 6 weeks in some obscure way. It is midwinter, BTW.
I won't reveal any more, because it is a fantastic film. The song by Sonny and Cher is crucial in understanding Murray's predicament and annoyance.
See it!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 07:16:26 AM »

Grin Grin Grin That would explain it, I have not seen the film Groundhog Day! Thanks for pointing that out, I was seriously scratching my head trying to figure out what Punxatawney had to do with this (I'm from Pennsylvania but hours from Punxatawney... Smiley)

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »

I'm not sure where you reside now, but there are cable channels that run that movie for 24 hrs every Groundhog's Day. Rent it or look for it next year. It's a pretty enjoyable movie.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 08:42:15 AM »

I'm not sure where you reside now, but there are cable channels that run that movie for 24 hrs every Groundhog's Day. Rent it or look for it next year. It's a pretty enjoyable movie.

Don't WAiT!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 09:34:24 AM »

More than 100 Top 40 hits were recorded at the Hollywood facility,
home of Phil Spector's 'Wall of Sound' technique.

By Valerie J. Nelson, Los Angeles Times

March 17, 2011

Producer-engineer Stan Ross, who co-founded Hollywood's Gold Star Recording Studio, which has a storied place in rock history as the home of Phil Spector's innovative "Wall of Sound" technique, has died. He was 82.

Ross died Friday at Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank of complications following surgery for aneurysms, his family said.

"Stan was born with a musical ear," said David Gold, an engineer who co-founded Gold Star with Ross in 1950 when both were barely out of their teens. "He would come up with ideas for people who were recording, things that had never been tried before."

Many of the more than 100 Top 40 hits recorded at Gold Star benefited from Ross' creativity and inventiveness, Gold said.

The recordings were as diverse as Ritchie Valens' "La Bamba," the Champs' "Tequila," Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues," Iron Butterfly's "In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida," Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" and the Beach Boys' classic 1966 album "Pet Sounds." Ross contributed the "saw" sound on the band's "Good Vibrations," said Lisa Sheridan, a screenwriter who worked with Ross.

While Buffalo Springfield was recording the 1967 hit single "For What It's Worth," Ross said "you gotta do this one thing to the drum" and mixed in the sound "of a guitar pick goin' through a broom, on the straw," band member Neil Young recalled in the 2007 book "Tearing Down the Wall of Sound."

Young considered Ross one of the "geniuses of the music business," according to the book.

Ross mentored a young Spector, who named one of the studio's echo chambers "the Wall of Sound" as he learned to expertly manipulate the effect. He used it to bring depth to such monumental hits as the Crystals' "Da Doo Ron Ron," the Ronettes' "Be My Baby" and the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'."

During the 1965 recording of Jewel Akens' "The Birds and the Bees," Ross patched the session guitarist into an organ speaker to create an effect called "chorusing," Gold said.

Herb Alpert, who made his first six albums at the studio, told The Times in 1984 that a song could seem "terrible" but end up great "after it went through the mixing board, the echo chamber and the mysterious X-factor that recording at Gold Star always seemed to add."

Stanley Herbert Ross was born Dec. 15, 1928, in New York City to Irving and Anna Rosenthal.

At 15, he moved to Los Angeles, where his father worked as an electrician in Hollywood.

While earning his diploma at Fairfax High School, Ross got a job at a recording studio called Electro-Vox and spent about four years learning from recording pioneer Bert B. Gottschalk.

When Ross sought a raise to $50 a week, Gottschalk balked, so the 21-year-old Ross quit to start his own recording studio with his friend Gold, the electronics wizard who would build all of their equipment.

The modest-looking studio at Santa Monica Boulevard and Vine Street took its name from its founders; the "Star" was a combination of "Stan" and the first letter of Ross' last name.

Gold Star started out as a demo studio but quickly started doing master recordings for record labels.

The echo chamber that Gold designed was a draw, but so was Ross' "tremendous personality," Gold said. "He was extremely likable and very outgoing."

When "young or inexperienced producers found themselves hopelessly out of their depth," Ross rescued them, Gold said.

Ross was also known for mentoring talent, including his cousin, Larry Levine, a recording engineer who worked closely with Spector.

By the 1980s, technology had made it possible for many bands to set up their own recording studios, essentially rendering Gold Star obsolete, Ross later said.

After Gold Star closed in 1984 and a mini-mall was built in its place, Ross liked to compare the studio to a long-playing record. It had been open 33 1/3 years.

Ross is survived by his wife of 62 years, Vera of Burbank; two sons, Jeff of Fountain Valley and Brad of San Diego; six grandchildren; and a sister, Ruth Schultz of Van Nuys.

valerie.nelson@latimes.com    http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-stan-ross-20110316,0,4063278.story
(Great photo of Gold & Ross in studio at link above.  ed.)

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 05:43:41 AM »

Hmmm...not sure what is meant by this: 
'The recordings were as diverse as... and the Beach Boys' classic 1966 album "Pet Sounds." Ross contributed the "saw" sound on the band's "Good Vibrations," said Lisa Sheridan, a screenwriter who worked with Ross.'

On just about all of the Boys' Gold Star sessions, Stan's cousin Larry Levine can be heard in the role of engineer.  Does anyone have a recording (or a link to one) in which Stan's voice can be heard (not a boot, but something like a YouTube clip of Stan being interviewed, for instance)?  I don't think I've ever heard his voice (and realized it, anyway), and I'd like to see if it matches the voice on any sessions I've heard.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »

Re 'I Got You Babe' Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZbtAFq7dP8
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 01:07:49 PM »

Saw sound on GV?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »

PHIL? PHIL CONNERS?!?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 11:11:39 PM »

Saw sound on GV?

My only guess is that it's supposed to be a reference to the electro-theramin; the sound is very similar to that of a saw being "played."  Last I checked, however, Ross wasn't a player on "Good Vibrations," let alone that particular instrument, so I'm not sure where Lisa Sheridan is getting that information.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »

Could the sawing be a reference to the bowing technique on the cellos?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »

PHIL? PHIL CONNERS?!?
Watch out for that first step, it's a doo-hoo-hoozy!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx