gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:34:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 356 357 358 359 360 [361] 362 363 364 365 366 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1734823 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #9000 on: November 03, 2011, 02:14:54 AM »

Hmm.. I wonder if you could increase the volume on the vintage vocal in the Holidays sessions to place it on the backing track. I doubt you'd hear much but it'd be very cool. I'm gonna try that some day.

There's a vintage vocal on the Holidays session?Huh?

(Haven't heard the box yet, just the 2CD)
MBE
« Reply #9001 on: November 03, 2011, 02:20:11 AM »

Wow just played the 2 LP vinyl. This is stunning! If this had come out in 1966-67 it would have been just amazing. Now I know it probably wouldn't have been exactly like this, but even if it was close. I always liked this material but man it never sounded so fantastic. I doubt I'll listen much to the 2004 anymore but if it led to this...! It just makes so much sense in a way it never had. Despite a few missing lyrics that weren't finished, this is a complete record now. AGAIN It is stunning! One of a kind! Fantastic. I'm gushing but who cares THIS WAS WORTH THE WAIT!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9002 on: November 03, 2011, 02:22:50 AM »

how is the stuff on side 4?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9003 on: November 03, 2011, 02:24:37 AM »

Hmm.. I wonder if you could increase the volume on the vintage vocal in the Holidays sessions to place it on the backing track. I doubt you'd hear much but it'd be very cool. I'm gonna try that some day.

Yeah man. Hard to hear the vocals, but Brian's playing Holidays on the piano and singing along.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #9004 on: November 03, 2011, 02:28:36 AM »

Yeah man. Hard to hear the vocals, but Brian's playing Holidays on the piano and singing along.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9005 on: November 03, 2011, 02:51:46 AM »

By the way, can someone hear what lyrics he's singing?

It just sounds like wordless vocals to me but only listening through a small ipod speaker right now. Not 100% convinced it's a vocal melody he's singing although there's a chance. He could just be voicing the instrumental parts, or just messing around. It is great to hear him singing on this and the worms session though, however brief and quiet it is.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9006 on: November 03, 2011, 03:01:32 AM »

Wow just played the 2 LP vinyl. This is stunning! If this had come out in 1966-67 it would have been just amazing. Now I know it probably wouldn't have been exactly like this, but even if it was close. I always liked this material but man it never sounded so fantastic. I doubt I'll listen much to the 2004 anymore but if it led to this...! It just makes so much sense in a way it never had. Despite a few missing lyrics that weren't finished, this is a complete record now. AGAIN It is stunning! One of a kind! Fantastic. I'm gushing but who cares THIS WAS WORTH THE WAIT!

The vinyl sounds incredible!!!  Still haven't played the 45's but I suspect they will be awesome as well.  I only wish the whole box was released on vinyl.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9007 on: November 03, 2011, 03:03:24 AM »

Here's a question I've been dying to ask...  Did anyone actually buy the surfboard set?  How about the light up box?  'Fess up if you've got 'em!
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9008 on: November 03, 2011, 03:04:23 AM »

It just sounds like wordless vocals to me but only listening through a small ipod speaker right now. Not 100% convinced it's a vocal melody he's singing although there's a chance. He could just be voicing the instrumental parts, or just messing around. It is great to hear him singing on this and the worms session though, however brief and quiet it is.

It's definitely a vocal melody, with lyrics. "It goes like this after the second chorus, AND LOVE IS DEE DA DADI AND I CAN'T JUST "... or something. Maybe he's just improvising but the melody is great and I'd kill to hear it recorded.
MBE
« Reply #9009 on: November 03, 2011, 03:21:27 AM »

The vinyl sounds incredible!!!  Still haven't played the 45's but I suspect they will be awesome as well.  I only wish the whole box was released on vinyl.
I could have writen that myself!
MBE
« Reply #9010 on: November 03, 2011, 03:22:30 AM »

how is the stuff on side 4?
Very cool but I must admit I like the mono better.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9011 on: November 03, 2011, 04:03:34 AM »

(Gasp...) got my box just an hour ago. Cycling home was a hard and tiring process, as you will understand, and yet some student almost managed to drive the steer of his wonky sports bike, with handles and brakes, straight into the soft leather bag with aforementioned behemoth motherload item, which was hanging around my hip. You choose the relatively safest way, and still some bozo almost manages to, well, cause your first heart attack.

But now it's safely home. Oh, what weekend is awaiting me...   Cool
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:06:03 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9012 on: November 03, 2011, 04:57:30 AM »

At which time in the track?

It's definitely a vocal melody, with lyrics. "It goes like this after the second chorus, AND LOVE IS DEE DA DADI AND I CAN'T JUST "... or something. Maybe he's just improvising but the melody is great and I'd kill to hear it recorded.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9013 on: November 03, 2011, 05:22:21 AM »

1:22
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9014 on: November 03, 2011, 05:23:58 AM »

...is the right answer.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9015 on: November 03, 2011, 05:30:28 AM »

Weird, it starts at 1:10 for me  Huh
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9016 on: November 03, 2011, 05:48:08 AM »

Thanks!  Smiley

The first few notes seem to follow the clarinet line, but I'm not sure if it's the same notes or a harmony line. Words are unintelligible. Brian should have finished this...  Sad

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9017 on: November 03, 2011, 06:11:39 AM »

Good Vibrations (inspiration) is bad ass!  Rock!
RCTID
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9018 on: November 03, 2011, 09:13:25 AM »

my replacement box set has a damaged book!

has anyone else received the box set with a... "defective" book?

"you've got the beach boys...your firms got the stones"
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9019 on: November 03, 2011, 09:49:15 AM »

Just to let everyone know -- the version of "Vega-Tables" on the 45 is a completely different mix from the "album" version. "Surf's Up" is the same as on the CDs. Haven't played the "H&V" 45 yet, but I assume it's the same as the "Part 1" and "Part 2" on the 2-CD set.

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #9020 on: November 03, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »

True story:

The last two mornings I have woken up with the SMiLE "bicycle rider" sections from DYLW playing in my head.  So, even if I don't happen to be spinning SMiLE physically at the moment, it is spinning in my unconscious mind!!!

Spinning in my dreams!

Grin

Love it!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:04:02 PM by heysaboda » Logged

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #9021 on: November 03, 2011, 10:21:54 AM »

frig all the people downloading for free and not buying the box set  Cry

It's sad that people would download it and not pay for some format of it.

I bought the 5 CD set, the 2 CD set and also have the SINGLE CD on order.

You can call me crazy!

I feel like my head totally explodes every time I put the CD on!!!!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9022 on: November 03, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »

Oh my, So, I just got the box set today, I never in a million years expected it to be so beautiful

Everything is so perfect, I'm thinking of buying a second one just to keep it in the packaging etc

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
prefect319
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9023 on: November 03, 2011, 11:30:18 AM »

Ok so on tuesday morning i walked into best buy and walked out with the box set. I then had to carry it home on a bus and a train since i'm blind and can't drive. That was an interesting experience. I'd heard the samples online and was so so ready to hear what  it all sounded like. I've been a fan of these guys since i was seven which was right around the time the gv box set came out. So i get home, put this on, and am blown away. Someone earlier on this board said that even after hearign brian's smile this one was a revelation and i totally get that. T/his mix is so pristine and it brings out things you've never heard on bootlegs.  The sessions are fascinating and even if you've heard the sot sessions this is more concise and it works better. Ok so some things i've noticed or just want to comment on .
-the packaging looks great in pictures but until you  physically hold it in your hands you don't get the full effect.
-i sort of expected this to be like purple chicks mix of the album and was pleasantly surprised when i heard how different it was. I'd been reading the boards for a week and so things trickled out but  samples and typed words do not an album make. This was so good. I've played this disc about five times now and love it more with each playing.
-the end of old master painter is great with the barnshine section added in
-the version of child here is great with those new vocals and all the sections so clear.
-surfs up sounds great because it takes elements from all previous versions and melds them in a unique way
-love vega-tables with all the sections edited this way
-love having holidays so clear now. Its cool to hear that piano(i think) underneath the marimba
-love that during fire you can hear that part right before the last sections that was only previously available with the sound effects on top. They did a good job of reducing those so you can just hear the music.
-surfs up 67 is as good as everyone say it is. Question though, do you think brian purposly played the second movement in the same key and changed at the end or do you think he realized midway through "oh dear i'm in the wrong key"

one other observation before i stop
The first version of wonderful on the sessions disc is the same one that is on the album only it seems that brian slowed it down for the album and then sang on  it. Incredible.
Sorry for my long post but had to get this off my chest somehow. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9024 on: November 03, 2011, 11:55:47 AM »

The sessions are fascinating and even if you've heard the sot sessions this is more concise and it works better. Ok so some things i've noticed or just want to comment on .
-the packaging looks great in pictures but until you  physically hold it in your hands you don't get the full effect.
-i sort of expected this to be like purple chicks mix of the album and was pleasantly surprised when i heard how different it was. I'd been reading the boards for a week and so things trickled out but  samples and typed words do not an album make. This was so good. I've played this disc about five times now and love it more with each playing.
-the end of old master painter is great with the barnshine section added in
-the version of child here is great with those new vocals and all the sections so clear.
-surfs up sounds great because it takes elements from all previous versions and melds them in a unique way
-love vega-tables with all the sections edited this way
-love having holidays so clear now. Its cool to hear that piano(i think) underneath the marimba
-love that during fire you can hear that part right before the last sections that was only previously available with the sound effects on top. They did a good job of reducing those so you can just hear the music.
-surfs up 67 is as good as everyone say it is.

My sentiments exactly.

I'll also add that the 'Surf's Up: Talking Horns' session is FANTASTIC....I love that sound. And I really thought everyone here was overhyping the '67 Surf's Up, so I didn't get my hopes up too much....when Brian sings that first "Domino" - oh wow. I can't even describe my emotions then. It just sounds so bloody fantastic. the hype is real.

I anxiously awaited the mailman today. He put some mail in the box and started to drive away....my heart sank....then he stopped, put it in reverse, and drove up my driveway and dropped the package off. My heart leaped. He left and I went out and got it: I couldn't believe how much the package weighed! I put the first CD in my stereo system and listened. I was appalled at the quality....I was gearing up to join the people demanding a re-issue of sorts. It was so bad I stopped it and ripped it to my computer to see if that would make any difference....apparently my stereo system is broken. This set sounds superb....It's just beautiful. Yes, some parts have some hissing, others, you can tell it's from an acetate.....but mostly, this is just stunning. I'm still in shock over the beauty of both versions of 'Surf's Up'....

Every session sounds so crisp and clear. Gah, I'm back to listening & to read the book. Thanks to everyone who had a hand in putting this set together....it really is a beautiful thing.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 358 359 360 [361] 362 363 364 365 366 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx