gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:19:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 352 353 354 355 356 [357] 358 359 360 361 362 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1737457 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8900 on: November 02, 2011, 03:52:40 AM »

How do you know the SS set actually is in the shipping box if you don't look inside? I mean, if the  Amazon employee responsible had drunk the night before, for all I know there might be a James Last box set inside.

James Last ain't that bad either! Grin

Did you get your box, Don?

Oh, either late this afternoon, or tomorrow surely. I've been ill a couple of days and booked the money this morning. But my own retailer (been that for 30+ years now) has it safely stored away for me to collect, sealed and all. Great thought, this. And reading the board is such a fine buildup to the listening sessions...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8901 on: November 02, 2011, 03:53:19 AM »

Even my Beagle is stunned...

Cute dog. 

Did you tell your dog to stare exclusively at the word 'SMiLE' whilst taking the photo?

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8902 on: November 02, 2011, 04:18:34 AM »

Do we know if H&V part 1 is a remix or still the battered safety copy that that mix usually originates from?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8903 on: November 02, 2011, 04:20:14 AM »

Cute dog. 

Did you tell your dog to stare exclusively at the word 'SMiLE' whilst taking the photo?

No. He let the dog smoke reefer before shooting. It's just staring a bit.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8904 on: November 02, 2011, 05:11:29 AM »

Obvious question time: Why are some of the Holmes drawings in the booklet making reference to BWPS lyrics?  Holmes dated these drawings as being created in 1996 (probably for the scrapped 1996 SMiLE box).  Why then are there allusions to "Milky Way" "Ukelele Lei Day" etc?

Coincidence, I guess.

And, uh... just had a facepalm moment listening to a hidden track. The famous "million units... in January" quote refers to all Capitol releases that month, not just Smile.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:14:47 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #8905 on: November 02, 2011, 05:42:02 AM »

And, uh... just had a facepalm moment listening to a hidden track. The famous "million units... in January" quote refers to all Capitol releases that month, not just Smile.

That makes a whole lot of sense, I was curious why it sounded...open ended. For a second I thought it was a whole reel and the announcer was "practicing" before beginning the actual promo.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8906 on: November 02, 2011, 05:47:39 AM »

That makes a whole lot of sense, I was curious why it sounded...open ended. For a second I thought it was a whole reel and the announcer was "practicing" before beginning the actual promo.

Yeah... only took me something like 30 years to work that out.  Grin

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8907 on: November 02, 2011, 06:50:53 AM »

I have a feeling that 66' Brian would find a great deal of meaning in that photograph.  Remember when there was some type of eclipse happening and Brian thought that Banana was somehow sensing what was going on because he turned his head towards the direction of where the eclipse was going to go down?  Yeah I could see Brian putting together a dissertation about that photograph right there.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:52:19 AM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8908 on: November 02, 2011, 07:19:29 AM »

Woo hoo - my box has just arrived - not disappointed in any way shape or form - its magnificent

Cheers

Richard
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #8909 on: November 02, 2011, 07:33:58 AM »

Sprung for this and got it yesterday.  What I am telling my musician friends: this is more fun than I was expecting.  The "reconstruction" of the Smile LP is astoundingly well done and the cleaned-up tracks never sounded better.  As we know there are some "Free As a Bird" artifacts where things were obviously flown in and pasted (vocal for I'm In Great Shape, the coda to Surf's Up from the 1971 completion, hum-be-dums in GV).  Some holes remain (i.e., where there were no lyrics or vocals done for "Do You Like Worms", "Holidays" and "Child").  So it is clearly unfinished but has the "sheen" of a finished structure, that can be played all the way through.  The reassembled "Heroes and Villains", "Wind Chimes"  and "Vegetables" stand out as audio alchemy at its best. 

I know some of the scholar types here are wringing their hands at seeing the "duct-taped" parts of the assembly, but at least the thing is a presentable listen, which is the whole point.  And Mark and Alan did figure out how to cover that one-beat dead space in the "Wind Chimes" transition: cover the hole with plate reverb!  Corny but effective.  Also a very "what would Brian do?" move.

The 2-LP vinyl has some nice surprises: I like the really good stereo mixes of H&V and Vegetables, and on the one 45 a stunning reassembly of the "alternate" version of Heroes and Villains, with the "three score and five" lines and the instrumental fade.  As far as I can tell this is a recreation of how the fabled "H&V Part I and Part II" single might have turned out.  It is the same version included in the 1993 box set but they got a much better source for it.

The session track CDs are a longer slog, only getting started on those. Though the vocal rehearsals and runthroughs  are fun (Brian saying "you feel the acid kick in?" before "Our Prayer").

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8910 on: November 02, 2011, 07:34:50 AM »

Longest. Week. Of. My. Life. Angry

Amazon, your shipping updates suck.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8911 on: November 02, 2011, 07:48:24 AM »

I'd never heard it.  When I first heard it last night, I took it as 'the album will sell a million units" then he was just saying that it's coming out in January again.  Not that the album (or all the albums together) would sell 1 million units in 1 month. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: November 02, 2011, 08:00:41 AM »

Very well done review, thank you for the link.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8913 on: November 02, 2011, 08:33:57 AM »

You should live in the UK - got my 2CD box yesterday, two days ahead of estimate (and I ordered it Saturday morning): meanwhile my box is en route from the States, ETA 11/10.

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: November 02, 2011, 08:38:48 AM »

Diane is hot hot hot

Cheers

Richard
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: November 02, 2011, 08:41:26 AM »

weird. For some reason Diane's essay is the one that moved me the most. To tears, actually.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8916 on: November 02, 2011, 08:43:09 AM »

I'd never heard it.  When I first heard it last night, I took it as 'the album will sell a million units" then he was just saying that it's coming out in January again.  Not that the album (or all the albums together) would sell 1 million units in 1 month. 

"If that isn't enough incentive to sell 1,000,000 units, how about adding one more ?... We're sure to sell a million units - in January"

Remember, the disc was a service for all the January releases, not just Smile. The much cheaper "GV" single took just over two months to sell a million.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: November 02, 2011, 08:43:20 AM »

Patience Grasshopper.

You Will be Rewarded Soon!

Grin

(UPS delivered my 5CD and 2CD sets yesterday.  Amazon had packed it so well that a Truck could have driven over it, and the contents would be unharmed.......

oh, it's heavenly, just heavenly....)

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: November 02, 2011, 08:50:19 AM »

IIRC, we both opted for Amazon's free super saver shipping.

My box arrived this morning.  Got the initial $110 price and free shipping, so I really can't complain.   One day after the release isn't bad.
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: November 02, 2011, 08:57:19 AM »

Smile Sessions is now on Pitchfork Review and gets a 10!

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16000-the-smile-sessions/
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: November 02, 2011, 09:06:30 AM »

I have a feeling that 66' Brian would find a great deal of meaning in that photograph.  Remember when there was some type of eclipse happening and Brian thought that Banana was somehow sensing what was going on because he turned his head towards the direction of where the eclipse was going to go down?  Yeah I could see Brian putting together a dissertation about that photograph right there.

Brian is more than welcome to write about my dog anytime! 

Quote from: Ron
As if it's possible to tell a Beagle to do anything!

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: November 02, 2011, 09:30:01 AM »

Smile Sessions is now on Pitchfork Review and gets a 10!

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16000-the-smile-sessions/
Bravo pitchfork! Thumbs Up

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: November 02, 2011, 10:28:22 AM »

Just got an email saying the box set has shipped -- hooray!

As for the 2-CD small box, I got concerned about losing the little button/badge that came with it, so now my Brian doll is wearing it.  Grin

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: November 02, 2011, 10:40:09 AM »

As for the 2-CD small box, I got concerned about losing the little button/badge that came with it, so now my Brian doll is wearing it.  Grin

You have a "Brian Wilson doll"?

Hmm  Wink

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: November 02, 2011, 10:43:19 AM »

Wonder what Brian would do if he saw his doll? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 354 355 356 [357] 358 359 360 361 362 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx