gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 07:13:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Feelin' (versions)  (Read 15229 times)
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2011, 01:48:43 PM »

Maybe others around here can pinpoint exactly what these are, but what were the three versions of "I'm In Great Shape"?

They were the same backing tracks as have been circulating for a while now. Recorded October 27 at a Heroes and Villains session. From my notes:

"The first take features a heavily-reverbed piano or tack piano, played in the lower register, medium-slow tempo. Over the piano is a saxophone playing the eggs and grits melody. All three takes feature a “tape explosion” as heard in the Cantina H&V. The second take is very similar, but a bit faster and a brighter sound to the piano. The third take is my favorite. It features a plucked sound – maybe piano strings taped down? The sax plays staccato notes. The bass line is great in this third take, as it does some little jaunty runs a la Child Is Father Of The Man."

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2011, 01:50:54 PM »

Catbirdman, if I can ask about a few of those, get your comments on them:
Baby, Baby. This is a Dennis song from 1971.
I've always had an interest in this one, it's a bit of a rocker right? Love to hear it one day.

Solar System. Instrumental track only.
This has to be killer, gosh I'm jealous.

Intro – Ecology
What's that like?

Had To Phone Ya. Instrumental track.
I've heard this, it's glorious.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2011, 02:05:56 PM »

Catbirdman, if I can ask about a few of those, get your comments on them:
I've always had an interest in this one, it's a bit of a rocker right? Love to hear it one day.

From my notes:

There were some false starts and by the time it got to the complete version I think it was on take 5. It was a slow boogie-woogie piano kind of thing, with Dennis goofing around over that. I can’t remember any of the lyrics but it was silly. There was a blues guitar on the track. It would make a nice companion to Walkin’, but it was even rougher than that track.

This has to be killer, gosh I'm jealous.

Oh, this was a trip! From my notes:

Alan Boyd, on a sudden inspiration, challenged us with this: “I’d be interested to see how many of you can sing along to this…” and then with no further introduction as to what we were about to hear, he proceeded to jar our headphones with:

Solar System. Instrumental track only. I made my entrance on “the planets,” missing the first two words. Not bad for a song that has vocals from the top. I doubt anyone would deny that I was the biggest singing fool in the room on this one. Pity, ‘cause I missed the nuances of the instruments. But hell, the Beach Boys are all about having fun, right? And I wasn’t the only one singing. Alan visibly got a charge out of watching the room get lost in space. Who wouldn’t be? The line about Mars really choked me up, too, I have to say.

Intro – Ecology
What's that like?

Well, you've probably heard some of it already. From my notes:

Part of this has often been referred to as “All Of My Love.” Actually, there are a number of sections to it, and more than anything other than Rio Grande or SMiLE itself, this music smacks of “grand-suite-itis.” Most of the pieces overlapped each other, begging the question of whether Dennis planned on editing them together in that sequence or if they just happened to end up on tape that way. Again, Mr. Desper stressed that the music of this time was a collection of works-in-progress, and Dennis was feeling his way through. But the title of the track certainly suggests a larger frame story. The first section of “Intro – Ecology” is the “all of my love” choral section as heard on the track many of us have heard. It’s Dennis, double-, triple-, and kazilliontuple-tracked with himself so that it sounds like a huge choir. Then there’s a count-in to a different section. We hear water bubble sounds and exotic Moog sounds over a shimmery Eastern-flavored track. If you’re familiar with Pink Floyd’s Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Richard Wright’s keyboard parts in particular, that will give you a feel for the mood (and harmonic mode) of this section. Dennis had laid down some backing vocals as well, and I can hear the exact melody in my head, a chant-like “run, run, river run / move the body.” This section was WAY COOL. Then there’s another overlapping count-in and a new section begins. This one, in a faster tempo, is based on a piano playing arpeggiated chords VERY much like in the opening of River Song. That section then segues into a final section that I was familiar with; I think it’s usually called “Quad Symphony” or some such. This particular part features some organ trills played in a very fast baroque style.

I've heard this, it's glorious.

Glorious indeed. I got a little carried away with this one in my notes (hey, I was younger then):

Yes, I am biased toward the 15 Big Ones material. To me it is the John The Baptist to Love You’s Jesus. Virtually no one on this Earth agrees with me, so I’ll accept it and shut up. But this track would blow me away no matter what album it comes from. The internet is plagued with hyperbole. With all the people infesting this world, you get every imaginable permutation of sickness in word and thought and it’s all collected for us on the internet. So maybe I’m just adding my sludge to the foul pool, but I will stand up and say it clearly: This track is as good as Pet Sounds. Better. With vocals or without, I would stand by that statement. In this case it was just the instruments. Has anyone ever REALLY sat down and listened to this track? Why is it not consistently listed as one of Brian’s top 10 pocket symphonies? The version that was played to us was a much fuller arrangement, most notably due to the addition/emphasis of a bed of strings that ran throughout the song. The final version on 15 Big Ones was cut back considerably, but it is still majestic. Add the words (one of Brian’s most brilliant guided tours of the mystic minutiae of everyday life – ultimately an essay on human longing) and it’s a masterpiece.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:07:43 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2011, 02:08:24 PM »

What else was played there that we haven't heard?
Below is the full list of tracks that was played at that convention in 2003. I took notes on each of the individual tracks so if you want to hear anything more about any of the tracks specifically just let me know. Many of the tracks are now widely traded amongst collectors, but at the time most of it was "new."

“Sneak Preview” Listening Session, Friday Night, August 9.
As a special treat, Stephen Desper played us the unreleased second album by the Flame. I really dug this. I didn't write down all the titles for some reason, but some of them I did: Seven Sisters, Sigh Baby Sigh, Sunny Skies, Sweet Jane, and Thank Someone. Sweet Jane was not the Lou Reed song.

Official Listening Session #1, Saturday afternoon, August 10.
Busy Doin' Somethin' (Convention Theme Song) - written and recorded by Alan Boyd
Cottonfields. Vocals only.
I’m In Great Shape, version #1
It’s A New Day. Dennis solo track from 1971.
Da Doo Ron Ron. Keepin’ The Summer Alive outtake.
I’m In Great Shape, version #2
Won’t You Tell Me. This is a Rick Henn/Murry-driven track from 1970.
I’m Going Your Way. Dennis solo, 1969.
Kiss Me Baby, instrumental track only.
Walkin’. 1969 Sunflower outtake.
Vega-Tables. First version.
Caroline, No. Stars ‘n’ Stripes, 1996. Backing vocals only.
Shake, Rattle, & Roll. 15 Big Ones outtake, 1976.
Intro – Ecology. 1971, Dennis solo track.
Please Let Me Wonder. Live 1965 in Chicago.
Our Sweet Love. Instrumental track and partial backing vocals only.
I’m In Great Shape, version #3
Wonderful. Live from the “box set tour,” 1993.
California Feelin’ demo. 1974.
Wouldn’t It Be Nice To Live Again. 1971, Dennis solo.

Official Listening Session #2, Saturday afternoon, August 10.
Warmth Of The Sun. Stars & Stripes, 1996. Backing vocals only.
Add Some Music To Your Day. Alternate lyrics.
Honda 55. 1964 studio session for radio commercial.
Mona Kani. 20/20 outtake, 1968.
Vega-Tables/Take A Load Off Your Feet (medley). Live from the “unplugged” tour, 1993.
Back Home. Demo version, 1970.
Back Home. Sunflower outtake, 1970.
Slip On Through. Instrumental track, 1969.
Tones. March 1967.
Running Bear. 15 Big Ones outtake, 1976.
Fig Plucker. 20/20 Sessions, 1968.
Breakaway. Vocals-only version.
Boys And Girls. Keepin’ The Summer Alive outtake, 1979.
Time To Get Alone. Partial vocals.
Only With You. Live from Carnegie Hall, 1972.
Surf’s Up. Piano demo. Vocals only.

“Bonus Tracks” – impromptu listening session, Saturday night, August 10.
Country Air. Stereo Mix.
Companion. Dennis solo.
I Can Hear Music. Live on the tour with Chicago, 1975.
All Day. Recorded January 3, 1967 at the tail end of a Heroes And Villains session.
Wind Chimes. Smiley Smile version, stereo mix.

I could live with this comp being officially released.... thanks for sharing Catbirdman.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2011, 02:15:38 PM »

“Sneak Preview” Listening Session, Friday Night, August 9.
As a special treat, Stephen Desper played us the unreleased second album by the Flame. I really dug this. I didn't write down all the titles for some reason, but some of them I did: Seven Sisters, Sigh Baby Sigh, Sunny Skies, Sweet Jane, and Thank Someone. Sweet Jane was not the Lou Reed song.

Now that's a treat indeed. Could you tell us about these songs a bit more?

And more in general: was this convention - with all these listening sessions - a unique event? Or was this done more often during conventions at the time? Must have been a real highlight for Beach Boys fans.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2011, 02:26:15 PM »

Wasn't "Pattycake" actually a translated cover of a weird French song? Or am I wrong? Anyway, it seems like we lost a great 1974 Brian album because he fell into depression. Think about it:

It's OK
Good Timin'
California Feelin'
Ding Dang
Pattycake (don't know if this was even good, but whatever)
Just an Imitation
Child of Winter
Lucy Jones (personally never heard it)

It seems like Brian went on a little songwriting tear after Murray died. At least 3 or 4 of those songs could've been potential singles. Add in a Dennis song or two and you have a rocking album.
MBE
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2011, 04:01:41 PM »

Gosh Steve did play me a little over the phone but I promised not to record it and I didn't. It's hard to remember exactly what he played but it may have been part of Baby Baby. I forgot all about that. I did not hear CF or WIBNTLA. I did hear a few Flame cuts and they were very good. I don't think Carl produced them.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »

Yes, I am biased toward the 15 Big Ones material. To me it is the John The Baptist to Love You’s Jesus. Virtually no one on this Earth agrees with me, so I’ll accept it and shut up.

I think that more people would feel this way if 15 Big Ones was remixed.  I've only heard a couple of experiments as far as that goes, but they were shocking.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2011, 05:22:29 PM »

Now that's a treat indeed. Could you tell us about these songs a bit more?

And more in general: was this convention - with all these listening sessions - a unique event? Or was this done more often during conventions at the time? Must have been a real highlight for Beach Boys fans.

Will do. I just started a thread on this subject, and I will post more to it shortly...

Yes, I am biased toward the 15 Big Ones material. To me it is the John The Baptist to Love You’s Jesus. Virtually no one on this Earth agrees with me, so I’ll accept it and shut up.

I think that more people would feel this way if 15 Big Ones was remixed.  I've only heard a couple of experiments as far as that goes, but they were shocking.

Oh man, I would LOVE to hear that kind of thing.

Bill Ed
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »

I just listened to the Pamplin version on youtube.  Great vocals? Way better than Carl's, eh?

You guys are a little early. Post again in a week.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2011, 11:54:56 PM »

I just listened to the Pamplin version on youtube.  Great vocals? Way better than Carl's, eh?

What does that mean?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2011, 12:09:52 AM »

As much as I would love to hear this, I hope that it is NOT "leaked". Diehard collectors and hoarders are a fickle bunch. If somebody let this slip out without "authorization", then it may well completely ruin our chances of hearing something really obscure like "Lucy Jones" or "You're Riding High On The Music". Not that our chances of hearing those recordings are even high enough to be considered.  Grin To get right to the point....we don't want to piss off the wrong people.  Wink

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2011, 01:05:04 AM »

Never said that, but the 1978 BB version just plods... plods... plods.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2011, 05:49:19 AM »

As much as I would love to hear this, I hope that it is NOT "leaked". Diehard collectors and hoarders are a fickle bunch. If somebody let this slip out without "authorization", then it may well completely ruin our chances of hearing something really obscure like "Lucy Jones" or "You're Riding High On The Music". Not that our chances of hearing those recordings are even high enough to be considered.  Grin To get right to the point....we don't want to piss off the wrong people.  Wink

I agree.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »

Never said that, but the 1978 BB version just plods... plods... plods.

I always thought the tape ran slow on the bootleg or is it really like that?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »

I'm kinda surprised nobody has mentioned much interest in hearing Brian's 1975 re-recording of "In the Back of My Mind" where he apparently alternates between the old and the new voice. That seems like something that would be incredible to hear. Has anybody heard that?
MBE
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »

That is in my top ten things I want to hear. Especally if a date can be pinpointed down on it.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx