gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:42:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 357 358 359 360 361 [362] 363 364 365 366 367 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728586 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9025 on: November 03, 2011, 11:57:15 AM »

Man, this was the worst time for my power to go out. I've been sleeping on people's couches all week. I still haven't listened to most of disc 3 and any of disc 5.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9026 on: November 03, 2011, 12:06:47 PM »

I then had to carry it home on a bus and a train since i'm blind and can't drive...the packaging looks great in pictures but until you physically hold it in your hands you don't get the full effect.

Anyone?

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9027 on: November 03, 2011, 12:07:32 PM »

There are different levels of being blind. It doesn't necessarily mean you can't see anything at all.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9028 on: November 03, 2011, 12:11:54 PM »

Please! the quoted statements were ludicrous and deserving of total ridicule

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9029 on: November 03, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »

no. there are different degrees of being blind. too blind to drive is not the same as not being able to see.

prefect319
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9030 on: November 03, 2011, 12:22:20 PM »

I then had to carry it home on a bus and a train since i'm blind and can't drive...the packaging looks great in pictures but until you physically hold it in your hands you don't get the full effect.

Anyone?

I'm not totally blind but i'm blind enough that i  can't drive.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9031 on: November 03, 2011, 12:34:06 PM »

Anyone else add their RSD and Mojo records to the box  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: November 03, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »

Anyone else add their RSD and Mojo records to the box  Grin

Where can I put them in?

Edit, RSD 78 fits on top - perfect!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:57:04 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: November 03, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »

Go to disc 5, Track 23 Good, Good, Good Vibrations and open it in audacity. Split setereo track to mono and invert one channel. SUCCESS. Nearly a capella GGGV (With jaw harp and a VERY quiet backing track.) I'm sure there are people stuck who would like to hear this Post Mortem, but they must first prove their ownership of the right materials....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:04:33 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: November 03, 2011, 01:04:54 PM »

I have the Record Store Day 78 but need a Mojo 45.   Would someone consider parting with one for sale/trade?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9035 on: November 03, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »

This is a stupid question but the Double vinyl that comes with the box set is the Vinyl that is on sale as one of the formats, right, or is the vinyl on sale different?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9036 on: November 03, 2011, 01:27:11 PM »

I have the Record Store Day 78 but need a Mojo 45.   Would someone consider parting with one for sale/trade?

“We live in divisive times.”
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: November 03, 2011, 01:27:19 PM »

This is a stupid question but the Double vinyl that comes with the box set is the Vinyl that is on sale as one of the formats, right, or is the vinyl on sale different?

The actual records themselves are the same, the cover is slightly different-true track listing on standard LP and apparently exclusive inner sleeve art (Has that been seen/cleared up yet?)

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9038 on: November 03, 2011, 01:47:15 PM »

no. there are different degrees of being blind. too blind to drive is not the same as not being able to see.

Oh, I'm not really ridiculing.  Just made me chuckle.  I understood that was likely the case.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: November 03, 2011, 03:23:25 PM »

Did everyone answer Brian's google question of the day today?

Also did I read right or was there supposed to be some type of surprise from Brian's facebook on 11-1?  What was it?  Was it the premiere of the H&V video?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: November 03, 2011, 03:24:31 PM »

http://www.collapseboard.com/blogs/joseph-kyle/know-when-to-fold-em-the-beach-boys-should-have-fired-brian-wilson-after-pet-sounds/

Check this out! This guy is on some sort of trip!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: November 03, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »

I have the Record Store Day 78 but need a Mojo 45.   Would someone consider parting with one for sale/trade?

Mikie, someone on eBay are:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mojo-60s-Beach-Boys-Smile-mint-7-yellow-vinyl-/260882919784?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item3cbdd57168#ht_500wt_1413

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9042 on: November 03, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »

Well finally heard the whole box set as of yesterday. Non disc 1 highlights include:
-Heroes And Villains: I’m In Great Shape: I love how Van plays the Celeste in the beginning.
-Heroes And Villains: Bag Of Tricks: VERY trippy session. I swear it's a Psycodelic Sounds track  LOL
-Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised: Love how this builds up
-Heroes And Villains: Part 2: Interesting. Never heard that melody before.
-Psycodelic Sounds: Brian Falls Into A Microphone: Notable because Brian er...dies  Tongue
-Do You Like Worms part 1: Just in love with the melody line Brian sings.
-Wonderful version 1: Great to hear the backing track so clear. Based on this, I imagine Brian slowed it down during editing?
-Vegetables Fade: Pretty cool to hear this build up. Always loved this piece of music.
-Holidays session: Hearing Brian sing a melody line plus to hear this in stereo equals a double treat.
-Wind Chimes (version 2 tag): Don't think I had ever heard that in stereo before. Check out 1:55...that's heard during the heroes piano theme as well isn't it? It sounds like some kind of American standard but I can't but my finger on it.
-The Da Da sessions...all of them
-Cool Cool Water (version 1): Really awesome session
-Cool Cool Water (version 2): (Brian?) plays that ending piano part that breaks down during the part 2 Da Da session!
-You're Welcome session: Just for the end  LOL
-Teeter Totter Love: Just for the track. AGD is right, Jasper couldn't sing at all  LOL
-Good Vibrations: Sunset Sound 5/24/66 (Parts 2 & 3): There's a really interesting woodwind part here I never heard before. Love it.
-Good Vibrations: Western 5/27/66 (Chorus): Mainly for Brian insinuating that the Wrecking Crew is drunk.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: November 03, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »

My single CD edition just arrived here in California from Amazon UK.   Yes, I know that I just dropped the equivalent of $17 on a mere duplicate of Disc 1 in the box.  BUT it's in a jewel case with a very happy cover and a nifty white spine that reads "SMILE * THE BEACH BOYS" (not 'Sessions').  It looks pretty cool in my CD rack between the 1990 Pet Sounds and Smiley/WH CDs.  Grin
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #9044 on: November 03, 2011, 03:57:43 PM »

My single CD edition just arrived here in California from Amazon UK.   Yes, I know that I just dropped the equivalent of $17 on a mere duplicate of Disc 1 in the box.  BUT it's in a jewel case with a very happy cover and a nifty white spine that reads "SMILE * THE BEACH BOYS" (not 'Sessions').  It looks pretty cool in my CD rack between the 1990 Pet Sounds and Smiley/WH CDs.  Grin
Nice.

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9045 on: November 03, 2011, 03:59:44 PM »

Picture please. I may be persuaded to order this as well. lol
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9046 on: November 03, 2011, 04:17:01 PM »

I still have to pick up the single version, will do tomorrow..

Also want to pick up the vinyl just in case  it's different from the Vinyl's we got in our box sets...

Also going to pick up the double disc again because I lost my badge 

I'm insane

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9047 on: November 03, 2011, 04:19:31 PM »

True story:

The last two mornings I have woken up with the SMiLE "bicycle rider" sections from DYLW playing in my head.  So, even if I don't happen to be spinning SMiLE physically at the moment, it is spinning in my unconscious mind!!!

Spinning in my dreams!

Grin

Love it!

It's my ringtone.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9048 on: November 03, 2011, 04:21:51 PM »

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:41:04 AM by juggler » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #9049 on: November 03, 2011, 04:25:55 PM »

I've considered buying the one disc version for novelty purposes, too, and I sure as frig don't have money to be spendin' on no novelty items. Damn, that looks cool - exactly as I imagined it would, really (unless it says SMiLE on the spine, in which case, it said Smile in my head. But otherwise the same).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:27:04 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 359 360 361 [362] 363 364 365 366 367 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx